Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers MKII (Read the OP First!) (Now with 100% more Rules!!!)

The main sr set for rachi is the spdef pivot to my knowledge, but it mainly only fits on fatter builds. The set is just max/max normally unless you want to outspeed adamant loom and play iron head mindgames with it, and in that case u can run 32 speed without losing too much bulk (take out of spdef). This is the main set that I'm thinking of rn, but if there's better evs for the thing that someone can think of, then please provide it since im not really an expert with ev spreads. The reason why i prefer running max spdef over 32 speed personally is that rachi isnt doing shit to bisharp and most defensive teams tend to have some sort of loom counter whether it be amoonguss or celebi, but it's still a great option if you dont have a fat grass type to check loom. If you really need a rocker and jirachi is the only mon that can check faires/psychics/steels, then go for it, but imo jirachi really appreciates more moveslots for utility options like wishtect and toxic.
Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Careful Nature
- Iron Head
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave/Wish
- U-Turn
252 HP / 224 SpD / 32 Spe | Careful Nature
Standard Specially Defensive set.

For more offensive teams I've recently been using a simple 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe, Hasty Nature build. I usually use Shuca + Icy Wind so it doesn't autolose of Lando
Thanks bros :D

Why vest goodra is consider as D rank set? IMO this is quite good pivot which can switch in on most ou special attackers (basicaly all beside lati, gardevoir and diance) and force switch out due to it's fatness and coverage. In my opinion it's coverage is wide enough to be troublesome for switch in.

HailFall

my cancer is sun and my leo is moon
Why vest goodra is consider as D rank set? IMO this is quite good pivot which can switch in on most ou special attackers (basicaly all beside lati, gardevoir and diance) and force switch out due to it's fatness and coverage. In my opinion it's coverage is wide enough to be troublesome for switch in.
I honestly think the specs set is loads better. The av set is just incredibly passive but the specs set is a real threat. It still maintains a considerable amount of bulk but has actual offensive presence

I actually think Expert Belt is just as good as Specs on Goodra. Goodra's movepool is INSANE. You have viable moves like Sludge Wave (nailing Clefable, Gardevoir, and Azumarill), Thunderbolt (fat waters), Power Whip (Gastrodon, Quagsire), Focus Blast (Bisharp and Tyranitar, Heatran too but to a lesser degree), Earthquake (Heatran/Ttar/Sharp/etc.), Draco Meteor, Muddy Water (Heatran), Fire Blast (Ferrothorn and Scizor), Ice Beam (Lando-T and Garchomp), and so on. You can pick and choose the coverage you want depending on what your team is weak too, and Expert Belt can bluff a choiced set and let you nail the switch-in (say you hit a Clefable with Sludge Wave, you can then nail the incoming Skarm/Scizor/Ferro/Metagross with Fire Blast) with the appropriate coverage move.

The big downside is that you lose the power to OHKO things like Skarmory after Sturdy, and beat CM Clefable in a 1v1 (since you outspeed), and so on. These CAN be very important.

Sure, you give up the pure power of Specs, but I find that being able to use Goodra's very good natural (special) bulk with that insane movepool is worth it.

Goodra @ Expert Belt
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 156 HP / 252 SpA / 100 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Sludge Wave/Ice Beam
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast/Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast/Muddy Water/Earthquake

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
E-Belt's not going to be a consistent bluff since damage rolls can give it away, and they might just assume you're AV.

E-Belt's not going to be a consistent bluff since damage rolls can give it away, and they might just assume you're AV.
True, it won't be consistent, but honestly you only need it to work once or twice to have it pay off in a match, and unless you're dropping Draco Meteor all the time, the ability to switch between moves is quite nice.

Six Trails

formerly Analytic_
Why is 16 HP / 8 Def run on Mega Gardevoir? Is there some defensive benchmark reached with that specific investment that just isn't specified in the ser details?

