Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers MKII (Read the OP First!) (Now with 100% more Rules!!!)

I'd just avoid that all together, not really sure why it's mentioned. Knock Off on the standard offensive tank set with Giga / Sludge Bomb / Synthesis is pretty cool tho.
Thanks! I'll trust your opinion lol.So Knock Off and Earthquake are interchangeable on the offensive tank set?I remember myself using Earthquake/Giga Drain/Sludge Bomb/Synthesis with a Relaxed Nature (but I don't remember the evs) in the X/Y meta.In this case,what teammate can I choose?Someone that appreciates Heatran weakened by Earthquake should be fine I imagine.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Thanks! I'll trust your opinion lol.So Knock Off and Earthquake are interchangeable on the offensive tank set?I remember myself using Earthquake/Giga Drain/Sludge Bomb/Synthesis with a Relaxed Nature (but I don't remember the evs) in the X/Y meta.In this case,what teammate can I choose?Someone that appreciates Heatran weakened by Earthquake should be fine I imagine.
They are both cool options to run on the offensive set, although you don't need to run Relaxed on alongside EQ as it deals enough to Heatran already. I don't like KOff on offensive tho, but that''s just me.

What's the deal with the OU subforum in general? I understand that it's for more "serious" discussion, but I've gotten such an unfriendly vibe from it that I was thinking of playing another tier instead.
There is no real deal. Subforum being as high traffic as it is leads to a certain amount of low information posts, which leads to a certain response from users who deal with that kind of low information near constantly. Shouldn't happen but it's a reality that working in this forum wears on you a bit. I tend to run the subforum rather militantly myself but that's more personal philosophy and what I've found works best, and that can come off as unfriendly.

I'm not telling you that you should stay in the tier or not, but I don't think our subforum is any more or less friendly than any other. If you really want to find a friendly social group real time interaction on PS is best in the various tier rooms. Although be warned there is no official link between a PS room and its respective subforum.

If any particular aspects of the subforum or exchanges bother you we can talk about those in PM, as I eluded to earlier I mod this subforum and I love to hear feedback from those looking to integrate themselves.

They are both cool options to run on the offensive set, although you don't need to run Relaxed on alongside EQ as it deals enough to Heatran already. I don't like KOff on offensive tho, but that''s just me.
Thanks! Just another question:what are the best teammates for the offensive tank (with LO) clefable set?

Y'know that sub + DD + fly dragonite that's been running around? I wanna build one of those. Does anyone know the specific nature and EVs the cool kids use? Thanks in advance.
Dragonite @ Leftovers
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 248 HP / 68 Def / 192 Spe
Impish Nature
IVs: 0 SpA
- Dragon Dance
- Fly
- Substitute
- Roost

Outspeeds ScarfTar at +1, max HP, and rest go into defense because the most notable moves this set stalls out are 8PP Physical moves (Stone Edge from Lando-T and Gyro Ball from Ferrothorn). Unfortunately Specs Keldeo's Scald is still breaking your Substitutes if you're not at full so be wary although Fly should scare it off.

What does the Fly set for Dragonite beat that the standard ones can't?
This set can set up and beat some defensive 'mons with low PP moves that would deter a regular Dragonite (Landorus-T and Ferrothorn), and persistent status users who are unable to break your Substitutes (Rotom-W, Sableye, Jirachi). It can be argued that a regular Dnite can cheese through these 'mons as well with the appropriate coverage, but the most important thing that this set does is that it can avoid being revenge killed. Against a good player, a regular DDnite will usually only get as far as +1 before being forced to attack, in which case it's either taken some heavy chip damage and/or is locked into Outrage or something, which makes it an easy revenge kill for any Scarfer.

Here are the WCOP replays that show these examples most clearly:

Valentine vs. seeme: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-ou-169243 (defensive lando edge pp gets stalled, scarfrachi cannot rk)
ben gay vs. ABR: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-ou-172100 (subs up, can't get statused due to opponent's passivity)

there are 2 more but i can't find them. it went 3-1 but the one loss was b/c he got hit by hurricane in midair LOL

Anyways it should just be noted that this set is extremely match-up reliant. Skarmory, any Protect user, any Clefable, and basically any Fly resist/bulky 'mon that can consistently break your subs will screw you over. It'll either 6-0 your opponent or be glorified death fodder, although the surprise factor of the set can sometimes help (albeit not really anymore given that everybody is now aware of it).

Thanks! Just another question:what are the best teammates for the offensive tank (with LO) clefable set?
i wouldn't use life orb + 3 attacks on a serious competitive team right now

the only good life orb clefable right now is the calm mind / moonblast / flamethrower / softboiled set which allows you to 2hko chansey at +6 with moonblast, completely destroying stall. 76 sdef quagsire can't take your moonblasts if you decide to invest a little and normal quagsire drops to uninvested life orb moonblasts. amoonguss is a poor check. the only difference is life orb clefable gives up the luxury of leftovers (which means you will need more phys def and have partners to make up for the missed 84+ sdef careful nature) for power.

it has the same teammates as a normal clefable would: slowbro, tornadus-t, heatran, mew, tyranitar
Clefable @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 104 Def / 152 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Flamethrower

152 SpA Life Orb Clefable Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 76 SpD Quagsire: 188-224 (47.7 - 56.8%) -- 37.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 152 SpA Life Orb Clefable Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 96 SpD Amoonguss: 304-359 (70.3 - 83.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
+6 152 SpA Life Orb Clefable Moonblast vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 304-359 (47.3 - 55.9%) -- 78.5% chance to 2HKO

