Sticky Orange Islands SQSA Thread

Oddball question from someone only partially into Gen 8 (and nowhere in Gen 9): does Farfetch'd from pre-Gen 8 evolve into Sirfetch'd, or is it only the Gen 8+ ones that do?

I'm sometimes considering using RNG abuse to get a Farfetch'd in Gen 3 then turn it into a ribbon project and get every ribbon before Bank shuts down, but I kind of want it to be unable to evolve, because I like to think i am making a ribbon Pokémon out of about the weakest fully evolved Pokémon in the game (as far as i know; I've been out of Pokémon for a while).

at present we don't know for sure that any of the remaining legends will make it to Gen 9.
Precedent says probably, but that only goes so far.
Thanks! I guess if Latios never reaches Gen 9, I can always take it back to Gen 8 and try to get matches in Ranked.

Oddball question from someone only partially into Gen 8 (and nowhere in Gen 9): does Farfetch'd from pre-Gen 8 evolve into Sirfetch'd, or is it only the Gen 8+ ones that do?

I'm sometimes considering using RNG abuse to get a Farfetch'd in Gen 3 then turn it into a ribbon project and get every ribbon before Bank shuts down, but I kind of want it to be unable to evolve, because I like to think i am making a ribbon Pokémon out of about the weakest fully evolved Pokémon in the game (as far as i know; I've been out of Pokémon for a while).
Normal Farfetch'd cannot evolve period
Only Galarian Farfetch'd can evolve into Sirfetch'd.

Any evolution (Obstagoon, Cursola, Sirfetch'd, Sneasler etc) that evolves from a regional form can ONLY evolve from that regional form. Yeah it's annoying

Not-quite-the-same but I may as well mention that any Stantler, Sychter or Ursaring can evolve into their new Legends evolutions but at present (sigh....) they can only evolve in Legends.

Does anybody have a comprehensive list on all ribbons (and marks if possible, but mostly looking for ribbons) obtainable in all generations, and which ribbons are obtainable in which generation under which conditions, etc.? Serebii's lists are good but I don't think I'm getting perfect information. There are some random things I'm looking to find out, such as how many victories you need in Emerald's Battle Tower to get a ribbon (I think I remember getting a ribbon in Gen 3 there for some Pokémon).

Also, I'm not sure if this is the correct place to ask, but is it actually possible to do RNG abuse in physical Gen 3 cartridges and Colosseum / XD that results in shiny Pokémon with 5/6 perfect IVs? I know it's possible to use physical Gen 3 cartridges to get less-than-perfect RNG Pokémon, or to get perfect Pokémon using an emulator. I've RNG'd via emulator before, but when I got a pretty-much-perfect Pokémon it took something like 4 days I seem to remember to get to the frame. I don't know if players are waiting 4 days for one attempt to hit the right frame, or just have crazy good reflexes and can hit it first try, but I don't think real life will allow me to do that. (Also it's been ~12 years or so since I did much RNG abuse at all, so apologies if I'm using the terminology incorrectly.)

Normal Farfetch'd cannot evolve period
Only Galarian Farfetch'd can evolve into Sirfetch'd.

Any evolution (Obstagoon, Cursola, Sirfetch'd, Sneasler etc) that evolves from a regional form can ONLY evolve from that regional form. Yeah it's annoying

Not-quite-the-same but I may as well mention that any Stantler, Sychter or Ursaring can evolve into their new Legends evolutions but at present (sigh....) they can only evolve in Legends.
Thanks for the info! Yeah, that's what I was hoping, because part of the reason I'd be doing Farfetch'd is to have the final product of a ribbon project that had gone through all the challenges of the game with such great difficulty as few Pokemon besides Farfetch'd could have. Honestly I can't imagine getting some of the ribbons that are required. And thank you for the other information on evolutions.

Does anybody have a comprehensive list on all ribbons (and marks if possible, but mostly looking for ribbons) obtainable in all generations, and which ribbons are obtainable in which generation under which conditions, etc.? Serebii's lists are good but I don't think I'm getting perfect information. There are some random things I'm looking to find out, such as how many victories you need in Emerald's Battle Tower to get a ribbon (I think I remember getting a ribbon in Gen 3 there for some Pokémon).

