OMG! A new play style? TrickDance! (UU)

yeah, I was lurking around and then: POOF!

Trick Room + Rain Dance = TrickDance

Teambuilding!

First off I needed a lead. One that could both Trick Room and Rain Dance (Most notably Porygon2, Slows and the UU pixies)

My desicion fell on Mesprit. Chosen over Uxie because of lower speed, chosen over the others because of Stealth Rock

Next up was the defensive core: The physical:

Nidoqueen!! Ability to rain Dance, bulk and a supermassive movepool made her a superior choice as a wall

Needs special bulk too:

Registeel was chosen last for my team, it was chosen for great typing in rain, can summon rain and wonderful defences.

OK, now I need another Trick roomer, and this guy is great!

Porygon2 is absolutely an awsum Pokémon, has good typing with the others in the team and nice bulk.

But this is no defensive team, no not at all there is some offence too!

Who doesn't think Octillery is an epic and underrated pokémon? with 105 offence and 45 speed in Trick Room it is a force to be aware of, especially with its wide movepool.

More offence you say? awright!

Wasn't this a big surprise? Of course I thought about Slowking When it's rain AND Trick Room. Who wouldn't. It's a great pokémon with 100 Special attack and a lovely offensive movepool.

In-Depht!!

The lead:

Mesprit @

Brave Nature (+SpA -Spd)
Levitate
Not sure about the EV's can you help maybe?
~Rain Dance
~Trick Room
~Stealth Rock
~U-Turn

Moves:
Rain Dance: That's here to set up the rain and support the rest of the team.
Trick Room: The same as Rain Dance.
Stealth Rock: To ensure my 2HKOs ends up as OHKOs instead.
U-Turn: The perfect escape! Switching to Slowking or Octillery to start sweeps.

Chosen why?
Well, I found this was the best Poké for this role. (Maybe outclassed by Claydol) But I didn't want it to be a suicide lead since I have no Spin Blocker.

Weakness:
Ghost: Registeel, Porygon2
Dark: U-Turn, Registeel, Nidoqueen

The Perfectness:

Slowking @

Quiet nature (+SpA -Spd)
Own Tempo
252HP/252SpA/4SpD
~Surf
~Psychic
~Grass Knot
~Ice Beam

Moves:
Surf: STAB, Rain, Specs, 448 Special attack, 95 Base Power. That's one really powerfull attack.
Psychic: Secondary STAB, hits Poisons and Fights hard.
Grass Knot: Only option to hit Bulky waters, which can be a pain for the team.
Ice Beam: No dragons, no fliers. And no grassies of course.

Chosen why?
It's my favorite pokémon, and not bad either. With Water typing, Rain and Trick Room it's a sure choice.

Weakness:

Ghost: Registeel, Porygon2
Dark: Registeel, Nidoqueen
Grass: Registeel
Electric: Nidoqueen, Registeel for Rotom

The Mix:

Octillery @

Quiet Nature (+ SpA - Spd)
Sniper
160HP/96Atk/252SpA
~Water Spout
~Waterfall
~Ice Beam
~Seed Bomb

Moves:
Water Spout: A massive attack powered by rain. Expert belt is used over Life Orb to make this attack as powerful as possible.
Waterfall: Physical STAB to hit Chansey.
Ice Beam: Great Coverage with Water, Helpful in many situations.
Seed Bomb: Another physical attack, Gives almost perfect Coverage.

Chosen why?
It's a really powerful pokémon and the only thing holding him down is the poor speed, but that's no longer a Problem!

Weakness:
Grass: Registeel
Electric: Nidoqueen, Registeel for Rotom

The physical wall:

Nidoqueen @

Relaxed Nature (+ Def -Spd)
Poison Point
252HP/160Def/76SpA/22Atk
~Rain Dance
~Earth Power
~Superpower
~Thunder

Moves:
Rain Dance: Check Mesprit!
Earth Power: Reliable STAB that will take out most threats that are hit for Super Effective damage
Superpower: to get rid of Normals and Darks.
Thunder: Dead Milotic! Nuff said!

Chosen why?
I'm really not sure, I saw she could learn Rain Dance and Thunder, and now she's my wall.

