Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it's ingame that is fine but normally you would have hidden power ice or hidden power flying over either thunder wave or nasty plot in most scenarios. It's usually tbolt, hpice, focus blast, thunder wave or tbolt, hp flying, nasty plot, thunder wave with leftovers on that last set. tbolt, hpice, focus blast, nasty plot is another one that sees limited use but is still effective as well.
I was trying to find a way around hp ice because i don't want to SR for it and Focus blast seems like it covers thundurus' weaknesses, thank you!

P
I was trying to find a way around hp ice because i don't want to SR for it and Focus blast seems like it covers thundurus' weaknesses, thank you!
Pooooweeer saaaaveees. Focus blast is there to hit Bisharp, Tyranitar, Ferro, Heatran, and other Steel types that can take your T-bolts.

Just to clarify, a defensive core on a balance team is just a couple of bulky mons with good type synergy that aren't passive, right?

Anyway, who do you think is the best M-Sableye killer for balance: Unaware Clefable, Specs Sylveon, or TG Manaphy? (If it depends on your other members then sorry i asked this lel)

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Just to clarify, a defensive core on a balance team is just a couple of bulky mons with good type synergy that aren't passive, right?

Anyway, who do you think is the best M-Sableye killer for balance: Unaware Clefable, Specs Sylveon, or TG Manaphy? (If it depends on your other members then sorry i asked this lel)
Yeah sort of depends on members tbh. All of those work though.

What's a strong set up sweeper (not speed boosting alongside the attack stat) with a base speed of 100 or less and who counters Bullet Seed/Mach Punch/Rock Tomb Technician Breloom variants plus doesn't need an item to effective, preferably with some sort of strong/STAB priority?

I've been trying to round off my Trick Room team for a while, but sashed Breloom leads present a constant issue as low speed obviously makes you Spore bait. I've tried various grass types, Sap Sippers and Overcoat users to plug this issue - but they're all a bit lacklustre (see the hide tags at the bottom for what I've tried so far) - but then I remembered Safety Goggles are a thing and would be completely unexpected to a Breloom user, maybe even allowing me to grab some momentum off a switch if I have good enough power, bulk and coverage. Once Breloom has switched it's not half as much of a problem, I have two Stealth Rockers so I more often then not break sashes and Breloom isn't very scary under Trick Room with its low bulk.

Any ideas, and preferably not a grass type unless you have a strong argument? Swords Dance Doublade was my first thought, but Shadow Sneak even at +2 is quite weak, I guess maybe Scizor could be another prospect. What I'm really missing is another strong priority user (apart from Azumarill) who can clean late game without needing Trick Room.

My current team, for background:

Uxie max HP and Def Trick Room/Memento/Magic Coat/Stealth Rock, Azumarill max Atk and HP Aqua Jet/Waterfall/Knock Off/Belly Drum, Ursaring with Toxic Orb + Guts max HP and Atk Swords Dance/Facade/Fire Punch/Play Rough (reasonable at handling M-Sableye, Unaware Clefable and Skarmory if you were wondering), Mega Gardevoir max HP and SAtk Trick Room/Hyper Voice/Memento/Healing Wish (to hit behind subs, plus doesn't gain much from additional coverage - maybe a little unconventional but outspeeds in Trick Room invested base 60s which is still pretty good), Mew max HP and Def Trick Room/Stealth Rock/Explosion/Foul Play.

Options I've tried for my last team slot:

Belly Drum Chesnaught - a passible wall breaker under Trick Room and can recover health with Drain Punch but poor special bulk, no priority and an undesirable x4 Flying Weakness; Escavalier - chance for 3HKO by Breloom with max Atk and HP but you can only 2HKO and you would need to switch in, lack of priority and an unreliable STAB in Megahorn with X-Scissor not packing the same punch; Goodra - capable of running mixed sets but poor physical bulk and not much of a cleaner; Bouffalant - able to switch in on Spore with Sap Sipper and do heavy damage with Head Smash or Zen Headbutt, and then I can phaze with a switch in to a Red Card user, but I take heavy damage and again the bulk isn't great; Celebi - but the switch is obvious and if I were to use Celebi I would want Healing Wish/Stealth Rock/Trick Room, meaning I'd have to run psychic coverage or hope that mind games alone would do the trick, and the x4 Bug weakness really sucks.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Working on a team based around the core of Mega Metagross and LO Hydreigon, which seems will have good success in the greninja-less metagame. What would be a good teammate that appreciates Clefable being lured in? (2HKOed by Flash Cannon). I know stuff like Latios and maybe a CM or Nasty Plot electric would work, just curious as to what others think.

