ORAS General Discussion - Mark 2 - Spoilers Inside

Status
Not open for further replies.
thats just depressing. that means that i can no longer use avalanche rhyperior in competitive play.
I'm still depressed that defog isn't in the game...Been wanting to get Defog Skarmory/Lati@s/Zapdos for WiFi derping around. Also was hoping the genie twins got it (both would get priority with Prankster in their Incarnate forms, Torn-T has regenerator). And if all else fails you can use Ice Punch Rhyperior (the elemental punch move tutor is confirmed to be in the game). At least it's nice to see the Punches, Knock Off, and Stealth Rock become more accessible. Hyper Voice is another notable one, makes it easier with DW eevees to get good sylveons (Heal Bell tutor also confirmed) and (mega) gardevoir/salamence (both of which are INSANE in triples). I'm also interested in Hyper Voice/Surf Heliolisk for some Double Battle fun with Politoed, anyone else?

I'm still depressed that defog isn't in the game...Been wanting to get Defog Skarmory/Lati@s/Zapdos for WiFi derping around. Also was hoping the genie twins got it (both would get priority with Prankster in their Incarnate forms, Torn-T has regenerator). And if all else fails you can use Ice Punch Rhyperior (the elemental punch move tutor is confirmed to be in the game). At least it's nice to see the Punches, Knock Off, and Stealth Rock become more accessible. Hyper Voice is another notable one, makes it easier with DW eevees to get good sylveons (Heal Bell tutor also confirmed) and (mega) gardevoir/salamence (both of which are INSANE in triples). I'm also interested in Hyper Voice/Surf Heliolisk for some Double Battle fun with Politoed, anyone else?
there is ice punch, but it doesnt OHKO mega salamence or garchomp. having all of the tutor moves from bw2 is really nice. not having to breed for a lot of moves really saves time when putting a team together.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
there is ice punch, but it doesnt OHKO mega salamence or garchomp. having all of the tutor moves from bw2 is really nice. not having to breed for a lot of moves really saves time when putting a team together.
44+ Atk Rhyperior Ice Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Garchomp: 344-408 (96.3 - 114.2%) -- 75% chance to OHKO
44+ Atk Rhyperior Ice Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Salamence: 264-312 (79.7 - 94.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Mega Salamence can't really touch you unless it has Draco Meteor or Hydro Pump, plus Avalanche isn't reliable since it requires you to take damage on the same turn.

EDIT: Whoops thought this was the OU general discussion thread. :/

They were crazy, and had no qualms with killing at least millions as a side effect of expanding more land/sea. Archie was was manipulating public opinion and especially Maxie, who tried to cause a natural disaster by making Mt. Chimney erupt, and even tried to make the player "disappear" when raising Groudon.
I think you're either quoting something other than the games (like the manga or anime or what have you), or your head-cannon is overtaking the real cannon.

Which isn't bad, but as far as Pokemon game villains go, Aqua and Magma to me were always the shallowest end of an already thin wading pool. I doubt we are going to get a detailed backstory about Maxie losing his family and farm due to a burst aqueduct or Archie's mom giving her life failing to save the Wailords.

Heck even the demo is leaning towards kooky Saturday morning eco-terrorists, with all the bad bromance of Tabitha and Matt, grunts gushing about how awesome Steven is. And who says kooky is bad?! Kooky can be fun! Look at Bowser in the Paper Mario's!

I guess this might be my headcannon overtaking things, but Team Aqua will always be those jerks from Whale Wars while Team Magma is like BP after the oil spill trying to justify global warming to kids with charts. Like a reverse Al Gore.

Edit: And now I've got an image of Maxie lecturing on how super serial it is to revive Land-Bear-Pig.

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
While I doubt we'll start going into Maxie and Archie's psychology, it's not completely thrown out the window we won't here why they're doing this. They went pretty in-depth why Lysandre was doing what he was doing in XY and already we're being told more about Team Aqua/Magma's goals than before. In RSE all we really knew is that they wanted to increase the seas/land because... they think the seas/land is cool. Yeah, not really much to go on. However ORAS has so far revealed added reasons: Team Magma thinks expanding the land will further human development (tossing aside Pokemon and humans trying to coexist equally with one another) while Team Aqua thinks expanding the seas is the best option as all life comes from the seas (maybe even implying they want to start the world over?). That already tells us a bit more about Archie and Maxie than what we were told before. In addition, they expanded on their personality traits: Maxie is some kind of methodical scientist while Archie is this eccentric showmen.

Whether they do tell us more about them or not, these added details do give us a bit more depth to their characters so that maybe we can draw our own conclusions about them.

For example, from this info provided here is my possible theory why they're doing what they're doing:

Maxie: Considering his new scientist theme, I can imagine maybe in someway the world's attitude to maintain human/Pokemon co-existence might have burned him in the past. Say he was working on a discovery that would revolutionize the world and further human development but in order to so he'd need more land. So he makes the proposal to create more artificial land but no matter where he suggests to put it the community refuses to approve it because there's a Pokemon habitat he'd disturb. Angry that his research he spent years on to help people being refused, he decides he'll force everyone to follow his plan by increasing the land thus destroying those Pokemon habitats for the sake of humanity.

