Resource ORAS OU Teambuilding

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now that it's seeing a lot more play, I'd like to reserve Toxic Spikes Dragalge, if it's not taken. There's two variants, an offensive and a defensive. I can do both, though if someone has more experience with the defensive version, I'd be fine with them handling it instead, as I have a bit less experience with that version than with the offensive.

Now that it's seeing a lot more play, I'd like to reserve Toxic Spikes Dragalge, if it's not taken. There's two variants, an offensive and a defensive. I can do both, though if someone has more experience with the defensive version, I'd be fine with them handling it instead, as I have a bit less experience with that version than with the offensive.
I don't mind if you do both if you've used them both, but if you do just make sure to do two separate write-ups.

Do my eyes deceive me or has Sand Rush Excadrill not been done yet? If I'm correct and it hasn't, I'd like to do a write up on that.
Your eyes are true and deceive you naught, despite the teachings of Jaden Smith. Go for it.

Last edited:

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Do my eyes deceive me or has Sand Rush Excadrill not been done yet? If I'm correct and it hasn't, I'd like to do a write up on that.

Edit: Done.

What To Use:

Excadrill @ Life Orb / Air Balloon
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Def
Adamant / Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin / Swords Dance

Role: Late-Game Cleaner, Sweeper

What It Does: Sand Rush Excadrill in Sand cleanly outspeeds any pokemon that doesn't have a speed modifier. It should be used mainly to revenge kill things under sand, or clean up late game when its checks and counters have been weakened or removed. Earthquake and Iron Head are the mandatory STAB attacks. Rock Slide provides coverage to hit pokemon such as Zapdos and Gyarados that take little to no damage from its STAB moves. Rapid Spin can be used to clear hazards, while Swords Dance is an option to become more of a powerhouse. Life Orb is for maximum power, while Air Balloon Excadrill is a more reliable answer to ground type attackers like other Excadrills and Rock Polish sweepers such as Mega Diancie and Landorus-I without Focus Blast. If using Swords Dance, Life Orb is the recommended item. Rapid Spin can be used with either item, but Excadrill doesn't take recoil damage with Air Balloon and can also avoid Spikes damage allowing it to more reliably spin.

Good Teammates: It is mandatory to pair Excadrill with either Hippowdon or Tyranitar because they summon Sandstorm. Mega Charizard Y is a very popular partner that forms a dual weather core and is capable of KOing most of the bulky pokemon that wall Excadrill such as Skarmory and Slowbro. Wallbreakers such as (but not limited to) Mega Metagross, mixed Mega Altaria and Choice Specs Keldeo also make good partners as they can weaken Excadrills checks and counters. Pokemon like Azumarill and Toxicroak resist common priority attacks that Excadrill can’t take. In general water and grass types are good teammates as Excadrill is paired with a sand setter that shares a weakness to water so resists are handy. Finally if you decide to run a Swords Dance variant, a Defogger such as Latios can make a nice partner because it wallbreaks with Draco Meteor and provides hazard removal support that the team needs.

What Counters It: Skarmory and Rotom-Wash wall Sand Rush Excadrill. Defensive Landorus-T can reliably check Excadrill as it is immune to Earthquake and has the ability Intimidate. At +2, Excadrill can do serious damage to Slowbro and Hippowdon but fails to OHKO and they can retaliate with super effective STAB. Azumarill, Crawdaunt, Breloom and Conkeldurr all check Excadrill with super effective priority if they are given a free switch-in. Pokemon with Trace such as Timid Gardevoir and Mega Alakazam can outspeed Excadrill by copying its ability and threaten to KO with Focus Blast. When Sand is not active, a lot more pokemon check Excadrill, so beware of opposing weather setters such as Politoed and Mega Charizard Y.

Any Additional Info: Jolly Nature is standard for Swords Dance variants, Adamant is standard otherwise. Return/Frustration is an option over Rock Slide (primarily on SD variants) to ease predictions and hit Rotom-W harder.

Last edited:
Got my reserves done ^_^
Waiting for approval to reserve CB Tyrantrum

Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 96 Atk / 252 SpA / 160 Spe
Rash Nature
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Earth Power / Hidden Power [Fire]
- Substitute / Roost / Outrage

Role: Wallbreaker, Mixed Sweeper

What It Does: Break lives like it’s an everyday routine. Kyurem-Black decimates a ton of teams due to its expansive movepool and amazing attacking stats. Ice Beam is its main STAB, delivering massive damage to poor souls like Mega Venusaur (ty Teravolt), non-Multiscale Dragonite and more. Fusion Bolt is its main coverage to muscle its way past things like Azumarill, Skarmory (sorta) and Keldeo. Earth Power gives it coverage to hit Steel-types like Heatran and Excadrill, but HP Fire can be used to have its way better against Scizor and Ferrothorn. The last slot is quite flexible, so feel free to pick one: Substitute lets you wallbreak more safely (and avoid pesky status), Roost lets you heal back HP from all the Life Orb recoil and damage it took, and Outrage is there to provide STAB and power against fat Pokemon like Chansey. The EVs are designed so that Fusion Bolt completely wrecks a normal Azumarill after some residual damge, and Life Orb is there to take its power even higher.

