Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So far, iirc, I've seen only one pursuit trapper run in conjunction with Mega Charizard Y, which was TTar. (noobly to begin with, weather clash much?)
Minor point, but TTar makes a good partner to Zard-Y (ignoring the rest of the team for now), since every time TTar comes in, Zard-Y's Sun turns can be reset on its switch-ins.

Ok back to my question on why Jirachi isn't banned. I still don't get it. I know it is weak to Dark, Fire, Ghost, Ground, and that electric types block paralysis, but 100/100/100 is way too bulky to Ohko. That means no matter what, you are getting paralyzed by thunderstorm. If you bring in an electric type, you still have to make it passed the flinches and physical hits wearing you down.

Are Excadrill, Garchomp and Mega Man the only reliable counters? Nothing else can hit back hard enough to v get through subs and wishes
List of counters/checks:

Excadrill
Garchomp
Landorus
Landorus-T
Char X
Char Y
Bisharp (sucker punch makes t-wave irrelevant, save for full paras)
Mega Gyarados
Mega Mawile
Mega Pinsir
Gengar
Talonflame
Heatran
Rotom-W (Mainly deals with paraflinch sets)
Rotom-H (Same as W but hits Jirachi much harder)
Skarmory (whirlwind)
Anything with Taunt for the more stally sets
Anything with Knock Off

There's just too much that can stop Jirachi this gen for it to be anywhere near broken, especially if you pack a cleric to recover from para when you're done taking it down.

Why efforting Ditto anything else than HP, if it becomes a carbon copy of the other Pokémon? Is there any reason for doing that? I mean, Does Ditto also copy the EVs of the opposing Pokémon?

Why efforting Ditto anything else than HP, if it becomes a carbon copy of the other Pokémon? Is there any reason for doing that? I mean, Does Ditto also copy the EVs of the opposing Pokémon?
Ditto does indeed copy the foe's ev's, but ev'ing Ditto is meant to give you a better chance of wining Ditto v Ditto fights, and I think another reason, it that slips my mind ATM.

List of counters/checks:

Excadrill
Garchomp
Landorus
Landorus-T
Char X
Char Y
Bisharp (sucker punch makes t-wave irrelevant, save for full paras)
Mega Gyarados
Mega Mawile
Mega Pinsir
Gengar
Talonflame
Heatran
Rotom-W (Mainly deals with paraflinch sets)
Rotom-H (Same as W but hits Jirachi much harder)
Skarmory (whirlwind)
Anything with Taunt for the more stally sets
Anything with Knock Off

There's just too much that can stop Jirachi this gen for it to be anywhere near broken, especially if you pack a cleric to recover from para when you're done taking it down.
Wait, does Sucker Punch always work even if paralyzed?

And that entire list is great except that anything that isn't ground will get paralyzed and give Jirachi a chance to paraflinching you to death since It outspeeds a majority of them. I currently have Gengar who cannot Ohko with shadow ball and cannot keep subs up because iron head breaks them. I also have Bisharp who gets paralyzed and becomes a liability.

Do I really need to carry a cleric on top of a counter to handle one pokemon?

EDIT: that's all I could find. Sorry if I missed out anything!
Thanks for the input. It just really sucks that I keep having to redo my entire team because of one pokemon. Zard, rotom, Lando, keldo, Heatran, now Jirachi. This game is becoming really matchup dependent :/ I already have pokemon that fill the roles that mandibuzz and lando do and now I have to remake my team for this one pokemon. There's so little room for creativity, the higher up I go in the ranks, the more I'm forced to use the exact same teams as everyone else.

Last edited:

CyclicCompound

is a bicycle person thing
is a Contributor Alumnus
Wait, does Sucker Punch always work even if paralyzed?
Yes.
Just a question, what makes Azelf unviable in the OU metagame right now?
It faces a lot of competition from better attackers in OU. Unlike Pokemon in a similar speed tier like Terrakion, Keldeo, Latios, Latias, and Greninja, Azelf doesn't have any notable niches other than its speed that lets it stand out from the rest of the attackers there, and it also has poor defenses and a poor typing that make it hard to utilize.