Weakness:
Water: Thunder, Slowking, Octillery
Psychic: Registeel, Slowking, Mesprit
Ground: Slowking, Octillery

The Special wall... thingy:

Registeel @

Sassy Nature (+SpD -Spd)
Clear Body
252HP/216SpD/40Atk
~Rain Dance
~Explosion
~Earthquake/Iron Head
~Shadow Claw

Moves:
Rain Dance: Already explained.
Explosion: Who doesn't love to blow up in an unsuspecting foe's face?
Earthquake: Mostly raw power, help with these two.
Iron Head: STAB and nice typing. Flinch rate is a plus. :naughty:
Shadow Claw: At least I'm not afraid of ghosts with this move!

Chosen why?
I had 5 Pokémon, I thought about many pokés for the last spot. Ludicolo, Rotom... but I got huge weaknesses then, so I found Registeel! Since fire is weakened in rain it's good help.

Weakness:
Fire: Not much problem as long rain is up, Slowking or Octillery
Fighting: Nidoqueen or Slowking
Ground: Octillery or Slowking

The other trick roomer:

Porygon2 @

Quiet Nature (+SpA -Spd)
Trace
252HP/136Def/120SpA
~Trick Room
~Recover
~Thunder
~Ice Beam

Moves:
Trick Room: Already Explained
Recover: To keep it healthy and fresh. Can't have dead ducks y'know
Thunder: Powerful 120 BP Attack that never misses. Isn't that cute?
Ice Beam: Creating the BoltBeam combination only resisted by Shedinja and Magneton (In UU)

Chosen why?
I needed another Trick roomer and this was one of my first choices, and it isn't Ghost or Psychic so it has got great resistances along with the rest of the team.

Weakness:
Fighting: Nidoqueen or Slowking

Well that is the team, if you have changes that should be considered just shout!

I have only one question: Where's Clamperl? I mean, this team provides the perfect circumstances for a Clamperl sweep. Its movepool and bulk are far inferior to Slowkings, but Clamperls raw power and ability to change moves should make up for that.
Also, you could swap out Octillery's Expert Belt for a Scope Lens. I'm not sure if the damage output is higher in the long run, but a higher chance of an attack doing triple damage is hard to resist, isn't it?

lol, where's the awesome-in-rain wailord? its pretty slow and can wreck shit with water spout in rain even if they resist it. Also like the previous guy mentioned, clamperl is absolutely necessary; it belongs to this team.

You may want to drop ice beam for trick room for slowking, and get rid of choice specs for either life orb, expert belt or leftovers. Specs slowking isn't all that powerful, and if you're locked into some move like grass knot against lighter foes its just wasting your trick room and rain time.

This team focus on sweeping in rain and trick room, because you'll be trying to abuse your trick room period as long as possible, and with rain hit as hard as possible. Thus, i feel pokemon such as nidoqueen and registeel (maybe even porygon2) are unnecessary. I suggest that you get a claydol to setup rain, trick room, and then explode to bring out a sweeper (clamperl/wailord/octillery). This is much more effective than other pokemon setting up, because after exploding you'll have 3 turns of trick room and 6 turns of rain left, which is enough to kill at least 2 pokemon if you predict properly.

Also, change mespirit to uxie instead, because having more speed actually helps you in trick room. If youhave more speed, you'll go after the opponent in trick room, and this allows you to u-turn after you have absorbed the hit, allowing you to bring in your sweeper safely.

Here's my version of your team:
Uxie lead (rocks, rain, trick room, u-turn)
claydol (rain, trick room, explode)
Slowking (trick room + sweeper)
Octillery (sweeper)
Clamperl (sweeper)
Wailord (sweeper)

I love how well registeel fits into the team. Rain eliminates the fire weakness, leaving ground and fighting. Most ground and fighting moves used are physical. I recommend putting more investment in Physical Defense. I think that T-Wave could also be an option over Explosion. Your team really relies on trick room to be up and t-wave helps ease that reliance, and with Iron head, it is scary.

Thanks for all the response
c.falcon -arg: That leaves 5 pokémon weak to grass so maybe excactly that team.
And everyone of Clamperls stats are lower than Slowkings except speed and defence is only 5 higher, so how can Clamperl be better than Slowking? But I will try TR on Slowking.

I like the synergy with the uu environment; it counters the abundance of rain dance teams with a simple trick room, outspeeding rain dancers who rely on that wicked speed boost from the rain. I also play TR because nobody expects it and it can WRECK unprepared teams. I think it's a very interesting twist, how much have you playtested it?

Clamperl, once given a DeepSeaScale I believe, has incredibly powerful attack, he can pretty much destroy all of the UU metagame!! Despite my Octillery-Love, I think he would be the easiest to replace.

