Other ORAS OU Viability Ranking Thread - Check post #2359

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
Mega Absol to C (at least)

Seconding pretty much everything already said about this thing. With Knock Off + Play Rough now being legal together, and especially with a lot of the new Megas running around, this thing got a lot better in ORAS. It defeats Mega Sableye with ease and has an additional niche as a Swords Dance sweeper in the form of not giving a shit about Thundurus. Not a whole lot of Pokemon can claim to set up on Mega Sableye and sweepers that just don't give a fuck about Prankster T-Wave from Thundurus are few and far between, and revenge killing (weakened) Mega Metagross with Sucker Punch is neat too. I could see it going as high as B- in a metagame particularly dominated by Thundurus and Mega Sableye, but for now, C is fine.

I think Haxorus deserves a bump to C+, since it's one of the very few Pokemon which can easily OHKO Mega Sableye and Unaware Clefable with +2 Outrage and Poison Jab respectively, as well as threaten offense with Double Dance. It can also beat all the Pokemon in S rank with the appropiate boost. Sure, it's kinda outclassed, but it surely got better in ORAS and should move up.

Unrank Regular Metagross, Mega-Steelix and Mega-Audino. The former is completely outclassed by its mega (I know it doesn't take up a mega slot, but honestly if you manage to get into a position where Assault Vest Metagross is the best thing you could add to your team, it's probably better just get rid of your mega to open up a slot for MMetagross especially given how ridiculously good it is. Simply put, regular Venusaur isn't ranked and neither should this).
Given that i am probably the only one here who ever used AV Metagross i have to disagree. Since Aegislash is gone AV Meta is in fact the sturdiest and most reliable Pursuit user in the meta because unlike Bisharp, Ttar and Scizor there is nothing the Latis can do to 2hko him. Yeah the Mega is much stronger but its also missing the massiv bulk that AV provides and whats more, Pursuit is somewhat wasted on it as there are more important coverage options Mega Meta wants to run.

Some might say that Jirachi is better, and thats true in a way, but Jirachi cant learn Pursuit so the Latis can just switch out. And if you want to switch into them multiple times you will have to use Wish recovery which kills momentum and doesnt realy fit offensive teams. And thats not the only thing it can do. It checks/counters stuff like Greninja, Thundy, Altaria, Clefable, Gardevoir, Diancie, Venusaur and Sceptile among other things. Its basicly a compromise between Mega Meta and Jirachi. Beeing alot more bulky than the former and having more offensive presence than the latter.

Meta is certainly niche but if you need a reliable solution for the Latis that doesnt cost you a Mega Slot/momentum its a good choice, it fits D rank imo.

Srn

Water (Spirytus - 96%)
is an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
I would rank Gourgeist-XL, probably in C- alongside Gourgeist-S. It was previously outclassed by its faster, less bulky counterpart, but now it has a pretty good niche in handling MMetagross (which Gourgeist-S loses to) and Keldeo in one slot, which is pretty big atm considering how solid and common that core is.
I actually wanna address this one, i've always been a fan of the pumpkin <3
252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Metagross Meteor Mash vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gourgeist-Super: 135-159 (36 - 42.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Metagross Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gourgeist-Super: 148-176 (39.5 - 47%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

u get the wisp off, synthesis as necessary, leech seed, whatever; you beat mega metagross!!!

So basically gourgeist-XL is a near complete mega metagross counter, joining mega scizor (needs knock off...), but unfortunately there's one disgusting set out there that ruins our dreams: Sub PuP. Its original use is to get a sub up on ferro and boosting away, but as all decent gourgeist-XL should really only carry seed bomb to handle SubCM keld, sub PuP mega meta is gonna just get a free sub and have fun vs gourgeist-XL too :[ This set destroys another otherwise total counter as well, alomomola, which can easily avoid 2hko from zen, stay healthy, and avoid 2hko from gknot and thunder punch. However, its scalds fail to break mega meta's uninvested subs and mega meta can easily grab 2 PuP's and 2hko with zen from there.
It's unfortunate that one of mega meta's rarer sets actually takes advantage of an otherwise total counter, but hey that's why it's S ;_;

SketchUp

Don't let your memes be dreams
alexwolf when clicking on toxicroak in the OP I am redirected to Sylveon and if I click on Tyranitar-Mega I'm redirected to Scolipede. Can that be fixed?
I don't agree with putting Mega Gallade in A rank. Almost every stall team has one of the few counters to Mega Gallade (being mega sableye, who is actually beaten by Skill Swap sets) but Mega Gallade is still a solid win condition against offense (especially those lacking Thundurus and Talonflame) There aren't many things that can live a +2 move and offensive teams often need to depend on speedties with Gengar or Mega Metagross when they lose their Landorus-T or Thundurus. I think A+ rank is a good place for Mega Gallade

Thats a little too much for Garde, honestly. Such a high bump is a little too much. sadly im cringing at verlis set but w/e.