Good Teammates: Other wallbreakers can help Kyurem-Black break faces easier. I found Victini as a great example as it breaks pretty much every single Steel- and Fairy-type in the game (Heatran gets a 2HKO from a CB-boosted Bolt Strike, it deals with Mega Gardevoir, etc.) Hyper Offense it its main playstyle, so have teammates like Mega Sharpedo and Azelf along with it. Physical sweepers / wallbreakers are appreciated to have better days against Chansey and Sylveon. Sweepers also appreciate its capability to clear paths for sweeping. Steel-types also help it against Fairy-types like Mega Gardevoir and Azumarill. Hazard entry removal is crucial, as Kyurem-Black will be worn down much faster if Stealth Rocks are on its side of the field.

What Counters It: Heavily defensive Pokemon / cores can wall Kyurem-Black under the right circumstances. Yes, under the right circumstances as Kyurem-Black hits a crapton of defensive Pokemon / cores with super-effective damage. Under some situations, Specs Sylveon and Mega Gardevoir can take a Fusion Bolt or two then retaliate with Hyper Voice, bypassing Kyurem-Black’s Substitute. A Keldeo can outspeed and KO it, but it won’t switch in safely. Scizor can do massive damage with Bullet punch, but must watch out for the rare HP Fire. Mega Metagross can also obliterate it with Meteor Mash, but it’ll take a ton from Earth Power. Azumarill can take its STABs well, but must watch out for Fusion Bolt. Chansey can live any hit it brings then stall with Seismic Toss. Other special walls can do the same in this regard.

Any Additional Info: Bring this in on a free switch then get a Substitute up. With that you can freely break everything in your way (trust me, I pulled a Sub off in three games with at least 2 Pokemon KOd in each one before Kyu-B fainted). Switch out from any status as it’s gonna cripple Kyurem-Black (you have Substitute for that right?)

Victini @ Choice Band
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- V-Create
- U-turn
- Bolt Strike
- Trick / Zen Headbutt

Role: Wallbreaker, Physical Sweeper

What It Does: Murder you and everybody else with its high-powered attacks. This thing is simple, so we need not go into further explanation. V-create is its mandatory STAB, dealing huge (and I mean HUGE) amounts of pain to the opposition (except for obvious things like Heatran and Mega Charizard X). U-turn helps it switch out on a free switch, giving you a favorable match-up if need be. Bolt Strike lets it past bulky Water-types like Azumarill and other fat Pokemon while giving a handy Paralysis chance. You can use Trick to further cripple walls, and Zen Headbutt gives you STAB and neutral coverage against Dragon-types and other bulky Pokemon. The EVs and item are simple, maxing out its Attack and Speed. I suppose you can have its EVs tailored to take things like Mega Gardevoir easier, but keep the max Attack as it neally needs it.

Good Teammates: It goes well in (hyper) offense teams, as it helps sweepers have a better lease on life. Other wallbreakers like Kyurem-Black help make sure no wall is safe. A Volt Switch user like Magneton can form a VoltTurn core with it so that it brings momentum to the next switch. Checks to Dragon-types like (Mega) Scizor and Bisharp help it spam its moves more liberally. Pursuit trappers can help it past Lati@s, who can take on Victini’s moves with ease. Special attackers / wallbreakers help it past physical walls. Hazard removal helps it switch in more often.

What Counters It: For one, there’s only a few Pokemon willing to take its attacks, but you can counter it after locking it into one move. Gyarados, Mega Swampert, Heatran and others can take on V-Create, while Landorus-Therian, Gliscor and others can take Bolt Strike (they ought to watch out for U-turn though). Dragon-types are solid checks to it. Bisharp can play mindgames with Dark-type moves, but V-Create decimates it. Rhyperior and Tyranitar take a little from both Bolt Strike and V-create, and can damage heavily with STABs of choice.

Any Additional Info: Let loose and bring Victini out early in the game to break faces. It’s sure to bring you victory (yeah yeah Gareth we get it) when played well.

DarkNostalgia

Fading in, fading out, on the edge of paradise
is a Contributor Alumnus
Could I do Life Orb Alakazam? As shown in SPL it's a nice wallbreaking set, don't know if you agree with me doing it though.