Also, I'm not sure if this is the correct place to ask, but is it actually possible to do RNG abuse in physical Gen 3 cartridges and Colosseum / XD that results in shiny Pokémon with 5/6 perfect IVs? I know it's possible to use physical Gen 3 cartridges to get less-than-perfect RNG Pokémon, or to get perfect Pokémon using an emulator. I've RNG'd via emulator before, but when I got a pretty-much-perfect Pokémon it took something like 4 days I seem to remember to get to the frame. I don't know if players are waiting 4 days for one attempt to hit the right frame, or just have crazy good reflexes and can hit it first try, but I don't think real life will allow me to do that. (Also it's been ~12 years or so since I did much RNG abuse at all, so apologies if I'm using the terminology incorrectly.)

Thanks for the info! Yeah, that's what I was hoping, because part of the reason I'd be doing Farfetch'd is to have the final product of a ribbon project that had gone through all the challenges of the game with such great difficulty as few Pokemon besides Farfetch'd could have. Honestly I can't imagine getting some of the ribbons that are required. And thank you for the other information on evolutions.
None of the Gen 8 marks can be obtained on on a Pokémon not generated in SwSh, however certain Gen 9 ones are available to transferred Pokémon:
  1. When a Pokémon is first transferred from Bank to Home it will be assigned a random size value, so if you get lucky enough to have that value be 0 or 255 you can get the Mini or Jumbo Marks respectively (as should be obvious the two Marks are mutually exclusive) and you may not be able to get either from random chance.
  2. Every 10,000 steps, every Pokémon in your party with 200 or higher friendship has a 1/100 chance to obtain the Partner Mark.
  3. Whenever the Pokémon in first picks up an item in let's go mode it has a 1/100 chance to obtain the Itemfinder Mark.
  4. Whenever you make a sandwich or buy food from a restaurant every Pokémon in your party have a 1/34-ish chance to obtain the Gourmand Mark.
As for Ribbons obtainable in the Gen 8 and 9 games:
  • Galar Champion Ribbon: Have the Pokémon in the party when beating Leon in the story or when doing the Galar Champion Tournament in the post-game (only the Champion Tournament mind you, the Galarian Star Tournament doesn't work)
  • Paldea Champion Ribbon: Have the Pokémon in the party when beating Geeta during the story or when doing the Academy Ace Tournament.
  • Twinkling Star Ribbon: In BDSP Pokémon who have all 5 Master Rank contest ribbons (the same ones as ORAS) and the Contest Star Ribbon can enter a Brilliant/Shining Contest (name varies based on version), winning will award this Ribbon.
  • Tower Master Ribbon: Defeat Leon at max rank in the SwSh Battle Tower or defeat Palmer at rank 10 in the Master Class in BDSP's Battle Tower.
  • Master Rank Ribbon: After reaching max rank in online ranked battle in SwSh or SV any Pokémon you use in a battle that you win in ranked mode will be awarded this Ribbon.
  • Hisui Ribbon: Take a picture with the Pokémon in the photo studio in Legends Arceus.

I don't know the answer to this but if you don't get a satisfactory answer, if your answer requires multiple sources, etc let me know and I'll do a write up and put it on my website

There's plenty of ribbon masters out there. I believe this video goes pretty in depth
and of course there's bulbapedia's huge ribbon list https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_Ribbons_in_the_games

There's plenty of ribbon masters out there. I believe this video goes pretty in depth
and of course there's bulbapedia's huge ribbon list https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_Ribbons_in_the_games
Thank you so much! That was good information.

I'm sorry if I'm still asking JFGI-tier questions, but I was wondering if there is a good recommendation for a guide on RNG abuse in Pokémon Colosseum and Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness? The most complicated thing I've done as far as Pokémon RNG goes is on an Emerald emulator, and that was complicated enough as it was!

I've read a little bit about GCN Pokémon RNG abuse, but I have had trouble understanding it. I tend to ask a lot of questions because I seem to learn these things better when I'm communicating with somebody.

Thanks for your consideration.

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion

I'm sorry if I'm still asking JFGI-tier questions, but I was wondering if there is a good recommendation for a guide on RNG abuse in Pokémon Colosseum and Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness? The most complicated thing I've done as far as Pokémon RNG goes is on an Emerald emulator, and that was complicated enough as it was!

I've read a little bit about GCN Pokémon RNG abuse, but I have had trouble understanding it. I tend to ask a lot of questions because I seem to learn these things better when I'm communicating with somebody.

