Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers MKII (Read the OP First!) (Now with 100% more Rules!!!)

The current policy is being re-reviewed, but here's the current reason:

This was brought a long time ago, and while it is theoretically possible, at the time it was pretty much unanimous that tier leaders didn't want to tier Megas separately from their base forms. (Here's the thread for reference: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/tiering-mega-evolutions-separately.3500303/)

It was a pretty short discussion, but I believe a lot of the opposition against doing this involved the fact that there are those who view Megas not as completely different Pokemon, but rather a separate set (Pokemon + item) that the Pokemon can run, and in tiering Megas separately from their base forms you're tiering a set of a mon plus the mon itself. Also, this would get a bit weird since Mega Latios would basically drop Latios to a lower tier provided that it hold a specific item.
But from almost the start kangaskanite was banned from OU, but not kangaskhan itself, meaning they quickly dismissed their own reasoning why not to do it. At that very moment they first went against that reasoning and banned the mega and not the poke, they should've/could've be consistent and unban every other pokemon that was banned for its mega form.

By now we have so many mega stones that are banned and not their pokemon, I don't understand why charizard is still not treated the same way.

Are there other pokemon that obviously need to be dropped down a tier (or more) while having the mega-form stay in its current tier?
(manectric?)

But from almost the start kangaskanite was banned from OU, but not kangaskhan itself, meaning they quickly dismissed their own reasoning why not to do it. At that very moment they first went against that reasoning and banned the mega and not the poke, they should've/could've be consistent and unban every other pokemon that was banned for its mega form.

By now we have so many mega stones that are banned and not their pokemon, I don't understand why charizard is still not treated the same way.

Are there other pokemon that obviously need to be dropped down a tier (or more) while having the mega-form stay in its current tier?
(manectric?)
You aren't the only one with this concerns. In fact, some important users share your point of view. The subject is currently discussed right now in this thread
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/separate-tiering-of-mega-pokemon.3546062/

p2

Banned deucer.
haven't played in a while so my question is this: how did hoopa change the metagame?
Simply put, Hoopa is pretty much one of the best balance breakers in the tier, which has led to a pretty big decline in balance and stall teams, creating a more offensive meta.

Hey, so I am new to forums but have been playing competitively for a while now. Stopped try Harding after I peaked at 2000~ ELO or so after XY was first released.

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but is tyranitar still a premiere OU threat? Even with mega lucario running around I got fantastic mileage out of him, same with mega gengar carrying focus blast.

Has the meta evolved so that he isn't as good anymore? Just a simple question really, haven't been keeping up to date since I left.

p2

Banned deucer.
Hey, so I am new to forums but have been playing competitively for a while now. Stopped try Harding after I peaked at 2000~ ELO or so after XY was first released.

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but is tyranitar still a premiere OU threat? Even with mega lucario running around I got fantastic mileage out of him, same with mega gengar carrying focus blast.

Has the meta evolved so that he isn't as good anymore? Just a simple question really, haven't been keeping up to date since I left.
nah, Tyranitar is still one of the best and most versatile mons in OU

Mega Tyranitar is a lot less popular than XY since the advent of Mega Altaria, but as Human Mystery Box said Tyranitar is still very versatile and finds its way onto a lot of teams

Just wondering, on the OU Analysis Aerodactyl has Pressure stated as the ability for Mega sets. Is this an oversight, is there a specific reason Aerodactyl has Pressure on sets that Mega aside from the switch in turn getting extra PP drop (assuming no free switch), or is it just the PP drop and I'm overthinking it?

Just wondering, on the OU Analysis Aerodactyl has Pressure stated as the ability for Mega sets. Is this an oversight, is there a specific reason Aerodactyl has Pressure on sets that Mega aside from the switch in turn getting extra PP drop (assuming no free switch), or is it just the PP drop and I'm overthinking it?
That and it's the only ability that as an iota of a chance to be used pre-Mega evolution since you'll always Mega evolve when you get a chance. It's the same reason Scizor uses Light Metal on Mega sets: it may never matter, but it's better than an ability that has a 0% chance of mattering.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Unnerve is probably better since you can stop random Cutsaps and deny stuff like Slurpuff from getting an Unburden boost when you switch in while they set up. It's situational, but at least it does something unlike Pressure.

So according to bulbapedia, Zoroark's illusion ability changes him into the last pokemon in the party. Does the order in Team Preview reflect the order of the party? Does this mean that the opponent can always tell which Pokemon Zoraork will copy?

So according to bulbapedia, Zoroark's illusion ability changes him into the last pokemon in the party. Does the order in Team Preview reflect the order of the party? Does this mean that the opponent can always tell which Pokemon Zoraork will copy?
If your team contains a Pokemon with Illusion, ps at least will allow you to arrange your entire team however you want, not just the lead.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
The order shown in Team Preview does not tell your opponent the final order, as you choose the order during Team Preview. They will not be able to tell what Pokemon you choose based off of it (but they can still make an educated guess).

Mainly because it's an unviable item that can only work on shit like Cloyster, and even then you'll rarely or never encounter it outside 1300 and below ELO.
I get that it's uncompetitive, but it's not a legit strategy like Swagger was.

thesecondbest

Just Kidding I'm First
Oh ok, for some reason I remember it being banned last gen. But I guess it never was and it reigns free, able to 6-0 any player.

SketchUp

Don't let your memes be dreams
Oh ok, for some reason I remember it being banned last gen. But I guess it never was and it reigns free, able to 6-0 any player.
If you could actually show a replay where a player 6-0s an opponent because of King's Rock that would be nice. Even if you pair it up with a Skill Link user it doesn't seem broken because there is only 1 viable Skill Link user that can hold an item (Heracross excluded) which has difficulties to sweep / set up a sweep without White Herb / Sash / LO and even when it gets the 41% chance to flinch, which isn't even much worse than a scald burn for example, you still won't get past stuff like Ferrothorn.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)