Could I do Life Orb Alakazam? As shown in SPL it's a nice wallbreaking set, don't know if you agree with me doing it though.
I'm not entirely sure on that one. I don't watch a lot of SPL replays, so if it was used by a lot of players, I might be more inclined. However, it's also the same expert players who advocated the listing of Flygon and Cacturne, which were eventually booted since in practice they were pretty much only used by said players. If the use of it was widespread enough that it has noticeable presence in the Meta, you can go ahead and do it. Since you seem to be tracking the replays, I'll let you be the judge of whether or not it has the presence needed to merit a write-up (unless of course others come by and make me crumble under pressure)

DKFirelord

Back this time I swear!
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Ok Sanger Zonvolt that sounds cool
Got Mega Altaria here:

Altaria-Mega @ Altarianite
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 72 HP / 252 SpA / 184 Spe
Mild / Rash / Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hyper Voice
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake / Toxic / Draco Meteor / Heal Bell
- Roost

Role: Special Attacker

What It Does: Mega Altaria is one of the most versatile mega evolutions ORAS has gifted the competitive scene. With the ability to run a multitude of sets effectively, and by virtue of its stellar Dragon / Fairy typing, Altaria is a great check to a variety of top tier threats in OU such as Keldeo, Sableye, Mega Charizards and Lopunny. This set takes advantage of Altaria special attack to ignore various burns that Sableye and Keldeo may spread.
Hyper Voice is the main STAB, and hits incredibly hard after a Pixilate boost, capable of straight out OHKOing Pokemon such as Sableye, Lopunny and Gallade. Fire Blast is next, allowing Altaria to get past bulky Steel-types not named Heatran. Earthquake is an option in the third slot to lure in and deal massive damage to Heatran who would otherwise wall the Fairy-, Fire-type coverage that Altaria uses. Take note to use either a Mild or a Rash Nature when using Earthquake. Toxic is another option to wear down any other switch-ins to Altaria such as Talonflame and Mega Charizard Y, as well as specially defensive oriented Pokemon, namely Chansey, Unaware Clefable and Azumarill. Draco Meteor is slashed last; it may seem to have redundant coverage with Hyper Voice but with Draco Meteor, Altaria can get past Talonflame, Mega Charizard Y, as well as being a however it is quite situational. Lastly, Roost is mandatory to recover off any burns, hazard damage and damage sustained in the heat of battle from common switch-ins such as Sableye and Keldeo.

Good Teammates: Good teammates for Altaria include Pokemon that can take on Poison- and Steel-types. Ground types such as Excadrill can take both of these on as well as providing valuable Rapid Spin support. Magnezone can also trap and eliminate Steel-types that Altaria may struggle with. Gothitelle can also trap Steel- and Poison- types that Altaria despise. Specially Defensive Gliscor is a great partner since it deals with Mega Venusaur, Gengar and a variety of Steel types as well as Pokemon that Altaria struggle with such as Clefable and Chansey. In return, Altaria deals with the likes of Keldeo and Heracross which Gliscor are checked by.

What Counters It: Bulky steel types that can shrug off Fire Blast are the main candidates. Air Balloon Heatran is a decent check and can shrug off Hyper Voice and retaliate with Flash Cannon. Fairy-, Poison- and Steel-types such as Azumarill, Clefable, Mega Venusaur, Gengar, Scizor and Mega Metagross can also switch into Altaria's Fairy STAB and KO back with their respective STAB moves. Mega Venusaur in particular completely walls Altaria and can take Altaria out with multiple Sludge Bombs.

Any Additional Info: This EV spread aims to maximize Altaria's Special Attack stat to deal as much damage as possible. The speed EVs allow it to speed creep Pokemon attempting to speed creep Adamant Bisharp/Breloom, reaching a total of 241; examples of Pokemon it creeps are 16 speed Celebi, Zapdos as well as Adamant Bisharp and Breloom. An alternate spread with Timid > Modest with enough speed to outspeed Jolly Bisharp and Breloom, as well as Adamant Dragonite and Lucario is also viable; however it sacrifices quite a bit of bulk and power. Heal Bell is an option to clear the whole team of status but dedicated clerics such as Clefable and Chansey are more adept at it.
Also you don't need to run rash or mild since earthquake always 2 hits KOS HEATRAN unless investment in Attack to just run modest even if using earthquake

Kinda iffy on this. You kinda need the longevity from Focus Sash for Alakazam to wreak havoc (stupid frality issues). LO Zam looks promising and all, but susceptibility to a ton of things is kinda bad. With Sash, you fare better against Bisharp and other threats. Still it's Sanger's decision, so I'll leave that to him.

Alright, so I'm still working on the entry for the defensive set, but I've got the offensive set done, so I figured I'd post it now.