Archie: With how he's a bit eccentric, I can also imagine he's also an emotional guy as well. I can see Archie being a sailor (maybe even a captain) who never had a good time on land but when he's out on the sea he feels like he's free of problems. I can imagine him experiencing death and tragedy on land and, being an emotional guy, it affecting him pretty bad and him being out on sea helps him temporarily escape. Of course it's only temporarily, and maybe his next trip to land he experience another bad incident that gets him angry with the world and decides he's not going to take it anymore so he's going to restart the world by expanding the seas, afterall that's where life came from so it's possibly where the solution to the world's woes might be.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Okay, so it's been forever since new news. I am going to lock this until the Corocoro stuff starts to leak (which may be within the next two days or so). Just going round and round in circles here.

Contact one of the OI mods (Or all of us), Stellar NoCheese Codraroll and I, if Corocoro leaks and one of us isn't around (Which I doubt). We will then unlock the thread and you guys can go bananas again :)

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I got a super mod to unlock this because corocoro leaks!

"The next batch of CoroCoro information has been posted to Japanese forums and this batch showcases more information about the upcoming game Pokémon Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire. This first images showcases many of the legends available throughout the game including revealing that Deoxys is available in the game at some point of a part of the game called Episode Delta. It also reveals a character who is called Higana. She travels with a Whismur and has Salamence when you battle her" ~Serebii

That is all for now.

And yes you saw it, Deoxys is apparently available at some point of the game if Serebii is to be believed in Episode Delta...

EDIT: Updated with Episode Delta.

Last edited:
Exciting to see that all of the legendaries will be obtainable with just the two games! It was mentioned that they would be, but we only had footage of the cover legendaries up until now. Although it doesn't completely hackproof the game, I feel like it's better than nothing. Hopefully this points to most post-game too

Inspirited

There is usually higher ground.
is a Contributor Alumnus
[18:53] @WreckDra: i can already see countless hours going into sring a deo now @_@

In all seriousness though, I am so glad a legit one of these is confirmed in the game. With the limited distribution it had before, I am pretty sure most of the existing ones are saved or put in with another device. Where is the mew though? :/

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Goddammit, I was hopelessly praying for more Megas. Getting Deoxys outside of an event is interesting (maybe it'll be VGC legal now? :o) and paves the way for more Event mons being available.

Also, is it just me or is what-her-face cosplaying as a Darkrai? Because I am totally okay with this.

Last edited:
Guys, just because Serebii used the clunky "at some point in the game" wording doesn't mean they're making Deoxys in-game. Notice it's called "Episode Delta", which to me really sounds like an extra DLC/Event title.

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Apparently Deoxys is available through something called "Episode Delta". Who knows what this is supposed to mean and whatnot?

I guess we will see either when the leak finishes or people get their hands on the games but if Deoxys is indeed able to be catchable in-game w/o events then that is great news for me anyway since I have never had a chance to get Deoxys before... :|

I am so sad. NO MEGA FLYLOTIC.

So I'm guessing that girl with Salemance, Higina as they called her, is our Zinnia. I highly prefer the English name. She's shown with Mega Rayquaza over her, so she's probably the way Ray learns Dragon Ascent. And maybe she gives us a Bagon with the Salemencitite ala Steven.

So the biggest thing we can confirm from this is that when they said "all non-event legendaries not in XY will be in ORAS," they meant it. Not really new info, but cool of them to commit.

The Deoxys stuff is kind of interesting given the goings-on right now. Isn't there some promotion or special anime episode in Japan going on with a replay of Destiny Deoxys (the movie where Rayquaza and Deoxys got in a fight)? Makes sense if they want to light the hype train's fire, so to speak.

Edit: This is just idle conjecture, but delta is represented by a triangle (well, a triangular greek letter) and Deoxys in the original games was a triangle before being released. Wonder if they are trying to bond Deoxys into the Hoenn mythos more than just the space virus from planet X.

I would also like to point out the rocket and launch pad from Mossdeep is visible in the cover shot with the Magma/Aqua Admins, Steven, Wallace, the protagonists, the Hoenn cover legend trio, and the new dragon chick.

Last edited:
I really hope this isn't a stupid wifi event or DLC in the end. Doubt it though since it looks like Rayquaza is involved in some way.

Its nice to see Zinnia as well, trying to look at those small pictures of her and it appears she does have a 3D model for battles. Awesome.

Deoxys is likely going to be similar to Mew in Emerald, Deoxys in FRLG, Darkrai/Shaymin/Arceus in DPPt, etc. Emphasis on the Darkrai and Shaymin who had little stories in their games, yet could only be accessed with an event-exclusive item.

Also is it me or is Courtney looking angrily at Zinnia? Maybe's she thinks that Zinnia is going to take Brendan/May from her. Well, Hoenn does have plenty of Nice Boats.

It looks like Wallace will be playing some role in this as well, though he could have just been added for symmetry in the picture. He and Steven go way back apparently, after all.

I'm going to laugh if they decide to finally reuse the premise of Yellow, and make us go through a rough copy of the Destiny Deoxys plot, some ten years and three generations after its initial release.

Anyway, I think the main difference with Deoxys here, compared to other event quests, is that this is being mentioned prior to release. What this likely means is that, even if it is an event, it will be accessible at the time of the release, if not shortly after. If it is an event, then it will probably be most comparable to Liberty Garden and Victini, who was accessible from the start when Black and White were first released, as opposed to every other event legendary since the beginning of the wifi era. Now they just need to find a way to involve Jirachi, and they'll be all set.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)