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Why is 16 HP / 8 Def run on Mega Gardevoir? Is there some defensive benchmark reached with that specific investment that just isn't specified in the ser details?
It's meant to ensure a 3HKO from Life Orb Latios' Psyshock when Stealth Rock is not in play:

252 SpA Life Orb Latios Psyshock vs. 16 HP / 8 Def Gardevoir: 120-140 (42.7 - 49.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Edit: It is actually mentioned in the dex entry, it's just hidden within that big paragraph right in the middle.

Whenever I play with the same team for a long time, I seem to do progressively worse, until I can barely even win using it. Is this a flaw in my teambuilding, my battling, or is it just something psychologically? Does it happen to anyone else? My elo on the ou ladder is generally between the high 16-hundreds and mid-high 17-hundreds, if that's to any help.

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Whenever I play with the same team for a long time, I seem to do progressively worse, until I can barely even win using it. Is this a flaw in my teambuilding, my battling, or is it just something psychologically? Does it happen to anyone else? My elo on the ou ladder is generally between the high 16-hundreds and mid-high 17-hundreds, if that's to any help.
As you win more, you tend to face tougher opponents. Other factors for this may include tilting and entering "autopilot mode" when using a team for a large amount of games.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
When this happens I find that usually taking the rest of the day off is the best solution. Chances are you're just tiring out and need to do something else for a few hours before hopping back on the ladder to play again. A general rule of thumb for me is to limit myself to playing up to 10/15 matches a day (20 on a good day) to ensure that I don't get too tired, and if I notice myself going onto tilt I will stop. Generally speaking, tilt isn't usually caused by someone being particularly unlucky, but it is usually just a symptom of tiredness (its sort of a combination of your play getting sloppy from playing for too long and you just not handling your luck as well as you do with an awake brain). Also, if you plan on playing in a day it is better to do it either earlier in the day before you go to do anything else (e.g. you could adjust your sleep schedule forward an hour or two to allow you to play five-or-so games at 6:00 AM or something before heading out to school/work/college/whatever you do) and/or one or more hours after you finish doing something which is stressful on your brain to ensure that you are playing at maximum capacity. Finish your work for the day, unwind for an hour with a cup of cocoa or something and then play and you will be less likely to go on tilt as your brain is functioning at full capacity.

Basically the best advice I can give you is to go onto the ladder with a clear head and the moment you notice that you are going "on tilt" (for lack of a better term) stop playing and don't pick it up again until the following day. With this you should be able to climb as high as your skill level allows and this "same-team syndrome" won't come into effect as often.

littlelucario "Tilt" doesn't exist in the sense that you are putting it into. You don't just start having bad luck because you've used a team for too long; that's not how this game works. In fact, it is usually caused by a combination of tiredness (like I said above) and this so-called "autopilot mode" that you mention in your post leading to a decrease in quality of playing. If you look at the luck of a player as they play, you will notice that their luck averages out to about the same throughout their time playing, but their win rate decreases and they manage the bad luck much more poorly the further into their play session that they get. This is the percieved "tilt" -- not anything to do with the true level of luck that they are having.

Martin. Thank you for the very in dept answer, I really appreciate it! I will definitely remember to take your advisces into consideration whenever I tilt! However, I don't feel like it fully answers my original question. I often find myself doing average/well with a team, and then suddenly, I hit a brick wall, and it feels as if I was using a team build for a entirely different meta. I alternate between a handful of teams, so it's not like I tilt and play badly, I still play well with all my other teams. Taking a break also doesn't seem to help, it really do feel like the problem lays with the teams themselves.

