Resource ORAS Good Cores

Status
Not open for further replies.
ChompKi Core

The basis of this core is Hazard Stacking and being viable Switch-In's for Offensive Teams. Klefki provides Spike Support as well as Speed Control, while Garchomp provides Punishment to Physical Attackers and Stealth Rocks which is essential for every team. They've got pretty great Synergy as well. Klefki resists all of Garchomp's Weaknesses, while Garchomp in turn beats Fire-types while being a good Switch-In to Ground-types, if Klefki doesn't run Magnet Rise.
Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 248 HP / 168 Def / 76 SpD / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide / Fire Blast
- Dragon Tail
- Stealth Rock

Klefki @ Sitrus Berry / Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Foul Play
- Magnet Rise / Fairy Lock
- Spikes

Heres a fun core ive been using on a bulky offense team lately. Been working really well for me so i decided to post it. Also StarZabRighT and Inferno Moose this IS a good core.

Gardevoir-Mega + Feraligatr Offensive Core

Theres just something about gatr that just makes it such a cool and fun mon to use. As a DD mon hes the only one to get Sheer force and his coverage allows him to beat Quite a few things save the part that he has a bit of 4mss. I decided to Pair him up with a mega gard because of how she struggles to break Things such as sp.def Skarm, Talon and jirachi which thanks to gatr having Crunch+priority aqua jet and a very powerful stab waterfall hes capable of pretty much breaking everything that walls Gardivoir. In return gard can soften up things thanks to a very powerful hyper voice which allows gatr to get those kills much quicker. Taunt helps with breaking stall also which is nice. Garde also beats mega sableye,quagsire etc for gatr which is really cool. As for good teamates for this core nasty plot Hp flying thundurus-I makes for a great partner as this core struggles to break mega venu while beating bulky water types for gatr. Rocky garchomp also makes for a great partner as it annoys talonflame which can revenge kill the core if gatr is missing aqua jet, of course a more offensive set can also be run to weaken things like clef for gatr. Scarf heatran is another great partner as he can take care of mega scizor,ferrothorn and other fire weak pokemon. Finally pokemon with u-turn and volt switch work well with this core as they can get mega gardevoir in safe.

Feraligatr @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Dragon Dance
- Ice Punch / Aqua Jet
- Crunch

Gardevoir-Mega @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 24 Def / 232 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Taunt
- Focus Blast

Last edited:
And I'm back, after like a 2 week break, so here's a somewhat unoriginal core that I wanted to post

M METAGROSS + KELDEO + THUNDURUS (Offense)

METAGROSS:
Metagross is the standard Pursuit Mega Metagross set, using Iron Head/Meteor Mash, Zen Headbutt, Hammer Arm, and Pursuit. MegaGross can trap the Lati twins for Keldeo, which it already doesn't like to deal with, but the SubCM variant, which is used here, absolutely despises them. It takes full advantage of Keldeo and Thundurus forcing switches, even more so with Thundurus running Thunder Wave, forcing your opponent to move around a lot to keep up with you, which Pursuit Metagross absolutely adores. Beware of bulky steels and grass types, who typically wall you and make you ineffective at your job as a cleaner/sweeper

KELDEO:
SubCM Keldeo is rather self explanatory, and it pairs up very well with Mega Metagross, providing great type synergy, coverage, and checks to many of MMeta's threats, like Dark types, Steel types, etc. like Scizor(Mega), Jirachi lacking Psychic coverage, etc. It can handle Thundurus' checks well like Ground types, Chansey, and bulky pokemon in general that give Mixed Thundurus trouble.

THUNDURUS:
I chose Mixed Thundurus with Thunderbolt, HP Flying, Knock Off, and Thunder Wave. This makes it have great coverage, handling bulky grass and water types that this core hates without HP Flying, handles Latios with HP Fire, and other mons that annoy this core. It also, as mentioned, spreads paralysis which Pursuit MGross and SubCM Keldeo loves, taking advantage of trapping and setting up, respectively.

RECOMMENDED TEAMMATES:
This entire core hates status. Metagross with being burned and paralysed, Keldeo with Toxic, Burns, AND Paralysis, and Thundurus hates Burn damage, so a cleric like Clefable would be greatly appreciated. Clefable also provides Stealth Rock potentially, Fairy coverage, and a nice bulky switch in to multiple threats. Something to handle Mega Manectric would also be highly appreciated, as this entire core struggles severely with it, so something like SpDef Heatran would be great, as it can then proceed to set up Stealth Rocks, burn something, toxic something, or just gain momentum in general.

OTHER OPTIONS:
Manaphy can work just as well on this core over Keldeo with it's Tail Glow 3 Attacks set, so take Manaphy into consideration on here as well.

