Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Name an OU viable Normal type that you would rather hit with BB rather than a Flare Blitz or DClaw. Ice already gets bopped by Flare Blitz/FPunch. Literally the only Dark Type I'd rather hit with BB is T-tar.
Bisharp, Porygon, Chansey, Diggersby, pretty much anything because I wanna save my recoil damage for when I need to break walls like Ferro or Clefable.

Bisharp, Porygon, Chansey, Diggersby, pretty much anything because I wanna save my recoil damage for when I need to break walls like Ferro or Clefable.
If you want to save health, there's this lovely little move called Roost. All of those bar maybe P2 which is not worth wasting a moveslot for are taken care of by your dual STAB.

Not the point, what I'm saying is, EQ < Brick Break since the main reason people even run EQ is for Heatran checks, and getting hit by Earth Power because you have to use Dclaw before EQ puts you in an unfavorable situation that running Brick Break does not.
No one runs EQ to hit AzumarrilI or Alteria, and no one ever said they did. If you wanna hit either of those guys, Thunder Punch has a shitton of BP thanks to ToughClaw and super effective hit, and there's always some form of steel coverage like Iron Tail or Steel Wing. All of these moves benefit from Tough Claws, but hit less relevant enemies.

Tl;dr Brick Break does EQs job better than EQ.

I need help building a rain team with mega swampert, specs tornadus, and politoed on it, and an ev spread for a dragon dance/roost/frustration/earthquake bulky mega altaria

I need help building a rain team with mega swampert, specs tornadus, and politoed on it, and an ev spread for a dragon dance/roost/frustration/earthquake bulky mega altaria
For Altaria, check out the Altaria thread. There are a couple of move sets in the OP, and there are conversations with other people that might help you make a set.
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/altaria.3520722/
For the rain team, Ferrothorn and Scizor are great on teams like that. Kingdra also works as a Swift Swim sweeper, and Kabutops is another option. I don't want to clutter up this thread with EV spreads and stuff, so feel free to PM (Personal Message) me if you want to continue on with this conversation and build a better team.
Welcome to Smogon!

Not the point, what I'm saying is, EQ < Brick Break since the main reason people even run EQ is for Heatran checks, and getting hit by Earth Power because you have to use Dclaw before EQ puts you in an unfavorable situation that running Brick Break does not.
No one runs EQ to hit AzumarrilI or Alteria, and no one ever said they did. If you wanna hit either of those guys, Thunder Punch has a shitton of BP thanks to ToughClaw and super effective hit, and there's always some form of steel coverage like Iron Tail or Steel Wing. All of these moves benefit from Tough Claws, but hit less relevant enemies.

Tl;dr Brick Break does EQs job better than EQ.
Assuming you're running 252 Speed (really the only spread for DD 3 Attacks), you will never have the opportunity to be hit by Earth Power unless it's ScarfTran, who can't switch into Earthquake in the first place. Moreover, even if you end up in a 1v1 with an offensive Heatran with an unpopped Air Balloon (seriously? how do you manage to not pop it before a sweep?), you'd still get hit by EP because Brick Break doesn't even OHKO

252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Brick Break vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 228-270 (70.5 - 83.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

And no, no one runs EQ for Azumarill and Altaria because there's this nifty move called Roost that's absolutely fantastic, and outclasses any sort of coverage that ZardX could want to run, barring team specific scenarios. You asked for things that EQ hits harder than BB, I obliged you. It doesn't really matter if people use it specifically for that, it's still something that it does.

Also, love how you can say that no one runs EQ for MAltaria and Azumarill and then bring up fucking Steel Wing as an alternative -_-

silver97

GUNDELEROS WE DO THE PATTO DI SANGUE
But lol we are basing the discussion on bb>eq because it hits balloon tran, which is rather situational and suboptimal compared to leftovers and as blacklight said if you in some way manage to end up 1v1 vs an unpopped balloon tran you still need the same amount of turns to kill it

Why tf would so much strife be caused just to choose between bb and eq, literally the only relevant thing that brick break makes a difference to is tyranitar lol. W/e

If i were to use a sub cm set for one of the mega latis, which one would be more optimal? I'm leaning towards latias, but not too sure.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Why tf would so much strife be caused just to choose between bb and eq, literally the only relevant thing that brick break makes a difference to is tyranitar lol. W/e

If i were to use a sub cm set for one of the mega latis, which one would be more optimal? I'm leaning towards latias, but not too sure.
Latias for sure, no question about it.

