Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers MKII (Read the OP First!) (Now with 100% more Rules!!!)

Why are landorus therian and garchomp OU? To me they have huge targets on them (one shot me with an ice move) and you never know which pokemon on their team has that one ice move no matter how rare that will one shot you easily, constantly living in fear of that ice move that will one shot and lose you the game, keldeo with icy wind, jolteon with hidden power ice, Victini with glaciate the fear is always there lol.

Ice in general seems really overpowered if i have 3 punches (fire, ice and thunder) and i predict you will switch out i will go with ice every time why? strongest status in the game, one freeze and the game is won very often, the variety of pokemon that ice either one shots (4x weakness, dragonite, gliscor, altariai) the popularity of dragons and the diversity of pokemon that are weak to ice all flying, dragon, ground and grass the types mentioned are some of the most common types in the game, ice is often the best move to use as a neutral hit aswell in hopes of that freeze. Am i wrong in thinking ice is just the best coverage move going?.

My last observation is that physical attackers are at a huge disadvantage in general so why would you bother even using them? for example Iron barbs, rough skin, rocky helmet, Burn, Intimidate, Spiky shield. All things only applying to physical attackers there is no such equivalent for special unless i'm mistaken so really what's the point in physical attackers?
1) because they're used enough in OU to be in OU. In other words you'll see atleast 1 in 20 battles in OU which is a 3.41% but both are higher then that

2) ice is the best offensive typing indeed but you shouldn't rely on getting a freeze but if you get one yeah your odds at winning are suddenly way higher (depending which mon gets frozen ofc)

3) if you won't use any physical attacker, doesn't any random special wall win against you then? That's exactly why you run physical pokemon (plus beside prankster nature power and vacuum wave all priority is physical)

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Um yeah physical attackers are not at a disadvantage. All those things you mentioned going against them are minor compared to the power they bring to the table. Swords Dance and Dragon Dance have better distribution than moves like Nasty Plot and Quiver Dance. In general it can also be easier to overwhelm stall archetypes with physical attackers than special attackers because of Chansey, plus Assault Vest is a thing that can check special attackers and not physical ones.

Physical attackers are definitely incredibly prevalent and Landorus-T and Garchomp enjoy that. But more than that, especially in Lando-T's case, it's typing is just superb. Weakness to Ice and Water really isn't that bad when that's the only list of weaknesses, with 2 immunities and a nice resistance to fighting as well. Most things with Ice-type coverage are special attackers anyway so they can switch out.

Lastly both get tons of chances to set up Stealth Rock which is the only move that is required on every single team

Just a random question, why are blaze blaziken and torrent greninja banned in OU. Greninja I can sort of understand but blaziken doesn't seem to be too op for OU, why is this?

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Just a random question, why are blaze blaziken and torrent greninja banned in OU. Greninja I can sort of understand but blaziken doesn't seem to be too op for OU, why is this?
smogon tries to avoid complex bans, and blaze blaziken would be directly outclassed by infernape while torrent greninja would be too weak aside from its stabs to do much to mons that resist it, although it might be like a C rank threat. But they dont contribute enough to the meta to warrant keeping them.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Complex bans like this are avoided since they can apply to so much more other Pokemon than these two for the tiers below, and that would be way too much bans to keep track of.

n.n rattata

Banned deucer.
Could offensive Infernape fill the role of a breaker on balance teams? Nape does good w/ offensive teams, but how does it do when it's on balance teams?

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Could offensive Infernape fill the role of a breaker on balance teams? Nape does good w/ offensive teams, but how does it do when it's on balance teams?
It can be a wallbreaker somewhat with all of its great coverage moves and you could also run like banded nape with stabs u turn gunk shot to bust some walls and common defensive cores like skarmchans in half, but there are probably better options.

n.n rattata

Banned deucer.
It can be a wallbreaker somewhat with all of its great coverage moves and you could also run like banded nape with stabs u turn gunk shot to bust some walls and common defensive cores like skarmchans in half, but there are probably better options.
Does skarmchan still exist, outside stall? I thought this core died and it's only on BC wish killer's team lol

MrAldo

Hey
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
!!! So I'm using Terrakion as a SR lead, and it runs rocks with Close Combat and Stone Edge. I'm kind of debating between using its last move-slot between extra coverage or a utility option like Swords Dance or Taunt. I already know that its STAB combination is already really good and probably hits the whole tier for at least neutral damage, but I'm too lazy to do research. Are there any relevant OU pokes that resist the Fighting / Rock coverage? because if there is, then I'll give up utility (taunt/SD) for extra coverage
Since the introduction of mega sableye, standard lead terrakion (SR taunt) have struggled to make an impact in the metagame so as many designated leads it was forced to adapt. Swords dance, stealth rock, stone edge, close combat with a lum berry (similar to that lum berry chomp) let you pressure mega sableye consistently, at worst forcing a trade but the mega sableyes are generally forced out.

