Oh, My Head!! An OU Warstory...

Hiya there! Seth Vilo here, registered lurker on Smogon and friends. I recently had a battle with darkartisan on the Shoddy server, and decided (with his help XD) to warstory it! I’ve done one before, long ago, so decided it was time for another shot. The battle is much better, so I think the warstory will be as well. Never know.

In this battle, I’m using a team I composed because of a recent whim. Some of you may recognize it – there was recently a Community Create-A-Team that was similar to this format. I took that base and changed a couple things here and there. That’s right – Head Smash Aggron in OU!

Heading glance at my team:

---[Standard ladder rules]---
Artisan. sent out Azelf (lvl 100 Azelf).
Seth Vilo sent out Sandy (lvl 100 Hippowdon ?).
Sandy's Sand Stream whipped up a sandstorm!
A sandstorm brewed!
Seth Vilo: Good luck!
Alright. To begin, my hippo vs a pixie. I’m used to Taunt leads that have been popping up more and more often. My sandstorm will kill off his Sash next turn, so instead of this hippo possibly getting Taunted, I switch in order to kill it off next turn.

Seth Vilo switched in Kitty (lvl 100 Latias ?).
Azelf used Stealth Rock.
Pointed stones float in the air around the foe's team!
The sandstorm rages.
Kitty is buffetted by the sandstorm!
Kitty lost 6% of its health.
Azelf is buffetted by the sandstorm!
Azelf lost 6% of its health.
---

He didn’t Taunt. Oh well. 50/50 chance practically there! At least he’s dead now.
Meet the newest and most changeable member of the team, Scarf Latias. Typical set with Surf, Draco Meteor, and Thunderbolt as offensive moves. I want to just make sure this thing faints this turn if it stays. If not, something is gunna eat a Draco Meteor!

Kitty used Draco Meteor.
A critical hit!
Azelf lost 94% of its health.
Artisan.'s Azelf fainted.
Kitty's special attack was harshly lowered.
The sandstorm rages.
---

OVERKILL! You may be wondering, “Why the !$%@ did you bring out Latias this early?” One reason that I’ve used many times before, and is 33% likely – Scizor. That clever mantis comes in and Pursuits me, knowing I’ll switch out. Yes, Latias dies, but it’s the perfect opportunity for Aggron to come in and start smashing, and considering she (My Aggron’s a girl) can OHKO more than half of OU, I want to get smashin!

Artisan. switched in Gyarados (lvl 100 Gyarados ?).
Gyarados's intimidate cut Kitty's attack!

Curses. Great switch in at this point. With it being stupid to Draco Meteor again, I‘m going to my other Gyarados counter, Tinkerbell.

Seth Vilo switched in Tink (lvl 100 Celebi).
Pointed stones dug into Tink.
Tink lost 12% of its health.
Gyarados used Dragon Dance.
Gyarados's attack was raised.
Gyarados's speed was raised.
The sandstorm rages.
Gyarados is buffetted by the sandstorm!
Gyarados lost 6% of its health.
Tink is buffetted by the sandstorm!
Tink lost 6% of its health.
Gyarados's leftovers restored its health a little!
Gyarados restored 6% of its health.
Tink's leftovers restored its health a little!
Tink restored 6% of its health.
---

Safe on the Dragon Dance for Celebi to come in. Standard Defensive Celebi set for me, with Hidden Power Ice for silly dragons to have guts to come in and set up (I’m looking at you Salamence – no good counters my eye). I decide instead of switching back to Latias to attempt a Thunderbolt kill, I’m going to neuter this Gyarados with Thunder Wave. That’s another opportunity for Aggron to kill. >=)

Gyarados used Bounce.
Gyarados bounced up!
Tink used Thunder Wave.
Tink's attack missed!
The sandstorm rages.
Tink lost 6% of its health.
Tink's leftovers restored its health a little!
Tink restored 6% of its health.
---

Way to ruin my fun… All of my usual surprise sets are being used against me… I could risk Latias again, but Paralysis from Bounce would kill me. I don’t have a good switch here, particularly since my team kinda hates Water, so Celebi stays to Paralyze the silly fish when it lands.

