Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers MKII (Read the OP First!) (Now with 100% more Rules!!!)

I just saw a tweet saying the legendary birds got their HA released, and I'm not seeing any proof of this anywhere else on the net:

So, is it true that they got their HAs, how do you get them, and does it make Zapdos anymore viable as a physical wall in OU?
I guess Static is an improvement on the Defog set, but the SubToxic set still wants to run pressure to stall out low PP moves like Stone Edge and gyro ball.

what does more or less mean in this context? Is mcm only the tier leader sometimes lol?
To be fair, mega med does resist fighting/rock coverage and is pretty ou viable, although cc does a shitton so you may not be inclined to switch in.

edit: sorry for double posting lol
Lol yeah I forgot about Mega Medi/mega Gallade, but yeah they both take over 40% from Close Combat

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Whoo-Hoo! I'm back to ask stupid questions!

How viable is rain right now? I'm asking due to Torn-T being so high in the tier list.
Yeah, rain is viable (as shown by Politoed and Kingdra's placement in B+), but Torn-T being high isn't really due to rain – most teams on which Tornadus-T finds itself don't feature rain. That's why the #1 complaint w/ Torn-T is always Hurrimiss.

Are there any pokemon that are pretty anti meta right now?? Also, I haven't played competitively since before Hoopa was unreleased, can someone give me quick rundown on him? What kind of sets does he often run?

Are there any pokemon that are pretty anti meta right now?? Also, I haven't played competitively since before Hoopa was unreleased, can someone give me quick rundown on him? What kind of sets does he often run?
I think I might have some favortism towards Mamoswine as he is one of my favorite mons. But he is able to destroy the Lando-T and Garchomps with it's stab x4 super effectivness. Also Ice is the strongest offensive type. It is able to 1v1 each electric type due to it's ground typing except maybe Rotom-W (unless you have freeze-dry). He has priority to function as a revenge killer. His total type super effective coverage consists of Ground, Flying, Grass, Dragon, Electric, Steel, Fire, Poison, Rock. His dual STAB is really difficult to switch into. Ice type is really strong considering 2 of the most used rockers are 4x weak to it. Hazards are pretty important in the OU Metagame. Mamoswine makes it difficult for rockers to function if used correctly.

I hope this was some help.

n.n rattata

Banned deucer.
Smack Down Lando-t. That's a solid anti-meta mon since people use Rotom and Skarm for their ground immunities. Many megas are underrated too. Pinsir.

I'm not sure what other people consider anti meta, but i think Breloom is a pretty good example. Sand is getting really popular since it's so easy to use, and Breloom is one of the best sand checks in OU, being able to OHKO Excadril with Fist Plate/LO Mach Punch. He also beats both sand setters (he sets up on Hippo and Ttar lacking ice beam/fire blast without having to use Spore.) Another cool thing about Breloom is he's a non ice type physical attacker who can break through Lando and Chomp. Bullet Seed doesn't make contact, so he doesn't have to worry about Chomp's rough skin either. Also Spore is a really good fucking move.

Hoopa-U usually runs a mixed LO all out attacker set.

Hoopa-Unbound @ Life Orb
Ability: Magician
EVs: 160 Atk / 96 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Gunk Shot
- Drain Punch
- Psychic

There are tons of different moves you can use depending on your team needs, but Dark STAB, Gunk Shot, and Drain Punch are pretty much mandatory. The last slot is a toss up between psychic, hidden power ice, fire punch, or thunderbolt.

Hoopa-Unbound @ Choice Band/Choice Scarf
Ability: Magician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Hyperspace Fury
- Gunk Shot
- Drain Punch
- Fire Punch

These are the other two Hoopa sets most commonly used. They trade Hoopa's ability to switch between his great coverage moves for extra power/speed. The main drawback to this set though is Hoopa gets pursuit trapped really easy if he's not locked into drain punch.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
http://pokemonshowdownteams.com/ou/ is there any place that this resource should be placed in the ou subforum? It's really nice for new players starting out on ladder.
No I am sorry. While this might seem like a good idea, it is simply.... not. The first team being the signature bloody sunday team which has so many teambuilding deficiencies would not prove to be a good resource to newer players starting on the ladder.

Are there any teams for OU that use CM latios I can see? I would really love to use it but I don't know where to start.

n.n rattata

Banned deucer.
Are there any teams for OU that use CM latios I can see? I would really love to use it but I don't know where to start.
Cm Latios is a great braker. It's a glue mon that easily fits on most teams. Let's say, balance that lacks offensive pressure. I'd suggest looking in the forums for a team.

Six Trails

formerly Analytic_
What happened to the "Dual Screens" set for Azelf in OU? Is there a reason it was removed from Azelf's page? Also, what happened to Sylveon's "Cleric" set? The one with 252 Def and a Bold nature?

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
What happened to the "Dual Screens" set for Azelf in OU? Is there a reason it was removed from Azelf's page? Also, what happened to Sylveon's "Cleric" set? The one with 252 Def and a Bold nature?
The Sylveon set was removed because its advantages over Clefable's cleric set are too small. A small advantage it had – the fact that it could take two Earth Powers from Landorus – lost relevance when Lando started running Sludge Wave, and soon after when it was banned. Sylveon is just 90% of the time better off running a specs set; it should leave the role of a defensive mono-Fairy to Clefable (who can run Magic Guard or Unaware as abilities and T-Wave, Fire Blast, Encore, Ice Beam, etc as moves).

As for Azelf, Klefki, with its superior typing and bulk, has surpassed Azelf as a dual screener for offensive teams (even though Klefki rarely runs screens). February's usage stats reflect this, with the vast majority of Azelf running Stealth Rock | Taunt | Explosion | Skill Swap / Fire Blast. Light Screen and Reflect don't even show up under often-used moves.

n.n rattata

Banned deucer.
How viable is a Life Orb/Sheer Force Conkeldurr set?
As far as I know, that's a really solid balance breaker which fits on offense. Set would be max atk/spe w drain p/ pjab/ice punch and a filler thunder punch/knock. That thing shreds bulkier builds.

Six Trails

formerly Analytic_
So the main problem is that it's susceptible to status? I'm assuming there is some major flaw with it if there's no set listed on the website.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
SF conk is a valid set, although it faces pretty heavy competition from things like Mega Medicham, Mega Heracross and basically every other viable Fighting-type in this role - making AV better most of the the due to the latter being easier to justify over its competition in general than Sheer Force.

Six Trails

formerly Analytic_
Thanks. I will stick to my Assault Vest for the time being.

Speaking of Assault Vest users, let's talk about Raikou. Would it be a bad idea to possibly shift some of it's SpA EVs into SpD when running the Assault Vest set? Perhaps something like 200 SpA / 56 SpD / 252 Spe or 192 SpA / 64 SpD / 252 Spe with a Timid nature? Or is that a bad idea?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)