Dragalge @ Draco Plate
Ability: Adapability
EVs: 200 HP / 252 SpA / 56 Spe
Modest Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Draco Meteor
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast / Hidden Power Fire / Scald

Role: Hazard Setter

What It Does: While it has previously been more famous for its Specs Wallbreaking set, Dragalge can also greatly benefit offensive teams by virtue of being one of the only OU viable Toxic Spikes setters that can also maintain a good offensive presence. Toxic Spikes, while definitely trickier to pull off than other hazards thanks to its limitations (it can't affect Steel, Flying, or Poison types, or Pokemon with Levitate, and will be removed if a grounded Poison type switches in), they can greatly improve offensive teams' matchups against both stall and against setup sweepers. Dragalge's great defensive typing means it can usually find plenty of opportunities to set up Toxic Spikes as well. Draco Meteor maintains a very high power thanks to Adaptability, allowing Dragalge to do a lot of damage to anything that tries to switch in that isn't a Fairy type, Steel type, or Chansey. However, the special attack drop means that Dragalge will likely have to switch out afterwards. Sludge Wave is also boosted by Adaptability, and gives Dragalge a way to nail every Fairy except Klefki if they try to switch in. And, since you're not Choice-locked on this set, Fairies switching in on a Draco Meteor are much less of a problem. DO NOT use Sludge Bomb instead, as the extra poison chance is irrelevant if Toxic Spikes are down, the difference in power, while not big, is still noticeable, and it can't hit Chesnaught. The last slot is for coverage against Steel types, who resist Draco Meteor and are immune to Sludge Wave. Focus Blast does more damage overall, is capable of hitting Heatran, hits Tyranitar and Bisharp harder than any other attack, and is Dragalge's best option against Chansey (though it's still not a great matchup). Alternatively, Hidden Power Fire can be used if accuracy is an issue, and it is Dragalge's best option against Scizor and Ferrothorn, though it does less to most other Steel types, and makes Heatran a hard stop. If Steel types aren't a big problem for the rest of your team, Scald could be used instead to hit Ground types harder on the switch in, while still being able to hit Heatran. The given EVs maximize Dragalge's SAtk and give it enough speed to outspeed uninvested Azumarill, with the rest going towards Dragalge's bulk. Draco Plate is the recommended item to let Draco Meteor do as much damage as possible, and even bluff a Specs set. Black Sludge could be used instead to give Dragalge a means of recovery.

Good Teammates: Anything that appreciates having grounded Pokemon poisoned will enjoy Toxic Spikes support from Dragalge. Mega Gyarados is one such Pokemon, as most of its counters are susceptible to Toxic Spikes and it shares excellent type synergy with Dragalge. Both Charizard X and Charizard Y benefit from SubCM Keldeo being weakened. An interesting partner might be Mega Tyranitar. A lot of the reason Mega Tyranitar has fallen in viability lately is due to the prevalence of counters such as SubCM Keldeo, Mega Lopunny, and the Fairy-dominated metagame, Nearly all of those are very susceptible to Toxic Spikes. Magic Guard Clefable and Non-Mega Altaria can avoid them, but are very susceptible to Sludge Wave if they try to switch in. In return, Mega Tyranitar can take on the Ice and Psychic types that trouble Dragalge. However, neither are great against Steel, and both are weak to Ground, so the rest of the team would need to be able to take them on. Kyurem-Black can be a good partner to support Dragalge, as it too appreciates the weakening of Fighting types, and appreciates Dragalge's ability to take on Fairy types as well as its Fighting resist. Meanwhile Kyurem-Black can take on Steel types thanks to Earth Power, and can take on the Ground types that tend to force Dragalge out. Since Dragalge does not have any form of healing outside of Black Sludge, which is not the primary item it should be running, cleric support could also be useful. Also, since you don't want your opponent eliminating your Toxic Spikes, Bisharp would be a great partner, as it deters defogging, can Pursuit trap the Latis, and can take out the Psychic types that are strong against Dragalge. Since Steel types can prove difficult to take on even with a coverage move, partners that can trap and remove Steel types, such as Magnezone and Dugtrio, are very helpful.

