Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers MKII (Read the OP First!) (Now with 100% more Rules!!!)

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Whats a good answer to special Hoopa-U on stall other than Mandibuzz?
Drapion is a decent counter to hoopa u if you want to get into more niche stuff, and tornt is a decent semi stall answer since it can just u turn out vs hoopa..

tornt is a decent semi stall answer since it can just u turn out vs hoopa..
I meant the variant with Dark Pulse, Psychic, Drain Punch and Gunk Shot, which OHKOs Torn T after SR with Gunk Shot
Drapion is too niche imo, doesnt give much to a stall team. Currently Sableye is pretty much my only check to Hoopa but it always gets flinched to death by Dark Pulse.

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I meant the variant with Dark Pulse, Psychic, Drain Punch and Gunk Shot, which OHKOs Torn T after SR with Gunk Shot
Drapion is too niche imo, doesnt give much to a stall team. Currently Sableye is pretty much my only check to Hoopa but it always gets flinched to death by Dark Pulse.
msab gets 2hko'd by dpulse and this calc gives tornt only a 50% chance of being OHKO'd as well as the fact that hoopa only has one move that really hits tornt hard, but stall generally has to submit to hoopa whenever you aren't running mandibuzz or drapion, and you can wear away its life orb points by switching in between several different mons that can tank hits from the thing.
160 Atk Life Orb Hoopa Unbound Gunk Shot vs. 96 HP / 0 Def Tornadus-T: 226-266 (69.9 - 82.3%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Chansey handles Focus Blast variants, but beyond that Hoopa-U is super hard for stall to handle tbh. You could try random Colbur Berries, but beyond that there aren't many answers tbh. Scarftar is able to trap it with Pursuit, limiting the damage it can do to the team.

I read somewhere that a glicko of 1760 is the top 2% of ou- is this true of every meta, (ie if i have a glicko of 1760 i can expect to be in the top 2% of NU) or is it different for every meta? Also is there anywhere to access what glicko ratings are different cut offs (ie the top 10% have a glicko of this, 20% this etc)? Is there anywhere that explains this? (In the ratings articles they're more about how the stats actually work, not necessarily their individual application. Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask but i want to understand more and after like an hour of searching had literally no idea where to ask)

I read somewhere that a glicko of 1760 is the top 2% of ou- is this true of every meta, (ie if i have a glicko of 1760 i can expect to be in the top 2% of NU) or is it different for every meta? Also is there anywhere to access what glicko ratings are different cut offs (ie the top 10% have a glicko of this, 20% this etc)? Is there anywhere that explains this? (In the ratings articles they're more about how the stats actually work, not necessarily their individual application. Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask but i want to understand more and after like an hour of searching had literally no idea where to ask)
There's an article explaining the glicko system in general, here: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/weighted-stats-faq.3478570/ (starts talking about Glicko around the graph)

As for your question, no, it is not true for every meta. The rating is purely relative, i.e. how your rating compares against the rankings of others. If the highest-ranking player is 1770 or something around there, then that would be true. However, if the highest-ranking player is, say, 2200, that 1760 glicko suddenly isn't as good of a rating.

As a follow-up, I know we use 1825 (edit: apparently 1695, good catch) stats for official tiering (IIRC that having changed because of the whole Donphan debacle). What degree of quality does that actually correspond to? I was under the impression that it was some kind of intermediate mark, but judging by the things that show up in usage stats that high up, I'm doubting that.

Last edited:
As a follow-up, I know we use 1825 stats for official tiering (IIRC that having changed because of the whole Donphan debacle). What degree of quality does that actually correspond to? I was under the impression that it was some kind of intermediate mark, but judging by the things that show up in usage stats that high up, I'm doubting that.
Yeah, it was changed to 1695 for OU.

Antar manages to take three paragraphs and two graphs in his thread describing why said change happened answering your question. Long story short, it's supposed to strike a balance where people who don't know what they're doing aren't in effect while the people who do know what they're doing are in effect. Any lower and stats show up for people who don't really know what they're doing, or just screwing around. Any higher and it's cutting off some players who do know what they're doing, as well as playing more towards the biases of the smaller sample group.

But the truth is, this is the ladder we're talking about. People will always use stupid stuff, and every now and then someone gets away with it, and it shows on the rankings. There's no real way to truly fix that.

Is double dancing Quagsire viable in OU, and if so, does anyone have replays of it in action? I just got swept by one at around 1500 on the ladder and I'd never seen one used before. The set was something like this, I believe it was fully physically defensive as it took 89% from a LO Psychic from Hoopa.

Literally AIDS (Quagsire) @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Waterfall
- Curse
- Amnesia
- Recover

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Is double dancing Quagsire viable in OU, and if so, does anyone have replays of it in action? I just got swept by one at around 1500 on the ladder and I'd never seen one used before. The set was something like this, I believe it was fully physically defensive as it took 89% from a LO Psychic from Hoopa.

Impish Nature
- Waterfall
- Curse
- Amnesia
- Recover
I mean jpw used it awhile back in a smogtour round with some moderate success. It's not really fantastic and is pretty specific set that can be a bit match up based in this metagame though (it worked a bit better back then due to some trends). Viable is pretty subjective but to myself from what I've seen and when I used it myself it isn't that great.

Impish Nature
- Waterfall
- Curse
- Amnesia
- Recover
It can be easily countered countered by Serperior, NP Celebi, Mega Venusaur, and basically every special attacking grass type ever. I also thing Unaware Clefable beats it too. I'd personally say no too this set, but it seem relatively intriguing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)