HailFall

my cancer is sun and my leo is moon
what does porygon2 check? like it looks incredibly fat but i have no idea what it actually does

what does porygon2 check? like it looks incredibly fat but i have no idea what it actually does
The only time I remember this thing getting any real usage was back when greninja was running around, being one of the few pokemon to actually be able to switch into it reliably. These days it really only has merits on trick room, or I guess 'walling' some of the less crazy threats in the meta like starmie, defensive latias, and a bunch of other underwhelming mons, because that is the extent of its ability. Best case scenario in a battle, you'll use it to twave their metagross or scizor, and that's the only thing it would achieve all battle. If you want a reliable twaver there is a whole host of them that do it so much better, like ferro, clef, latias, rotom-w etc. There's very little reason to use porygon2

What niches does Magnezone achieve outside of checking Steel-types? Is it useful when it's not attacking Steel-types?

Also, why do people prefer Magnezone over Magneton? Magnezone can switch into attacks better, but what if most of the time, you don't need Magnezone to switch into stuff? Would it better to use Magneton in this case?

What niches does Magnezone achieve outside of checking Steel-types? Is it useful when it's not attacking Steel-types?

Also, why do people prefer Magnezone over Magneton? Magnezone can switch into attacks better, but what if most of the time, you don't need Magnezone to switch into stuff? Would it better to use Magneton in this case?
Magnezone is a trapper for Steel-types such as Skarmory, Ferrothorn, and Scizor; it's usually paired with Pokemon troubled by said Pokemon, such as, but not limited to; Mega Diancie, Mega Pinsir, Mega Scizor and Excadrill. Outside of teams which "require" this support, it is almost useless. Specs Magnezone, in my opinion, is the only Magnezone set worth running (Chople is good but for the most part, Specs is superior), as Scarf Magneton has the speed advantage over Tornadus-T, Weavile, and Alakazam, which Magnezone does not have, all of which are threatening Pokemon to offensive builds. Some may argue that you're better off using Scarf Magnezone for the added bulk over Magneton, but it isn't a Steel-type in the same way that Heatran or Ferrothorn are (eg, it isn't switching into repeated Draco Meteors from the Latis).

I've got a question, too. I've seen a mixed defense Talon set running around with a little Attack investment (somewhere in the range of 80, iirc), and I was wondering if anyone could give me the specifics on the spread? Thanks.

Hi everyone, i would like a clarification of the terms: Sweeper, Set-up Sweeper, Wallbreaker and Stallbreaker.
If i've understood correctly a Wallbreaker is essentially a powerhouse - like Hoopa-Unbound for example - that relies on powerful physical, special or both attacks with the help of a boosting item like Life Orb to destroy opposing walls.
It should also have a great coverage and no form of recovery nor any defensive investment.
A Stallbreaker is essentially a Wallbreaker but designed to break opposing stall teams... something like Mega-Gardevoir that has access not only to a plethora of powerful attacks but also to something like Taunt or a status inducing move to cripple the opponent's walls.
Instead the Sweepers or Set-up Sweepers are glass cannons that pratically cannot sustain any damage and relies on powerful attacking stats and a great speed (maybe coupled with a priority move) to sweep the opposing teams when its checks/counters are gone.
Am i right?

Yeah basically you got it all but not every sweeper is necessarily a glass cannon, e,i, Keldeo and Charizard-X both have solid natural bulk and can take hits. Also another word for sweeper is a Cleaner like Scarf Keldeo or Mega Lopunny, no setup or power boosting items but high speed lets them clean teams that have been weakened significantly.

So substantially a Cleaner it's the same as a Revenge Killer isn't it?
We'll sort of. A cleaner is something that wins late game by beating the opponent after their team has been weakened by the rest of your team. A revenge killer is something that comes in and kills an opposing Pokemon after one of yours just died, so that it has a safe switch in, and grabs a kill. While revenge killers can often act as cleaners, they usually aren't labeled as a cleaner. An example of this is scarf Keldeo. You can revenge kill a whole lot of mons with it, like Lando, mega lop, etc., but usually you won't be able to get, say, the last 4 kills and end a game with scarf Keldeo because you're locked into one of your moves. A cleaner, such as mega lopunny, comes in after its checks/ counters have been weakened, and grabs the last few kills on the remaining Pokemon. While a revenge killer can act as a cleaner (something like talonflame who can revenge kill very well AND clean weakened teams) and vice versa, they usually have a slightly different role in mind when they're being put on a team.

Thank you guys just one more question... can you link me a guide or a video where is explained how to build and use Hyper Offensive teams?

Theres definitely an in-depth guide somewhere, but a simplistic answer would be use a dedicated stealth rock lead and 5 threats. Be careful to have back up answers to set up sweepers and fast revenge killers though.Such answers include prankster twave or priority ect.

HailFall

my cancer is sun and my leo is moon
Which lando-t set is the best right now? I'm partial to scarf, but I really, really hate not being able to switch moves
imo the best set is defensive (by far) followed by scarf. defensive just brings an insane amount of utility to the table, checking like a billion things, setting rocks, and generating momentum.

p2

Banned deucer.
i think scarf is the best. also seems to be one of the main reasons other than mega sableye that people are running rocks clef more - it frees up the sr slot on grounds and lets them opt for better sets, scarf for lando and sd 3 atk/scarf in garchomps case.

Sylveon.

Penny saved is still a fucking penny
Earth plate + rocks set is the best one imo, I know its forced out by electrics but still being able to force out so many defensive mons and being able to set up rocks is good enough for me

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)