Now, here is a more appropriate ranking for it (for now)

Also, if you traced trace, you would get Trace, buddy.

Gardevoir: Unranked ----> Unranked

I honestly like that rank a little better just cause its horribly outclassed by MGarde and has horrible stats to do anything good.
Most megas outclass their non-mega form pretty badly, look at Kangaskhan. But there's some pokémon that are still viable without needing to mega.

Also, if you were to Trace an ability that would activate at he start of a battle, like intimidate [or trace] the game would then activate that ability. So in theory, tracing Trace would result in you endlessly trying to Trace trace.

Hilariously bad sets aside.
My sets can't be THAT bad, they all work rather well in OU while allowing me to still use megas like Mawile [When it was legal] or currently, Pidgeot, Gallade, Beedrill, or altaria. I'm not saying it should be A ranked because it doesn't take up a mega slot, but it's too good to be unranked.

Most megas outclass their non-mega form pretty badly, look at Kangaskhan. But there's some pokémon that are still viable without needing to mega.

My sets can't be THAT bad, they all work rather well in OU while allowing me to still use megas like Mawile [When it was legal] or currently, Pidgeot, Gallade, Beedrill, or altaria. I'm not saying it should be A ranked because it doesn't take up a mega slot, but it's too good to be unranked.
Yes, you are right, there are Pokemon that are still viable without a mega, like Scizor, Latias, and Latios, but outside that column, the other Pokemon are niche at best.

I'm sorry, but your sets were actually THAT bad. You almost never take Versisify's advice for sets EVER. And you seem to not know what a counter is, as a counter is suppose to switch in on an attack, not revenge kill. Gardevoir is anything but a Greninja counter.
The only good set you listed was the Scarfedvoir, which should make Gardevoir D-Rank.
Outside the scarf set, you have no reason to not use Mega Gardevoir, as Mega Gardevoir has a godly ability and hits harder.
252 SpA Choice Specs Gardevoir Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mew: 226-267 (55.9 - 66%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Pixilate Mega Gardevoir Hyper Voice vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mew: 229-270 (56.6 - 66.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Right guys I think we're getting a little rude and over the top here tbh. It's fairly obvious he's new by his nominations and where he got his advice from but he's not being antagonistic so I don't understand the backlash; just tell him what's wrong with his sets in a calm manner jfc.

Regardless I do think Base Gardevoir could stand for a D rank since 125 Special Attack still isn't anything to scoff at and it's speed is decent for a scarfer; could make a pretty good revenge killer. I'll try and get some calcs a little later but I think a D ranking is suitable
edit: and I remember something some time ago about it's speed and special attack making it the only good scarf fairy revenge killer or something like that

Last edited:
Agree with Recreant with the M-Pidgeot thing. If played correctly it can be a monster but it needs huge support so it needs to be in the C rank for now. But C+ seems good for him.

View attachment 32569
#3 "Verlis" Tank Gardevoir [Credit to Verlisify]
god
oh to make this relevant

esp for d
man it seems like i hate all the baton passers right (i do. i really do)
espeons main niche has always been, most importantly, the only viable user of magic bounce in ou, and to a lesser, a decent user of baton pass and screens.
well now we have two incredible magic bounce users, baton pass being trash, and outclassed as a screen setter by klefki (if you really want to, diancie gets light screen and reflect too). it has a terrible typing, and is outclassed in everything it can do except MAYBE being a shitty baton passer and screens. its really not that good lmaoooooo

Don't have any recent replays, but I believe Gorebyss still deserves a D rank as it still has a very small niche. It can function as a very viable baton passer. Basic scenario:

Come in on something that can't 2hko ie most of the meta it has good bulk. Smash > BP > Sweep. I also laugh when thunderus or Breloom switch in only to get destroyed by an icebeam.

Not like D-ranks are that good, but even very good teams can get cleaned by gorebyss or whatever it passes to.
As for niche over smeragle, offensive presence and much better bulk.

