Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers MKII (Read the OP First!) (Now with 100% more Rules!!!)

Viability thread puts Mega Aerodactyl at B+ with the "Revenge Killer" set but what is this set and what is it revenge killing?
It pretty much revenge kills anything with low physical bulk or a weakness to it's STAB moves and coverage of choice. His speed tier is tied for the best in OU so the only things that can outspeed him are choice scarf mons, who are notoriously easy to revenge kill anyway once you know what move they're locked into. Pursuit helps too since it gets boosted by tough claws and guarantees you can at least damage mons if they try to switch out, but i think people normally run a different spread for it.

The actual set is

Aerodactyl-Mega @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Wing Attack
- Stone Edge
- Aqua Tail
- Fire Fang/Roost/Pursuit

Six Trails

formerly Analytic_
Can Stored Power be run in the last slot on the Calm Mind + Magic Guard Clefable set? Or is that considered gimmicky? This is also with the Bold / 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SpA spread.

p2

Banned deucer.
stored power is fine on cm clefable since it can overwhelm stuff like amoonguss and chansey more easily

edit: just roll with what's standard i guess, i don't think running that second spread makes a difference and i don't like a clef that struggles against standard kyu-b :(

Six Trails

formerly Analytic_
Which spread do you think is preferable if running Stored Power? Calm / 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD or Bold / 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SpA?

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Six Trails The 80 SpA spread is tailored specifically for LO variants and is designed to ensure that +6 Moonblast 2HKOs Chansey. As such it isn't applicable to the set you're running. Just run standard.

Six Trails

formerly Analytic_
Six Trails The 80 SpA spread is tailored specifically for LO variants and is designed to ensure that +6 Moonblast 2HKOs Chansey. As such it isn't applicable to the set you're running. Just run standard.
Which raises another question I had, is that bit about 2HKOing Chansey assuming that there's no SpD investment?

+6 80 SpA Life Orb Clefable Moonblast vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 282-333 (43.9 - 51.8%) -- 11.7% chance to 2HKO

Martin

is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Which raises another question I had, is that bit about 2HKOing Chansey assuming that there's no SpD investment?

+6 80 SpA Life Orb Clefable Moonblast vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 282-333 (43.9 - 51.8%) -- 11.7% chance to 2HKO
I just did a quick calc, and it seems to be tailored to PhysDef spreads

+6 80 SpA Life Orb Clefable Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 352-417 (50 - 59.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

I think I read somewhere that the spread has some significance on certain builds for taking a certain hit, but don't quote me on that as I haven't personally used the spread and I can't remember what that hit was now.

Since I want some Dark coverage and a physical wall on my team without a Fairy weakness, I'm feeling adventurous and I want to try an Impish Drapion with Black Sludge. Does that sound viable?

so this is my mega houndoom team. The set is a sunny day 3 attacks set with fire blast, solar beam, and dark pulse. I paired it with Keldeo since keldeo finds ez sweeps with rotom-w, slowbro, latios, etc gone. Should I opt for specs or sub calm mind? How can you tell if one is better than the other for a certain team? Latios for defog and fighting resist. Rotom-W to help vs. bird spam. Now I have a question for both ground types. Which one is a better scarfer for this teams and teams in general. When do I know whether or not to use one over the other. What sets would work. How could I make this team better in general. This is quite a lot, but I think it just covers a lot of questions I

HailFall

my cancer is sun and my leo is moon
There are viable hazard removers not named latios amazingly enough. Starmie, zapdos, scizor, togekiss, skarm, (mega or not) latias, excadrill, and mew can all remove hazards even if they arent quite as good at it as latios. Of course some of their defog/spin sets arent super impressive, but calling them unviable is taking it a step too far. They can fit on specific teams.

MrAldo

Hey
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Sometimes people want hazard remover that arent weak to pursuit so other defoggers have great merits. Empoleon is a rather interesting one, albeit niche, it has a really unique typing that let it check most fairies sufficiently enough and beat opposing SR setters by having a shuca berry.

Skarm is another decent defogger option tbh, you give up the spikes utility which sucks but it can be really nice for teams that are looking for hazard control and a fairy resistance + sand check. Mew kind of sucks, defog mega scizor is a waste and regular scizor with defog is pretty eh imo.

Edit: Happy 800th to me!

I really recommend empoleon and Scizor as defoggers over Zapdos if you aren't using Latios due to fear of being pursuit trapped.

Zapdos has a stellar defensive typing but offensively it's very exploitable and relatively safe to scout, other Pokémon have more utility compressed in their Defogger role than Zapdos.

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Defog Scizor is pretty bad, just saying. Pressured to hell by one of the most common Rockers in Heatran and loses to many variants of Chomp and Lando as well.

The problem with offensive Zapdos is that we have Thundurus which is much faster, and has a more varied movepool which includes stuff like Nasty Plot, Grass Knot and Superpower. Yes offensive Defog is a niche Thund can't fill but most merits of Defog Zapdos depend on its defensive capabilities. Zapdos just doesnt match the speed/power of Latios, Starmie or Excadrill which are the only notable offensive hazard removers. You are better off going defensive for longevity purposes so you can continually defog. Since Zapdos as an offensive mon isn't all that threatening in OU its not going to give you as many opportunities to remove hazards as a defensive variant.

HailFall

my cancer is sun and my leo is moon
I would say probably the best defogger if youre concerned about pursuit trappers and bish especially is togekiss. It defogs safely on bish switchins and if youre willing to give up twave you can even run aura sphere to ohko it. as i said previously, its definitely a niche option, but its not totally terrible and still maintains quite a bit if the utility togekiss already has in flinching fairly reliably with air slash. just my opinion but whatever.

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Is there any place on forums that we can do massive team dumps? I have a lot of cool teams that I wanna show off, but there's not really a place that I can show off more than one of them at once.

Martin

Is there any place on forums that we can do massive team dumps? I have a lot of cool teams that I wanna show off, but there's not really a place that I can show off more than one of them at once.
Threads like these are generally rather unnecessary in general, as any particularly notable individual teams should be posted in the RMT forum while team dump threads are generally just for people offering their skills to others (which is rendered pretty pointless by the existence of the teambuilding workshop outside of really extreme builds like the ones -Snow used to offer). If you're really desparate to do one just edit it into an old RMT (i.e. 10+pages back so as to not stir anything unnecessary on the early pages) or paste them into a google doc and put a link to the page in your sig or something. That way people always have access to it without it being disruptive to the functioning of the forum. Alternatively if you want them to be noticable just do them in separate RMTs over the course of a few weeks and just pick a few of the best ones to do. Team dumps used to be allowed here with mod permission but were disallowed at some point due to oversaturation+how generally unnecessary they are (iirc; if I got the details wrong just read the update post in the rules thread).

Fire fang or Fire blast mega garchomp? I know they usually run blast but is the meta trends heavily investing in special defence? (I read this on a board). If the answer is team specific, what can partner with fire fang mega chomp well and blast mega chomp well?

Fire fang or Fire blast mega garchomp? I know they usually run blast but is the meta trends heavily investing in special defence? (I read this on a board). If the answer is team specific, what can partner with fire fang mega chomp well and blast mega chomp well?
SD is the best set and if you go SD just run Fire Fang. This also means that any set besides SD is pretty bad (with the exception of the v v team specific defensive variant)

What advantages does fucking focus miss thundurus have on a mixed set with superpower in OU? Do I miss any important KOs by splitting the EVs in attacking stats? I can't think of any.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)