Assuming you're running 252 Speed (really the only spread for DD 3 Attacks), you will never have the opportunity to be hit by Earth Power unless it's ScarfTran, who can't switch into Earthquake in the first place. Moreover, even if you end up in a 1v1 with an offensive Heatran with an unpopped Air Balloon (seriously? how do you manage to not pop it before a sweep?), you'd still get hit by EP because Brick Break doesn't even OHKO

252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Brick Break vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 228-270 (70.5 - 83.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

And no, no one runs EQ for Azumarill and Altaria because there's this nifty move called Roost that's absolutely fantastic, and outclasses any sort of coverage that ZardX could want to run, barring team specific scenarios. You asked for things that EQ hits harder than BB, I obliged you. It doesn't really matter if people use it specifically for that, it's still something that it does.

Also, love how you can say that no one runs EQ for MAltaria and Azumarill and then bring up fucking Steel Wing as an alternative -_-
BB has just as much coverage as EQ and turns I spend roosting I could instead be killing something either with the Flare Blitz that I saved myself from using prior, or with one of my other coverage moves.

I didn't call Steel Wing an alternative, clearly you either didn't read my post or missed my point. That coverage move isn't there for those mons, BB vs EQ comes down to what hits more things in the meta, and considering you're probably going to be at +1 anyway, you can ohko almost everything that you could ohko with EQ by using BB. Those other moves only exist for niche matchups like the ones listed.
Did I say that roost wasn't the better choice? Ever? In any point of the discussion?
All I was saying was instead of running EQ as a coverage move on ZardX, run BB because in that 1 game out of 10 it will be the better choice.

What is the set for Sub-CM Mega Latias, I remember seeing it somewhere but I can't seem to find it?
I believe this is the set. You can run more bulk and less speed if you'd like.

Latias (F) @ Latiasite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 96 Def / 160 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Roost
- Stored Power

Alright master_marshmallow I know that Brick Break may be beneficial in some aspects, but ultimately Earthquake is better due to the power difference, though slight, that allows it to come through in clutch situations where it needs to knock that 1% of that Azumarrill. Speaking of Fairies, if Brick Break is run Azu completely walls it. Pick whichever you prefer, but in practice Earthquake is generally the better option.

My question: Since M-Salamence is banned, is it's regular form still usable in the lower tiers, or was it banned as a whole?

Last edited:
I've heard that Synchronize works a bit differently now. Is it a 100% rate? What about for legendary Pokes?

Thanks!

BB has just as much coverage as EQ and turns I spend roosting I could instead be killing something either with the Flare Blitz that I saved myself from using prior, or with one of my other coverage moves.

I didn't call Steel Wing an alternative, clearly you either didn't read my post or missed my point. That coverage move isn't there for those mons, BB vs EQ comes down to what hits more things in the meta, and considering you're probably going to be at +1 anyway, you can ohko almost everything that you could ohko with EQ by using BB. Those other moves only exist for niche matchups like the ones listed.
Did I say that roost wasn't the better choice? Ever? In any point of the discussion?
All I was saying was instead of running EQ as a coverage move on ZardX, run BB because in that 1 game out of 10 it will be the better choice.
As an avid Mega Charizard X user, I can confidently say choose Roost over both Earthquake or BB, build around Mega Charizard X to take out its walls. Mega Charizard X needs little help, hence its 'S ranking' but as for the little help it DOES need, a simple steel type (such as Excadrill) will help out with its walls. If I had to pick either BB or Earthquake, I'd choose Earthquake because it hits everything a little harder. If you want to destroy Heatran, KO it before Megazard X is sent out, don't take chances. Having a Mega Charizard X means having one of the most versatile Pokémon around, and simply put, it is one of, if not THE best Dragon Dancer in the meta. You don't want it KO'd, just don't risk it.
Flare Blitz
Dragon Claw
Dragon Dance
Roost
Edit: Mega Charizard X definitely needs rock support in the form of a defog or rapid spinner. Excadrill is preferred due to its typing which takes care of most of Megazard X's walls such as Heatran and Mega Altaria. Thanks for the reminder Kurona