Metagross @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head / Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Hammer Arm
- Pursuit

Keldeo @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Substitute
- Calm Mind

Thundurus (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 68 Atk / 188 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Flying]
- Knock Off
- Thunder Wave

Last edited:

TPP

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Head TD
Here's a fun offensive core to try out.

Grass Knot Thundy + Zard X

+

Thundy is the perfect partner for Zard X, as it's literally able to get rid of everything that checks it (Hippowdon, Mega Slowbro, Quagsire). This core aims to eliminate Zard X's checks in order for it to sweep. Thunder Wave on Thundy also helps as it's able to cripple something, allowing Zard X to have an easier time setting up. Thundy gets checked by Raikou, and Zard X is able to wall Raikou, and it's able to abuse it as setup fodder.

Good Partners: This core requires a hazard remover (Starmie, Latios and Latias are good ones since they also counter Keldeo and become a burn absorber (Reflect Type Starmie)), and a ground type such as Diggersby or Dugtrio can be really helpful, since mons like Heatran can still be a bit difficult to KO immediately. Weavile can also be a handy ally, since it's able to open up HP Ice on Thundurus for another move such as Focus Blast or Nasty Plot. Some mons that are still difficult to KO are Mega Venusaur and Chansey, as either one can some in, forces Thundy out, and Zard X fails to 1HKO them while taking massive recoil damage itself. For those reasons, Torn-T also works as a good partner as Knock Off + Hurricane can cripple Chansey and defeat Mega Venusaur. Unaware Clefable is also difficult to deal with as neither one can 1HKO, and it can paralyze Zard X, thus crippling it, and it can set up Calm Minds preventing Thundurus from killing it. So something to handle that would also help out the core.

Thundurus @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunderbolt
- Grass Knot

Charizard-Mega-X (M) @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 84 HP / 172 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Dragon Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Roost

Last edited:
Hey-o.

Nice to see the new cores thread. Anyways, my primary concerns are the credibility of posters coming onto here (which was solved by the suggestion of adding replays with cores, gj) and an update on the cores we have. The cores here a honestly a lot, and while I don't mean to discredit them or anything, I kinda fear that since the meta adapts around stuff quite fast these few months, some cores enlisted here might be outdated. We don't want that since this is also a thread that aims to help out the newer and experienced players alike. I can't think of good solutions as to which right now but if the cores here still stand the test of time, I guess we don't need to expound on this any further. Anyways, looking forward to the new stuff around.

btw sorry if i don't have a core for you guys. i'll try sometime soon.

Offensive Core: Mega Heracross + Thundurus

+

Heracross @ Heracronite
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Pin Missile
- Rock Blast
- Substitute

Thundurus @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Grass Knot

Mega Heracross is a premier wallbreaker in OU. However, Mega Heracross' 4x weakness to Flying moves is very troublesome, especially with Talonflames everywhere. This is where Thundurus comes in. Prankster Thunder Wave allows Thundurus to give some speed control, which is key for Mega Heracross to do some damage. The remaining moves allow Thundurus to counter (almost) all of threats towards Mega Heracross such as Birdspam pokes, Lando-T, Garchomp, Gliscor, Hippowdon, and all the Grass/Ground types.

These two Pokemon don't cover each others weaknesses defensively very well so try adding a Pokemon like Heatran to sure things up. Heatran covers all the weaknesses to this core minus Rock and Water. Cleric support is also appreciated as Mega Heracross hates burns and Thundurus can be worn down quickly with Life Orb.

Heres a fun core ive been using on a bulky offense team lately. Been working really well for me so i decided to post it. Also StarZabRighT and Inferno Moose this IS a good core.

Gardevoir-Mega + Feraligatr Offensive Core

Theres just something about gatr that just makes it such a cool and fun mon to use. As a DD mon hes the only one to get Sheer force and his coverage allows him to beat Quite a few things save the part that he has a bit of 4mss. I decided to Pair him up with a mega gard because of how she struggles to break Things such as sp.def Skarm, Talon and jirachi which thanks to gatr having Crunch+priority aqua jet and a very powerful stab waterfall hes capable of pretty much breaking everything that walls Gardivoir. In return gard can soften up things thanks to a very powerful hyper voice which allows gatr to get those kills much quicker. Taunt helps with breaking stall also which is nice. Garde also beats mega sableye,quagsire etc for gatr which is really cool. As for good teamates for this core nasty plot Hp flying thundurus-I makes for a great partner as this core struggles to break mega venu while beating bulky water types for gatr. Rocky garchomp also makes for a great partner as it annoys talonflame which can revenge kill the core if gatr is missing aqua jet, of course a more offensive set can also be run to weaken things like clef for gatr. Scarf heatran is another great partner as he can take care of mega scizor,ferrothorn and other fire weak pokemon. Finally pokemon with u-turn and volt switch work well with this core as they can get mega gardevoir in safe.

