ORAS General Discussion - Mark 2 - Spoilers Inside

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Speaking of Friend Safaris, do we any have any idea if they'll be in ORAS or not?
Well in RSE the Safari Zone was on Route 121 so I wouldn't be surprised if they replaced that with the Friend Safari.

1. Go with Wyvern.

2. I know that. That's why I made my own:

Behold the Venom Badge!
1. Yeah, suppose Wyrm is too subtle/vague and people might be thinking I'm talking about an earthworm, lol. Wyvern Badge it is, which makes sense considering my ace is a flying dragon.

2. Nice! Would make my own but too lazy. In the end I'd probably have it look something like the Crimson Dragon mark from Yu-Gi-Oh! 5Ds.

(This won't get me in any copyright trouble, right?)

ANYWAY. With the whole Gym Leader Roleplaying thing, perhaps the locations of your secret bases should also be considered? Like you could totally have one in the bit before Meteor Falls; we could get really creative with this.
Hmm, being my team are psuedo dragons I think setting up near Mt Chimney or the desert wouldn't be a bad idea. I can either take one of the many places on Route 111 that's either in the desert or on the cliff or there's this one spot on Route 113 (the route where all the ash falls) that could also work.

Why are people so psyched for their own Gyms anyway? The AI is too stupid to make the fights fun, so just battle your friends with themed teams over WiFi if you want to have your roleplaying fix.
That's why you give them all attacking moves. Hopefully the AI is smart enough to understand type advantage and when not to use it.

Personally, I was not fond of the Friend Safari's.
Pushing contact between players is nice and all, but I want less control over the Pokémon I encounter.
Plus, I had a Ghost Friend Safari with the most useless mons, so I'd rather keep my safari pokemon to myself.
The regular safari would be fine.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Well in RSE the Safari Zone was on Route 121 so I wouldn't be surprised if they replaced that with the Friend Safari.

1. Yeah, suppose Wyrm is too subtle/vague and people might be thinking I'm talking about an earthworm, lol. Wyvern Badge it is, which makes sense considering my ace is a flying dragon.

2. Nice! Would make my own but too lazy. In the end I'd probably have it look something like the Crimson Dragon mark from Yu-Gi-Oh! 5Ds.

Hmm, being my team are psuedo dragons I think setting up near Mt Chimney or the desert wouldn't be a bad idea. I can either take one of the many places on Route 111 that's either in the desert or on the cliff or there's this one spot on Route 113 (the route where all the ash falls) that could also work.

That's why you give them all attacking moves. Hopefully the AI is smart enough to understand type advantage and when not to use it.
The AI is smart enough to understand the series' type chart, but doesn't know how to make complex predictions or switch out (unless they can't hit your Pokemon at all). It's incredibly predictable and only challenging during the story because of limited options or from blatant cheating.

Also, 1,500 posts. Woo.

Last edited:

The full mark of the Crimson Dragon is a bit too large and complex for a badge.
Badges aren't too hard to make as I made 18 different ones (one for each type) on Keynote (Mac Power Point).
Actually, the Dragon badge I have is called the Wyvern Badge, if you want to join the league I'm planing on making.

Last edited:
Well, there are maps that have the pokemon from the original Safari Zone, so it is returning; that's where we're supposed to catch Pidgeotto, Buneary, Kakuna, and (I believe) Metapod. If the Friend Safari does make return, it will most likely be in a new location; otherwise, if they were going to retcon an old location for the Friend Safari, the only place they would use would be the Altering Cave on Route 110, but that's entirely likely, as it was exclusively in Emerald.

A slow response from me, but looking over the recent trailer it looks like we wouldn't be getting wifi contests after all since it was never mentioned when they were showing off contests or connectivity.

Also the image towards the end (2:30) containing the mega evolution pokemon is similar to the one found in a convention some time ago, showing Flygon and Feebas/Miltotic. However, Zangoose was changed to Makuhita. It is highly unlikely that GF could simply add more mega evolutions between then and now so that's one reason why they wouldn't be getting a mega evolution. There is however one more issue of corocoro to go so we'll have to see what it mentions. Personally I think that we would be getting a few new megas despite the datamine not showing us anything.

Of course none of this is confirmed, I'm only speaking from the new trailer.

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Personally, I was not fond of the Friend Safari's.
Pushing contact between players is nice and all, but I want less control over the Pokémon I encounter.
Plus, I had a Ghost Friend Safari with the most useless mons, so I'd rather keep my safari pokemon to myself.
The regular safari would be fine.
Sadly I think we might be stuck with the Friend Safari for a long while. We can only hope that they decide to combine the old Safari Zone and Friend Safari together. Either the Friend Safari will be its own secluded location or if you have a friend certain Pokemon that wouldn't normally appear in the Safari Zone will appear. No reason to totally remove the Safari Zone, just make it more beneficial to have friends. Some people don't register a lot (or any) people so when they come to the Friend Safari they're either given a small selection of are told to go away...

The AI is smart enough to understand the series' type chart, but doesn't know how to make complex predictions or switch out (unless they can't hit your Pokemon at all). It's incredibly predictable and only challenging during the story because of limited options or from blatant cheating.
Aren't the point of gyms so that they can be beaten? Obviously you're going to get a more strategic battle when facing another player, but when you're going through a Gym it's more like a test then a competitive battle to see who's the best. While true my theme probably can't be prepared for on the first time through since I'm not really specializing on a game mechanic, if you lose and face "me" a second time you should be prepared for what "I" have.

