move 1: Ancient Power
move 2: Surf / Hydro Pump
move 3: Ice Beam
move 4: Hidden Power Fire / Hidden Power Grass
item: Choice Specs/Life Orb
ability: Shell Armor
nature: Modest
evs: 108 HP / 252 SpA / 148 Def

Ancient Power is ran for STAB rock against anything that can resist the rest and it has shown itself against many a palkia in D/P (plus it's nice to get the stat hack)
EDIT: Trick Room. Hurgh.

Um, well I guess it works. I still think Ancient Power is an awful move especially to get choice'd on and isn't it counter intuitive considering you're trying to be really slow? Not to mention you should be running a -speed nature to make the most use of trick room.

HPs are okay but really you don't see much of the water/grounds these days. I'd consider HP grass way below Fire and even then I think Ferro is still slower than a minimum speed Oma.

I still say Shell Armor is awful but um... I guess that's all you can really use on a TR Omastar.

Honestly I don't think Oma is a good TR pokemon. He just has way too many problems and is better off running shell break or swift swim sets.

Ok I am going to have to disagree with what QC said.

1)Lum Berry should be slashed with Life Orb. Reason being is that Chansey and Blissey get 2HKOed by 2 shell smashes in the rain so if you manage to get a Shell Smash on the switch next turn they'd either Protect or T-wave/Toxic and lum berry cures you as you get the 2nd Shell Smash guaranteeing you two finish them off unless they switch. It also helps against Jellicient as even with LO you aint gonna OHKO after Shell Smash and you 2HKO with or without regardless. Life Orb robs you off HP quickly limiting the amount of turns you have, allowing you to be stalled to death with the correct prediction which is fairly easy.

2)The EVs are ok however you should mention an alternative spread of 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe since with this you are able to outspeed Max Speed Excradrill in Sandstorm after 2 Shell Smashes and it is such a shame if your potential sweep ends due to him. Also regardless of the invested HP Evs you will be 2HKOED after SR damage regardless after a Shell Smash so investing in speed is more vital.

3)Hidden Power Grass holds alot more advantages than Fire. If you ladder alot you'd notice that most teams carrying a Shell Breaker carry something to rid the field of Skarm/Ferrothorn so it is not worth wasting a moveslot just for them (Heck Surf OHKOes skarm after a Shell Smash without Life Orb). So HP Grass is way more vital allowing you to beat Milotic, Vaporeon, Jellicent, Politoad etc.

I hope that a QC member as well as the author of this thread reads this and takes it into account. Cool analysis anyhow.

EDIT: @Dreamcity: I tried AncientPower before and its base Power is unappealing combined with the piss coverage it provides is not worth it. Shell Armor is a million times inferior to Swift Swim as Omastar can beat the genies in the Rain head on, something which is by no means not essential or helpful.

Woodchuck

actual cannibal
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
If HP Fire is the main slash then you should move the given EVs to accommodate it rather than indicate to do so in the set comments. You can add, though, "If HP Grass is used, then 4 Spe EVs may be moved to HP" or something to that effect.

I use Omastar as one of my best Special Sweepers on my trick room team
[SET]
name: Omastar Sweep

Ancient Power is ran for STAB rock against anything that can resist the rest and it has shown itself against many a palkia in D/P (plus it's nice to get the stat hack)
This is largely outclassed by Slowbro, who's much slower, has better secondary typing both offensively and defensively this metagame, the ability to set up Trick Room itself and even has shit like Fire Blast to fend off Ferrothorn.

Somalia, I've read your post and agree with a lot of your points, but I'm going to wait until another QC member sees this before I make significant changes. In the meantime, the analysis has been updated with small tweaks and suggestions.

jc104

Humblest person ever
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
[Overview]

<p>In a generation where Sandstorm has become so dominant, and where the combination of Drizzle and Swift Swim is illegal, Omastar struggles to maintain its momentum as a Swift Swim sweeper. This is compounded by the the increased threat of priority from high-Attack Pokémon, like Conkeldurr, who are constantly being used to deal with the more threatening Excadrill. However, not all is lost for Omastar, as the new generation kindly gave it a way for it to boost its stats outside of Rain and become a fearsome sweeper even in Sand: Shell Smash. This powerful move makes the cunning nautilus a lethal threat in just one turn, making it almost impossible to wall with such rapid boosting of speed and power. Of course, Omastar maintains its other niches that differentiate it from Swift Swimmers, such as access to all forms of entry hazards and an excellent Defense stat that lets it take even the most powerful of priority attacks. Although the metagame has shifted out of Omastar's favor, it remains in a good position to pick up the pieces and find a new direction as a deadly setup sweeper.</p>

