Sticky Orange Islands SQSA Thread

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Out of curiosity, am I the only one who's really struggling to get into non-7 star raids in last month or so? Almost always the game fails to connect, I think I manage to get into 1 out of 10 when i'm lucky and often have to go through 3-4 refreshes before one lets me in.
(Doesn't help that most of the people I find are bringing level 60-70 mons to 6 stars...)
Not sure if it helps, but I haven't had any problems connecting (finding players that know what they're doing on the other hand). If you haven't caught the Decidueye yet, there's a few videos on how you can solo it (though may take a few tries). Manage to solo it with a Ceruledge.

Not sure if it helps, but I haven't had any problems connecting (finding players that know what they're doing on the other hand). If you haven't caught the Decidueye yet, there's a few videos on how you can solo it (though may take a few tries). Manage to solo it with a Ceruledge.
Oh i facerolled Decidueye with Arceus ages ago, I just kept doing more for the rewards since with G-Slowbro it was possible to somewhat reliably carry anyone with more than 3 braincells.
(If you never noticed, we actually have dedicated threads in the SV section for every 7* raid where we cook up sets, often way before youtubers popularize them)

It's the actual non-event raids I'm struggling to get into. Both during the event and after it, I hardly manage to get in one every 10 as stated above, most of the time I just get the error message after clicking on it and waiting a bit. Was not happening at all with the 7° raids.

I know there is some hidden stuff where the game actually searches for a raid that matches the pokemon+tera type rather than a specific raid, so since there's always a million of the 7* raid and the type is constant, it's easy to join, but if I click a "Tera Grass Azumarill" and it fails to connect to the one that was up (due to it being full or cancelled), unless there's another Tera Grass Azumarill raid, it will eventually fail to connect completely.

Oh i facerolled Decidueye with Arceus ages ago, I just kept doing more for the rewards since with G-Slowbro it was possible to somewhat reliably carry anyone with more than 3 braincells.
(If you never noticed, we actually have dedicated threads in the SV section for every 7* raid where we cook up sets, often way before youtubers popularize them)

It's the actual non-event raids I'm struggling to get into. Both during the event and after it, I hardly manage to get in one every 10 as stated above, most of the time I just get the error message after clicking on it and waiting a bit. Was not happening at all with the 7° raids.

I know there is some hidden stuff where the game actually searches for a raid that matches the pokemon+tera type rather than a specific raid, so since there's always a million of the 7* raid and the type is constant, it's easy to join, but if I click a "Tera Grass Azumarill" and it fails to connect to the one that was up (due to it being full or cancelled), unless there's another Tera Grass Azumarill raid, it will eventually fail to connect completely.
Yeah I am sorta not surprised about this. It seems like GF's online features have always been half-baked. This setup is definitely better than SwSh raids where you click on an individual raid, but then again it might not be better if the population is low.

Seems like many games design their online features for when the population is large but don't fond a way to make it work when population drops. Take FPS games that have 15 playlists even though there have been three sequels and only 1500 people play at a given time.

I will say it's a tough design to get right though. Matchups are especially interesting to choose with potentially three different stab types to account for, so you can't just do a basic matchmaking feature either.

How does the ability reset in Pokemon Home interact with Patches/Capsules?

Let's say I have a Pokemon I caught in HG/SS. I transferred it up to SWSH and used an Ability Patch to give it the Hidden Ability. If I send this Pokemon to Scarlet now, what will it have?

How does the ability reset in Pokemon Home interact with Patches/Capsules?

Let's say I have a Pokemon I caught in HG/SS. I transferred it up to SWSH and used an Ability Patch to give it the Hidden Ability. If I send this Pokemon to Scarlet now, what will it have?
It will have the Hidden Ability.

There used to be a problem where a Patch wouldn't be read properly depending on the order/game you did it in; Capsules didn't have this problem iirc. But it's irrelevant now after Home's Teal Mask update it doesn't matter what game you use a Patch in, it will be retained properly across all relevant games.