Feraligatr @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Dragon Dance
- Ice Punch / Aqua Jet
- Crunch

Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 24 Def / 232 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Taunt
- Focus Blast
Nice core man. Iirc it was chosen as a core for the OU Workshop of sorts. I wanna say that first, you gotta change this to normal Gardevoir with Trace, as the ability can be real clutch when you need it. Also, for Gatr's set, I'd say we can slash Superpower somewhere there. Focus Blast isn't going to hit much, and Aqua Jet is pretty much useful for Talonflame and other prio; it's gonna miss out on coverage. Otherwise, nice one and great job.

my first core so dont bite

Offensive Core: Mega Gardevoir + Thundurus + Terrakion

Mega Gardevoir is a great wallbreaker and stallbreaker in the Overused tier. Its base 165 special attack, combined with a decent supportive and offensive movepool, and Pixilate, makes it very threatening to slower playstyles. However, it struggles with faster Pokemon such as Mega Lopunny and Mega Pinsir, while being checked by many exceptionally bulky Pokemon, such as SpDef Skarmory, Jirachi, Mew, and Mega Metagross. Because of this, Nasty Plot + Thunder Wave Thundurus makes for a great partner. Nasty Plot allows it to break through bulky Pokemon, like Jirachi and Mega Scizor, which are otherwise threatening. Prankster Thunder Wave also benefits Gardevoir by slowing down those fast offensive threats that trouble it so much. Thundurus benefits from Gardevoir's massive wallbreaking potential and Gardevoir's ability to check Raikou, Mega Manectric, Mega Venusaur and Amoonguss, Chansey, and Excadrill (Timid Gardevoir pre-evo traces Sand rush from adamant excadrill and FB is almost guaranteed to OHKO). Now the core struggles with stuff like ferrothorn ( eats a FB from full and OHKOes with gyro ball), magnezone ( scarf is VERY threatening as flash cannon does a lot to Gardevoir and is immune to twave and thundurus doesnt have focus blast on this set), bulky victini( eats a +2 thunderbolt and v-create deals heavy damage if not OHKOes), the rare rotom-heat, and chansey to an extent (cm and taunt deal with it tho), among others, are annoying to these two. So, I chose Terrakion to be the final member of the core. It easily deals with the pokemon that wall/ check Thundurus and Gardevoir while pressuring other Pokemon, like Mega Venusaur and Amoonguss, which Gardevoir can't always cant weal with due to its weakness to Poison.

Terrakion:
NP Thundurus breaks up scizor, jirachi, bulky waters, and bulky grounds, twave for scarfers like heatran and fast stuff like mlop,
Gardevoir: breaks stall easily, smashes clefable, sableye, etc.

Thundurus:
Terrakion: ferrothorn and heatran dies
Gardevoir: again, breaks stall

Gardevoir:
Thundurus: twave, breaks scizor, jirachi, klefki, etc.
Terrakion: reliably beats heatran, ferrothorn

Threats to core: SAND, talonflame, bisharp ( no switchins), weavile
Recommended teammates: Defensive Landorus-therian, Bisharp, Bulky Talonflame, TankChomp, azumarill, heatran
Ability: Trace
EVs: 16 HP / 8 Def / 232 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psyshock
- Hyper Voice
- Substitute
- Focus Blast

Thundurus @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Nasty Plot
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Terrakion @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Taunt

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Offensive core : Sub CM Raikou + Talonflame

Raikou @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 112 HP / 144 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Taunt / Will-O-Wisp

Really cool offensive core I've been using recently and which has worked really well for me so far (though to be fair I haven't had time to get out of low ladder yet so most battles I've had so far have had Sub CM Raikou literally 6-0 lol).

The basic idea of this is that Raikou easily sets up on Electric-types and checks certain Water-types that threaten Talonflame, and in exchange Talonflame checks Fairy- and Grass- types which can cause problems for Raikou. Talonflame also acts as a way to severely weaken Hippowdon and Scarf Landorus-T, as well as revenge kill powerful physical attackers which can easily force Raikou out.

Talonflame's set may seem a bit wierd but there's a specific reason for it : SD lets me leave Hippowdon severaly weakened as it KOs Talonflame with Stone Edge, and Taunt enables the core to beat Unaware CM Clefable which, while uncommon, easily dismatles it otherwise. Also has other neat attributes like preventing phazing (especially in Heatran's case, since it has the bulk to take a hit or two from Raikou and Roar it out) and putting pressure on Quagsire, another huge threat to the core. Will-O-Wisp is also a pretty good option for crippling TTar and Excadrill both of which are huge threats to the core.

