ORAS General Discussion - Mark 2 - Spoilers Inside

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
How is giving Wish to Chansey as a tutor move a bad idea? Because it makes it accessible to people who don't want to hunt down a (potentially hacked) clone?

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
How is giving Wish to Chansey as a tutor move a bad idea? Because it makes it accessible to people who don't want to hunt down a (potentially hacked) clone?
Fixed your response.

As a battle spot player, I'm not too keen with the idea of that insane HP recovery being so widespread. In a fast-paced meta, granting what will oftentimes be full HP recovery to something like Aegislash or Talonflame can often be "gg". Granted, the Chansey line doesn't fit well in the BS meta, but still...

Besides, I hate fat pink blobs.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Softboiled was learned only by a half dozen pokémon, Wish could have the same learnset as a Tutor move.

Or even better, they could give it only to those pokémon that learned it from the NYPC event and other half a dozen ones. Perfect.

Softboiled was learned only by a half dozen pokémon, Wish could have the same learnset as a Tutor move.

Or even better, they could give it only to those pokémon that learned it from the NYPC event and other half a dozen ones. Perfect.
Softboiled unaware clefable needs to happen.

Seeing as we're talking about Move Tutors, for those who are interested, here's the list of moves that could be tutored at the Battle Frontier in Pokemon Emerald:
  • Body Slam
  • Counter
  • Defense Curl
  • Dream Eater
  • Endure
  • Fire Punch
  • Ice Punch
  • Icy Wind
  • Mega Kick
  • Mega Punch
  • Mud Slap
  • Psych Up
  • Rock Slide
  • Seismic Toss
  • Snore
  • Softboiled
  • Swift
  • Swords Dance
  • Thunder Wave
  • Thunder Punch
[/HIDE=Hide]
Nothing too exciting, although Softboiled could be useful if it returns, and likewise for the Elemental Puches if you're breeding a Conkeldurr but don't have parents with egg moves. Anyway, I just thought this would be interesting for those who want to predict what moves will be available.
This list is so outdated now, I don't think it will be very useful for trying to make predictions. There are a lot of moves that tms or just plain useless. The BW2 tutor list is absolutely massive in comparison. http://www.serebii.net/black2white2/movetutor.shtml

I'm excited to see what new moves are going to be available for tutoring. I think the aforementioned freeze dry would make a great choice for a tutor move. It's never going to happen but I would still like to see a rapid spin tutor. There are so many hazards but so few ways to remove them. I could see a defog tutor unless they want to save that for the inevitable gen 4 remakes (bleh).

I wanted to touch on Sidney for two seconds:
My impression was he was always a garage-band kinda guy with a little bit of punk. This is actually partly reinforced in the manga, because he first shows up in the RSE saga with an electric guitar.

I guess, if you wanted to be picky, just looking at his outfits and his demeanor from then and now, The original Sid was the kind of guy who lived for the thrill of the battle, and always hopes that, by the end of it, someone can keep rockin' it. I know a lot of musicians who talk similarly to Sid's gen3 text, they don't worry about feeling down when they're in an environment that makes them feel inspired. Modern Sidney looks like a rocker who made it in the music biz, started producing for himself and others, and was able to afford some good clothes at a specialty men's retailer because of it.
(The striped under-layer of his shirt reminds me of the things they sell at places like Moda.). In the midst of getting more popular, he allowed himself to become more of a character, kind of like what we all figured was going to happen to Guitarist January from BW2.

Being more of a personality kinda comes with his territory.

You know, ever since b/w, the gymleaders of the older games feel useless. They just stay in their gyms even as the crimes happen right outside their building... Other than the lunatic old guy and your dad, none of the leaders ever do anything! More backstories, maybe a double battle with the GymLeaders against the villains... I'm so tired of just meeting and being helped by that one trainer who, surprise surprise, is the champ of the region. Obviously not happening in a remake tho.

You know, ever since b/w, the gymleaders of the older games feel useless. They just stay in their gyms even as the crimes happen right outside their building... Other than the lunatic old guy and your dad, none of the leaders ever do anything! More backstories, maybe a double battle with the GymLeaders against the villains... I'm so tired of just meeting and being helped by that one trainer who, surprise surprise, is the champ of the region. Obviously not happening in a remake tho.
If Ghetsis's plan in BW (Turning N into a Champion so that all people -Bar Ghetsis himself- will willingly release their Pokemon) means anything, it's that everyone -Gym Leaders included- seems to have complete trust (Or even reliance) on whatever the Champion thinks or does. After all, that's the strongest trainer in the region. Perhaps, when something really serious happens, everyone starts thinking "I'm sure the Champion is on his/her way to put an end to this".