Agree that gorebyss might deserve a D rank. Also in ORAS, with Mega Metagross SmashPass teams gained a very good recipient and that's another niche to use these kind of teams and therefore gorebyss, although they are very unreliable and they depend on the matchup mainly.

Mega Lopunny to S rank

A controversial nomination, but I think it's justified. When ORAS came out, Mega Lopunny was regarded as a great Mega Pokemon, but people definitely hyped Mega Salamence, Mega Metagross, and Mega Gallade as the best of the best, and Mega Lopunny never really reached that level, but I feel that as the meta has had the time to settle. Mega Lopunny has cemented itself as a threat which I think should definitely be S rank. Mega Lopunny is one of those rare Pokemon that will always pull its weight in any matchup, whether it's against offense, balance, or stall. 405 Speed, faster than the most defining Pokemon in the game, combined with a high Attack stat and completely unresisted STAB coverage means that Mega Lopunny will always give offensive teams a hard time, as it has very few offensive switch-ins that aren't outsped and 2HKOed, even Scarf Landorus-T is worn down and can be beat by Ice Punch. However, these are all characteristics typical of an A+ Pokemon - while none are really comparable, this alone is just a fast, strong Pokemon. However, the factor that puts it in S rank in my eyes are Mega Lopunny's plentiful options in its final two moveslots, a benefit granted by its amazing neutral coverage. With these final moveslots, Mega Lopunny will always do amazing work against a variety of teams. Fake Out grants chip damage and an easy Mega. Ice Punch lures Landorus-T. Substitute is the best in my opinion though, and it is deadly with a 4th move. Mega Lopunny gets so many free Substitutes it's unbelievable, and once it is behind one, offensive teams are losing Pokemon, and defensive teams are struggling to beat it. Sub + PuP makes Mega Lopunny easily available too demolish most bulky offense and balance teams. Sub + Encore fucks up defensive teams so badly and the game is often held from that point. Sub + Baton Pass is a potent combo on many Pokemon and it gives a shitton of momentum. Sub + Toxic beats certain bulky answers anyway, hell, even Healing Wish can be used thanks to Mega Lopunny's amazing Speed. What makes me sure it is S rank as that it is one of the few Pokemon I can be prepared for, whether using offense, or balance, or stall, and always be scared of, no matter what I'm running. It will be even scarier when it can run Adamant in the Greninja-less meta. Mega Lopunny is just an amazing Pokemon in all of its aspects, and to be honest I feel like it's better than all of the Pokemon in A+ rank, so in my opinion, it should be S rank.

Mega Gallade to A rank

I actually advocated this to S rank very early in ORAS but it's pretty apparent why it shouldn't be A+ rank anymore. Mega Sableye is on every stall team, meaning the most effective Mega Gallade set against offensive teams is effectively worthless. The rise in Unaware Clefable doesn't help it either. I guess I'm not totally opposed to it being in A+ as one of my arguments initally was Mega Lopunny being better than it, but it made me compare it with other Pokemon too and I just can't see it in A+ rank in a metagame so focused around Mega Sableye.

Other things I agree with:
Hydreigon to B- (not necessarily because of its Scarf set, but because its LO set is really effective against most balance cores)
Thundurus to A+ (I expected this even when it moved up to S rank, people were just panicing about how to beat the new Mega Pokemon)
Mega Beedrill to B+
Tentacruel to B
Bronzong to C+
Gourgeist-XL to C-

I'll also make a post about the D ranks tomorrow, I kinda have a fair bit to say about them.
I think its creepy that you made these two nominations cuz I was just talking with some friends about both of these, I wasnt exactly sure on Mega lopunny for S but I definitely didnt rule it out. It does have unresisted coverage in just 2 slots which is amazing, but with high jump kicks shaky accuracy/protect on mons you want to use hjk on, I find it to be unreliable damage and makes mega lopunny seem inconsitent. That being said the versatility of the last two moveslots completely remedies most problems, you could just sub on ferro as it protects or switches then baton pass, pup, fire off a hit, etc.. If mega lopunny didnt have so much freedom to have those last two moveslots then I would definitely keep it A+ but like you said the qualities it possess make it a top tier threat predominantly against offense, but also against other styles depending on the moveset. I am still not sure if I comfortable with it in S, but I certainly do not oppose it.