What Counters It: Many Steel types can wall Dragalge even with a coverage move. Also, with base 44 speed, Dragalge isn't gonna be winning a lot of races any time soon. As such, any Pokemon that can outspeed Dragalge and hit it with a super-effective attack (which is quite a lot of Pokemon) can counter it pretty easily. There aren't a lot of things that can switch in to Dragalge's STABs safely, but there are a few. Heatran can shrug off both of Dragalge's STABs, making it a safe switch in unless Dragalge's owner predicts it and lands a Focus Blast. While Heatran can only 2HKO Dragalge after Stealth Rock with Earth Power, Focus Blast's less than reliable accuracy means that staying in is risky. If Heatran isn't hit on the switch it will force Dragalge out, costing momentum. The Lati twins can be an absolute nightmare for Dragalge. While they can't switch in on Draco Meteor, Dragalge cannot switch in on either of them either, as both of them are capable of OHKOing Dragalge with both STAB attacks. Both can also Defog away any Toxic Spikes. Starmie is threatening for similar reasons. Ground types are a very big threat to Dragalge as well. Excadrill in particular can easily take down Dragalge, and is immune to Toxic Spikes. Dugtrio cannot take a hit, but if it gets a free switch in, Dragalge is dead. While there aren't a lot of Poison types around in OU to absorb Dragalge's Toxic Spikes, there is one in particular that does stand out. Mega Venusaur can absorb Toxic Spikes, and can tank pretty much anything Dragalge tries to throw at it.

Any Additional Info: The EV spread given is the one I've been using. It seems to work pretty well for me, but I can't promise that this is the absolute best. Over on the revamped analysis currently in QC, the listed EV spread is 228 HP / 252 SAtk / 28 Spe, to give it more bulk while still outspeeding Hippowdon. Feel free to correct me if there's a consensus about a better EV spread.

MrAldo

Hey
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
While I can advocate for the effectiveness of Life Orb Alakazam (Focus Sash works way differently; being a good emergency revenge killer while life orb acts as a pseudo wallbreaker) but considering the purpose of the threat that is to help newer players or remind players what sets are more effective or that are already established as being pretty functional on most common scenarios.

Life orb alakazam is one of those sets that start as an underrated set, then become standard enough once you understand how to play with it and how to support it. Right now, it is a bit of a mystery teambuilding wise so I wouldnt add it just yet.

What To Use:

Landorus @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 Atk
Naïve Nature
- Knock Off
- Earth Power
- Psychic / Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast / Hidden Power [Ice]

Role: Wallbreaker

What It Does: With access to a wide movepool and excellent mixed attacking stats, Landorus excels at breaking walls and getting OHKOs on frailer pokemon. Because Landorus can run a variety of different movesets, it is incredibly difficult to switch into and this set takes advantage of that by maximizing coverage. Knock Off is key on this set: it KOs a common switch-in, Latios, after Stealth Rocks and also removes Eviolites and Assault Vests, giving teammates a better opportunity to sweep. Knock Off provides valuable coverage against many other Psychic types as well. Earth Power is mandatory as it is Landorus’ strongest attack. Psychic hits poison types such as Amoonguss and Mega Venusaur harder than Earth Power and provides better neutral coverage than Sludge Wave, while Sludge Wave smacks fairies and Celebi. Focus Blast is for Skarmory and Ferrothorn as well as Steel types holding an Air Balloon. Hidden Power [Ice] eliminates common switch-ins such as Gliscor, other forms of Landorus, and Dragonite.

Good Teammates: Dragon Dancers such as Mega Altaria and Mega Charizard X enjoy Landorus’ ability to remove or weaken walls such as Slowbro and Hippowdon. In general many physical sweepers synergize well with Landorus, including but not limited to Bisharp, Lopunny and Talonflame. Landorus is heavily threatened by ice and water attacks, particularly Ice Shard, so water types such as Azumarill and Keldeo make good teammates. Thundurus often makes a good teammate since it can reliably smash bulky waters and priority Thunder Wave slows down threats that outspeed Landorus (although this duo does compound a weakness to ice). Other good teammates really depend on your choice of coverage moves.

What Counters It: Very few things truly counter Landorus, but Cresselia can switch in with impunity not even fearing Knock Off much, and threaten to KO with Ice Beam. Tornadus-T holding an Assault Vest is a consistent switch-in that fears no move except Knock Off and can threaten to Knock Off Landorus’ Life Orb in return, neutralizing its power somewhat. Other counters depend on coverage moves: without Hidden Power [Ice], Dragonite doesn’t mind switching in much and SpDef Gliscor becomes a pure counter. Without Focus Blast, Skarmory and Magnet Rise Klefki can wall Landorus pretty well and if you forgo Sludge Wave, Celebi and Togekiss can tank hits reliably and recover off the damage. If lacking both HP Ice and Psychic, other forms of Landorus fear very little.

Additional Info: Stealth Rock is an option if your team is lacking a setter, but you lose out on valuable coverage. Rock Slide reliably hits Tornadus-T, Gyarados and also Dragonite if you don’t have HP Ice, but is generally less useful than the other moves. Focus Blast has a very high chance to 2HKO Chansey after its Eviolite has been removed.
I'd honestly take Focus Blast out of this moveset, and slash Sludge Wave in the last slot.

Focus Blast is unreliable, and Lando is often partnered with Keldeo or Mega Metagross, which already have Fighting covered with Secret Sword and Hammer Arm. Getting past bulky Fairies is much more useful than whatever Focus Blast brings to the table.