Martin

is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Martin. Thank you for the very in dept answer, I really appreciate it! I will definitely remember to take your advisces into consideration whenever I tilt! However, I don't feel like it fully answers my original question. I often find myself doing average/well with a team, and then suddenly, I hit a brick wall, and it feels as if I was using a team build for a entirely different meta. I alternate between a handful of teams, so it's not like I tilt and play badly, I still play well with all my other teams. Taking a break also doesn't seem to help, it really do feel like the problem lays with the teams themselves.
If you feel like a team has hit a brick wall, then why not try posting it in either the RMT room or forum to get feedback on it? Often if the problem lies in the team it is just that the team is either not well prepared for the upper ladder's style of play or that it could just do with some optimisation. The advice you can get there will often prove invaluable for improving the team, so don't be afraid to ask for help if you feel that your team is struggling on the ladder :)

If you feel like a team has hit a brick wall, then why not try posting it in either the RMT room or forum to get feedback on it? Often if the problem lies in the team it is just that the team is either not well prepared for the upper ladder's style of play or that it could just do with some optimisation. The advice you can get there will often prove invaluable for improving the team, so don't be afraid to ask for help if you feel that your team is struggling on the ladder :)
I will do that, thank you a lot :D

Six Trails

formerly Analytic_
Why are megas such as Mega Lati@s, Mega Tyranitar, Mega Slowbro, and Mega Garchomp considered OU? Shouldn't they just be BL?

HailFall

my cancer is sun and my leo is moon
Why are megas such as Mega Lati@s, Mega Tyranitar, Mega Slowbro, and Mega Garchomp considered OU? Shouldn't they just be BL?
BL is reserved for pokemon actually banned by UU. The megas you mentioned are pokemon whose base formes are OU by usage, but their mega formes arent. The mega formes havent been banned by UU, so they cannot be considered BL. Obviously however, these pokemon cannot drop to UU when you need their normal formes to get the megas in the first place.

Edit: Mega Latias is like not used at all untill mid-high ladder and even then its not super common. Its still good but on the ladder, for one reason or another, not enough people use it atm for it to be techinically OU. Wouldn't be suprised if it rose soonish though

sup guys what's a good set for SR rachi
and
how do i know whether or not sub cm keldeo is better than specs for my team
Specs Keld is a wallbreaker, while SubCM Keld is more of a wincon vs. bulkier builds (fat balance, semi-stall and stall). I find that SubCM is best used when it's built around, not tagged on in one of the last team slots, so if you're using Keldeo as a glue then Specs, Scarf, or LO RestTalk are probably your go-to sets.

Out of curiosity, what does your team look like?

Also, here's an SR Jirachi set I run on my Mega-Hera team:
Jirachi @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 228 SpD / 32 Spe
Careful Nature
- Iron Head
- U-turn
- Healing Wish
- Stealth Rock

It's a solid check to Lati@s as well as CM Clef, and has loads of utility between U-turn and HW.

Martin

I have a fast SR Jirachi set that I made ages ago:

Jirachi @ Leftovers / Colbur Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 156 SpD / 104 Spe (T-wave/Body Slam) OR 248 HP / 164 SpD / 96 Spe (HW/Fire Punch)
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Iron Head
- Healing Wish / Thunder wave / Fire Punch / Body Slam

The first EV spread outpaces jolly Gyara to T-wave it before it can Crunch or whatever. If you lack t-wave or Body Slam you can drop the speed down to 96 to U-turn after non-Crunch variants or to allow you to scout said move out with Colbur Berry while still outpacing Jolly M-Alt and pre-mega Garde/any other random 80s I'm forgetting. It may be a little outdated or whatever 'cause Alt and Gyara are kinda bad rn so toy around with the speed tier, but keep it in mind if you want to take a slightly faster approach to defensive SR Rachi.

Is modest mega Alakazam still viable? I remember it being core during XY, but the addition of mega Lopunny, Sceptile and Beedril hurt it. How viable is the additional power?

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Is modest mega Alakazam still viable? I remember it being core during XY, but the addition of mega Lopunny, Sceptile and Beedril hurt it. How viable is the additional power?
You should really be using Timid in order to revenge kill Lopunny (and Scept/bee, but they're not common). The extra power from modest isn't worth the loss in ability to check lop, so I guess only use modest if you have other checks to lop on your offensive team (which isn't that likely as lopunny usually tears apart offensive teams, leaving zam as one of the best ways to handle it thanks to its speed).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)