That makes them seem weaker. Gym leaders are supposed to be strong. The champion can't be in 8 places at once. The "meh I won't do anything cuz I'm sure the champ can do everything" attitude just makes the gym leaders seem even more useless. Having trust and respect is one thing, but that attitude is just sheer laziness and kinda subverts my image of what a gym leader should be

are we going to be able to do level 100 battles on battlespot in the upcoming games? i dont like the fact that its only restricted to PSS battles.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
I don't think the difference between lv.50 and lv.100 is that big of a deal and I think they're not going to do it because Lv.50 has been the standard for so long. The possibility is there though - we've had a lv.100 battlespot special in the past.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Yeah, GameFreak doesn't seem to know if they want to get their Gym Leader involved in the story/side things (which they should) or just be bosses who stand around in their Gym all day. It's another thing that annoyed me in XY, only really Korrina was seen doing anything that didn't involve her being a boss (the only one who "helped" was Olympia by reading ahead in the script peering into the future and vaguely tell you things are about to go down). And this is coming off Gen V which tried doing something with their Gym Leader.

Hopefully in addition to expanding upon Team Aqua & Magma the also expand on the Gym Leaders, maybe even let us see them outside the Gym doing things (like maybe have them compete in Pokemon Contests). They'll also probably add a Fighting Dojo/Battleground place somewhere so that they're more easier to go and re-battle.

Oh, and also the same for the Elite Four, even in BW they pretty much did nothing (except for Marshal, but he only got a slightly extended role in BW2. Actually I kind of feel bad for him, he's Alder's apprentice yet who's the next person to become the titled Champion? A little girl). Nice to see them involved too.

That makes them seem weaker. Gym leaders are supposed to be strong. The champion can't be in 8 places at once. The "meh I won't do anything cuz I'm sure the champ can do everything" attitude just makes the gym leaders seem even more useless. Having trust and respect is one thing, but that attitude is just sheer laziness and kinda subverts my image of what a gym leader should be
Indeed, I always saw the Gym Leaders as like the local police chief/sheriff. Though that's technically not part of their job (and we've seen plenty of Gym Leaders who don't qualify), I imagine everyone in the town/city still looks up to the Gym Leader for at least some help as they're probably the permanent strongest trainer there. While they of course need to listen to the Pokemon League, is something is happening (like a villainous team is running around) it's there job to keep an eye on things and report the suspicious activity, and even personally responding to it and doing what's best for the whole.

And going back to the Elite Four, why is the Champion the only one seen running around doing stuff? Where are the Elite Four who I would imagine be just as active agents as the Champion is. I can see the Pokemon League wanting to use the strongest person in the League, but what about the other 4 strong trainers at your disposal?

are we going to be able to do level 100 battles on battlespot in the upcoming games? i dont like the fact that its only restricted to PSS battles.
That's a detail I don't think we'll find out until the game is released, I'm afraid.

MOD EDIT: Why are you telling us about that? Every single other fansite will have information about those giveaways and this is not the topic for it anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just an observation: they haven't really spoken about diving. It seems apparent that they'll be bringing it back, but they've mentioned nearly every other means of travel/exploration. Walking, biking, Mr Briney's boat, Flying with Mega Lati, surfing, just not diving. Why?

This teasing is somehow keeping me on the edge of my seat more than the lack of confirmation about the battle tower/frontier

EDIT: NEED MORE BEAUTIFUL SCREENSHOTS

Last edited:
Just an observation: they haven't really spoken about diving. It seems apparent that they'll be bringing it back, but they've mentioned nearly every other means of travel/exploration. Walking, biking, Mr Briney's boat, Flying with Mega Lati, surfing, just not diving. Why?

This teasing is somehow keeping me on the edge of my seat more than the lack of confirmation about the battle tower/frontier
Uh, no. It was confirmed days ago when they did the 7 hours special with the new things at the end. The one that told us about M-Ray. Part of the footage they show us was diving and it was amazing. Photo in: http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20140904130119/es.pokemon/images/b/b6/Bruno_usando_buceo_ROZA.png

Xen

Wi-Fi Leader
Yeah diving was confirmed several weeks back to be returning, and it look absolutely amazing.