It can useful if you're not using either of those Pokemon, but if you're playing offense, you should be using one of those alongside Lando anyway.

If you're pairing Lando-I with Mega Metagross, you already have bulky fairies covered, so there's no point in sludge wave. Focus Blast is still a good idea so that you don't have to switch every time you come across a Skarmory / Chansey, as it loses lots of momentum. As a neutral coverage move, Focus Blast also hits decently hard even if it's unreliable. I think that moveset is fine.

Last edited:

bludz

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Focus Blast is Landorus' strongest move that isn't Earth Power. Firehusky gave some good reasons why it's still viable. Partners are not set in stone so I don't see that as a strong argument.

I'm not removing it from the description (unless Sanger asks me to) even if it isn't as popular / useful as it was at one point. If anything Psychic is the least valuable move IMO, but there is still merit to it as well.

Reserve's done.

EDIT: Oh yay #555 post! Anyways, I'm kinda finding it hard to find write-ups to do.
halp ;-;

Tyrantrum @ Choice Band
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Head Smash
- Outrage
- Earthquake / (coverage)
- Superpower / (coverage)

Role: Wallbreaker

What It Does: Do a Hulk and go HULKEAD SMASH on everything without worry. The moves here are quite standard, so let’s simply elaborate them. Head Smash is its obligatory STAB, as it brings high damage output whilst negating the recoil by Rock Head. With this move, Tyrantrum can demolish even physical walls and tanks like Rotom-Wash and Slowbro. Outrage is for another good STAB if you want to let loose, but watch out for Fairy-types on the other team. The last two moves are completely up to you, so those coverage moves are filler (this will be exploited in Any Additional Info). Maximum Attack and Speed investment + Adamant nature maxes out Tyrantrum’s breaking power. Again, you can be elastic on the EVs so it fits to team needs and stuff.

Good Teammates: As always, other wallbreakers like Kyurem-Black (neat dual Dragon core too) makes sure no wall will be safe. Fighting-types also appreciate its ability to take down many birds littering OU. Fire-types can also help alleviate Tyrantrum’s fear of burn while dealing with troublesome Steel-types. Special wallbreakers / sweepers also help Tyrantrum past physical walls, as even with Head Smash it may not break through physical walls as effectively. Clerics are appreciated (though not necessarily needed) to help Tyrantrum with status issues. Some good teammates include Scarf Landog, Magnezone and Serperior.

What Counters It: Heavily physical walls like Mega Aggron and (Iron Defense) Mega Slowbro will not care about anything it throws, and may retaliate with super-effective damage or crippling moves. Faster sweepers can take advantage of the dino’s poor bulk. Landog can repeatedly weaken it via Intimidate, but it must watch out for Head Smash’s raw power. Solid counters include Bronzong, Skarmory and other mentions.

Any Additional Info: Just let the dino smash through things, and don’t expect it to live as long. Spam Head Smash as much as you want, but take caution of any resists to it. As for the coverage moves, they include Crunch, Fire Fang, Ice Fang, and Zen Headbutt (lol). There’s tons more that have mention, so have at it.

EDIT2: As for the removal of Focus Blast on Langod's moveset above, I'd reckon we keep it man. Sludge Wave isn't going to hit anything but Fairy-types, and keeps you more susceptible to Skarmory and the like. You can always build around Langod's counters right?

Last edited:
So I sacrificed my evening to this thread and managed to burn my arm attempting to compile a definitive list of things we haven’t done yet. I got to C rank but if I go any further tonight I think I might cry. I’m sure I’ve made some mistakes or included some dodgy sets and I’ve invariably got something somebody’s reserved. I’ve probably forgotten some stuff as well. If you have an objection (might have been listening to the Ace Attorney soundtrack as I did this), shout at me loads and I’ll change it.
Italic Underline = reserved. Don't expect me to keep track of all of them as soon as they come up, but I'll do my best.

