Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you knockoff a weakness policy and the move is super effective, does the weakness policy activate before being removed?

Also is there a list of all the moves Safety Googles can block?

I still need an answer for Alomomola with Regenerator in this gen. for my second X team, I am using either her with Wish, or Lapras on my team on Goodra, Gourgeist, Meowstic, Nidoqueen, and Mega mawile. I do like Alomomola due to the giant wishes, but the best ability for her is regenerator. Any way to get her hidden ability this gen, or do I need to wait for pokebank?

I still need an answer for Alomomola with Regenerator in this gen. for my second X team, I am using either her with Wish, or Lapras on my team on Goodra, Gourgeist, Meowstic, Nidoqueen, and Mega mawile. I do like Alomomola due to the giant wishes, but the best ability for her is regenerator. Any way to get her hidden ability this gen, or do I need to wait for pokebank?
Pokebank. Next time you want to find out if a HA is available, just search on Serebii if you can get it from a friend safari by going to its Pokedex page.

Can anyone give an approximation of when we will start official tiering now that the initial banlist is out or are we just going to wait until Pokebank comes out?

Pokebank. Next time you want to find out if a HA is available, just search on Serebii if you can get it from a friend safari by going to its Pokedex page.

Can anyone give an approximation of when we will start official tiering now that the initial banlist is out or are we just going to wait until Pokebank comes out?
Well, I looked on Serebii, but was curious how they new Alomomola kept it's ability. Some other pokemons hidden ability has been changed, so I thought maybe they cought one and saw. I just wanted all my bases covered.

I am going to say it would be best to wait till pokebank is out, because the list would most likely drastically change once the bank is out and we discover new moves, abilities, and typings.

Hi i wanted to find someone to trade me a diggersby(or bunnelby) with the hidden ability, dosent matter level, stats or nature really. My fc is 1521-3741-1939. Is there a easy way to find someone to trade with? A special forum for traders or something?

Hi i wanted to find someone to trade me a diggersby(or bunnelby) with the hidden ability, dosent matter level, stats or nature really. My fc is 1521-3741-1939. Is there a easy way to find someone to trade with? A special forum for traders or something?
I have Diggserbies, can trade you one, pm me :).

Does anyone know if there will be elemental punches in pokemon x and y?

Heard some things about a dlc that will give us tutors some time, but i'm not sure though.

Thanks in advance ;)

Does whirlwind have much competitive use?

I was running RockSlide/BulkUp/BraveBird/Superpower Braviary in Black and White, wondered if I should repeat this but considering whirlwind for those annoying swords dance etc. spamming teams. Or maybe Defog even but as if spikes are a concern, its more those silly screens.

Last edited:
Does whirlwind have much competitive use?

I was running RockSlide/BulkUp/BraveBird/Superpower Braviary in Black and White, wondered if I should repeat this but considering whirlwind for those annoying swords dance etc. spamming teams. Or maybe Defog even but as if spikes are a concern, its more those silly screens.
Whirlwind is nice to help throw out pokemon who like to set up, or who could easily set up on you, and also to get residual damage on certain pokemon when you have entry hazards up. I believe whirlwind has it's effectiveness in competitive uses.

Looks like Sheer Force + Life Orb doesn't work anymore, a shame.

EDIT: Thats what I thought, thanks, but I don't know if I want to drop Superpower. Rock slide and brave bird is going to be absorbed by any rock or steel type.

Looks like Sheer Force + Life Orb doesn't work anymore, a shame.

EDIT: Thats what I thought, thanks, but I don't know if I want to drop Superpower. Rock slide and brave bird is going to be absorbed by any rock or steel type.
Srsly? Aw damn, I was planning to do that with my Nidoqueen.... you sure it doesn't?

Well, I suppose i can still use it, but I would need wish support for healing.

Srsly? Aw damn, I was planning to do that with my Nidoqueen.... you sure it doesn't?

Well, I suppose i can still use it, but I would need wish support for healing.
"Braviary used Brave Bird!"
"Braviary is hurt by recoil."
"Braviary lost some of its HP."