Time for some more underwater combat with Charmander, like the good ol days. o3o

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Diving will return, Yveltal, if that's what you meant. Check out 0:40 here:

Beat me to it, I was just about to post when I saw the alert come up. :P

Here's a bigger still shot:

It looks like when underwater you wear a Mudkip goggle and breathing aparatus. Also, as you can see, you will see Pokemon in the environment moving around but I don't think you can interact with them. Also they make it rather clear you're riding a Wailmer. I wonder if that's just for Wailmer or for all Pokemon?

Yeah diving was confirmed several weeks back to be returning, and it look absolutely amazing.

Time for some more underwater combat with Charmander, like the good ol days. o3o
Don't you mean Blaziken. :P

Xen

Wi-Fi Leader
Nah, since R/S didn't have the national dex until you traded with FRLG, you could technically trade for Kanto mons right when you first get the Pokedex, so that's what I did. (this was late 2004, when every 10 year old thought Charizard > Blaziken.)

Edit: Yeah, the lore about Charmander dying if it's flame goes out also adds to the irony of it.

Last edited:
Beat me to it, I was just about to post when I saw the alert come up. :P

Here's a bigger still shot:

It looks like when underwater you wear a Mudkip goggle and breathing aparatus. Also, as you can see, you will see Pokemon in the environment moving around but I don't think you can interact with them. Also they make it rather clear you're riding a Wailmer. I wonder if that's just for Wailmer or for all Pokemon?

Gonna bet that Wailmer gets the same treatment in ORAS that Lapras got in XY. If you use that specific Pokemon for surfing, you can see their unique model in the overworld.
The Corsolas swimming overhead is a fantastic touch. it feels a little more genuine than the Frillish and Mantines swimming past the undersea tube in Unova.

Also, the joke about charmander involves his flame being incapable of touching water, according to the lore

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Nah, since R/S didn't have the national dex until you traded with FRLG, you could technically trade for Kanto mons right when you first get the Pokedex, so that's what I did. (this was late 2004, when every 10 year old thought Charizard > Blaziken.)

Edit: Yeah, the lore about Charmander dying if it's flame goes out also adds to the irony of it.
Gonna bet that Wailmer gets the same treatment in ORAS that Lapras got in XY. If you use that specific Pokemon for surfing, you can see their unique model in the overworld.
The Corsolas swimming overhead is a fantastic touch. it feels a little more genuine than the Frillish and Mantines swimming past the undersea tube in Unova.

Also, the joke about charmander involves his flame being incapable of touching water, according to the lore
Yes, I got the joke, I was just being nitpicky. :P Though as Xen pointed out, apparently you can trade anytime you wanted so you could get a Charmander/Charmeleon/Charizard before Diving (and yes, Charizard is the best).

I figured the Lapras thing might be what will happen, though I would like it if they made more Pokemon models available to be seen on the overworld (at least the ones big enough that can learn both Surf and Dive in the Hoenn Dex).

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I don't think the difference between lv.50 and lv.100 is that big of a deal and I think they're not going to do it because Lv.50 has been the standard for so long. The possibility is there though - we've had a lv.100 battlespot special in the past.
Level 50 Pokemon do more damage relative to level 100 and speed tiers are different. I'm pretty sure they know about the damage difference and keep it at 50 because GF hates stalling tactics.

Hmm...Mega Pidgeot and Mega Beedrill. I told you guys that Mega Spinda will be a thing lol

Anyway, Pidgeot has decent speed and will certainly get faster. It'll need heavy SpA base stat investment though.
Accurate Hurricane and Air Slash are abusable (30% confusion and 30% flinch respectively).
[Fix me: Smogon XY Pokedex says Air Slash has boosted crit rate]
Dream moveset additions: Focus Blast and possibly Nasty Plot.

Beedrill seems a bit like Scizor lite both in design flavor and possessing Uturn.
STAB adaptability Uturn will hit like a truck with the likely 120+ base attack.
It'll need greatly improved speed but Absol got it so there's hope.
Dream moveset additions: Megahorn and Gunk Shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 11)