And I actually came here to ask for gallade to get a demotion, I was just about to start a team with gallade today and I was thinking to myself, "what the hell does gallade even do?". I mean you see the 165 attack stat and access to swords dance and the 110 speed tier,with respectable bulk and your intial reaction is S RANK NOWW!! But after using him and trying to build with him I honestly think it kinda sucks, close combat hits hard sure, but its not hard enough against common defensive walls like slowbro, hippodown, and skarmory, and then its not quite fast enough to sweep through offensive teams, and I find it only does well against these HO teams if you are VERY good at preidcting. Most of the time galalde just fired off a hit only to be forced out the next turn. I could go into more detail, but theres no need you can try it for yourself and see that he just underpeforms despite what seem to be amazing qualities. It just requires too many threts to be eliminated before it can do any real work, and does not fit the A+ description. Not to mention it basically is just deadweight against any decently built stall team, I just cant see a reason to keep it in A+, drop Gallade(mega) to A.

image.jpg

Hydreigon moves from D to S+++++
JK
Hydreigon moves from D to B-

Hydreigon is a versatile and powerful threat in the current metagame. It's has excellent mixed attacking stats, powerful stab options and pretty much the best movepool in the tier. It has two sets it primarily runs. Life orb mixed attacker and choice scarf, both are which their effective against different play styles. Life mixed attacker performs excellently against stall, particularly if their running mega Slowbro oppose to mega sableye. It also does extremely well against balanced cores. Scarf Hydreigon uses its large movepool and power to trash offensive teams, as scarf Hydreigon outspeeds scarf landerus Therian, the most popular scarfer on offence. Hydreigon also has a movepool so diverse that, similarly to Greninja, it can "pick" what stops it. Ferrothorn giving you trouble? Run Fire blast. Tyranitar? Superpower. Heatran? Earth Power. Fairies? Iron Tail. Hydreigon is definentley a pokemon that deserves a raise.

image.jpg

Mega Gyrados from A+ to S

I agree with mega Lopunny nomination. However, I feel Mega Gyarados needs some love and attention. This this brings stall to its knees with mold breaker taunt, meaning it can actually set up on mega sableye and Slowbro (unless Slowbro gets a lucky scald burn). Gyarados sets up on so many things, and with enough boosts, it can sweep whole teams. Sure, mega Altaria and clef able give it some issues, but every pokemon has counters (except bw Hydreigon...). Non unaware clefable takes a ton from a boosted waterfall anyway. Gyarados can also use its non mega ability, intimidate, to force a switch on a physicl attacker and thennbegin boosting. It's gotten much better with the lack off Greninja as well. I think it deserves S.

View attachment 32650

I agree with mega Lopunny nomination. However, I feel Mega Gyarados needs some love and attention. This this brings stall to its knees with mold breaker taunt, meaning it can actually set up on mega sableye and Slowbro (unless Slowbro gets a lucky scald burn). Gyarados sets up on so many things, and with enough boosts, it can sweep whole teams. Sure, mega Altaria and clef able give it some issues, but every pokemon has counters (except bw Hydreigon...). Non unaware clefable takes a ton from a boosted waterfall anyway. Gyarados can also use its non mega ability, intimidate, to force a switch on a physicl attacker and thennbegin boosting. It's gotten much better with the lack off Greninja as well. I think it deserves S.
Sub>Taunt imo, to avoid those Scald burns and to stop prankster T-Wave. And Mold Breaker actually ignores Unaware, so Clefable isn't safe :)

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Mega Gallade -> A Rank

Yeah I've talked with TRC about Mega Gallade and I absolutely agree that it should drop, if only just because of how dominant and effective Mega Sableye is in the current metagame. Please don't bring up Skill Swap because it's a gimmicky and over-specific option, not to mention that Gallade needs every single one of its coverage slots or it suffers. Anyways, Mega Sableye being so common is utterly crippling for Mega Gallade if it wants to call itself a wall/stallbreaker. It's so common on stall and even balanced builds in this metagame and makes Mega Gallade a liability. Another common Pokemon that stops Mega Gallade in its tracks is Mega Slowbro, which is quickly gaining popularity on balanced builds in the Greninja-less metagame and is devastatingly effective; Iron Defense CM variants are particularly potent to Gallade and have the potential to sweep whole offensive teams given the opportunity. Another problem is Unaware Clefable, which is practically mandatory on current stall and has more popularity on balanced than it did before, and is a perfect wall to Mega Gallade. Other Pokemon like defensive Landorus-T, bulky Mega Altaria, and certain revenge killers/checks further limit the effectiveness Mega Gallade has against balanced teams. And offense has a myriad of revenge killers/faster Pokemon that can deal with it. There's also Mega Lopunny, which is miles better against offensive teams and isn't walled by Mega Sableye while having a high degree of versatility and the ability to wear down or cripple many things that are considered its counters. For example, Mega Lopunny has room to run Toxic, which allows it to wear down Mega Slowbro, Unaware Clefable, and defensive Landorus-T to the point where they become non-issues, while Adamant (a very legitimate option in the Greninja-less metagame) HJK actually 2HKOes Skarmory after SR so you can't count that as a problem. The towering presences of Mega Lopunny and Mega Sableye are too much for Mega Gallade to remain in A+ Rank with Megas that are overall significantly more effective in the metagame.