I can't recommend anything directly, but I was briefly on r/PokemonRNG the other day and there's a lot of Colosseum/XD content there so it might be worth a look if you haven't already. There'll be some good resources.

imablissy on YouTube has tutorials for Colloseum and XD RNG (and most other Pokemon games).

Collo playlist: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4o9bTT3px_iW1BJ9aqAv59cp-oB_CxV4&si=YiesJq9rX9KVKlQm

XD playlist: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4o9bTT3px_iW1BJ9aqAv59cp-oB_CxV4&si=YiesJq9rX9KVKlQm

I am looking for an item or ability that reduces user's accuracy or move's accuracy for bonus power or bonus secondary effect?

Also is there any item or ability that allows a move that would normally hit single target to hit multiple target in double battles.

Mex

The last ace in a lost hand
is a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
I am looking for an item or ability that reduces user's accuracy or move's accuracy for bonus power or bonus secondary effect?

Also is there any item or ability that allows a move that would normally hit single target to hit multiple target in double battles.
For the first half, the ability Hustle would be what you're looking for

Second half, pretty sure just doesn't exist

Does Type Change by Protean or Libero persist even after pokemon switches out?

So If I use U-Turn on Meowscarada with Protean and it changes to a bug type; when I bring it back to the battlefield later on in the game, does it enter the battlefield as a bug type or as a grass/dark type?

Fusion Flare

i have hired this cat to stare at you
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Does Type Change by Protean or Libero persist even after pokemon switches out?

So If I use U-Turn on Meowscarada with Protean and it changes to a bug type; when I bring it back to the battlefield later on in the game, does it enter the battlefield as a bug type or as a grass/dark type?
When you switch out a Libero/Protean user, they return to their original type. Meowscarada only becomes Bug-type while it uses U-turn, but it becomes Grass/Dark if it comes back in.

I hope this question doesn't contradict Smogon rules (and that it will be promptly deleted if it does), but is there some outside device that transports Pokémon from an emulator version of XD: Gale of Darkness to a physical cart of Emerald --- or to Colosseum, in whichever order is needed to get a Pokémon its ribbons in those games? Basically I need to get Farfetch'd its Earth Ribbon somehow, but it starts on XD, and it must end up on physical Emerald to be transferred. Thanks.

You have two options:
1. Use pkhex to read your save and rip the .pkmn file, then use an action replay or something to inject it into the cartridge

2. Get a GameCube to USB hub and plug in a gba to GameCube link cable, then trade normally (emulation quality varies, this may not work with your build)

I hope this question doesn't contradict Smogon rules (and that it will be promptly deleted if it does), but is there some outside device that transports Pokémon from an emulator version of XD: Gale of Darkness to a physical cart of Emerald --- or to Colosseum, in whichever order is needed to get a Pokémon its ribbons in those games? Basically I need to get Farfetch'd its Earth Ribbon somehow, but it starts on XD, and it must end up on physical Emerald to be transferred. Thanks.
Assuming you have a GameCube adapter you should just be able to trade with XD and Colosseum running on new-ish versions of Dolphin with a physical cart, assuming you also have a GameCube Link Cable and an actual GBA/GBA SP.

I have a Switch Lite with Scarlet, and a regular Switch with Violet. These are both under the same nintendo account.

How can I trade offline between S & V (using both switches) to evolve my Scyther and Slowbro?

I have a Switch Lite with Scarlet, and a regular Switch with Violet. These are both under the same nintendo account.

How can I trade offline between S & V (using both switches) to evolve my Scyther and Slowbro?
Yes. The Nintendo account doesn't even come it.
Of course that's if you can get the offline link functionality to work mind you, I've had issues with it.

Last edited:

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
Anyone know where I can find a list of all the rental Pokemon in Colosseum's Battle Now mode? Bulbapedia has a list of all species but not their full movesets/stats.

Just curious, are there any Megathreads or sites that are compiling a list of past gen exclusive mons/moves/ribbons, etc to get before the inevitable Bank shutdown? I know that legacy moves end at SW/SH era, but it would be nice to know.

I've been watching I'm a Blissey's YouTube videos about XD: Gale of Darkness RNG manipulation. Although the videos are very helpful, at the time he made them in 2018 the RNG program was entirely in Japanese. Has that program been translated since then?

EDIT: Also, do Shadow Pokémon reveal shininess in battle when they first appear, or only after purification or something?

And if I hit the target and get the shiny Farfetch'd, can I KO it and have it still be the same mon in post-game, so that I can capture it with the one Luxury Ball the game gives you?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)