Gyarados used Bounce.
It's super effective!
Tink lost 83% of its health.
Tink used Thunder Wave.
Gyarados is paralysed! It may be unable to move!
The sandstorm rages.
Tink lost 5% of its health.
Seth Vilo's Tink fainted.
---

Goal accomplished at the cost of Celebi’s life. Probably a dumb sacrifice on my part. That and Artisan now knows half my team, possibly guessing a couple others accurately *cough*Heatran*cough*. But I did manage to paralyze Gyarados. I think you can piece together what that means…

Seth Vilo switched in Cera (lvl 100 Aggron ?).
Pointed stones dug into Cera.
Cera lost 6% of its health.

Yes. The star member of this team, Choice Band Aggron. Those of you who remember Land Before Time, that explains the name and gender. I wonder what move I’ll do…

Cera used Head Smash.
It's super effective!
Gyarados lost 100% of its health.
Artisan.'s Gyarados fainted.
The sandstorm rages.
---

One down to Aggron’s kiler head. Next victim, please!

Artisan. switched in Metagross (lvl 100 Metagross).

Again he ruins my fun. Metagross is one of, if not THE best switch-in to CB Aggron. Drat. Since I’m assuming it’s not an uncommon mixed set, on to my defensive behemoth’s. I have Gyarados (Rest Talk) and Hippowdon. I go with the hippo for reliable recovery, and the possibility of getting Rocks up. You Stealth Rock-happy one should be happy I’m considering it at this point.

Seth Vilo switched in Sandy (lvl 100 Hippowdon ?).
Sandy's Sand Stream whipped up a sandstorm!
Pointed stones dug into Sandy.
Sandy lost 6% of its health.
Metagross used Earthquake.
Sandy lost 28% of its health.
Metagross lost 10% of its health.
The sandstorm rages.
Sandy's leftovers restored its health a little!
Sandy restored 6% of its health.
---

Offensive – check. Physical attacker – check. I’m thinking he’ll switch to something with a special attack, so Rocks it is.

Metagross used Agility.
Metagross's speed was sharply raised.
Sandy used Stealth Rock.
Pointed stones float in the air around the foe's team!
The sandstorm rages.
---

Well. I seem to be predicting wrong today. I seriously doubt that I would be able to KO Metagross at this point with my only attack, Earthquake I decide to Roar and deal with it another time. Good I did too – my Earthquake would have only done 57.1% - 68.1% to the standard Agiligross, courtesy of the Smogon Damage Calculator.

Metagross used Meteor Mash.
Sandy lost 40% of its health.
Metagross lost 10% of its health.
Sandy used Roar.
Artisan. switched in Tyranitar (lvl 100 Tyranitar ?).
Tyranitar's Sand Stream whipped up a sandstorm!
Pointed stones dug into Tyranitar.
Tyranitar lost 12% of its health.
The sandstorm rages.
---

That took out a good chunk of health! I underestimate the power of Meteor Miss frequently. I’m confident now that it doesn’t have Ice Punch, though, not that it matters much. I’m down to two moves to guess from – Thunderpunch and Explosion. Gyarados must tread carefully now… I decide to try an attack in case he decides to keep Tyranitar in and attempt a KO somehow. I’m running a full 252 Defense stat, though, so he might be in for a surprise…

Artisan. switched in Machamp (lvl 100 Machamp ?).
Pointed stones dug into Machamp.
Machamp lost 6% of its health.
Sandy used Earthquake.
Machamp lost 38% of its health.
The sandstorm rages.
Machamp is buffetted by the sandstorm!
Machamp's leftovers restored its health a little!
Machamp restored 6% of its health.
---

I hate Machamp. Almost as much as I hate Breloom, which is just almost as much as I hate losing appendages (hypothetical). Being low on health, I’m thinking I’ll try my luck a bit by Slacking Off and stalling out the inevitable DynamicPunch’s 8 PP. Having foolishly killed off celebi, I have no real switch in to the four armed confounding menace, so here goes nothing…

Machamp used Dynamicpunch.
Sandy lost 30% of its health.
Sandy became confused!
Sandy is confused!
It hurt itself in its confusion!
Sandy lost 5% of its health.
The sandstorm rages.
---

Well that stinks… At this low health, Hippowdon has become death-fodder, I’m sad to say. I Slack off again, knowing my fate is sealed. Pity, with me knowing he has a Tyranitar and Agiligross. I needed to be more careful with ol’ Sandy. Note to self there!