Oddly using air slash does NOT initiate Life Orb damage? EDIT: Superpower does initiate damage.

Last edited:

Oddly using air slash does NOT initiate Life Orb damage?
Really? We were going to ask about Sheer Force because we have heard it "does not work" anymore, whatever it means.

For reference, Brave Bird has never been affected by Sheer Force because it lacks secondary effects. Air Slash is, but does not cause flinching anymore.
In BW, Air Slash would be boosted by Sheer Force on the top of a Life Orb without recoil. Brave Bird would not be boosted by Sheer Force and it still suffers Life Orb recoil.

So, does anyone have run some calcs on that? Our question is if Life Orb and Sheer Force still stack.

Oddly using air slash does NOT initiate Life Orb damage? EDIT: Superpower does initiate damage.
Oh... so it initiates if you use an attack that already gives recoil, or lowers your stats. But it doesn't if it has a positive side effect?

Is there any banlists yet? What are the eligible pokemon, banned pokemon, and are there any XY strategy done yet for the new monsters?

Are the mechanics of power split different this gen? In showdown, the opponent's pokemon's attack drop seems to stay even if your pokemon who used power split switches out.

Hey people, my brother and I did a metronome battle, and what kind of amazing fire move was that? (It is 1. turn)

JYMG-WWWW-WWW2-D7QJ

It is called Flammenball in German and burns everything (and amazing animation)

Edit: omg did I finally got the password right of my old account? Wow. Didn't expected that.

Hey people, my brother and I did a metronome battle, and what kind of amazing fire move was that? (It is 1. turn)

JYMG-WWWW-WWW2-D7QJ

Edit: omg did I finally got the password right of my old account? Wow. Didn't expected that.
If I had to guess, maybe inferno? Can't access bulbapedia atm.

JYMG-WWWW-WWW2-D7QJ

'Flammenball' is Searing Shot, one of Victini's signature move. It is basicly a better Lava Plume and covers the whole field in Doubles and Triples.

Is there a way I can learn the basics of competitive battle without actually embarrassing myself in front of real people?

Also on a percentage based scale how necessary is it to have all IVs at a value of 31? Like I caught a Klefki that's 31/31/31/16/29/31 with a beneficial nature in the friend safari and I cba breeding. Would that be okay?

Oh and will Froslass be banned this gen? I want to use her but I dunno if it's worth the trouble of breeding/grinding Friend Safari for good IVs.

Is there a way I can learn the basics of competitive battle without actually embarrassing myself in front of real people?

Also on a percentage based scale how necessary is it to have all IVs at a value of 31? Like I caught a Klefki that's 31/31/31/16/29/31 with a beneficial nature in the friend safari and I cba breeding. Would that be okay?

Oh and will Froslass be banned this gen? I want to use her but I dunno if it's worth the trouble of breeding/grinding Friend Safari for good IVs.
1. Smogon has several guides, although I don't have links handy.
2. 100/100% imo very important, although that klefki has nearly flawless in the stats it needs.
3. There is no way froslass could be banned to ubers or at all. Underused at best, so legal in the official wifi tiering.

You probably want to take a look at Smogon's tutoring program, Battling 101. They will do sign-ups tomorrow, so if you are interested and motivated, you might want to take a look. They do not have tutors for Doubles and XY, but it is still a good place to start.

We are not sure what you mean with 'percentage based scale', but it depends on how you use your monster. For general bulk, 3 points will not kill you but for a frail monster, you need to survive and KOs certain other threats.
What you sould always have 31 IVs on is speed, except for Trick Room attacker where 0 is necessary. Every move can make an impact, even on defensive monsters like taunting faster, encore, WoW.
But assuming you are lucky enough to catch such a Klefki, it is not difficult in XY to take care of the last imperfect stat if you know that the Destiny Knot now guarantees five IVs to be taken over, especially combined with the Friend Safari.

That won't happen. You just need to watch out: Smogon does not allow Snow Cloak or any evasion based move, item, ability. Snow Cloak is still legal in VGC, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)