Sticky Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just realized something:
Some one said that Salamance was post game only in R/S/E.
EDIT: Found the actual quote:
I guess there will be more Megas than those we see here. Metagross/Salamence are extremely likely candidates, both being pseudo-legendary, post-game only and extremely popular with the fans..
That isn't true. I caught a Bagon and evolved into a Salamence before challenging the Elite 4 the first time on EVERY playthrough, the level grinding just took FOREVER. But it was worth it, as Drake fell fast.

Considering that Mega Swamp won't be able to use leftovers anymore, I'm kind of hoping they give it Drain Punch though tutoring. Maybe that would be too powerful, but I feel like it needs some way to heal itself if it's meant to be a bulky attacker, or just bulky in general.

Just said this in the Diancie thread but I think there's a decent chance Mega Diancie's ability could be Serene Grace, since its Mega form looks very graceful and it's an ability not yet given to a Mega. 100% Def raising Diamond Storms and 60% SpA dropping Moonblasts would both be very cool.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
It seems Rotom-W just got BLOWN THE FUCK OUT by MegaSceptile.

But, hm, Serebii's wording is confusing to me. Are those new legendaries' "ancient devolutions" a new mechanic, a new evolutionary stage, or is that just a fancy name for their MegaEvos?

I'm unfortunately starting to see Rotom-W as little more than mediocre. Everyone's starting to see the benefits of Thunder Wave immunity and being a massive Rotom-W cockblock, but... what else is there?
It's a badly mediocre offensive typing, unless it SOMEHOW gets Outrage/Draco Meteor it has no good Dragon STAB, it has no reliable way to boost it's special attack which theoretically would be a maximum of base 155, it's special movepool is lacking...
Swampert getting Swift Swim I don't really care about because imo it only really needs stat boosts. Ability doesn't matter that much; it'll still be good. Sceptile needed a hell of a lot more than a stat boost, and Lightningrod is just not going to help it at all. Dragon is far more of a detriment to it than a boon.
Well we're in luck, Sceptile does get Outrage through a 5th gen move tutor. Outside of Draco Meteor, it has every Dragon-move it needs in Dragon Claw, Outrage, and Dragon Pulse. Sceptile already has huge speed and with an attack buff from a mega-evolution, it certainly will be a threat. Other moves that Sceptile has to take note of are Swords Dance, Earthquake, Low Kick, Leaf Blade, Rock Slide, and Leaf Storm. A set of Outrage, Earthquake / Low Kick, and Leaf Blade could certainly do some work against offensive teams behind an SD. Sceptile also could pull off a really annoying SubSeed set with Sub, Leech Seed, Dragon Pulse, and Focus Blast. You are definitely down playing it.

Mega-Swampert is a hell of a rain sweeper in VGC / doubles. Immune to Thunder Wave, STAB Earthquake (spread move), and Wide Guard support? Yes, please. A simple Rain Dance sweeper will also be viable in singles.

Until we get their stat spreads its going to be a tough call on what exactly will be the best thing they can do.

kurona, I definitely see your point about dragon typing being detrimental to sceptile. However, I feel that talking about its special attack stat is pointless at such an early stage. Who knows, it could have a massive increase in attack, and he could be able to learn outrage. I feel like he could become a decent mixed attacker.

I'm unfortunately starting to see Mega Sceptile as little more than mediocre. Everyone's starting to see the benefits of Thunder Wave immunity and being a massive Rotom-W cockblock, but... what else is there?
It's a badly mediocre offensive typing, unless it SOMEHOW gets Outrage/Draco Meteor it has no good Dragon STAB, it has no reliable way to boost it's special attack which theoretically would be a maximum of base 155, it's special movepool is lacking...
Swampert getting Swift Swim I don't really care about because imo it only really needs stat boosts. Ability doesn't matter that much; it'll still be good. Sceptile needed a hell of a lot more than a stat boost, and Lightningrod is just not going to help it at all. Dragon is far more of a detriment to it than a boon.
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Sceptile_(Pokémon)/Generation_V_learnset#By_tutoring

It does get Outrage. Yes, the Dragon-typing hurts more than helps defensively besides adding a couple double resistances and removing its Fire-type weakness. However, it does give it a solid somewhat neutral coverage STAB attack. And what's so wrong with Dragon Pulse? Mega Sceptile (and Sceptile in general) is (likely) a cleaner, not really a sweeper. Mega Sceptile is likely going to be fantastic at it too because its cleaning job can't really be stopped by paralysis and it gets good neutral coverage with its offensive options.