Last edited:
As an avid Mega Charizard X user, I can confidently say choose Roost over both Earthquake or BB, build around Mega Charizard X to take out its walls. Mega Charizard X needs little help, hence its 'S ranking' but as for the little help it DOES need, a simple steel type (such as Excadrill) will help out with its walls. If I had to pick either BB or Earthquake, I'd choose Earthquake because it hits everything a little harder. If you want to destroy Heatran, KO it before Megazard X is sent out, don't take chances. Having a Mega Charizard X means having one of the most versatile Pokémon around, and simply put, it is one of, if not THE best Dragon Dancer in the meta. You don't want it KO'd, just don't risk it.
Flare Blitz
Dragon Claw
Dragon Dance
Roost
If you're talking about support Charizard needs, you should definitely mention a spinner or defogger to get rid of Rocks. You alluded to it a little by choosing Excadrill, but you should still state it as it is probably the most important part of supporting 'zard.

Where I come from, we call this a strawman.
The point I was attempting, but obviously failed, to convey, was that yes 1 time out of 10 Brick Brick might prove to be more beneficial than Earthquake, but those other 9 times Earthquake (or the dd 2 attacks set) will prove to be the better option(s). The whole point of team building, or making a set, is to put something together that will work most of the time, and we can safely assume that 9 times out of 10 is most of the time. Nothing can work best all of the time, thus we have different options, but there are some options that work best more often than others (i.e using Earthquake over Brick Break.) The only thing that Brick Break makes an important difference to is Tyranitar, which is all fine and dandy, but going back to the options, you can only make one, and for pretty much every other situation, Earthquake is better. The opportunity cost of using Earthquake is being able to kill Tyranitar, but the opportunity cost of using Brick Break is that bit of extra damage against pretty much every other grounded pokemon. And if that bit of extra damage is unimportant, then why do we bother using things like hazards, which essentially achieve the exact same affect?

Where do I request a suspect test on the site/board? According to your YMMV page on tvtropes, you seem to have an...affinity for Stall (and specifically Chansey and Blissey) Though I acknowledged the controversy inherent of such a test were this allegation be true I still think it would be fair to take a look at these two pokemon.

Where do I request a suspect test on the site/board? According to your YMMV page on tvtropes, you seem to have an...affinity for Stall (and specifically Chansey and Blissey) Though I acknowledged the controversy inherent of such a test were this allegation be true I still think it would be fair to take a look at these two pokemon.
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but only mods and above make suspect tests.

Also Chansey and Blissey aren't broken, and if anything got worse from XY to ORAS with the addition of many new physical attackers while Chansey/Blissey gained nothing. Using YMMV (which is an opinion based page, mind you) as evidence is pretty weak.

silver97

GUNDELEROS WE DO THE PATTO DI SANGUE
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but only mods and above make suspect tests
The council decides wether a thing should be suspected or not.
Really pls, chansey? Man they are so passive that you can't use them in any playstyle but stall and is so easy to pressure them with all the hard hitters of this meta.

The point I was attempting, but obviously failed, to convey, was that yes 1 time out of 10 Brick Brick might prove to be more beneficial than Earthquake, but those other 9 times Earthquake (or the dd 2 attacks set) will prove to be the better option(s). The whole point of team building, or making a set, is to put something together that will work most of the time, and we can safely assume that 9 times out of 10 is most of the time. Nothing can work best all of the time, thus we have different options, but there are some options that work best more often than others (i.e using Earthquake over Brick Break.) The only thing that Brick Break makes an important difference to is Tyranitar, which is all fine and dandy, but going back to the options, you can only make one, and for pretty much every other situation, Earthquake is better. The opportunity cost of using Earthquake is being able to kill Tyranitar, but the opportunity cost of using Brick Break is that bit of extra damage against pretty much every other grounded pokemon. And if that bit of extra damage is unimportant, then why do we bother using things like hazards, which essentially achieve the exact same affect?
Well, since the only hazard I believe in is Stealth Rock, I'd say that's the difference in our play style. I like having an out to multiple walls without wasting a turn on Roost and giving my opponent free set up.

Well, since the only hazard I believe in is Stealth Rock, I'd say that's the difference in our play style. I like having an out to multiple walls without wasting a turn on Roost and giving my opponent free set up.
In this current meta Roost is a necessity. You should really build a team around Megazard X if you want to run Earthquake. Roost will grant you longevity, ask anybody and it is the superior option, especially in this current meta with the Speed creep.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 9)