Since Talonflame isn't running Flare Blitz, it really doesn't need speed outside of not being revenged by Weavile and typing with opposing Talonflame, so not only can it afford to run HP investement to switch into stuff like Altaria and Venusaur more easily, it also means it can run Adamant which, paried with a Sharp Beak, hits Hippowdon as hard as possible, leaving the standard spread at less than 40%, and if you're lucky, can put it at HP Ice range from Raikou. It's also guaranteed to OHKO Scarf Landorus-T at +1.

A Band set can still work pretty well too though, and also does a good job at weaening Raikou checks, however it doesn't do so well agaist more physically defensive Hippowdon variants, needs much more reliable hazard removal and loses the ability to reliably switch into certain things.

By the way, Raikou is running some bulk here in order to set up more reliably, specifically, it prevents SpD Heatran from breaking its Sub with Lava Plume 100% of the time after one Calm Mind, and the extra bulk is really appreciated when it comes to setting Subs up in general. That's more of a personal preference thing though, just running max/max offenses is definitely a very good option too, especially if you're concerned about not being able to finish off weakened Hippowdons or OHKO Garchomp after a boost.

Besides the obvious hazard removal, this core needs a good answer to Sand Rush Excadrill which utterly destroys it, as well as a way of handling powerful physical attackers in general. Hippowdon itself is a pretty good partner for those reasons, as are Garchomp and Landorus-T, just make sure you also pack a check to Weavile, and in the latter case, Bisharp (if running Taunt>WoW on Talonflame)

How is THIS core not posted yet?

M-Scizor + Keldeo

This core is very simple, yet VERY effective. Mega Scizor and Keldeo handle each other's checks beautifully, and provides strong offensive pressure from both sides. Mega Scizor can set up and deal hefty damage, if not outright OHKOing Fairies, Grasses, and Psychics, like non Unaware Clefable, Mega Gardevoir, Celebi, Slowbro, Lati@s, Alakazam and Serperior lacking HP Fire, etc. Things that Keldeo generally has trouble with. In return, Keldeo can handle Fire types and a lot of things that generally wall or just annoy Mega Scizor, such as Heatran, Volcarona, Magnezone (Non scarfed variants), Landorus-T, Hippowdon, Garchomp, Skarmory, and others. This core does have a huge weakness to Talonflame, and to a lesser extent, Gyarados, and flying types in general, so I recommend using something like Thundurus or Raikou that can handle flying types.
BURRITOS N PUNCH (Scizor) @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance

>>>/mlp/ (Keldeo) @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Secret Sword

Balanced core:

Hippowdon + Tornadus-therian

Probably the most synergic core for both Hippowdon and Tornadus-therian. Not said only by me, but also by the usages. I’m a bit surprised no one posted this core. Well, months ago Celticpride posted this core but with Mega Slowbro, but i feel Mega Slowbro is not necessary for this core as there are plenty of other mons which can take Mega Slowbro’s place and because of the mega slot (These cores will have always this two mons in common). They work really well as backbones in bulky offense teams covering a lot of threats, but also on semistalls and balanced they can work well as support. Hippowdon covers Non-Grass knot Thundurus, Sand rush and Scarf excadrill, Zapdos, Jirachi, Mega Manectric, Mega Charizard-X, Landorus-t, Talonflame, Mega Diancie, Mega Lopunny, Bisharp, Raikou, Heatran and more. While Tornadus-Therian covers Mega Venusaur, Serperior, Keldeo, Gengar, Defensive starmie, Mega sceptile (lol) and checks mega metagross (if it does have heat wave), Ferrothorn and sometimes Hoopa-u (not scarf) and offensive starmie. A third partner for this core is essential. This core is very weak to Ice types like Weavile, Kyurem-B and Mamoswine, or to general ice attacks and to Statuses. It is also destroyed by instant-threats like Mega Altaria and CM Clefable if Hippo is lacking Whirlwind, so make sure you have someone who can deal with these threats if you’re using Stone edge Hippowdon. Both Magic Guard or Unaware Clefable are probably two of the best partners, which also keeps away Mega Sableye and BD Azu (Unaware only, this last). Remember to find also an answer to Charizard-y and possibly to Manaphy. You can use Hidden power rock on Tornadus-therian for Char-y if you don’t like to damage the team’s synergy switching teammates (this happens sometimes).