Mega Sableye -> S Rank

At this point I think I agree with Mega Lopunny for S Rank, but if it goes to S Rank then Mega Sableye should too, as it is just as if not more dominant than Mega Lopunny in the metagame as a whole. I made a post about it awhile ago that still contains many relevant points:
I think that Sableye is the best Mega in ORAS besides the obvious Mence and Metagross. It should definitely be A+, if not S Rank (leaning towards the latter). Mega Sableye really catapults XY Stall to a whole new level, for a few reasons. Like nothing else, it gives stall the power to control the tempo of the match and put pressure on the opponent, which is critical in this generation because it can allow stall to keep up with the pace of offense and actually put pressure on them to make plays. Prankster Will-O-Wisp is a powerful form of anti-offense support, and with physical attackers burned combined with Calm Mind boosts and a dearth of weaknesses, very little on offensive teams can actually stop Mega Sableye due to sheer bulk. It sets up on all kinds of Pokemon, easily tanking at least one hit from most any physical attacker even if it's Mega Evolved, then burning it, or just burning while unevolved. Many special attackers that come in can't break it after a CM, including Pokemon like Keldeo, Greninja, Latios, Gengar, Thundurus, Mega Sceptile, and offensive Heatran. Here are some calcs from my post in the ORAS Mega discussion thread that demonstrate its bulk.
252 Atk Adaptability Mega Beedrill U-turn vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Sableye: 106-126 (34.8 - 41.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Sableye: 109-130 (35.8 - 42.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
244 Atk Life Orb Mamoswine Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Sableye: 133-156 (43.7 - 51.3%) -- 5.9% chance to 2HKO
252 Atk Tough Claws Metagross Meteor Mash vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Sableye: 132-156 (43.4 - 51.3%) -- 4.7% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Greninja Hydro Pump vs. +1 252 HP / 4 SpD Sableye: 118-140 (38.8 - 46%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Mega Sceptile Leaf Storm vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Sableye: 204-241 (67.1 - 79.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 SpA Clefable Moonblast vs. +1 252 HP / 4 SpD Sableye: 116-140 (38.1 - 46%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. +1 252 HP / 4 SpD Sableye: 159-187 (52.3 - 61.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Sableye: 159-187 (52.3 - 61.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Shadow Ball vs. +1 252 HP / 4 SpD Sableye: 101-121 (33.2 - 39.8%) -- 100% chance to 3HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Latios Draco Meteor vs. +1 252 HP / 4 SpD Sableye: 165-195 (54.2 - 64.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 SpA Clefable Moonblast vs. +1 252 HP / 4 SpD Sableye: 116-140 (38.1 - 46%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Mega Sableye also provides a valuable form of hazard control. Unlike the other Magic Bouncers (Mega Diancie being the only viable one but also Espeon and Xatu), Mega Sableye actually beats the vast majority of SR setters, the only exceptions being SR Landorus-I and Clefable (+ maybe Heatran because it doesn't like burns from that?). SR Landorus-I is pretty uncommon anyways because it appreciates its coverage, or RP to devastate offense, and while Clefable can get up Rocks on Mega Sableye, it fails to deal with it adequately unlike an Unaware and/or CM set -- it's actually setup fodder as shown in the calcs. It also pairs well with Tentacruel, which easily handles Clefable as well as Spikes Greninja. Anyways, what comes with this is that Mega Sableye can completely shut down nuisances like Ferrothorn that could just keep coming in and setting up hazards with virtually no repercussions. It also is able to spinblock Excadrill and bulky Starmie, which combined with shutting down SR setters gives stall teams a massive leg up in the hazard game, as they can get hazards while the opponent pretty much fails to. This is another important piece of pressuring opposing teams with stall. It also prevents opposing balanced/stall teams from getting up their hazards, and can threaten these teams as a fat win con, too.

