Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers MKII (Read the OP First!) (Now with 100% more Rules!!!)

So, I've got the following for a team right now

Toxicroak @ Life Orb
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Drain Punch
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance

Weavile @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Knock Off
- Ice Shard
- Pursuit

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Latios @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Defog

Trying to work out what I can use for the last two members right now, Mega slot included. As of now, my biggest concerns are probably Talonflame, Azumarill, and Serperior.

Any suggestions for other team members? Only rule I have is to keep Toxicroak, as he was the mon I wanted to use in building a team. Anything else is fair game to change

Edit: For context at AM's suggestion, this is just going to be an OU rules tourney. Other players know the rules and play causally, but not too many I'd expect to see trying to high ladder or tours.

I don't generally stick to any one style, but given the mon I want to use is Toxicroak, I imagine Offense or maybe balance is my ideal playstyle.

Last edited:

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
pika pal, azu isn't really a problem to your team as u have rotom w+toxicroak on your team, which is more than enough for offense. Heatran can definetely patch up your concerns about talonflame and serp, especially if you run air balloon for hp ground serp. Then Azumarill could be a really good mon to deal with some offensive mons that threaten you.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
So, I've got the following for a team right now

Toxicroak @ Life Orb
Ability: Dry Skin
Jolly Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Drain Punch
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance

Weavile @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Knock Off
- Ice Shard
- Pursuit

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Latios @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Defog

Trying to work out what I can use for the last two members right now, Mega slot included. As of now, my biggest concerns are probably Talonflame, Azumarill, and Serperior.

Any suggestions for other team members? Only rule I have is to keep Toxicroak, as he was the mon I wanted to use in building a team.
I've only glanced at the comments but what you're asking for is also brings the question what kind of tournament is this? You have the most basic of basic stuff right now but there's not really anything intricate other than the fact Band Azumarill puts a huge hit on your team right now, your speed on Rotom-W lets defensive Lando-T U-Turn out for free. Some of these comments above are nice and all but there pretty big generalization under the rationale of just stuff that people have used but not catering to you specifically. There's a lot of other factors like what you're actually comfortable using, ie not everyone understands the dynamics of using a certain mon, archetype, your opponent in terms of studying his habits along with yours, etc.

If we're going to just go with generalizations barring those factors and with what you have right now by itself (not even a fan of what you have anyways, weak to tons of stuff), a general offensive combo is the M-Manectric/Lando-T core so that your countermeasures to some electrics, with M-Manectric alleviating some issues with TFlame, Torn-T, most flyers, Thundurus (to an obvious extent) and Lando-T to circumvent Zard-X, another check to TFlame, ground immunity, Excadrill is one option. Mega Aerodactyl to maintain offensive pressure against the likes of the Zards while slowing down Lopunny from getting ridicolous, seeing as how a relatively well played one floors you, in tandem with something like Ferrothorn to provide yourself a rocker and legitimate fairy and dragon switch in is an option as well. I'd probably consider bumping up the speed on Rotom-W, M-Aero a simple all out attacker set with Fire Fang (In need of more fire coverage for Ferro, Skarmory, M-Metagross and M-Scizor) Ice Fang (stops you from being Lando-T fodder and using Rotom-W as your only legitimate answer) STAB (for obvious reasons). Not really a simple answer (there's a lot more finer details that can be added) hahaha but there it is.

Hello, I am building a team, and I wanted to put a sunny day venusaur in it (non mega). The thing is I checked smogon stategies, but the only sunnyday venusaur I found was from B/W:

Venusaur @ Black Sludge
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 72 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 180 Spe
Timid Nature
- Sunny Day
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power Fire
- Sleep Powder

I wanted to know if this is still a viable option in oras OU, or if there are better evs/natures/items for this venusaur, if it is still viable.
I like this set, but I'm wondering if it would be better to make it more bulky. Any help would be apreciated, as I'm new to the battling.

Hello, I am building a team, and I wanted to put a sunny day venusaur in it (non mega). The thing is I checked smogon stategies, but the only sunnyday venusaur I found was from B/W:

Venusaur @ Black Sludge
EVs: 72 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 180 Spe
Timid Nature
- Sunny Day
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power Fire
- Sleep Powder

I wanted to know if this is still a viable option in oras OU, or if there are better evs/natures/items for this venusaur, if it is still viable.
I like this set, but I'm wondering if it would be better to make it more bulky. Any help would be apreciated, as I'm new to the battling.
If you want to use Chlorophyll Venusaur it's be best to pair it up with Mega Charizard Y because it offers instant sun to take advantage of.