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Yes.

It faces a lot of competition from better attackers in OU. Unlike Pokemon in a similar speed tier like Terrakion, Keldeo, Latios, Latias, and Greninja, Azelf doesn't have any notable niches other than its speed that lets it stand out from the rest of the attackers there, and it also has poor defenses and a poor typing that make it hard to utilize.
Well, Azelf isn't unviable. It fills the void left by Deoxys-S nicely, as it's able to act as a suicide lead, a screener, a rain dance lead, and a LO attacker. It isn't phenomenal of course, but its great movepool and Speed give it four small niches in OU. It is C+ after all.

Keep in mind that viability rankings are set for each pokemon based only on their performance within their particular tier. A pokemon having an A in one tier says nothing about what it would have in another tier. Different tiers have different threats to watch out for, so while I don't know the exact answer to the Mismagius question, my guess is that while players can use NU pokemon in RU, you see different threats in RU in general that maybe Mismagius is just more useful for. I'd ask in the RU/NU forum SQSA threads if you want the specific answer.

As for tiering itself, it's done by usage because that's a clean, objective way to tier. It's true that usage isn't always a perfect correlation with viability (though in many cases it is, such as with Thundurus in OU or Xerneas in Ubers), but it's the easiest way to get objective statistics on a pokemon's viability because the assumption is that people battling generally want to win and people who want to win will gravitate toward pokemon they find make it easiest to do that. I.e., the strongest/most useful pokemon. That said, it doesn't mean the people playing won't be slow to come to the same conclusions as the people who debate rankings on the viability threads, or that they will ever come to those same conclusions. For example, Donphan was used quite a lot in early XY, even though it's really not OU-viable.

By tiering based solely on usage stats, the sample size becomes humongous which is more desirable than having a few people decide on tiering using subjective arguments. Viability rankings themselves don't actually affect competitive play so the use of more subjective arguments by fewer people isn't as problematic there.
Thank for the reply. This kind of detail is what I was looking for.

But isn't that so for all Priority moves?
Yes, but the idea was that Bisharp can still take on Jirachi just fine even if Jirachi is trying to paraflinch it.

And that entire list is great except that anything that isn't ground will get paralyzed and give Jirachi a chance to paraflinching you to death since It outspeeds a majority of them. I currently have Gengar who cannot Ohko with shadow ball and cannot keep subs up because iron head breaks them. I also have Bisharp who gets paralyzed and becomes a liability.

Do I really need to carry a cleric on top of a counter to handle one pokemon?
Why does there have to be a perfect answer to a pokemon for it to stay in OU? This metagame is not about either having an answer to something or not, it's about what decisions you make so that your team is more or less prepared for each threat. In other words, it's not a binary "are you prepared for X threat yes/no," it's more like a continuum of preparedness. As Agent Gibbs put it, "the era of being able to run universal counters to the metagame's top offensive threats is long gone."

Moreover, the pokemon I suggested (Garchomp, Char X/Y, Bisharp...) are good for much more than just hitting Jirachi. You wouldn't be carrying "a cleric on top of a counter to handle one pokemon," you'd be carrying two good pokemon that just so happen to help out against Jirachi, as well as with other things. The goal is to make a team where all the pokemon work together, rather than individually each focused solely on their own threats, to minimize the amount of things that the overall team is weak against.

So no, you don't have to bring a cleric if making room for it would detriment the rest of your team. But if you find your team is weak to Jirachi and in your experience Jirachi is common enough to warrant preparation, then you might need to think about what changes you could make so that your team loses as little other coverage/synergy as possible while gaining some coverage vs. Jirachi.