Quick question about Mirror Herb and egg moves: I know that the Mirror herb can directly transfer a move from one pokemon to another during a picnic, and that those moves taught via mirror herb cannot be re-learned like regular egg moves. If I transfer a move to a pokemon via mirror herb, and that pokemon creates an egg with the other pokemon, will the child egg hatch with the mirror herb move also?

Quick question about Mirror Herb and egg moves: I know that the Mirror herb can directly transfer a move from one pokemon to another during a picnic, and that those moves taught via mirror herb cannot be re-learned like regular egg moves. If I transfer a move to a pokemon via mirror herb, and that pokemon creates an egg with the other pokemon, will the child egg hatch with the mirror herb move also?
Yes. It will have the move, however since it's a proper egg move rather than a Mirror Herb one, it will be able to directly remember it without needing to use the Mirror Herb.

BDSP question.

When you defeat Gym Leaders or Elite Four in this game, a portrait of them posing with their ace Pokémon gets added to a gallery on the second floor of the Jubilife TV building, where you can go to see which Sticker combinations they each use on their Poké Balls.

I was looking up something on Bulbapedia earlier, and noticed that the Stat Trainers (Cheryl, Riley, etc.) and Palmer all have the same kind of large splash artwork that the aforementioned gallery uses for the Gym Leaders and E4.

Is there actually another gallery in the game for these six Trainers? Or are these images just unused leftovers from the code? I looked around a few areas that I thought seemed likely candidates for that sort of display of those particular Trainers — every floor of Jubilife TV, the GWS, the Battle Park’s exchange building, and the Battle Tower lobby itself, but no dice.

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
Why exactly does Crystal turn the female player into the male one when linking to another game? Unlike in later generations, you don't actually interact with the other trainer when you link up: if you try and talk to the other trainer in the trade room/battle room, you just get a generic "your friend is ready" message in Gen II, or simply "!" in Gen I.

And earlier games in a generation are perfectly able to link to later ones without issue. From the point of view of DP Platinum players look like DP players.

So why the gender-swap? Is it purely done for the benefit of the Crystal player or is there an actual internal reason Kris has to be changed over?

Why exactly does Crystal turn the female player into the male one when linking to another game? Unlike in later generations, you don't actually interact with the other trainer when you link up: if you try and talk to the other trainer in the trade room/battle room, you just get a generic "your friend is ready" message in Gen II, or simply "!" in Gen I.

And earlier games in a generation are perfectly able to link to later ones without issue. From the point of view of DP Platinum players look like DP players.

So why the gender-swap? Is it purely done for the benefit of the Crystal player or is there an actual internal reason Kris has to be changed over?
My assumption is the way Kris might have been coded could have caused issues if connected directly. While trying to double check the instances of it, I found out that Crystal connecting to Crystal also does this.

I learned earlier this week that Crystal didn't fix a few battle-system glitches, like Dragon Fang & Dragon Scale not having the proper in-battle effects, because it would cause a desynch with GS so I wonder if the trade system as a whole was carried over from GS unaltered or something to that effect. So it wasn't set to read Kris properly and well, if they have to spoof it anyway it's probably easier to just have you change clothes before heading in.

My assumption is the way Kris might have been coded could have caused issues if connected directly. While trying to double check the instances of it, I found out that Crystal connecting to Crystal also does this.

I learned earlier this week that Crystal didn't fix a few battle-system glitches, like Dragon Fang & Dragon Scale not having the proper in-battle effects, because it would cause a desynch with GS so I wonder if the trade system as a whole was carried over from GS unaltered or something to that effect. So it wasn't set to read Kris properly and well, if they have to spoof it anyway it's probably easier to just have you change clothes before heading in.
Space reasons, they needed a GS compatible trade routine and likely didn't see the need to waste limited cartridge space on a separate Crystal to Crystal trade routine just for the purpose of having the girls be able to see the Kris sprite while trading.