In terms of a set mixed LO is the way to go.
Venusaur @ Life Orb
EVs: 76 HP / 252 SpA / 180 Spe OR 76 Atk / 252 SpA / 180 Spe
Timid / Hasty Nature
- Growth
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power Fire
- Sleep Powder / Sludge Bomb / Earthquake

This set capitalizes on it's offensive capabilities. If you want the mixed set run EQ with the Second Spread and a Hasty Nature. If you want to utilize Sleep Power run the first spread and of course run Sleep Powder. The speed allows you to outrun all relevant scarfers in OU while maximizing attack power. Sludge Bomb however is a solid option to defeat Fairies, but considering what you pair it with the last slot is very team dependent.

Last edited:
If you want to use Chlorophyll Venusaur it's be best to pair it up with Mega Charizard Y because it offers instant sun to take advantage of.

In terms of a set mixed LO is the way to go.
Venusaur @ Life Orb
EVs: 76 HP / 252 SpA / 180 Spe OR 76 Atk / 252 SpA / 180 Spe
Timid / Hasty Nature
- Growth
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power Fire
- Sleep Powder / Sludge Bomb / Earthquake

This set capitalizes on it's offensive capabilities. If you want the mixed set run EQ with the Second Spread and a Hasty Nature. If you want to utilize Sleep Power run the first spread and of course run Sleep Powder. The speed allows you to outrun all relevant scarfers in OU while maximizing attack power. Sludge Bomb however is a solid option to defeat Fairies, but considering what you pair it with the last slot is very team dependent.
Oh, then I will have to put charizard in my team, and about the moves, I think i prefer sleep powder, as I can still defeat fairies with hp fire (I know its not the same damage, but its effective too).

Oh, then I will have to put charizard in my team, and about the moves, I think i prefer sleep powder, as I can still defeat fairies with hp fire (I know its not the same damage, but its effective too).
Nah HP Fire isn't SE against Faires, only Steel and Poison. After a Growth however, Giga Drain can put a sizable dent in most of them anyway, barring Unaware Clefable.

Nah HP Fire isn't SE against Faires, only Steel and Poison. After a Growth however, Giga Drain can put a sizable dent in most of them anyway, barring Unaware Clefable.
Oh, you are right, I messed up, fire is resistant, but not effective, but I would still use that set xD, sleep powder can become very handy.

Does this rhyperior do well in OU? I want to give it a chance on my team :P
Rhyperior @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 212 HP / 44 Atk / 252 Def
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Swords dance/substitute/ice punch

also any idea of pokemon with sinergy would be apreciated, I was thinking of a sand stream tyranitar with substitute rhyperior.

Does this rhyperior do well in OU? I want to give it a chance on my team :P
Rhyperior @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 212 HP / 44 Atk / 252 Def
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Swords dance/substitute/ice punch

also any idea of pokemon with sinergy would be apreciated, I was thinking of a sand stream tyranitar with substitute rhyperior.
Well, off the top of my head Serperior and lati@s could do pretty well. so could Zapdos and Thundy-t. Also, apparently sap sipper azu is a thing now too, if you wanna try that lol. M-venusaur would be good too.

Well, off the top of my head Serperior and lati@s could do pretty well. so could Zapdos and Thundy-t. Also, apparently sap sipper azu is a thing now too, if you wanna try that lol. M-venusaur would be good too.
Ok, thanks a lot, and would you mind giving me some advice on the possible sets for M-venusaur and Latios??, I'm just starting competitively, sorry for bothering xD

Ok, thanks a lot, and would you mind giving me some advice on the possible sets for M-venusaur and Latios??, I'm just starting competitively, sorry for bothering xD
Here's venusaur
Venusaur @ Venusaurite
EVs: 248 HP / 96 Def / 144 SpD / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis
- Hidden Power Fire

and here's latios
Latios @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power Fire
- Roost

Though i won't be on much today due to studying for finals, i'm happy to help. Feel free to PM me or one of the team raters if you need further assistance!

Here's venusaur
Venusaur @ Venusaurite
EVs: 248 HP / 96 Def / 144 SpD / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis
- Hidden Power Fire

and here's latios
Latios @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power Fire
- Roost

Though i won't be on much today due to studying for finals, i'm happy to help. Feel free to PM me or one of the team raters if you need further assistance!
thanks a lot, I'll pm you if i need help to build my team then :3, thanks again

Will it be an egg move? That Sableye only comes keen eye or stall so if it's not breedable to pass on the move I can't see it being a problem. If it is... o_O

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)