Edit: such ninja. many slow. so outpace. wow

Speculating on the stats of the Mega Hoenn starters here. Based off of the Mega Kanto Starters (None of the offensive stats were below 100, stats most improved tended to be what they were already good at doing, Speed didn't change for the less speed inclined 'Mons) and Blaziken (From 80/120/70/110/70/80 to 80/160/80/130/80/100):

Mega Sceptile - From 70/85/65/105/85/120 to 70/105/75/125/95/160 or 70/125/75/105/85/160
Mega Swampert - From 100/110/90/85/90/60 to 100/150/110/105/110/60

Assuming my guesses on the Mega Starters are fairly close, Mega Sceptile could potentially be dangerous. After eating an Electric attack with Lightningrod, Mega Sceptile could pack some respectable special offensive capabilities and still hit 419 Speed with a neutral nature, able to outspeed everything up to fully invested Base 140s and +1 Base 90's. Basically Super Saiyan Usain Bolt.
Mega Swampert could hit rather hard, and with investment in speed it could hit 480 in the rain while not being made of paper mache, assuming the Speed stat doesn't change.

Though then again, Game Freak could completely come out of left-field with the actual stats. Still, fun to speculate.

Last edited:
It is true that I have not played XY
Well, that explains it. You're obviously completely ignorant on the subject.

What about Pokemon like Charizard, which was completely useless before Mega Evolution and couldn't evolve again through traditional means? Its two Mega Evo's are neither useless nor broken. They've made a once terrible Pokemon into a real powerhouse.

So yeah, you should probably just stop posting.

I like Mega Sceptile and Swampert. Grass/Dragon, yes!! Too bad it's not really all that great of a typing. Lightningrod is an interesting ability, I like how that fits with it's design (giant tree with apparently an actual lightning rod at the tip). He looks badass, and the overall concept is pretty cool. Swampert the juice-head is kinda hilarious and kinda badass. Swift Swim and enough has been said about that. I would have preferred something that might give it wider utility instead of as a rain sweeper, or maybe a different role like Hydration would have been cool. Nice nonetheless.

The Hoenn starters have great designs, and I'm pleased with all 3 of their megas.

Diancie getting a mega is random (it hasn't even been officially released yet!). It looks like a Pokemon x Sailor Moon crossover. The problem with Diancie is not its stats but movepool, so I'm not sure if Mega-Diancie will be that much of an improvement unless it gets an amazing ability (which it probably will considering the secrecy around it, probably a new one too).

"Prehistoric Devolution" sounds really interesting... Original, ancient version of Groudon/Kyorge? They look mad as hell. Archie's new design really sucks, but I'm liking that they are giving more characters tans and different skin tons sortof (Brendan is darker than May now).

I wonder how many more Megas we will get and when Mega Lati will be revealed?

chimp

Go Bananas
is an official Team Rateris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Tuesday can't come fast enough.

Also, since Diancie gets a mega that isn't in the code for X/Y, do you think it stands to reason that Diancie will be present in ORAS somewhere? Of course I'm sure GF could just update X/Y to add these things, but then again that wouldn't actually explain why they went and put the Lati@s in anyway.

Damn im confuse. GF is so hard to understand.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I don't know if this has been posted before, but I've been playing White 2 recently and there's evidence in the game that heavily implies Mirage Tower (the tower appearing randomly in Gen 3 won't be returning. There's lots of speak about how the desert ruins will soon be buried entirely under the sandstorm, and there's even a backpacker there who says "I come from Hoenn. There used to be this tower in the desert there, but now it got buried by sand!"
Don't forget the Tower was "never there" already. It might as well be that the Mirage Tower we see in Emerald is the one already covered in sand (and obviously Hoopa's).

Besides,

My bullshit-o-meter says that minuscule, pixelated thing is the MegaEvo symbol, guys.

Valmanway

My jimmies remain unrustled
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Also, since Diancie gets a mega that isn't in the code for X/Y, do you think it stands to reason that Diancie will be present in ORAS somewhere? Of course I'm sure GF could just update X/Y to add these things, but then again that wouldn't actually explain why they went and put the Lati@s in anyway.