The purpose is only for visual consistency, and nothing would go wrong if you removed it since that data isn't even transferred between games as you point out. Since everything in the room (the overworld NPCs and the link battle enemy using CAL's trainer class and battle sprite) is static on the client side, your own current sprite and palette ingame is irrelevant to the other player. Since the link functions are basically built around and assuming GS as mentioned, game versions and gender aren't even transferred or taken into account to be read, like how the Time Capsule doesn't need to be consistent with using Red sprites. On the other hand, mobile battles are guaranteed to be between Crystal games and would allow you to keep your current sprite, though the overworld rooms are different so it would only show up for battles anyway.

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
The purpose is only for visual consistency, and nothing would go wrong if you removed it since that data isn't even transferred between games as you point out. Since everything in the room (the overworld NPCs and the link battle enemy using CAL's trainer class and battle sprite) is static on the client side, your own current sprite and palette ingame is irrelevant to the other player. Since the link functions are basically built around and assuming GS as mentioned, game versions and gender aren't even transferred or taken into account to be read, like how the Time Capsule doesn't need to be consistent with using Red sprites. On the other hand, mobile battles are guaranteed to be between Crystal games and would allow you to keep your current sprite, though the overworld rooms are different so it would only show up for battles anyway.
You always come through with finicky questions like these, cheers. Been doing a fair amount of trading between the VC titles recently and it was making me curious.

[Repost from another thread]

Hi, I'm returning to Pokémon after a long hiatus.

In Gen 7 I had completed my all-ribbon Pokémon (excepting the GCN purification ribbons, which were impossible for my chosen Pokémon to get), and although I didn't think I wanted to return to the series, the coming 3DS and later Bank internet shutdown galvanized me to getting my ribbon Pokémon onto Home in order that they wouldn't become "extinct."

I also want to get the newer ribbons, however, and that's what this comes to: one ribbon, the Master Rank Ribbon, requires playing against other players in the Ranked Battle system to acquire. It's also just in Sword and Shield, evidently, a set of games somewhat older now. [EDIT: I have since learned that the ribbon is evidently obtainable in Scarlet & Violet too, but I can't transport my Latios ribbon project there.]

Is it going to be possible for me to get enough matches to get that ribbon on 4 Pokémon? If it's totally desolate, is it possible for a friend to just get on the Ranked Battle system and sort of supply me with random matches? Or is that a misunderstanding of how the system works?

Thanks for your consideration.

Last edited:

In Gen 7 I had completed my all-ribbon Pokémon (excepting the GCN purification ribbons, which were impossible for my chosen Pokémon to get), and although I didn't think I wanted to return to the series, the coming 3DS and later Bank internet shutdown galvanized me to getting my ribbon Pokémon onto Home in order that they wouldn't become "extinct."

I also want to get the newer ribbons, however, and that's what this comes to: one ribbon, the Master Rank Ribbon, requires playing against other players in the Ranked Battle system to acquire. It's also just in Sword and Shield, evidently, a set of games somewhat older now. [EDIT: I have since learned that the ribbon is evidently obtainable in Scarlet & Violet too, but I can't transport my Latios ribbon project there.]

Is it going to be possible for me to get enough matches to get that ribbon on 4 Pokémon? If it's totally desolate, is it possible for a friend to just get on the Ranked Battle system and sort of supply me with random matches? Or is that a misunderstanding of how the system works?

Sorry that I'm not answering your question here - but Pokemon Bank will still be usable despite cutting off the 3DS's internet functions in 2024.

their post says "the coming 3DS and later Bank shutdown" so I think theyre aware, but either way we all know Bank isn't lasting until the heat death of the universe

I can't help answer the question though as I haven't played SWSH :(

The Master Rank ribbon can also be gotten in Scarlet and Violet. It's the same one.

The Master Rank ribbon can also be gotten in Scarlet and Violet. It's the same one.
Thank you! As for Latios, is there still a chance it will become compatible with Gen 9 in the future? Or will I need to spend a good bit of time seeking matches in Pokémon Sword when I get to the point that I can do that?

Thank you! As for Latios, is there still a chance it will become compatible with Gen 9 in the future? Or will I need to spend a good bit of time seeking matches in Pokémon Sword when I get to the point that I can do that?
at present we don't know for sure that any of the remaining legends will make it to Gen 9.
Precedent says probably, but that only goes so far.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)