The point about Clamperl is that it gets Deepseatooth, which is all-around better than Choice Specs. Its defences are pretty bad, though, which may be enough reason not to use it.

And everyone of Clamperls stats are lower than Slowkings except speed and defence is only 5 higher, so how can Clamperl be better than Slowking? But I will try TR on Slowking.
With DeapSeaTooth and max. SpAtk, Clamperl reaches a whopping 540 SpAtk, iirc, which is the highest in the game. Also, as mentioned before, being able to change moves is very good, since you don't want to waste any turns of TR and Rain. It's a shame its movepool is so horrible, although you could go for a lot of entry hazards and give Clamperl Brine or something.

I love how well registeel fits into the team. Rain eliminates the fire weakness, leaving ground and fighting. Most ground and fighting moves used are physical. I recommend putting more investment in Physical Defense. I think that T-Wave could also be an option over Explosion. Your team really relies on trick room to be up and t-wave helps ease that reliance, and with Iron head, it is scary.
I'm not sure if T-Wave is such a good idea, since your opponent will most likely outspeed you in TR when they're paralyzed.

Water pokemon won't be threatening you when there's both trick room and rain dance. Even min hp/min sp.def venasaur gets OHKO'ed by ice beam from clamperl, and takes 77.74% - 91.69% from wailord's water spout in the rain (counting choice specs), so they too will die quickly before they can do too much damage. After all, there's barely any team which has more than 1 grass type pokemon (with the exception of sunny day teams), so they won't be stopping your team.

Clamperl has 542 attack after holding deepseatooth, which is extremely high. Along with rain dance, surf is going to OHKO almost everything that doesnt resist or is immune to it.

~red12345 said:
Registeel without fire weakness is all good, but earth and fighting moves are still common, so its not as if its really a worthy option to be in a rain team.

Thunder wave with trick room is stabbing your own ass. Also even with your opponent being paralysed you will still use trick room last, as it has -7 priority, so it doesn't help in setting up trick room.

With DeapSeaTooth and max. SpAtk, Clamperl reaches a whopping 540 SpAtk, iirc, which is the highest in the game.
Latios with Soul Dew has the highest non-choiced SpA in the game (591), but Clamperl has the highest outside of Ubers (indeed, the second highest after Latios; even Soul Dew Latias only reaches 525, and Deoxys-A only 504).

Iron Head over Shadow Claw on Registeel. Mismagius won't like a STAB Iron Head.

Hi

I would much recommend Clamperl over Slowking,clamperls raw power and pathetic speed stat would go great this team.This is the Clamperl set i would use:

@Deap sea tooth

Quiet nature
Evs 252 hp 252 spatk 4 def

-Surf
-Hidden power grass
-Ice beam
-Brine/Confuse Ray/Toxic

This clamperl has the same type coverage as your slowking(except no Psychic)but not having Psychic like slowking is too bad,you still have excellent type coverage,and much more raw power than slowking,and not only that clamperl doesnt get locked into one attack like slowking.
The last slot is kind of your choice,brine could be an incredibly dangerous move against damaged moves with rain in effect,while confuse ray could scare away certain threats,and toxic could help against anything you usually have to work around to defeat.

Hope i helped and gl with the team.

Edit: If you want to keep slowking on this team then i would,just like every1 else recommend life orb over choice specs so that you dont get locked into one move,then the opponent switches into a resist to that type and then you have to switch out and trick room and rain dance are wearing off.

Don't use Clamperl - it is only good when Trick Room is up, and the other times it is dead weight. Seriously, you only have 2 Trick Roomers and that will definitely not guarantee Trick Room being up all the time. A common misconception about Trick Room is that you have to use Pokemon that solely abuse Trick Room, which is often not the case. Your Slowking is doing a fine job it looks like, however I would recommend Life Orb over Choice Specs as if you're locked into Surf on something switching in like Poliwrath, you have to waste another turn of Trick Room by switching out. If I have more time I'll give a more useful rate.

Hope that helped a little.

EDIT: lol I just noticed the user hasn't posted in like 10 days

locopoke

Banned deucer.
Because of the fact that you end up wasting either a turn of Trick Room or a turn of Rain Dance while setting up the other field effect, I wouldn't recommend using this strategy. Too much going on and not enough time to pull it off. I'd only suggest using something similar to this strategy if you had infinite weather, which obviously isn't possible with rain in UU.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)