By the way, only keeping things in OU that have perfect single-mon counters would actually exacerbate your complaints about the game becoming matchup dependent. That is how RPS works, after all. Rock is a perfect counter to scissors, scissors is a perfect counter to paper, paper is a perfect counter to rock.

Yes, but the idea was that Bisharp can still take on Jirachi just fine even if Jirachi is trying to paraflinch it.

Why does there have to be a perfect answer to a pokemon for it to stay in OU? This metagame is not about either having an answer to something or not, it's about what decisions you make so that your team is more or less prepared for each threat. In other words, it's not a binary "are you prepared for X threat yes/no," it's more like a continuum of preparedness. As Agent Gibbs put it, "the era of being able to run universal counters to the metagame's top offensive threats is long gone."

Moreover, the pokemon I suggested (Garchomp, Char X/Y, Bisharp...) are good for much more than just hitting Jirachi. You wouldn't be carrying "a cleric on top of a counter to handle one pokemon," you'd be carrying two good pokemon that just so happen to help out against Jirachi, as well as with other things. The goal is to make a team where all the pokemon work together, rather than individually each focused solely on their own threats, to minimize the amount of things that the overall team is weak against.

So no, you don't have to bring a cleric if making room for it would detriment the rest of your team. But if you find your team is weak to Jirachi and in your experience Jirachi is common enough to warrant preparation, then you might need to think about what changes you could make so that your team loses as little other coverage/synergy as possible while gaining some coverage vs. Jirachi.

By the way, only keeping things in OU that have perfect single-mon counters would actually exacerbate your complaints about the game becoming matchup dependent. That is how RPS works, after all. Rock is a perfect counter to scissors, scissors is a perfect counter to paper, paper is a perfect counter to rock.
That's a thing I've always said. I hate when I have a pokémon that I want to use and someone comes to me and say "Don't use it, because it's weak to x, y or z". Come on, this is a team. If you have a pokémon weak to some things, have their teammates to cover up for that.

I'm not sure if this is where to ask this question, and I'm going to go ahead and tag alexwolf in this question, but since Aegislash is now gone might it be time to unlock the Doublade thread? It's had a lot of discussion in both the Post Aegis Discussion thread and the Stall thread, and from what I've read has actually become pretty effective, if slightly niche for now. Since it's viable in OU now, though, should that thread be released from cryo to discuss our little baby Slash?

It's URL is here: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/doublade.3489923/

I'm not sure if this is where to ask this question, and I'm going to go ahead and tag alexwolf in this question, but since Aegislash is now gone might it be time to unlock the Doublade thread? It's had a lot of discussion in both the Post Aegis Discussion thread and the Stall thread, and from what I've read has actually become pretty effective, if slightly niche for now. Since it's viable in OU now, though, should that thread be released from cryo to discuss our little baby Slash?

It's URL is here: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/doublade.3489923/
That's actually a good question. Either way, I see it possibly bumping up to UU, but OU might be too much for it, right? It'll become niche at best, atleast.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
Should I invest in HP/Defence or HP/SpecAtt on Goodra? (Also, Gooey or Sap Sipper? I'm not running a Rain team do Hydration is kinda useless)
If you don't invest in SpA, it hits like a wet noodle, and lack of recovery and boosting moves would make it setup bait for a lot of things. It still only has base 110 SpA!

If you don't invest in SpA, it hits like a wet noodle, and lack of recovery and boosting moves would make it setup bait for a lot of things. It still only has base 110 SpA!
"only"
110 is pretty good for a base stat, isn't it? Last I remembered, 95 was par.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
"only"
110 is pretty good for a base stat, isn't it? Last I remembered, 95 was par.
Yeah but it's not very strong uninvested. Sure, an AV goodra fully invested in bulk can take a ton of hits, but it can't really do anything back to any of them besides maybe Dragon Tail them out. (Which of course doesn't work on fairies)

That's irrelevant to his question, he's looking for a poke that can absorb hits for his team rather than a bulky attacker, obviously he can change evs around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)