S RANK
KELDEO
-Choice Specs
-Life Orb

MEGA METAGROSS
-Rock Polish

A RANK
A+
AZUMARILL
-Choice Band

BISHARP
-Assault Vest
-Swords Dance

MEGA CHARIZARD X
-Bulky WoW
-Offensive DD

CLEFABLE
-Stealth Rock

MEGA DIANCIE
-Calm Mind
-Rock Polish

GENGAR
-SubSplit

GLISCOR
-(non-specially) Defensive
-SubToxic

MEGA GYARADOS
-RestTalk

LATIOS
-Dual Screens

MEGA SLOWBRO
-Offensive Tank

A
CELEBI
-Support

MEGA CHARIZARD Y
-Specially Defensive

EXCADRILL
-Specially Defensive

GARCHOMP
-Rocky Helmet
-Scarf

LATIAS
-Defensive Defogger

MANAPHY
-Calm Mind

MEGA SLOWBRO
-Double Dance

TYRANITAR
-Band

MEGA VENUSAUR
-Defensive

A-
DIGGERSBY
-Scarf

JIRACHI
-Offensive
-Specially defensive
-SubToxic

RAIKOU
-Calm Mind
-Specs

B RANK
B+
DRAGONITE
-Bulky Roost

TENTACRUEL
-Support

TERRAKION
-Band
-Scarf

B
OMASTAR
-Specs/LO

B-
AZELF
-Stealth Rock

C RANK
C+
GASTRODON
-Defensive

SEISMITOAD
-SR

SLOWKING
-Assault Vest

STARAPTOR
-ScarfRaptor

C
MEGA BLASTOISE
-Tank

PORYGON-2
-Passive af wall

SHUCKLE
-for the lols

THUNDURUS-T
-“Double Dance”

ZYGARDE
-Defensive DD
-Coil

Don’t let my evening die in vain guys. I literally disregarded all health and safety for the sake of this and I will probably have a breakdown.

Ed @ Sanger Zonvolt: changes made, and thanks!
Ed 2 @ bludz thanks for the spot, I've struck it out
Ed 3 updated all reservations as of 16:41 UTC and tidied up the post to make it easier to read
Ed 4 stuck Double Dance Slowbro (Mega) on the list since the reservation was dropped.
All reservations as of 13 April up to date

Last edited:
Canned Bread you're making me look lazy :(
But seriously, this is pretty awesome. There are just a couple of notes:
  • We really don't need offensive DD MegaZardX. I believe that the general consensus is that you should be using the Bulky Jolly build or Bulky Adamant build; I don't think anyone's had any success with the full offensive sets
  • As far as I know, no one uses RestTalk MegaDos; defensive sets usually just use standard Dos with Leftovers to maintain Intimidate
  • SubToxic was done a while ago by Renokiru along with Double Dance MegaBro. I asked him to correct the grammar in them and make some other changes, but he only ever changed the EV spreads. I still want to give him a chance to change them now that we have this list, but if he doesn't respond in the next 24 hours, I'm just going to put them back on the market
Other than that, that list truly is amazing; I'll add the post number in the OP to make it easier for others and add a link to the OP.

Ah, I was just going by Canned Bread's list
If it wasn't clear, that's a list of things that haven't been done yet, hence why it's so small (yes shameless pat on everyone's backs). There would be no need to make a list of things that have been done already because that list is the list in the OP we've been trying to make.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I'll do support celebi and rocky helmet garchomp
WIP

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 164 Def / 92 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Dragon Tail
- Earthquake / Toxic
- Fire Blast / Toxic

Role: Tank

What it Does: Between the recoil of Rocky Helmet and Rough Skin damage, physically defensive Garchomp acts as a blanket check at most if not all physical attackers. Garchomp's defensive typing provides quite a few useful advantages, notably being a major thorn for volt turn teams due to how it heavily punishes U-turn users (looking at you, Landorus-T) and is immune to Volt Switch; albeit being 4x weak to Hidden Power Ice which is on almost all Electric-types. The given moves are fairly simple and standard. Garchomp is an excellent Stealth Rock setter due to its ability to threaten or cripple common entry hazard setters and removers such as Hippowdon (Toxic), Excadrill, Landorus-T, Ferrothorn, etc. Dragon Tail provides important chip damage by phazing setup sweepers such as Swords Dance Talonflame and Swords Dance Mega Gallade and racks up entry hazard damage. Note that Stealth Rock and Dragon Tail are the only two necessary moves, the last 2 slots are quite flexible. Earthquake is a solid secondary STAB move to hit the likes of Bisharp, Mega Metagross, Magnezone, and Tentacruel. However, most of these Pokemon wont stay in on Garchomp in the first place anyways, so the utility of Fire Blast or Toxic can often be more beneficial. Fire Blast is relatively self-explanatory to hit the likes of Ferrothorn, Skarmory, (Mega) Scizor, and Excadrill. Lastly, Toxic cripples various bulky Pokemon such as (Mega) Slowbro, Mew, Cresselia, Hippowdon, Landorus-T, Rotom-W, and Chesnaught. The given EV spread allows it to outspeed Jolly Bisharp, but those EVs can be moved back to Defensive if preferred.