[SET]
name: Shell Smash
move 1: Shell Smash
item: Life Orb
ability: Swift Swim
evs: 108 HP / 252 SpA / 148 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This is the standard sweeper set, and is the only one that is viable in a metagame so hostile to Omastar; a good offense is Omastar's best defense. Shell Smash is the move that makes Omastar worth using, granting it a +2 in Special Attack and Speed in exchange for a -1 to Defense and Special Defense. With the given EV spread and after a Shell Smash, Omastar has incredible firepower and enough speed to outspeed Scarf Tyranitar and by extension most OU threats, but still has enough physical bulk to take priority attacks in a pinch (at -1, it takes 65.3% - 76.9% from CB Scizor's Bullet Punch, and 61% - 72.7% from Conkeldurr's Mach Punch) The good thing about this set is that it's not dependent on weather to sweep; as long as it's not Sun and Omastar can get a boost, you're golden. However, Swift Swim is still the preferred ability, since Shell Armor isn't doing much for you and being able to abuse the Rain that an opponent's Politoed might bring is definitely worth it.</p>

<p>Surf is your standard STAB option, and with a Life Orb boost and a Shell Smash Omastar you can OHKO almost anything that doesn't resist it you. It also gains a possible 50% boost from Rain, making it near impossible to wall unless the opponent has a Pokémon with an immunity to Water. Hydro Pump is a high-powered alternative, managing to 2HKO Blissey at +2 even without Rain, but its lack of accuracy against other targets is discouraging. Ice Beam lets you hit Grass- and Dragon-types that resist your onslaught, OHKOing Dragonite through Multi Scale if you have a boost and crippling it if you don't. The last move is dependent on what you want Omastar to beat, and what your teammates can do against the remaining uncovered threats. Hidden Power Fire OHKOes physically defensive Ferrothorn, a threat which is both extremely common and would otherwise force Omastar to switch, whilst 2HKOing specially defensive variants. However, in rain Omastar if Omastar is used with rain support then it only manages to 2HKO physically defensive sets, and fails completely against specially defensive ones making it a risky choice to stay in. Here, Hidden Power Grass is more helpful, since it prevents you from being walled by the multitude of Water types in this metagame, hitting defensive threats like Jellicent and Vaporeon for decent damage and stopping them from setting up on you. You should also note that using Hidden Power Fire lowers your Speed IV, so switch 4EVs from HP to Speed to compensate. (since HP fire is the primary option should you not have 4 extra evs in speed, and suggesting moving them to HP when running HP Grass?)</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>When using this set in Rain, you get a 50% more powerful Surf and Omastar's Speed is doubled. However, if you don't want to run a rain dance support Pokémon like Thundurus or Tornadus to ensure this, you can run Rain Dance in either the 4th or 1st slot, depending on what you're after. Running it in the fourth slot makes Omastar more self-sustaining, and allows him to remove the opponent's weather if the timing is right. It also provides a more conservative method of boosting your Speed, should you not want to lower your Omastar's defenses against a specific target. Running Rain Dance in the first slot instead of Shell Smash gives Omastar more coverage, but makes it significantly weaker and walled much more easily, although you still get the rain boost to Surf.</p>

<p>Offensively, Hidden Power Electric can be used to OHKO Gyarados, but it's otherwise inferior to Hidden Power Grass since Gastrodon and Quagsire can now would set up on you. Hidden Power Rock can be used for secondary STAB, but it synergises poorly with your other attacking moves. If you don't fancy a Hidden Power in the last slot, you can use Stealth Rock, Spikes or Toxic Spikes, which lets you set up on the majority of Water types rather than killing them. This is reasonable if you have something like Ludicolo or Ferrothorn in the wings, although if the latter is true you should probably run Toxic Spikes to avoid redundancy. Hazards synergise with the speed boosts provided by Shell Smash and Rain fairly well, but aren't as viable in Sand due to you either having low speed or lowered defenses.</p>

<p>Omastar can also run some different items to a degree of success. Using a White Herb allows Omastar to maintain its impressive defensive stats after a Shell Smash, making it less weak to priority attacks. Likewise, using a Lum Berry allows Omastar to set up more comfortably against foes like Blissey, who would be eager to poison or paralyze him. Whilst Omastar loses a significant amount of power when using these items instead of Life Orb, it no longer suffers the recoil that Life Orb inflicts either, giving it more utility and allowing Omastar to sweep for longer when attacking particularly bulky Pokémon, such as Blissey and Chansey.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Earth Power can be used offensively, but it offers fairly redundant coverage, with Surf already hitting Fire and Rock types harder. Knock Off lets you annoy opponents, especially Chansey who covets her prized Eviolite, but it struggles to find a space on Omastar's already crowded moveset. Icy Wind is interesting as a niche move, but it's largely redundant since Shell Smash is more effective at boosting your speed and Ice Beam is more effective at killing things. Muddy Water can be used as an alternative STAB move, with a chance to lower accuracy but also having lower accuracy itself; it isn't recommended since one miss for Omastar likely means game over, and it doesn't get specific kills like Hydro Pump does. AncientPower is also present for STAB, should you want to pray for a boost above all else. Omastar also has a lot of physical attacking options, such as Waterfall, Rock Blast and Gyro Ball, but lacks the Attack to use them effectively on a mixed set. Haze is also present as a support option, but Omastar is a poor candidate for using it since it lacks recovery and has a lot of exploitable weaknesses.</p>