Can the Mega Metagross hype banish it to the ubers?

I seriously loved Metagross ever since Ruby&Sapphire were released.. it would be a shame to lose my favorite toy :(

Can the Mega Metagross hype banish it to the ubers?

I seriously loved Metagross ever since Ruby&Sapphire were released.. it would be a shame to lose my favorite toy :(
Hype alone can't ban a Pokemon. It's insane base stats, movepool, typing, overcentralization and general uncompetitiveness, however can. I wouldn't be surprised to see a Metagrossite suspect in the near future.

Sigh, that would be a shame :(

It would obviously be trash in ubers.
No, it still holds niches there -- hell, everything banned to Ubers so far (aside from Deoxys-N but lol who cares) has at least some viability in the tier, even Greninja. The only two things people are thinking are ban-worthy here - Mega Sableye and Mega Metagross - have use in Ubers, so don't worry about that.
And even then there's a lot of argument over whether or not Metagrossite and Sablenite are broken, and the general argument right now is that we should wait until we've adjusted to a Greninja-Less meta (if it comes tomorrow) to see if they're broken or not.

Sigh, that would be a shame :(

It would obviously be trash in ubers.
It's actually sitting at B in Ubers, so it's not necessarily trash. That being said, a suspect doesn't mean that it'll be banned. At the very least, last generation there were at least 3 mons that were suspected, but not banned. Also don't forget that at the beginning of XY many seriously believed that Charizard needed a suspect, and now if you were to suggest it you'd probably be laughed at.

Edit: Ninjask'd

Working on a team based around the core of Mega Metagross and LO Hydreigon, which seems will have good success in the greninja-less metagame. What would be a good teammate that appreciates Clefable being lured in? (2HKOed by Flash Cannon). I know stuff like Latios and maybe a CM or Nasty Plot electric would work, just curious as to what others think.
Non specs keldeo appreciates clefable gone, as well as garchomp (isn't pressured to predict clef switch and go for eq), non poison job conkeldurr, non lo thundurus, and terrakion. And lati@s, like you mentioned.

How does Guts work in conjunction with burns?

Do the two cancel each other out, or does one negate the other?
Guts applies even when burned and the attack drop from the burn does not occur, so all physical attacks with Guts whilst burned are x1.5 damage.

EDIT: Ninja'd.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
First of all, give Hydra U-turn and possibly leftovers. I tried this core out (Megagross+Leftovers Hydra) Go for U-turn as you predict Clefable. Works very well for me.
No, Hydreigon needs Life Orb to hit as hard as possible, and having U-turn is not useful on the non-choice scarf set.
Please be less assertive and dont tell me what to do with Hydreigon, I wrote the OU analysis for it - I know what I'm doing.

Edit: Saying "First off all, do this" is 100% assertive. I dont know what your definition is, but telling people what to do is not just a suggestion.

Last edited:
boltsandbombers in response to your question, wallbreaker Thundurus is walled by Clefable, but not much else. Latios, Weavile, Breloom, Heracross and CB Dragonite all seem to do better without Clef on the other team as well, as it allows them to spam their best attacks (Draco Meteor, Knock Off, Fighting stuff, any DNite attack) more without having to worry about Clef eating it. Also, Keldeo would be a good fit as it pairs really well with Metagross.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
boltsandbombers in response to your question, wallbreaker Thundurus is walled by Clefable, but not much else. Latios, Weavile, Breloom, Heracross and CB Dragonite all seem to do better without Clef on the other team as well, as it allows them to spam their best attacks (Draco Meteor, Knock Off, Fighting stuff, any DNite attack) more without having to worry about Clef eating it. Also, Keldeo would be a good fit as it pairs really well with Metagross.
By wallbreaker are you referring to the defiant 4 attacks set or just Prankster Twave / Tbolt / HP Ice / Knock Off set? Anyways, thanks for the response - appreciate it.

By wallbreaker are you referring to the defiant 4 attacks set or just Prankster Twave / Tbolt / HP Ice / Knock Off set? Anyways, thanks for the response - appreciate it.
Wallbreaker, at least for me, is TBolt / Knock Off / Superpower / [HP Ice or HP Flying] with a Life Orb, and 76 Atk / 180 SpA / 252 Spe or whatever the spread is in the dex.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 8)