The full mark of the Crimson Dragon is a bit too large and complex for a badge.
Badges aren't too hard to make as I made 18 different ones (one for each type) on Keynote (Mac Power Point).
Actually, the Dragon badge I have is called the Wyvern Badge, if you want to join the league I'm planing on making.
Well I know that, I said it would be like the mark of the Crimson Dragon (and the badge is too big you say?).

I know they're not hard to make, I've made up plenty of badges. It's just that I'm lazy at the moment. Also I like to draw my badges so I'd need to scan them onto the computer (I have a scan printer too). :P
Hmm, if I were to become a Gym Leader of a type I'd become a Fire-type Gym Leader, I'm just choosing a Psuedo-Dragon team for my Secret Base Gym since I don't want to just be another type Gym Leader and also want to use Charizard.

Well, there are maps that have the pokemon from the original Safari Zone, so it is returning; that's where we're supposed to catch Pidgeotto, Buneary, Kakuna, and (I believe) Metapod. If the Friend Safari does make return, it will most likely be in a new location; otherwise, if they were going to retcon an old location for the Friend Safari, the only place they would use would be the Altering Cave on Route 110, but that's entirely likely, as it was exclusively in Emerald.
Hmm, true, the Pokemon in the Gen III Safari Zone would have to go somewhere if they replaced it. I think if the Friend Safari was going to be placed anywhere it'll probably be attached to the Battle Resort.

A slow response from me, but looking over the recent trailer it looks like we wouldn't be getting wifi contests after all since it was never mentioned when they were showing off contests or connectivity.

Also the image towards the end (2:30) containing the mega evolution pokemon is similar to the one found in a convention some time ago, showing Flygon and Feebas/Miltotic. However, Zangoose was changed to Makuhita. It is highly unlikely that GF could simply add more mega evolutions between then and now so that's one reason why they wouldn't be getting a mega evolution. There is however one more issue of corocoro to go so we'll have to see what it mentions. Personally I think that we would be getting a few new megas despite the datamine not showing us anything.

Of course none of this is confirmed, I'm only speaking from the new trailer.

WiFi contests...next thing you know we'll have contest tournaments lol. But seriously, with this, I wonder if they will be that competitive? It doesn't have as much diversity as battles (no EVs, no IVs, only one poke, etc.) but it has its fair share of fun to it (I was one of the few who actually played contests for fun in RSE and figured out some good combos/movesets). This is all IF they have random matchup for contests and not just contests with friends (which I hope they do).

WiFi contests...next thing you know we'll have contest tournaments lol. But seriously, with this, I wonder if they will be that competitive? It doesn't have as much diversity as battles (no EVs, no IVs, only one poke, etc.) but it has its fair share of fun to it (I was one of the few who actually played contests for fun in RSE and figured out some good combos/movesets). This is all IF they have random matchup for contests and not just contests with friends (which I hope they do).
Sorry if my post was unclear but I think that the trailer suggests that we will not get wifi contests! Would be fun though, I'd totally play that!

Sorry if my post was unclear but I think that the trailer suggests that we will not get wifi contests! Would be fun though, I'd totally play that!
Dammit! Was looking forward WiFi contests on YouTube lol. On that note, anyone here thinking of writing a contest how-to article for Smogon/The Smog?

Sadly I think we might be stuck with the Friend Safari for a long while. We can only hope that they decide to combine the old Safari Zone and Friend Safari together. Either the Friend Safari will be its own secluded location or if you have a friend certain Pokemon that wouldn't normally appear in the Safari Zone will appear. No reason to totally remove the Safari Zone, just make it more beneficial to have friends. Some people don't register a lot (or any) people so when they come to the Friend Safari they're either given a small selection of are told to go away...
I wouldn't be so sure. The datamining dumps showed pokemon and levels equivalent to those of the pokemon found in RSE's safari zone, and several of the videos we've seen have shown footage of what seems to be the safari zone.

Oh by the way, it looks like the PAL Diancies have 3 perfect IVs. Or at least mine does (not sure why I got given the code early but, well, I was)!

Fuck that thing being the only Gen V Mega. I really hope we're wrong about the demo having everything specifically because of it.
Me personally I see it as a little hint to the future more than anything. Like that's an indicator or a hint that there's a lot more Gen 5 Megas coming, like Mega Blaziken was a hint of the other Hoenn Starters getting Megas.

My Gym will a electric type. Paralyse, confusion, double team spam.

*Evil laugh*

Ejem. But I Love all electric type pokemon... what I should use?

I wonder if we can create a blurb of 140 some-odd characters for our NPC selves to say when others visit our bases?

In the interest of being super personable.

I wonder if we can create a blurb of 140 some-odd characters for our NPC selves to say when others visit our bases?

In the interest of being super personable.
>dat twitter limit
If anything, they'll either let you choose generic sentences like in PSS or a mix of generic words and phrases like in Gen 3/4/5 news reports

At least Mega Audino will be a top tier support in Doubles. What does Mega Banette even do with 165 Attack and Prankster? It's worse than Flareon without Flare Blitz.
Good point. In a random battle I swept half of some guy's team with Mega Banette.

At least Mega Audino will be a top tier support in Doubles. What does Mega Banette even do with 165 Attack and Prankster? It's worse than Flareon without Flare Blitz.
I cannot see Mega Audino being "top-tier".
The last time I checked, there's still Heal Bell and Wide Guard users.
Plus, Heal Pulse is on a few other faster users' movepools.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 14)