Good Teammates: Pokemon that cover Garchomp's weaknesses are first and foremost important. Steel-types such as Jirachi, Ferrothorn, Klefki, and Scizor pair well as they check the likes of Clefable, Mega Gardevoir, and Sylveon which pose major threats to

Also can we not do sub toxic gliscor it's awful :x

Last edited:
Also can we not do sub toxic gliscor it's awful :x
I find it to be in that weird limbo where I don't know anyone who says it was ever good, but I know it had an analysis in XY (before Mega Sableye was a thing) and I know in the Viability Ranking thread for sets it sits at B for some reason (probably also because of XY). I'll be the first to admit though that it seems like a waste of a perfectly good Gliscor, especially when it's laughed at by Mega Sableye.

If Renokiru cleans up the original one, I'll at least keep it in the back in case the revamped analysis keeps the set. However given that I have yet to hear any of players whose opinion I trust come out and say "SubToxic is an awesome set!" I will go ahead and keep it off the list regardless of whether it gets cleaned and see if the set survives the QC process or see if an angry mob threatens me for entertaining the idea of ever posting it.

p2

Banned deucer.
I'll just delete my last post to cut down clutter

Rock Polish Mega Metagross

Metagross @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rock Polish
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Hammer Arm / Grass Knot / Ice Punch

Role: Late Game Cleaner

What it does: This Mega Metagross set is designed to setup and go for a sweep late game when all of its checks are weakened or down. Rock Polish is for doubling speed, turning Mega Metagross into a extremely fast and really bulky sweeper, which is very difficult to revenge kill. Meteor Mash and Zen Headbutt are standard STABs, both boosted by Tough Claws and the former nails Tyranitar, Mamoswine, Fairies, and anything else that resists its coverage moves. Zen Headbutt hits threats like Keldeo, Mega Venusaur, Conkeldurr, Breloom. The last moves come down to what coverage is more important for you, Hammer Arm is the best of the 3 imo, which lets you OHKO Adamant Excadrill under Sand when Metagross is at +2, and lets MegaGross take on threats like Skarmory, Ferrothorn, Magnezone and Heatran. Grass Knot allows Mega Metagross to hit Hippowdon and bulky Waters like Slowbro and 2HKO them, assuming Slowbro is Physically Defensive. Ice Punch is another option and lets Metagross easily deal with Gliscor, Landorus-Incarnate and Therian, Garchomp, Dragonite - pretty much anything 4x weak to Ice. As mentioned, the EV spread allows Mega Metagross to outspeed Adamant Sand Rush Excadrill under Sand, while the remaining EVs are dumped into HP, this means it can also afford to run an Adamant nature, which boosts the power of its Tough Claws boosted moves even further.

Good Teammates: Keldeo is a good teammate for Mega Metagross as it helps deal with Bisharp who can OHKO with Sucker Punch after prior damage and it can nail Hippowdon with a Scald / Hydro Pump and cripple / KO it. Magnezone is also a good teammate for it as it can remove Slowbro and other Defensive Steel types like Ferrothorn and Latias is also a good teammate as it can provide Healing Wish support. Rotom-W or Landorus-T are good partners for it as they handle threats like Talonflame who can force Metagross out assuming it hasn't used Rock Polish.

What Counters it: Bulky Mega Scizor can Roost + Swords Dance easily against Mega Metagross, Specially Defensive Slowbro can Thunder Wave or burn it with Scald, AV Slowking can handle Grass Knot due to AV and resists all of it's physical moves apart from ThunderPunch which is a subpar option anyway, Counter + Rocky Helmet Skarmory can give it a hard time as Metagross will be KO'd if it keeps hitting into Skarmory and getting chipped down by Counter + Rocky Helmet, Suicune is free to Calm Mind against it if it can get a safe switch in, Mega Sableye can burn it if it gets in safely, Mandibuzz can hurt it a lot with Foul Play, Life Orb Bisharp almost OHKOs with Sucker Punch, aswell as Landorus-Ts Earthquake. It has no recovery and so is very prone to getting worn down. Doublade is also a good counter as it resists every move apart from Earthquake which isn't a very good option because it's not boosted by Tough Claws.

Additional Info: If you get hit by Scald, pray that you don't get burned.

bludz

I haven't gone through the full list but I would like to note that Swords Dance LO/blackglasses Bisharp has been done (granted, it was slashed with pursuit). Hope you don't hate me for this Canned Bread <.< but great post, super helpful.

I'd like to reserve Rocky Helmet Garchomp.

I haven't gone through the full list but I would like to note that Swords Dance LO/blackglasses Bisharp has been done (granted, it was slashed with pursuit). Hope you don't hate me for this Canned Bread <.< but great post, super helpful.

I'd like to reserve Rocky Helmet Garchomp.
Thanks for the Bisharp catch, though Bolts already reserved Rocky Helm Garchomp

bludz

Wow how'd I miss that, I am an idiot. Haha okay I'll edit this post with something else later then, sorry.

Edit: quick thinking -- I'll take Choice Specs Keldeo then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)