Replay: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-ou-63078

In this replay, my friend's team uses Tornadus-t as the only switch and counter to mega venusaur, which theorically supports manaphy to sweep (not done in this replay). As it's very difficult to find replays which shows the other threats covered or more than one threat covered and a succesful sweep with (insert here pokemon that is checked by Tornadus-t or hippowdon) in one replays, i'd like to go on with this. I find them, i will add them.

Sets:
Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream / Sand force
EVs: 252 HP / 140 Def / 116 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Stone Edge / Whirlwind

Tornadus-Therian (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 96 HP / 160 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave / Focus Blast

Edit: Added sets

Last edited:
Offensive Core: Mega Charizard X + Manaphy

Got a simple offensive core for everyone. Mega Charizard X, with its great power and STABS, paves the way for Tail Glow Manaphy to sweep by defeating solid checks to Manaphy, such as Raikou, Mega Venusaur, and Kyurem-Black. In return, Manaphy crushes bulky Pokemon that give Mega Charizard X trouble, like Quagsire, Hippowdon, Slowbro, Mega Altaria, Heatran, and Azumarill, with Energy Ball and Ice Beam. Stuff that troubles this core are the Latis and Mega Sceptile, but they can't switch into either at all. Latias is a good partner as it provides Defog and Healing Wish support. Clefable is also nice as it checks annoying Dragons, spreads Thunder Waves, and can provide cleric and Stealth Rock support.

Charizard-Mega-X @ Charizardite X
Ability: Tough Claws
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Roost
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Claw

or

Charizard-Mega-X @ Charizardite X
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 104 HP / 220 Atk / 184 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Roost
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Claw

Manaphy @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
Timid Nature
- Tail Glow
- Scald
- Energy Ball
- Ice Beam

First time posting a core :)

+
+

Now before you walk away because there is a Roserade in front of you, just hear me out.

What type does the magnificent pair of Keld + T-tar hate? Fairies
What pokemon can switch into fairies, pick them off, and not waste a mega slot at the same time?
ROSERADE. Tell me, do you prepare for roserade when making a team? Think that Ferrothorn will save you? Well you thought wrong, as any unprepared team just has no switchins to this monster, and even if they do, you should have a partner on your team to help out with that, making the pressure on your opponent skyrocket to the point that they just might forfeit. Roserade also lures in mons like latis and heatran, which the other two just own.

+

These two need little to no explanation, as they are an infamous pair already. They help each other out and can deal massive damage just by their lonesome. keldeo is our main switchin to heatran, as heatran cant really touch keldeo, while you can just set up on their face (if the SubCM variant, ofc). Choice scarf T-Tar is amazing with these two, as The latis' just love messing with keldeo and roserade. Tyranitar can switchin for the most part, and proceed to pursuit trap them, giving more room for the former two to do their job and leave your opponent crying after. As said before, these two hate fairies, and roserade can switch into them no problem and proceed to giga drain or sludge bomb. Onto replays.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-277886528 - In this battle, roserade manages to lure Tran, which keldeo easily switches in and proceeds to sweep.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-276841626 -standard battle
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-275820552 -another demonstration of how roserade helps out keldeo set up.

Roserade @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Toxic Spikes/Dazzling Gleam/Leaf Storm/Extrasensory
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Keldeo @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Scald
- Calm Mind
- Secret Sword

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sand Stream
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Superpower/Earthquake
- Crunch

EDIT: Threats List

M-Alakazam-Ohko's entire core :( although should be taken care of through partners.

Toxicroak -Yea, even though it's not popular, it will decimate this core to shreds with its stabs

M-Lopunny- Although you should definately have something for it, as any good team should prepare for one, it is a problem for these 3 in particular.

Last edited:

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion

+
+

Now before you walk away because there is a Roserade in front of you, just hear me out.

What pokemon can switch into fairies, pick them off, and not waste a mega slot at the same time?
ROSERADE. Tell me, do you prepare for roserade when making a team? Think that Ferrothorn will save you? Well you thought wrong, as any unprepared team just has no switchins to this monster, and even if they do, you should have a partner on your team to help out with that, making the pressure on your opponent skyrocket to the point that they just might forfeit. Roserade also lures in mons like latis and heatran, which the other two just own.

+

These two need little to no explanation, as they are an infamous pair already. They help each other out and can deal massive damage just by their lonesome. keldeo is our main switchin to heatran, as heatran cant really touch keldeo, while you can just set up on their face (if the SubCM variant, ofc). Choice scarf T-Tar is amazing with these two, as The latis' just love messing with keldeo and roserade. Tyranitar can switchin for the most part, and proceed to pursuit trap them, giving more room for the former two to do their job and leave your opponent crying after. As said before, these two hate fairies, and roserade can switch into them no problem and proceed to giga drain or sludge bomb. Onto replays.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-277886528 - In this battle, roserade manages to lure Tran, which keldeo easily switches in and proceeds to sweep.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-275820552 -another demonstration of how roserade helps out keldeo set up.