Machamp used Ice Punch.
It's super effective!
Sandy lost 22% of its health.
Seth Vilo's Sandy fainted.
The sandstorm rages.
---

I know that Machamp isn’t Choiced! And with Ice Punch, a Rest Talk is less likely. That being said, In comes the other behemoth, Gyarados. I might as well cut his attack down to a more mortal number. I may be able to pull out a Dragon Dance and kill it off if I can take the Stone Edge!

Seth Vilo switched in Gaston (lvl 100 Gyarados ?).
Gaston's intimidate cut Machamp's attack!
Pointed stones dug into Gaston.
Gaston lost 25% of its health.

Yep. Decided. I’m dancing.

Artisan. switched in Jolteon (lvl 100 Jolteon ?).
Pointed stones dug into Jolteon.
Jolteon lost 12% of its health.
Gaston used Dragon Dance.
Gaston's attack was raised.
Gaston's speed was raised.
The sandstorm rages.
Jolteon is buffetted by the sandstorm!
Jolteon lost 6% of its health.
Gaston is buffetted by the sandstorm!
Gaston lost 6% of its health.
Gaston's leftovers restored its health a little!
Gaston restored 6% of its health.
---

Oh come on. Was this made to counter me or something? Resistances being what they are I’m sending in Latias to take Thunderbolt. It’s probably a Specs Jolteon, so I should outspeed the thing with my Scarf and be able to kill it.

Seth Vilo switched in Kitty (lvl 100 Latias ?).
Pointed stones dug into Kitty.
Kitty lost 12% of its health.
Jolteon used Thunderbolt.
It's not very effective...
Kitty lost 23% of its health.
The sandstorm rages.
Jolteon is buffetted by the sandstorm!
Jolteon lost 6% of its health.
---

Good. I have decent health. I was a half second away from going with Surf for neutral damage on everything left. Then a thought runs through of what on God’s earth will be coming in to Latias. He know’s it’s Scarved, and I figure he knows I like Draco Meteor, so I have it narrowed down to Tyranitar or Metagross. I want to cripple something, so I go with what Platinum gave everything an its brother, Trick. Something’s getting a Scarf, and something probably doesn’t want it…

Artisan. switched in Metagross (lvl 100 Metagross).
Pointed stones dug into Metagross.
Metagross lost 6% of its health.
Kitty used Trick.
Kitty obtained Life Orb!
Metagross obtained Choice Scarf!
The sandstorm rages.
---

This I can work with. My Modest Latias exchanged Speed for 1.3x more damage. This Metagross is a key opponent I have to kill off – Meteor Mash’s neutrality and power could easily hurt Aggron, Earthquake kills Heatran and Aggron both, and that last move, either Thunderpunch or Explosion has me worried. Not risking healing Jolteon, and with Tyranitar still in the wings, I pick Surf.

Kitty used Surf.
Metagross lost 46% of its health.
Kitty lost 10% of its health.
Metagross used Explosion.
A critical hit!
Kitty lost 31% of its health.
Seth Vilo's Kitty fainted.
Artisan.'s Metagross fainted.
The sandstorm rages.
---

Gosh darn it! I didn’t have enough oomph to kill the robot, and it exploded. I lost Latias, but at least Metagross is out as well.

Time to regroup. We both have to send something in, duh. But what to send in? Heatran’s probably not the best choice, fearing Tyranitar and Machamp, as well as Jolteon’s neutral hits. Gyarados is just silly now, as I might be Intimidating Jolteon. That’s useless. That leaves the Smashing Maniac, Cera. Time for redemption.

Artisan. switched in Jolteon (lvl 100 Jolteon ?).
Seth Vilo switched in Cera (lvl 100 Aggron ?).

Thank God I didn’t go with Gyarados. I want to do the most damage possible. I think I was angry or something and not truly thinking. Head Smash is what I decided on.