I wouldn't be surprised if they went the extra mile to troll hackers.

Agonist

how can I feel existential dread, it's my fear
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Could be as simple as they had Mega Lati@s already programmed, and at the time of XY's release, they hadn't gotten the rest of the Mega's done yet.

Plus, it wouldn't be the first time they put something in the game, then never used it.

Besides,

My bullshit-o-meter says that minuscule, pixelated thing is the MegaEvo symbol, guys.
I noticed that too. I'm guessing that the whole prehistoric thing may just mean it's not a Mega Stone that evolves them. It would be entirely logical for them to utilize the Blue, Red, and Green Orbs (or some weird refined version of them) for this. But this is entirely speculation and it doesn't matter anyways for game play (only plot, really) because it's just terminology and the fact is that these are just Mega Evolutions, as indicated by the icon in the photo.

Let's go through this:
Mega Sceptile: I like the design, looks sleek and strong. May be my starter. Him or Blaze
Mega Swampert: Looks like he took way too many roids. Not a fan of the design.
Mega Diancie: The first gen 6 Mega and first Event Pokemon to get a Mega. That's cool. Feels more Queen like which is cool in relation to the backstory.
Groudon/Kyogre: Groudon looks fucking boss. Not fussed with Kyogre. really hoping their new forms/Megas have good use. Really like them
Bikes: Fucking yes! Loved the two bikes.
Team Magma: Maxie looks like Team Flare. Tabitha, poor bastard. Courtney is cute. Grunts look great
Team Aqua: Archie sucks, Admins are OK. Grunts are decent
Steven: Knew he was gonna be involved with the Megas. I'm sure that Charizard is a stock photo used.
Protags: Brendan looks OK. Not a fan of the sideburns. May just looks, off. Something about her design is wrong and I'm struggling to place it

I'm unfortunately starting to see Mega Sceptile as little more than mediocre. Everyone's starting to see the benefits of Thunder Wave immunity and being a massive Rotom-W cockblock, but... what else is there?
Dragon Pulse is a good special move. Like you said, Dragon just isn't that good physically anymore.

Let's go through this:
Mega Sceptile: I like the design, looks sleek and strong. May be my starter. Him or Blaze
Mega Swampert: Looks like he took way too many roids. Not a fan of the design.
Mega Diancie: The first gen 6 Mega and first Event Pokemon to get a Mega. That's cool. Feels more Queen like which is cool in relation to the backstory.
Groudon/Kyogre: Groudon looks fucking boss. Not fussed with Kyogre. really hoping their new forms/Megas have good use. Really like them
Bikes: Fucking yes! Loved the two bikes.
Team Magma: Maxie looks like Team Flare. Tabitha, poor bastard. Courtney is cute. Grunts look great
Team Aqua: Archie sucks, Admins are OK. Grunts are decent
Steven: Knew he was gonna be involved with the Megas. I'm sure that Charizard is a stock photo used.
Protags: Brendan looks OK. Not a fan of the sideburns. May just looks, off. Something about her design is wrong and I'm struggling to place it
May originally wore a bandana rather than a bow. Looking at her older artwork, what was behind those hair bangs couldn't really be seen until now. I like it. Brendan's hat is finally shown as a hat rather than white hair as many a children once thought.

Love or hate Mega Swampert, he's going to be a godly tank. He's been consistently one of the best starters throughout the generations, even after his fall to UU. Now he gets a 100 BST increase AND Swift Swim? Good god.

Something to consider:

Didn't gamefreak say that they themselves felt Mega-Kang was over powered? Could we see some more stuff along the lines of BST changes, etc.?

You know, while Swampert's biggest issue it has in the form of lack of recovery is still a hindrance, I do have to say that Clefable, Sylveon, and Togekiss make great team mates as they can easily pass Wishes along to Swampert with good type synergy. I especially am fond of Sylveon, who can also cure status and has incredible Special Defense to compliment Swampert's presumably physical bias.

I'm really hopeful about Swampert becoming viable again. I may actually do some re-planning for my ORAS team because of this release. (QQ I DON'T WANT TO REMOVE CRAWDAUNT FROM MY TEAM DOE BUT TYPE REPETITION AAA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)