Roserade @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 30 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Toxic Spikes
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Keldeo @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Scald
- Calm Mind
- Secret Sword

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Superpower
- Crunch
Roserades ok though but you can just go 0 atk IVs on Roserade and Keld.

+
+

+

Roserade @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Keldeo @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Scald
- Calm Mind
- Secret Sword

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Superpower
- Crunch

M-Alakazam-Ohko's entire core :( although should be taken care of through partners.

Toxicroak -Yea, even though it's not popular, it will decimate this core to shreds with its stabs
Really good for a first time team. Also, as AM said, welcome to Smogon ^-^

Anywho, time for a new core of mine.

SpDef Jirachi / Keldeo
Oh my God, these two have synergy like you would not BELIEVE. They handle just about EVERYTHING that the other can't beautifully. Specially Defensive Jirachi tanks any and every Special Attack that isn't Super Effective, and even some that are if they aren't STAB boosted, and it pivots into everything that Keldeo can't handle, such as Mega Altaria, Azu not packing Knock Off, Scarf Magnezone, Mega Manectric (Overheat doesn't even 2HKO after the drop, which is god damn insane), Raikou, the Latis, and Torn T. It also lures in fat Steel types like Scizor, Magnezone, and Metagross. Jirachi can use this in it's favor and run FIRE PUNCH. Yes, I said it. Fire Punch on SpDef Rachi. Listen to me: Scarf Magnezone only 3HKOs you with TBolt, and HP Fire does absolutely pitiful damage, so you can Wish off the damage you take, and 2HKO the Magnezone with Fire Punch. You also put Scizor in a very uncomfortable spot, as he wants to use you for either set up fodder, or Knock Off you. If he chooses the former (And assuming he's the bulky variant), he's 2HKOed after rocks, and even if there are no rocks, he has to risk getting burned and taking a good deal of damage. Metagross can't do much at all to you aside from EQ, which does about half, but you can always just Wish stall him and try to nail him with a Burn, but no, Rachi doesn't beat MGross 1v1, so you'll want a good check to it regardless. Keldeo is just Keldeo. Specs Keld is insanely powerful, and hits everything that doesn't resist his Hydro Pump for insane damage, and covers pokemon that Jirachi cannot, such as Heatran, Fire types in general, Ground types, and even Gyarados, if running HP Elec. However, if you aren't running HP Elec, this core is hopelessly weak to Bulky Waters, and status is almost always an issue. So I recommend something like Thundurus, Raikou, Clefable, etc. do help alleviate those issues.

+
+

+

Roserade @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Keldeo @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Scald
- Calm Mind
- Secret Sword

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Superpower
- Crunch

M-Lopunny- Although you should definately have something for it, as any good team should prepare for one, it is a problem for these 3 in particular.
You should probably add a / by toxic spikes for something along the lines of dazzling gleam or leaf storm. Leaf storm will help against mega bros at plus 1 while also doing massive damage against any tanky motherfucker on the field like a plus 1 mega sab, and dazzling gleam allows you to do a solid amount against dragons, fighting, and dark types.

download (2).jpg +th (7).jpg+ th (10).jpg

Hi guys,
Mvenusaur / Defensive Landorus-T / CBtyranitar is my favourite core.

Venusaur-Mega @ Venusaurite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 232 HP / 252 SpA / 24 Spe
Modest Nature
- Synthesis
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Sludge Bomb

Standard offensive set.

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Earthquake

Standard defensive set.

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Crunch / Ice Beam

Standard CB set, IB for Dragonite an Salamence, but Stone Edge hits it hard too, Crunch for secondary STAB who hits neutrally many pokemon.

They have a fantastic synergy;
Venusaur can check all Tyranitar counters and Tyranitar also.
Venusaur defeats Keldeo and fairy, and Tyranitar Pursuitrap Latwins and defeats Talonflame for Venusaur.
The only problems are check ground pokemon for Tyranitar, like Excadrill, and here Landorus-T!
He can safely enter on other Landorus T, Excadrill etc, and thanks he's ability force the switch.
(The only real problem is the uncommon Mamoswine)
Thanks to his low speed he gives a good momentum with U-Turn.
If you have some suggestions or comments, I'm happy to listen they.

Sorry for my english, it isn't my first language.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
A lot of the cores in the op are pretty old and outdated. Might want to consider removing some of them if not almost all of them from the old thread :/

Just want to say that the Lando-T and Tyranitar sets actually aren't standard. Defensive Lando-T runs Defensive Investment not Attack and CB TTar is more complex as well. Sets below.