Pointed stones dug into Jolteon.
Jolteon lost 12% of its health.
Pointed stones dug into Cera.
Cera lost 6% of its health.
Jolteon used Thunderbolt.
Cera lost 58% of its health.
Cera used Head Smash.
Jolteon lost 62% of its health.
Artisan.'s Jolteon fainted.
The sandstorm rages.
---

Goal accomplished. Gyarados can rest a bit easier now (quite literally). Thank God we’re both Sandstorm fans, or Aggron would be toast. Next what to smash?

Artisan. switched in Machamp (lvl 100 Machamp ?).
Pointed stones dug into Machamp.

Figured he’d throw out a Rock resist. Doesn’t matter. Head Smash can finish off the thing, which is at around 50% health at this point. Head Smash is that powerful. I’m EV’d to outspeed Skarmory, and I know it’s without a Scarf, so I have no fear of getting hit first.

Cera used Head Smash.
It's not very effective...
Machamp lost 50% of its health.
Artisan.'s Machamp fainted.
The sandstorm rages.
---

Blam. I strike first, as I thought. One left. Aggron triumphs again. You guys thought Garchomp was dangerous? Ha!

Artisan. switched in Tyranitar (lvl 100 Tyranitar ?).
Tyranitar's Sand Stream whipped up a sandstorm!
Pointed stones dug into Tyranitar.
Tyranitar lost 12% of its health.
Tyranitar used Dragon Dance.
Tyranitar's attack was raised.
Tyranitar's speed was raised.
Cera used Head Smash.
Cera's attack missed!
The sandstorm rages.
---

…..
And that, folks, is how quickly the tables can turn in a Pokemon match. Head Smash’s lousy accuracy lets me down. And this, as you’re about to find out, is why you should never let emotions judge the move you use. Let me prove my point:

96.8% - 114% - this is how much Head Smash would have done if it hit.
Had I considered my options, Earthquake was the best move to have choosen, as it would have killed everything left. Proof, you ask?
Jolteon: duh
Machamp: 50% - 59.1%. That’s EXACTLY what he had left! I’m assuming a RestTalker’s EVs here.
Tyranitar: 86% - 101.8%. With 2 Stealth Rock switches, that’s a KO.

Let this be a lesson to you all. I’m about to cry here cause of that…

Tyranitar used Earthquake.
It's super effective!
Cera lost 30% of its health.
Seth Vilo's Cera fainted.
The sandstorm rages.
---

No surprise. Freakin’ Rock-Ground coverage. Heatran’s got his burial in line. I have one last hope in Gyardaos. His Intimidate and (weak) Waterfall might be enough to dispatch this beast… Here goes nothing.

Seth Vilo switched in Gaston (lvl 100 Gyarados ?).
Gaston's intimidate cut Tyranitar's attack!
Pointed stones dug into Gaston.
Gaston lost 25% of its health.
Tyranitar used Crunch.
Gaston lost 47% of its health.
Gaston used Waterfall.
It's super effective!
Tyranitar lost 68% of its health.
The sandstorm rages.
Gaston is buffetted by the sandstorm!
Gaston lost 3% of its health.
Seth Vilo's Gaston fainted.
---

I came so close… It was at (100-68-12.5-12.5) 7% health. A brisk wind could have finished it off. With that speed boost under its belt, Heatran’s grave is already dug.

Seth Vilo switched in Maggie (lvl 100 Heatran ?).
Pointed stones dug into Maggie.
Maggie lost 12% of its health.
Seth Vilo: gg!
Artisan.: gg
Tyranitar used Earthquake.
It's super effective!
Maggie lost 88% of its health.
Seth Vilo's Maggie fainted.
Artisan. wins!

Seth Vilo: Really close.
Seth Vilo: lol
Artisan.: you should warstory it!
Seth Vilo: Maybe!
No surprise at this point. A truly fun battle with a truly skilled trainer, particularly in prediction I might add!

Artisan.’s team:

Props:
-The overall battle, which was great and a fun one!
-Aggron for being a general beast, and taking a zap pretty well.
-Tyranitar for coming out of nowhere at the end!!
-Machamp and Metagross for scaring me half to death.
-Both Gyarados for being rather different sets than standard. I love Bounce and RestTalk!