All in all, Mega Sableye is a pretty crazy mon that serves so many purposes. It provides anti-offense support with Prankster Will-O-Wisp, a devastating win con vs all playstyles that can't even be phazed, anti-hazard support, a spinblocker, status absorber of sorts, stallbreaker, and an answer to many physical attackers as well as a check to like 3/4 of the tier (not an exaggeration). Definitely needs a rise.
An argument against rising Mega Sableye to S Rank is that certain SR setters, those being SR Mega Diancie, Earth Plate Landorus-T, Lum SD Garchomp, SR Landorus-I, offensive Heatran, and SR Clefable, can set up the hazard on Mega Sableye and thus limit its effectiveness as a form of hazard control. The thing is though that there's a lot of opportunity cost involved in running some of these sets/Pokemon that is mostly suboptimal besides beating Mega Sableye. Mega Diancie has so much capability as an RP sweeper, Landorus-T would typically much rather be running a defensive set so i tcan actually check the likes of Mega Lopunny, Mega Metagross, Talonflame, Excadrill, Mega Gallade, etc effectively, and Clefable would much rather be running CM especially because it needs crits to beat CM Mega Sableye if it doesn't. Offensive Heatran is actually walled by Mega Sableye that run some SpD. Lum SD Garchomp and Landorus-I are solid options that can threaten Mega Sableye while setting up Stealth Rock, but that is two Pokemon out of all the SR setters in the tier. Even if you disregard opportunity cost, it's not like Mega Sableye can't be backed by further anti-SR support if you really need it. Tentacruel synergizes extremely well with Mega Sableye and can spin away Stealth Rock, for instance. Starmie is an option for balanced teams and you can still use a Defogger for emergency situations if needed. The fact is that in addition to its other qualities, Mega Sableye beats the majority of SR setters in the OU tier without even having to waste a turn to get rid of the hazard, a feat that is unparalleled. It also stops balanced and bulky offensive teams from employing sets like Spikes Ferrothorn to wear down stall teams, as Mega Sableye stops that with ease. Because the setters that can beat Mega Sableye are mostly offensive, it is difficult for balanced to incorporate Pokemon that can set up the SR needed to pressure defensive teams.

Mega Sableye is also the catalyst for the massive surge in viability that stall has had in ORAS. It provides control over the hazard game, a threatening win condition, a utility check to many common Pokemon, Prankster Will-O-Wisp, and a spinblocker. It performs well against every single playstyle. Mega Sableye also has a somewhat centralizing effect on the OU tier. The answers to it as a CM sweeper and just breaking it are fairly limited, so specific answers/checks like Mega Altaria, CB Azumarill, CM Clefable, SubCM Keldeo, Mega Gardevoir, Mega Lopunny, SpD SD Talonflame, Mega Diancie, Mega Charizard X, Mega Charizard Y, Sub/Taunt Mega Gyarados, TG RD Manaphy, and Suicune become really important. Some of these Pokemon are just checks that can't really switch in; the list of viable switch-ins is even shorter than this. Another thing is people running sets just to beat Mega Sableye; things like Skill Swap Azelf, SD sash Terrakion, Skill Swap Mega Gallade, Substitute Tentacruel, Dazzling Gleam Mega Alakazam, and SD Gliscor (which is actually a very underrated set, but I'm including this here because it's not really used) are some examples of sets that are either unviable, inefficient, or unusable other than beating Mega Sableye. A few sets like Taunt Gliscor, stallbreaker Mew, Taunt + WoW Talonflame, and Taunt + Roost Mega Aerodactyl have all but disappeared from the metagame because they were meant to function well against defensive teams but are walled by Mega Sableye. Mega Sableye is also the single largest reason that Mega Gallade is rarely seen in the current metagame. It is easy to see that Mega Sableye has a centralizing and dominating effect on the current OU metagame that is still enormously effective despite the fact that people have adapted to it, as it is a limiting factor in teambuilding and in battles itself. It deserves S Rank.

As an aside, I'd like to highlight the effectiveness of hazard-centered Mega Sableye balanced builds. Mega Sableye prevents opposing teams from maintaining hazard pressure while spinblocking and providing a platform for hazard pressure, especially if well-supported to limit/eliminate Defoggers. Mega Sableye is mostly seen as a stall Pokemon, but it can be really effective on balance as well.