<p>You can elect to run a 4 Attack LO set if a team mate such as Thundurus sets up Rain Dance, giving you good speed, excellent physical defense, a powerful STAB move and excellent coverage without the drawbacks of Shell Break, although it lacks power in comparison. Slap Choice Specs on Omastar if you want, but it gains few notable KOs. You can also run a full support set with Rain Dance / Stealth Rock / Spikes / Surf, with more HP EVs and a Bold Nature, but this isn't really worth it due to Omastar having so many weaknesses, not to mention the prevalence of Taunt and Magic Coat in this metagame. You could try this in Sandstorm with all three hazards available and +1 SpD to boot, but again this isn't really worth it, and it's actually largely outclassed by Crustle thanks to Sturdy and better typing.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Blissey and Chansey will wall most offensive sets, but they must be wary of Shell Smash since they can't exploit Omastar's lowered defenses. Blissey is 2HKO'd by a +2 Hydro Pump, even out of Rain, so it needs to take down Omastar quickly or at least status it. Specially defensive Ferrothorn can take boosted hits, apart from Hidden Power Fire, and either OHKO with Power Whip or set up hazards or Leech Seed. Ice Beam will 3HKO physically defensive variants, but if it uses Leech Seed this becomes impossible. Jellicent and Vaporeon can also wall Omastar to hell and back, taking nothing from rain-boosted STAB and resisting Ice Beam. Even Hidden Power Grass will fail to 2HKO them without a boost, but Omastar will keep trying to boost so make sure you can kill it before it can kill your Pokemon. Toxicroak can switch in on Omastar's Surf and deal around 70% damage with a Life Orb Vacuum Wave, limiting Omastar's sweeping potential significantly. If Lucario gets in for free, it can threaten an OHKO with a Life Orb Vacuum Wave, but this is less viable due to Lucario's poor bulk. Scarfed Fighting types such as Mienshao also do a good job of taking out a boosted Omastar after it's boosted. Ludicolo makes a good offensive check in Rain, outspeeding it and obviously threatening a KO, whilst 4x resisting Surf and even surviving a +2 Ice Beam.</p>

[Dream World]

<p>Dream World Omastar is unreleased, and has the ability Weak Armor. Whilst this could be abused on a set with Endure and Hazards, it's largely inferior to Swift Swim, with the possibility of you or the opponent setting up rain. Lowering Omastar's Defense also makes it more vulnerable to physical attacks and priority, so ultimately it's not worth it.</p>
Just a couple of things :

-Don't use the second person too much, particularly when referring to Omastar, whom you should refer to as "he" or "it" consistently throughout the analysis.
-Stats are capitalised, but status moves, for instance, are not.

GP 2/2

Okay, implemented most of the above changes. But why should OHKO's be spelt OHKOes when its an abbreviation?

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Because as an acronym, it is actually considered as a verb- to "OHKO" means to faint an opposing Pokemon in one hit. As such, OHKOes is the correct version.

On top of that, the apostrophe is only really used to denote possession. "That is Edward's pen." An OHKO is not a person or character that things belong to, so the term "OHKO's" would denote that the OHKO is the subject and whatever object we're referring to belongs to the OHKO, which would obviously be incorrect.

jc104

Humblest person ever
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
OHKOs is the noun; OHKOes is the verb. The use of an apostrophe is at best unnecessary. Normally an apostrophe signifies possession or a missing letter, but in this case would do neither.

edit - damn am I slow

edit @ CavanChild99 - Omastar has pretty awful special defense, even in sandstorm, and has quite a few exploitable weaknesses, which it shares with Tyranitar, the main sandstorm provider. There are other choices for entry hazard users that are less likely to sit there being setup bait, and would hence be better choices. Regardless, it has been mentioned; it was just decided by the knowledgable QC team that it did not deserve its own set.

Okay, that's fine. I'll make the changes now.

Also, is it worth mentioning that Hidden Power Rock gives better STAB against Sun teams, but otherwise has little use?

I normally wouldn't post but I would like to point out that Omastar's DW ability is released (unless it some how lost the ability to evolve from Omynite which is available from the sea area 5000 Dream points)

I use Omastar as one of my best Special Sweepers on my trick room team
[SET]
name: Omastar Sweep

hidden power rock hits harder

Is there a reason Air Balloon isn't mentioned anywhere? It allows for tons of chances to set up, but is the power provided by Life Orb 100% neccesary?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)