Sticky Orange Islands SQSA Thread

What is the legality status of Deoxys RNG'd on a NA Emerald emulator? I ask because apparently the Deoxys event item was only released to JP versions of Emerald.

What is the legality status of Deoxys RNG'd on a NA Emerald emulator? I ask because apparently the Deoxys event item was only released to JP versions of Emerald.
No? Quite the opposite in fact, I think you're misreading the Bulbapedia article, it was only available to Emerald via a bunch of events throughout Europe that didn't consider Japanese cartridges valid.

No? Quite the opposite in fact, I think you're misreading the Bulbapedia article, it was only available to Emerald via a bunch of events throughout Europe that didn't consider Japanese cartridges valid.
I did misread it, but it was on Smogon, not Bulbapedia. It said it wasn't available in Japanese games, not that it was.

Either way, what's the status on RNGing Deoxys in Emerald and trading it? Is it only valid on EU cartridges if the event was only available in EU games? The reason I'm concerned is because my physical cartridges are NA, and I'm not sure about the safety of transferring over EU emulator data to NA carts. (Obviously I am not the most knowledgeable about the process.)

I did misread it, but it was on Smogon, not Bulbapedia. It said it wasn't available in Japanese games, not that it was.

Either way, what's the status on RNGing Deoxys in Emerald and trading it? Is it only valid on EU cartridges if the event was only available in EU games? The reason I'm concerned is because my physical cartridges are NA, and I'm not sure about the safety of transferring over EU emulator data to NA carts. (Obviously I am not the most knowledgeable about the process.)
To me, yeah I would assume that if a thing was only available in the EU, then anything attempting to approach legitimacy would need to originate from an EU game.

Of course I'd also say that had you not said anything, the Deoxys would be undiscernable since by the time it reaches gen 4 I don't think any sort of real-life region check occurs and I don't think it has any data to save regarding that in gen 3.

Anyway if you really want to be as legit as possible considering the circumstances, I believe emulators can trade with each other these days. Just RNG it in the European game and trade it to the American game, then put it on your American cart.

There is no difference between a European cartridge and a North American one, none of the Nintendo handhelds were region-locked until the 3DS, a European English/French/Spanish Emerald is completely identical to the NA equivalent.
The events in question could connect to NA carts just fine.

Okay, sounds good. I need to learn a lot about transporting Pokémon between emulators and retail carts, but as long as region doesn't make a difference, got no problem with using an EU game.

Just to make sure, Deoxys isn't shiny-locked? Nor is the FRLG Mewtwo (if that can be RNG'd)? Part of the fun is getting shiny versions, if possible.

Okay, sounds good. I need to learn a lot about transporting Pokémon between emulators and retail carts, but as long as region doesn't make a difference, got no problem with using an EU game.

Just to make sure, Deoxys isn't shiny-locked? Nor is the FRLG Mewtwo (if that can be RNG'd)? Part of the fun is getting shiny versions, if possible.
Aside from give aways and I think a few edge cases (I don't think the Japanese Colosseum Bonus Disc Celebi can be shiny?), shiny locks weren't a thing to really worry about until gen 5 (which locked Reshiram, Zekrom and Victini).
Provided you can fight the Pokemon, you can SR for a shiny for as long as you like. Only real limit is when the Pokemon is generated (ie: have fun hunting the roamers)

Aside from give aways and I think a few edge cases (I don't think the Japanese Colosseum Bonus Disc Celebi can be shiny?), shiny locks weren't a thing to really worry about until gen 5 (which locked Reshiram, Zekrom and Victini).
Provided you can fight the Pokemon, you can SR for a shiny for as long as you like. Only real limit is when the Pokemon is generated (ie: have fun hunting the roamers)
Shiny locks did not exist pre-Gen 5 (excluding XD, nothing in XD can be shiny except the wild Pokémon at Poké Spots). If you could catch it on the GBA it is completely capable of being shiny.

Also Shadow Lugia might be able to be shiny? I have distinct memories of putting it in the Purify Chamber, checking its summary after seeing it could be purified, taking it out to purify it at the rock because I preferred the animation, only to have the heart reclose and it to have a different nature when I actually purified it. So I think Lugia might be generated differently from the other Shadow Pokémon?

Also Shadow Lugia might be able to be shiny? I have distinct memories of putting it in the Purify Chamber, checking its summary after seeing it could be purified, taking it out to purify it at the rock because I preferred the animation, only to have the heart reclose and it to have a different nature when I actually purified it. So I think Lugia might be generated differently from the other Shadow Pokémon?
I would love some intel on Lugia about this. I have never heard of any XD shadow Pokémon being shiny since I first learned about that shiny lock, but I would be down to catch it shiny if that's possible. Lugia is one of my projects alongside Farfetch'd.

Also, I assume if I KO shadow Lugia with the right stats in order to be able to catch it with a post-game ball like Dive Ball, I just go back to the final boss and I'll be able to fight it again with the same stats? I know I can do that with other Pokémon, but they'd end up with Miror B.

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
Shiny locks did not exist pre-Gen 5 (excluding XD, nothing in XD can be shiny except the wild Pokémon at Poké Spots). If you could catch it on the GBA it is completely capable of being shiny.