I'll probably explain some of these later, but for now here are some other things regarding the A+ through C+ rankings that I don't feel like explaining right now or that others have already explained effectively enough:

Mega Lopunny -> S
Hydreigon -> C+ (B- is too high imo and stop overhyping the Scarf set ffs, the LO set is good though)
Mega Ampharos -> C-
Mega Latias -> A-
Mega Heracross -> B+/B
Manaphy -> A
Terrakion -> B+
Mew -> B
Mega Beedrill -> B+
Mega Tyranitar -> C+
Mega Pidgeot -> B-
Togekiss -> C+ (this thing is garbage why are people hyping it I don't get it?)
Conkeldurr -> B

I'll make another post regarding the C through D Ranks because I have a lot to say about those.

Stay in A+
maybe it's just me, but I don't think qyarados is quite able to call itself S. What you said is very true, and mold breaker taunt is really freaking great in this meta, and a sweeper being able to set up on stall, while still being able to clean offence is also quite amazing. What i think pulls it down is the following.

-No reliable recovery
-sr weak before mega evolving
-Prone to burn/status in general (but what sweeper is not)
-slight 4mss
-Mediocre move base power

Reliable recovery is not really a must for sweepers, but it is really freaking useful for stallbreakers, which is, according to your post, one of the jobs qyarados do. Mold breaker taunt is useful to stop a twave from chansey, will o wisp from sableye or a whirlwind from skarmory, but it is not an immunity, and you just risk taking 25-35% damage from a brave bird or seismic toss. and with no reliable recovery and kind of weak to stealth rocks, this is NOT something megadoss appreciates. I guess it would be more appropriate to say its prone to being worn down, rather than claiming no recovery is an issue, but w/e

With prone to status, i mean scald burns. It's fine that it can beat slowbro and sableye stall, but it still requires it to. A) force the opponent to mega evolve sableye before setting up with gyara. Or B) Find a setup opportunity outside of megabro, or you will lose a cold 60% of the time to scald burns. This is fixed with a sub dd set, but then its still beaten by roar and whirlwind.

The 4mss is really only between taunt and sub (well, ice fang an eq is nice, but in no way necessary) one set beats one poke, the other beats another.

The last issue is honestly the one who drags it down the most. Gyara is gifted with great offensive capabilities, but without access to boosting items and an ability that does not raise attack power, gyarados will often find itself dealing a bit less than you would expect it to. Both its STAB moves have a bp of 80. Compare this to mega zard who have flare blitz at 120, and mega alteria with pixilate return at 133. I have some calcs bellow that shows how this will often effect its sweep.
vs

+1 252 Atk Mold Breaker Mega Gyarados Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 127-151 (38 - 45.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 Atk Skarmory Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Gyarados: 100-118 (30.2 - 35.6%) -- 32.5% chance to 3HKO
vs

252 Atk Mold Breaker Mega Gyarados Crunch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 140-168 (35.5 - 42.6%) -- 91.7% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

+1 252 Atk Mold Breaker Mega Gyarados Waterfall vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Garchomp: 234-276 (65.5 - 77.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 252 Atk Mold Breaker Mega Gyarados Waterfall vs. 72 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard X: 204-241 (64.7 - 76.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Here's a comparison to the other two ''dd sweepers''

252 Atk Mold Breaker Mega Gyarados Waterfall vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Manectric: 178-211 (63.3 - 75%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Dragon Claw vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Manectric: 208-246 (74 - 87.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
or
252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Flare Blitz vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Manectric: 313-369 (111.3 - 131.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
or
252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Fire Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Manectric: 196-232 (69.7 - 82.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Pixilate Altaria Return vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Manectric: 255-300 (90.7 - 106.7%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
or
252 Atk Altaria Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Manectric: 234-276 (83.2 - 98.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Edit:
Sub>Taunt imo, to avoid those Scald burns and to stop prankster T-Wave. And Mold Breaker actually ignores Unaware, so Clefable isn't safe :)
I agree for most part, but then it is still beaten be roar and whirlwind, and also have to play the 50/50 game while trying to beat chansey... which it only can do 3 times.

Huntail for D/C-

Huntail can now use Sucker Punch + Baton Pass, making it slightly more effective than its counterpart Gorebyss.
That's about it, Smashpass isn't that great in OU, but it can work on the right conditions, and the access to priority is a blessing for this thing, knowing how not so fast they are, even at +2.

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
Jukain brought up Mega Latias to A-; normally, this is where I'd be hyping up Mega Latias, but I agree with that drop.