If you want a more offensive Landorus-T that can still set Rocks, Offensive Earth Plate is actually pretty cool too. Set also below. Just a general rule of thumb. If you're using Choice Band or Specs it's nearly always best to use completely Physical or Special moves respectively. Welcome to Smogon.
Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 8 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- U-Turn
- Knock Off / Stone Edge

~OR~

Landorus-Therian @ Earth Plate
EVs: 72 HP / 252 Atk / 184 Spe
Adamant / Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- U-Turn / Explosion
- Knock Off / Stone Edge

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
EVs: 100 HP / 252 Atk / 156 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Superpower / Earthquake
- Pursuit
Sorry I was busy and I use the EVs calculator of pokemon showdown. You think that is better offensive or defensive Lando? About IB you're right is only an option, I'm playing it with Crunch

You should probably add a / by toxic spikes for something along the lines of dazzling gleam or leaf storm. Leaf storm will help against mega bros at plus 1 while also doing massive damage against any tanky motherfucker on the field like a plus 1 mega sab, and dazzling gleam allows you to do a solid amount against dragons, fighting, and dark types.
Yep, will add, thanks :).

TPP

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Head TD
So as AM mentioned earlier, most of the cores are outdated and for that reason, I have cleared the list of cores, and placed them under the "Old Cores" at the bottom. This way they aren't completely forgotten, and they'll still be accessible. I kept some of the more recent good cores and those along with the newer ones will be placed in the Offensive, Balanced, Defensive or Weather Cores like usual.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Offensive core: Wobbuffet+Bisharp+Weavile
Wobbuffet @ Custap Berry
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 52 HP / 232 Def / 224 SpD
Bold Nature
- Counter
- Mirror Coat
- Encore
- Destiny Bond

Bisharp @ Life Orb / Lum Berry
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Jolly / Hasty Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance / Grass Knot

Weavile @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure / Pickpocket
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Knock Off
- Pursuit / Low Kick / Poison Jab
Darkspam is really good ATM, and this core is the centre of the whole build. With Wobbuffet being able to consistently eliminate threats to this core - such as Keldeo, Terrakion, Lopunny and non-stallbreaker Talonflame - Weavile and Bisharp can proceed to wreak havoc on the tier. Your choice of 4th move on Bisharp depends on the team's matchup v.s. Quagsire (Grass Knot deals hella damage to that thing: 4 SpA Life Orb Bisharp Grass Knot (80 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Quagsire: 286-338 (72.5 - 85.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery), and your choice of fourth move on Weavile depends on the team's matchup v.s. Clefable, Tyranitar, Heatran etc. (Pursuit is best if you can beat them as it allows for you to take out roost/defog-encored Latios etc. consistently while also stopping Gengar from ruining your day while allowing you to minimise the collateral damage that Gothitelle has).

Last edited:
Offensive core: Wobbuffet+Bisharp+Weavile

Wobbuffet @ Custap Berry
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 52 HP / 232 Def / 224 SpD
Bold Nature
- Counter
- Mirror Coat
- Encore
- Destiny Bond

Bisharp @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Jolly / Hasty Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance / Grass Knot

Weavile @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure / Pickpocket
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Knock Off
- Pursuit / Low Kick / Poison Jab

Darkspam is really good ATM, and this core is the centre of the whole build. With Wobbuffet being able to consistently eliminate threats to this core - such as Keldeo, Terrakion, Lopunny and non-stallbreaker Talonflame - Weavile and Bisharp can proceed to wreak havoc on the tier. Your choice of 4th move on Bisharp depends on the team's matchup v.s. Quagsire (Grass Knot deals hella damage to that thing: 4 SpA Life Orb Bisharp Grass Knot (80 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Quagsire: 286-338 (72.5 - 85.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery), and your choice of fourth move on Weavile depends on the team's matchup v.s. Clefable, Tyranitar, Heatran etc. (Pursuit is best if you can beat them as it allows for you to take out roost/defog-encored Latios etc. consistently while also stopping Gengar from ruining your day while allowing you to minimise the collateral damage that Gothitelle has).
This man right here. Dark spam is a fking crazy good strat and what i like here is instead of just weakening each others checks you have Wobb to trap them. I see this being a really powerful core for offensive teams Wobb being able to get rid of threats like Mlop and GK bish luring Quag for something like Charx. Nice work :]

Seeing the Wallbreakers thread by Alba, here's some wallbreaker cores (damn I love wallbreakers so much). Pardon me if I posted a previously posted core.

