Online Competitive Pokemon History

Vineon

Fleurdelysé
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
We are always quick to bring up the fact that we've been here since the very beginning of it (online pokemon). That our roots as a community can be traced back to the very beginning of Pokemon online. That our oldest users were there 7 years ago.

But all we can do is mention it because we've never compiled our history. I am not sure why, probably because realistically it couldnt be written by one person alone. We havent all lived every era, havent all played in every important tournaments and we dont all come from the same pokemon starting place.

When is the time we'll finally get to link a new user looking from the outside at something that would document him of our history. Something that would back the statement that we've been here forever, that we are the original battling community.

What about we give a project like that a kick start, this really is something I really always wish we had and something I personally would love to write about.

How possible would it be to maybe have it under some sort of wikipedia format, so that from the main history page, every important user mentionned can be linked to their own page/profile documenting on who they are/were and what they do/have done. Every program used, every site/forums, every tournament that were important could also have their own documented page.

This format would also allow anyone to alter it, which would make this project possible seeing we all had different paths leading to this community and writing our history wouldnt be the work of one person anymore.

We have a rich and long history as a community. I think we need something like this to link to, just so our "we've been here for 7 years" claims seem even more credible.

Yea, this is actually something I am working on in conjunction with the Hall of Fame project. I want to get a rough sketch down and then open it up to some of the more senior members of the community to fill in any gaps I might have. I started on it last month, but then went on a three week vacation so it came to a standstill (again).

If you wanna throw ideas at me for the format or whatever, just PM me on IRC, but since I work weekends/Monday I probably won't be available to chat until Tuesday.

GreenPikachu

pumpkin pieco
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
yeah this was always something i would think about. it would definitely be really cool if we could throw it together. if i can help at all, let me know. i think the best way to go about this would be to get a group of 3-4 people who were around for the full extent of a certain generation, and have them list out the big tournaments and the major metagame changes and any big names that should be mentioned. once you get all the names and the points you want to make (i.e. an outline) then it will be easy to mesh everything together.

GreenPikachu

pumpkin pieco
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
also, this is more directed at fish: do you still have sneakville archived? because that would provide a lot of good stuff. i don't think the boards work anymore though. i remember tons of war stories/logs on the sneakville boards, but we probably lost them. but CLST, SMPT, Sneak3, those were some big tournaments. the FBMTs (i think?) of Atma's were big. kevin626's gsc field of 64 tournament. i don't know of many great adv tournies, i took a huge break right when 200 got going.

just thought i'd get the ball rolling with big tournaments at least..

Aeolus

Bag
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
this would be really great... If you guys need help on stuff that has happened over the past 2.5ish years let me know!

Articuno64

1 to 63 were taken
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
i think a good format would be to have a sequence of roughly defined "eras" and give them names (ie. 1999-2000, The Inception). each era could have sort of a summary paragraph of the key things that happened with regards to tournaments, significant metagame shifts, community culture/politics/drama, and then below there could be a variety of links with more detail into these important events.

this could all be supplemented by a set of historical community member profiles, or the hall of fame that fish is working on. i also think anything written should be signed by the person who wrote it so that any bias is documented, and then we can get multiple accounts from different users on the same events. and i guess we could use either this forum or the SCMS to build this up.

what does everyone think?

although my opinion doesn't count as much as others in this situation, i'm all for this and i personally love the idea.

Yeah, definitely sounds good. Stating the obvious but we're better off going from now and working our way back. Hmmm where the hell is GK..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)