For the rest, rock fighting is pretty amazing neutral coverage so dont think you need any more moves.

What is the viability of specs heatran? It seems like it can put a dent into a lot of things with max spattack fire blast. I'm curious if it considered a useful set on balance.
Specs heatran is a monster lol. Pair it with something that appreciates keldeo and opposing water types getting worn down by specs powered fire blasts and you can inmense pressure on teams. Bisharp or weavile for example, mega manectric also pairs well with it since it appreciate heatran wallbreaking power with specs.

I dont think it is a good set for balance tho, would you consider running it on offense.

!!! So I'm using Terrakion as a SR lead, and it runs rocks with Close Combat and Stone Edge. I'm kind of debating between using its last move-slot between extra coverage or a utility option like Swords Dance or Taunt. I already know that its STAB combination is already really good and probably hits the whole tier for at least neutral damage, but I'm too lazy to do research. Are there any relevant OU pokes that resist the Fighting / Rock coverage? because if there is, then I'll give up utility (taunt/SD) for extra coverage
The closest thing in OU to a resist is Garchomp, just because he resists stone edge and punishes Terrakion for using Close Combat with rocky helmet + rough skin, although he is 2HKOed by Life Orb CC. HP Ice is an option with life orb, but it fails to get the 2HKO on TankChomp, so your probably better off running SD>Taunt with a Lum berry so you can beat and lay hazards against Mega Sableye.

Century Express

melodies of life
is a Tutoris a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
World Defender
What is the viability of specs heatran? It seems like it can put a dent into a lot of things with max spattack fire blast. I'm curious if it considered a useful set on balance.
I actually find it a very decent set, but it's usually kinda outclassed imo. Magma Storm Tran for example, is usually a more solid option than Specs, since you can make his moveset flexible against his checks. You can pair it with a lot of teammates (Mega Manectric, Mega Lopunny, Mega Alakazam, Garchomp), and use your moveset accordingly. Magma Storm + Solar Beam lures and remove Pokémon like Slowbro, Quagsire, Rotom-Wash, and TrapTran itself is more "safe" (Taunt not only 1v1s Chansey, but avoid set-up scenarios), and Air Balloon gives you a emmergency button against threats like Dragonite and Garchomp, whereas Specs Heatran is more "risky" (ignoring the ~prediction~ risk | reward, he can lock himself in a possible Fire Blast and forced to be sacked vs a Belly Drum Azumarill or being a Bulk Up Talonflame set-up fodder after locking yourself in everything bar AncientPower). I guess the most cute niche of Specs Heatran was abusing Eruption on bizarre Trick Room | Sun teams, but that's really rare nowadays.

Last edited:

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
More or less Mcmeghan
what does more or less mean in this context? Is mcm only the tier leader sometimes lol?
The closest thing in OU to a resist is Garchomp, just because he resists stone edge and punishes Terrakion for using Close Combat with rocky helmet + rough skin, although he is 2HKOed by Life Orb CC. HP Ice is an option with life orb, but it fails to get the 2HKO on TankChomp, so your probably better off running SD>Taunt with a Lum berry so you can beat and lay hazards against Mega Sableye.
To be fair, mega med does resist fighting/rock coverage and is pretty ou viable, although cc does a shitton so you may not be inclined to switch in.

edit: sorry for double posting lol

n.n rattata

Banned deucer.
How is Raikou in the meta ATM? What pokemon is it good with?

Raikou has caught my attention help me.
Raikou can spam volt switch, so u-turn stuff are good w/ it. Like Torn for example. Specs set can rip teams apart, if predicted correctly. CM is another option too, dangerous after +1. Just watch out for bulky grounds like Hippo.
Edit: also stuff that absorb eqs (Torn etc.)

I just saw a tweet saying the legendary birds got their HA released, and I'm not seeing any proof of this anywhere else on the net:

So, is it true that they got their HAs, how do you get them, and does it make Zapdos anymore viable as a physical wall in OU?

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I just saw a tweet saying the legendary birds got their HA released, and I'm not seeing any proof of this anywhere else on the net:

So, is it true that they got their HAs, how do you get them, and does it make Zapdos anymore viable as a physical wall in OU?
It's a Japan-only event that was reported to exist back in January. I don't know the exact details of how to obtain them.

I don't think it makes Zapdos that much better, really. I guess you can sometimes Paralyze Mega Pinsir that spam return, but that's it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)