Official TPCI Pokemon Tournament 2009 | Congrats to all who participated!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess it's just because I've never tried it, but why would anyone want to "test battle" on a computer program when you could just go to the battle tower or friend code somebody. Wouldn't that be more reliable than some non-Nintendo-licensed computer program?

And again, I'm asking because I've never tried it.
Well, first of all, you can't use anything in-game, because the computer AI will not act how humans will act.

Secondly, computer simulated programs allow you to make a team very quickly without having to breed for IVs and EV train in-game, which is very tedious, especially if you find out the Pokemon doesn't work well.

Besides, hundreds use Shoddy and if there are any glitches or things that don't follow the game exactly, they're not common enough as to affect battlers on a normal basis.

I guess it's just because I've never tried it, but why would anyone want to "test battle" on a computer program when you could just go to the battle tower or friend code somebody. Wouldn't that be more reliable than some non-Nintendo-licensed computer program?

I for one can't get on wifi because of my college network. They don't have any problem with it, it's just that you have to enter the MAC address of the console and since DS doesn't use MAC addresses it can't connect to the network.

Of course it also saves the time put into breeding and whatnot until you figure out what works exactly.

froggy25

Bye RNGmon
is a Researcher Alumnus

There isn't all of these useless battle animations on shoddy / NB, you don't need to breed or sring, and finding an opponent is way more easy than on this crappy wifi feature.
So it saves lots and lots of time, obviously. :P

I hope announcement for Europe will come soon...

one of you main established guys need to start a tournament test tournament (if that makes sense) using showdown rules... it would be way better then just finding out that netbattle won't work on a mac. Is it still called showdown rules, or Champion Series rules?

I like this idea, it could give some of us new players a taste of this tournament.

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I for one can't get on wifi because of my college network. They don't have any problem with it, it's just that you have to enter the MAC address of the console and since DS doesn't use MAC addresses it can't connect to the network.

Of course it also saves the time put into breeding and whatnot until you figure out what works exactly.
Nothing connects to a network without a MAC address. Here's how you find yours:

1) Start Pokemon [version].

2) On the "Continue" menu, go to Nintendo WFC Settings.

3) Tap "Options".

4) Tap "System Information".

You've just found your MAC address!

Nothing connects to a network without a MAC address. Here's how you find yours:

1) Start Pokemon [version].

2) On the "Continue" menu, go to Nintendo WFC Settings.

3) Tap "Options".

4) Tap "System Information".

You've just found your MAC address!
Ahh it's still not working. I must of had the problem wrong google brings up FAQs from other universities and some of them say just enter the MAC and others say hardware limitations prevent it. I don't know I'll mess around with it later. Thanks alot though.

I wonder...

As this tourney will be done with Platinum, what will they do if the Field Effect glitch happens? What if Acid Trick Room happens? And someone brings out a Cherrim or Castform, causing the infinite form change loop?

TheFourthChaser

#TimeForChange
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
I wonder...

As this tourney will be done with Platinum, what will they do if the Field Effect glitch happens? What if Acid Trick Room happens? And someone brings out a Cherrim or Castform, causing the infinite form change loop?
Well for the endless form change loop they would probably either start the match over or declare the winner based on who has more pokemon when the loop starts(but that is just a guess).

Yes, but there will undoubtedly be uncompetitive players who think it is a good idea. I don't want to be about to sweep someone, switch something out (there ARE some viable strategies involving switching) and have my team killed by 5 weather effects stacked on each other, or have them bring in a Cherrim or Castform, crashing the game.

BlueCookies

April Fools 2009 Participant
VGC '10, '11, '12 Masters Champion
I wonder...

I'm 100% sure the glitch won't happen. First of all Pursuit is almost never seen. Second, you have to switch while a field effect is up. The only time this will likely happen is if someone is using TR and switches out their Smeargle or something. You pretty much have to dedicate your team to pulling off the glitch, and no one in their right mind will do that. Although, if I were to base my team off this glitch I wouldn't use Castform or Cherrim, I would use Walrein and try to set up acid hail so I restore 25% + lefties each turn :)

Yes, but there will undoubtedly be uncompetitive players who think it is a good idea. I don't want to be about to sweep someone, switch something out (there ARE some viable strategies involving switching) and have my team killed by 5 weather effects stacked on each other, or have them bring in a Cherrim or Castform, crashing the game.
Well, you should bring a Mamoswine just in case...

Seriously though, they would probably make it sudden death (three turns to gain a numerical advantage on the opponent). Also, I read somewhere that the use of "dangerous" glitches are banned from the tournament (cloning, tweaking, ditto learning any move glitch). I think they could just ban pursuit while a "weather" effect is on (although it's not in the double cup rules, so it can't be enforced). Basically, you have to find a way to deal with it or you should not switch when a weather effect is on (anyways, the glitch only activates if they KO your pokemon under field effects). Of course, the odds of this glitch happening with a cherrim or castform is so small that I doubt you should worry. tl;dr Do not switch a pokemon that can be OH-KO'ed by pursuit on that turn when field effects are up, and do not use pursuit yourself!

On a side note, can you guys please rate my Double Cup team?
http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52532

Dude, the acid trick room is not going to happen. If it did, it could be used competitively by taking out one pokemon and then using the glitch. :)

Doesn't pursuit hit the pokemon in that switches in in doubles? Someone in the field effect glicth thread said they tried activating it in doubles by switching out and targeting their own pokemon and it hit the one he switched in therefor not activating the glicth.

@haku16 = Go for a slow TR one. This could allow for Psyching up Belly Drum from Snorlax or just general attacking, since with a Choice Scarf Metagross is not really that much faster than normal.

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
what ages?

So...I'm 24...and I want to go to the qualifiers...but...I'm 24...

#1- Is there an age limit, like say 18 or something? I haven't seen anything explicitly stating yeah, or nay.
#2- Ior those of you who have actually been to the qualifiers in the past, if there is no age limit, are there actually adults who will show up, or am I going to look like some weirdo stalking some kiddie event?

Thanks!!!!

If you absolutely need to use Netbattle on OSX, go download and install WINE and you should be able to run it.
Actually it's Darwine. But, besides that, what version have you found to use? Whenever I try to open a ".exe" in Darwine I get the message "could not identify .exe type," or something like that. Will NetBattle only open using the Intel Darwine? (I have a 2004 PPC, I wouldn't be suprised if it didn't work.)

So...I'm 24...and I want to go to the qualifiers...but...I'm 24...

#1- Is there an age limit, like say 18 or something? I haven't seen anything explicitly stating yeah, or nay.
#2- Ior those of you who have actually been to the qualifiers in the past, if there is no age limit, are there actually adults who will show up, or am I going to look like some weirdo stalking some kiddie event?

Thanks!!!!
Dont worry, last year (in LA at least) there were MANY adults at the VGS. Dont worry, just go, play, and have fun!
No age limit either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)