Slops:
-Head Smash’s accuracy…
-Heatran in general, as well as poor Celebi.
-My prediction in the beginning. Oh well…

Great game to darkartisan, and I hope to have many more in the future! Possibly without me being “gimmicky’ with a Head Smash Aggron! For those who made it this far, I hope it was a pleasant read for ya’! Apologizing now for spelling and grammar errors I seem to miss…

reyscarface

is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a defending SPL Championdefeated the Smogon Frontier
World Defender
It was pretty decent to be honest, the match lacked interesting turnabouts and guesses in my opinion, mainly because the battle was really loopsided to your favor. The end was disappointing, if theres something I hate in a warstory, is a battle being completely changed by luck factors, and not only that, but as you mentioned, you misplayed horribly that endgame, considering your Aggron could have won it for it 3-0, but for not checking calcs, you risked 3 consecutive hits with Head Smash. And not only that but man your Gyara must be very weak because not KOing a weakened Ttar... thats p. bad.

Good try, decent warstory.

Ah well. As I said, I'm getting better as I go. After this battle I had nothing to do, so I tried another warstory. It's far better than my first, I can tell you that! =) I suppose third time's the charm. Lol. I'll keep my eyes open for more interesting battles - ones with mega changes and such.

And just so you know, the Gyarados, as said is a Rest Talker, so all EV's and the nature were dedicated to defenses. That's why it was that weak.

it was an okay battle, not too many predictions but at the same time it wasnt incredibly straightfoward, but the formatting really got to me. turns were easy enough to follow but the overall battle wasnt as easy. the comments were okay as well.
overall good but not great.

6.5/10

Interesting teams, interesting battle. The Head Smash at the end could really have gone either way and it's pretty easy to see how things would have ended should it have hit, so minimal hax. Commentary, while not superb, was quite good. All in all, 9/10.

The warstory was pretty decent,I loved the nature of your comments.And it was an OK battle overall,Its a very good first attempt too.

7.1/10

Well, I'm not great at rating warstories, but I like to leave comments on how I thought the warstory was.

Wasn't bad layout so it was easy on the eyes.
Your own comments on how you felt were great and entertaining.
Most of all, the match sounded fun to do =)

It is refreshing to see a warstory with the writer as the defeated. Also, Aggron? Double props to you! However, could you please put the scores in after every KO,and maybe also some damage percentages after each turn? It would make the warstory easier to follow.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Really? I thought this was really solid. The battle was a bit on the short and simple side for a warstory, but the author demonstrated a keen awareness of the flow of the battle. More than anything else, I was impressed by the team itself. Most pointedly, at the author's thorough plan and build around his goal: Aggron Sweep.

I'm also a big fan of simple formatting, and it was great not seeing all those glaring colors. Also, I don't think it should be the author's responsibility to provide scoreboard and percentages. It's a major pain in the ass to do, and as fans if you want to see more warstories, you should accept formats that make it easier for people to write stories. If you're a true battler, keep track yourself.

To say it clearly, I think you should get a story in the archives yourself before you complain about those kinds of non-consequential format issues.

I was very impressed overall. Maybe not archivable, but I think the author demonstrates more than enough ability to write an archived warstory, should he come across a log with a bit more epic content.

i love the ending where he tells you why he's about to lose, if he just would have picked earthquake.. kind of put me in the shoes of the battler :) not alot of warstories do that. but i know exactly the feeling of losing like that!

I'd have to with all other peoples saying this was a great warstory. As Rotom said you'r comments are really nice and intersting to read.

I hope i'll see another one coming from you soon. :D

Loved it. The battle was fantastic, although the major hax at the end gave me the win. You are an excellent battler, but everyone can improve, be it Marriland, Taylor, etc.

Hope to play you again

i thought it was pretty decent for a warstory. The formatting was ok and tha battle was pretty good, although you had that match won.

Great job. Formatting was nice and simple, no stupid neon colors that make you go blind. Yeah, no percentages, but so what? They're a pain in the ass to put in, especially in a battle with a lot of secondary effects like Sandstorm.

Looking forward to seeing more stuff from you. ^^

Lol. Well this provided much needed motivation! I'll be looking for more battles to make a better warstory. I'm also waiting for my Dragon speech-to-text software to come in to make another warstory even faster and more fun for me to write! =)

Pretty decent warstory, but interpreting it was a pain. I think you should add icons in every turn so as to make people understand a bit better. Good day.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)