Mega Medicham + Manaphy
+

Similar to the old Mega Gallade + Manaphy core in the early ORAS days, these two aim to just break stuff for your team. As we all know, Medicham just comes in and breaks stuff with its raw power and slight coverage options. Alas, it has some problems with select Pokemon like bulky Psychic-types, Mega Sableye, TankChomp and apparently, status. Enter TRDG Mana! It's quite an underrated set that aims to help Medicham with status problems by Hydration + RD, breaks MORE stuff, etc. They may not share much defensive synergy together, but these two can be relied upon for your wallbreaking needs. Good partners include fast Pokemon like Talonflame and Thundurus. Thundy also helps this core by checking Talonflame and spreading TWave to give the core some Speed control. Pursuit support by 'mons like Bisharp help with the Latis and other Psychic-types that can trouble this core. Depending on Mana's set, you can be walled by things like Mega Slowbro (if lacking EBall), so appropriate partners like Serperior can be added to your liking.

Medicham @ Medichamite
Ability: Pure Power
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Zen Headbutt
- Fake Out
- Bullet Punch / Ice Punch / ThunderPunch

Manaphy @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 96 HP / 252 SpA / 160 Spe
Timid Nature
- Tail Glow
- Rain Dance
- Scald
- Energy Ball / other coverage / Rest

Mega Heracross + Weather (Rain or Sand)
+ (
offense) or (
offense)

A chat in the OU inspired me to summarize the talk into a core. Mega Heracross is our ridiculously powerful wallbreaker, capable of weakening Pokemon like Slowbro and Landorus-T for the team. The part where things get interesting is you can choose your own playstyle with either Rain or Sand. Both have their merits, with examples being: Heracross can break Ferrothorn for Rain and can weaken bulky Ground-types for Sand. This is also a good thing for Heracross because its lackluster Speed can be salvaged with partners like Sand Rush Excadrill and Swift Swim Kabutops. Good partners will depend on which route you're going to go, so here's a few suggestions: Tornadus-T will love the Rain supported-Hurricanes and Hera's ability to break its common checks and Serperior can help Hera clean fat Waters and Grounds that can trouble sand teams. Take what you want 'cause this is quite a flexible one.

Heracross @ Heracronite
Ability: Moxie
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Pin Missile
- Rock Blast
- Swords Dance

Rain:
Politoed @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 248 HP / 164 SpD / 96 Spe
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- Encore
- Rest

Kabutops @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance / Rapid Spin
- Aqua Jet / Low Kick

Sand:
Tyranitar @ Smooth Rock
EVs: 248 HP / 80 Def / 180 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Ice Beam

Excadrill @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
Jolly / Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Swords Dance / Rapid Spin

Hoopa-U + Mega Manectric + Landorus-T or Scizor (or pmuch any decent enough U-Turn 'mon)
+
+
or

I only added Scizor and an option over Landog because it can hit Fairies, which both Hoopa-U and MMan can hate.
Here we feature LO Hoopa-U. As we all know, Hoopa-U just... breaks stuff. In spite of that, it fares badly against offense, so something to annoy it like MMan would be very nice. MMan offers valuable Volt Switch and Initimidate support, thus making Hoopa-U's job easier. It can also check Skarmory, Scizor and Klefki for the big guy, too. For the U-Turn part of this core, it's quite malleable, so to say. Landorus-T offers SR support, Intimidate to further weaken physical attackers and a nice immunity to Ground-type attacks that both Hoopa-U and MMan can hate. Scizor, on the other hand, scares Fairies, checks 'mons like Weavile, and Pursuit traps Psychic-types (though since Hoopa's here, Knock Off can be used to cripple 'mons like Tran). Again, you can take as you please. Other U-turn mons can be ones like Tornadus-T so have at it. Rapid Spin or Defog is appreciated, so Pokemon like Starmie can be good partners. Other Pokemon loving free switches will also fit here. Some other faster 'mons like Serperior or Tornadus-T can help Hoopa-U with its Speed problem. Hoopa runs enough Attack to OHKO most variants of Clefable with Gunk Shot after SR.

Hoopa-Unbound @ Life Orb
Ability: Magician
EVs: 160 Atk / 96 SpA / 252 Spe
IVs: 29 HP
Hasty Nature
- Dark Pulse / Hyperspace Fury
- Psychic
- Drain Punch / Focus Blast
- Gunk Shot / misc. coverage like Fire Punch

Manectric @ Manectite
Ability: Lightningrod
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Overheat / Flamethrower
- Hidden Power Ice

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 8 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock

Scizor @ Choice Band
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Atk
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-Turn
- Superpower
- Pursuit / Knock Off

I only had a brain fart so that's what I had in mind. Sorry I can't provide replays since I suck at battling a little. Hope you have fun with these cores.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)