I'm happy to be proven wrong but nothing I've seen suggests that Lugia can ever be shiny in XD. People have modded the game to make it a possibility ( https://www.reddit.com/r/ShinyPokemon/comments/x01ktz ) so if it were possible I'm certain that would have been found by now.

As to its nature changing, again I might be wrong but the nature is fixed when you catch the Pokemon in XD. I'm fairly sure this is different to Colosseum (in which everything is fixed upon encounter) because Zook's Zangoose is seen twice before you battle him and famously can change its gender on each occasion, therefore is not fixed; obviously its nature isn't fixed either because different players, and me myself having played the game more than once, have caught different spreads. EDIT: yep, just read that when you first see the Shadow Hitmontop in Colosseum (in the cutscene battle with Eagun) it's fixed at that point, so Colosseum definitely does this differently.

So your Lugia's nature should not have changed unless there's another factor I'm aware of. Lugia cannot even be purified in the Relic Forest in XD so I think your memory is inaccurate; only the Purify Chamber works. When you place it in the chamber the shadow gauge empties instantly, but taking it out without purifying will refill the gauge.

Last edited:
So your Lugia's nature should not have changed unless there's another factor I'm aware of. Lugia cannot even be purified in the Relic Forest in XD so I think your memory is inaccurate; only the Purify Chamber works. When you place it in the chamber the shadow gauge empties instantly, but taking it out without purifying will refill the gauge.
That's the point, child me didn't know that and took it out of the chamber once before actually purifying it, and the nature was different when it was put in the second time, I have no idea if shinyness is possible or not just that there's something different with Lugia in terms of generation, hence why I said might be able to be shiny, not a definite can be.

Why is Wishlisting Forbidden here?!
Because even nowadays it's far too easy for any discussion to degenerate in "i wish this this and this in pokemon".

Noone is going to kill you for expressing a opinion (not a case we have both a unpopular opinion and things you like/dislike threads), however we rather not have every other thread become just users listing how they would change pokemon games (and believe me that still happens every other day)

QuentinQuonce

Shadow pokemon in Colo/XD have their personality values reset after catching them. That means they can be shiny and then you catch them and they become unshiny. Or they are unshiny and you catch them and they become shiny.
You're almost right: as I'm sure was pointed out at least once already, this is only the case in Colosseum. In XD, the game prevents itself from rolling any personality value that would result in a shadow Pokemon being shiny.

It's also worth pointing out that if the RNG in Colosseum rolls a value that means an NPC should have a shiny shadow Pokemon, this won't be visible in their first battle but will become visible if they are rematched. As I mentioned, this is most obvious in the case of the shadow Hitmontop because it's seen before capture; in the battle against Eagun, it will not be shiny, but it may then become shiny in the subsequent battle against the player. However, as discussed, it's unlikely that any of these Pokemon will remain so once caught, so it's entirely possible to fight an "invisible shiny" and catch it without realising.

If this is something we can talk about, I've heard the 4th Gen WiFi part of the Battle Tower is still accessible through fan servers. As I am doing another ribbon project, I am interested in getting the World Ability ribbon with all the others. How does one access these servers?

QuentinQuonce

QuentinQuonce

Thanks! I'll keep that open for when I get to Gen 4.

Any general advice for the somewhat random teams there? Like recurrent Pokémon I'll see? It's been a long time since I did WiFi ribbons, and I didn't notice a thread in the Battle Facilities forum for the WiFi Tower.
In general I would look at what's OU in Gen IV; opponents there will be more likely to use Pokemon that are popular rather than the general pool the in-game tower opponents would use. So probably less OHKO and evasion bullshittery, but more Cresselia, Heatran, Suicune, and Zapdos. There might be dedicated threads on the topic from back in the day, but I'm not sure.

In general I would look at what's OU in Gen IV; opponents there will be more likely to use Pokemon that are popular rather than the general pool the in-game tower opponents would use. So probably less OHKO and evasion bullshittery, but more Cresselia, Heatran, Suicune, and Zapdos. There might be dedicated threads on the topic from back in the day, but I'm not sure.
Yeah, I'm expecting to see plenty of Garchomp, Metagross, and other popular Pokémon that players would likely have used to traverse the offline towers, too.

I'm having a hard time seeing how a team, 2/3 of which needs to cover pretty much every type arrangement I'm likely to encounter, is going to make it with a third team member who can't pull its weight with its typing and moves and has a BST of something like 352 --- not that much more than half the BST of many Pokémon it will face. Gotta win 7 battles in a row with it --- ouch.

EDIT: My thoughts right now for a respectable duo is Garchomp + Heatran.

EDIT: Ah, but that gets stomped by Suicune unless I put a Yache Berry on Garchomp (Or just expect to use Explosion on Heatran whenever I encounter it).

Last edited:
If I have an Ursaring that knows egg moves it was bred with, and then I transfer it to Arceus Legends to evolve it to Ursaluna, and I then transfer it back to HOME, will it retain those egg moves again?

Question about Colosseum Shinies: I believe unlike XD, Colosseum "confirms" a Shadow Pokemon capture immediately such that it can be added to your party and then sent out in the same battle. Does the Pokemon generate its "player" PV as soon as that happens or does the battle have to complete first (i.e. if you catch an "invisible" Shiny does it show in the battle or only after)?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)