Mega Latias can potentially be very strong, especially with Stored Power and stuff. After just two Calm Minds, Stored Power hits harder BP-wise than Psychic; after three, it's stronger than Draco Meteor. However, it's not really doing anything to anything without its boosts unless it runs Dragon Pulse (which means giving up Substitute,) although finding stuff to set up on isn't difficult (Keldeo, Charizard Y, Rotom-W immediately come to mind just off the top of my head, and all of these are A (A+ in Keldeo's case)) and, thanks to Stored Power, it actually wins Calm Mind wars against most other CM users, except for Mega Sableye who stomps all over it and uses it as setup bait while other Dark-types can trap it with Pursuit, so it requires a bit more support than the likes of the Pokemon residing in A-rank; however, it is stronger than the Pokemon residing in B+, especially with regards to how easy it is to set up and sweep consistently (well, you have to remove Dark-types first but you get my point) so A- is the ideal placement for Mega Latias for now. If Mega Sableye didn't exist, I'd say it'd be A for sure, but it does, so...

Mega Latias to A-

Other nominations I agree with:

Mega Sableye to S
Mega Lopunny to S
Mega Pidgeot to B-
Espeon to D (seriously, this thing sucks)
Hydreigon to B-/C+
Mega Beedrill to B+
Mega Gallade to A

Mega Gallade -> A Rank

Yeah I've talked with TRC about Mega Gallade and I absolutely agree that it should drop, if only just because of how dominant and effective Mega Sableye is in the current metagame. Please don't bring up Skill Swap because it's a gimmicky and over-specific option, not to mention that Gallade needs every single one of its coverage slots or it suffers. Anyways, Mega Sableye being so common is utterly crippling for Mega Gallade if it wants to call itself a wall/stallbreaker. It's so common on stall and even balanced builds in this metagame and makes Mega Gallade a liability. Another common Pokemon that stops Mega Gallade in its tracks is Mega Slowbro, which is quickly gaining popularity on balanced builds in the Greninja-less metagame and is devastatingly effective; Iron Defense CM variants are particularly potent to Gallade and have the potential to sweep whole offensive teams given the opportunity. Another problem is Unaware Clefable, which is practically mandatory on current stall and has more popularity on balanced than it did before, and is a perfect wall to Mega Gallade. Other Pokemon like defensive Landorus-T, bulky Mega Altaria, and certain revenge killers/checks further limit the effectiveness Mega Gallade has against balanced teams. And offense has a myriad of revenge killers/faster Pokemon that can deal with it. There's also Mega Lopunny, which is miles better against offensive teams and isn't walled by Mega Sableye while having a high degree of versatility and the ability to wear down or cripple many things that are considered its counters. For example, Mega Lopunny has room to run Toxic, which allows it to wear down Mega Slowbro, Unaware Clefable, and defensive Landorus-T to the point where they become non-issues, while Adamant (a very legitimate option in the Greninja-less metagame) HJK actually 2HKOes Skarmory after SR so you can't count that as a problem. The towering presences of Mega Lopunny and Mega Sableye are too much for Mega Gallade to remain in A+ Rank with Megas that are overall significantly more effective in the metagame.

Mega Sableye -> S Rank

At this point I think I agree with Mega Lopunny for S Rank, but if it goes to S Rank then Mega Sableye should too, as it is just as if not more dominant than Mega Lopunny in the metagame as a whole. I made a post about it awhile ago that still contains many relevant points:

An argument against rising Mega Sableye to S Rank is that certain SR setters, those being SR Mega Diancie, Earth Plate Landorus-T, Lum SD Garchomp, SR Landorus-I, offensive Heatran, and SR Clefable, can set up the hazard on Mega Sableye and thus limit its effectiveness as a form of hazard control. The thing is though that there's a lot of opportunity cost involved in running some of these sets/Pokemon that is mostly suboptimal besides beating Mega Sableye. Mega Diancie has so much capability as an RP sweeper, Landorus-T would typically much rather be running a defensive set so i tcan actually check the likes of Mega Lopunny, Mega Metagross, Talonflame, Excadrill, Mega Gallade, etc effectively, and Clefable would much rather be running CM especially because it needs crits to beat CM Mega Sableye if it doesn't. Offensive Heatran is actually walled by Mega Sableye that run some SpD. Lum SD Garchomp and Landorus-I are solid options that can threaten Mega Sableye while setting up Stealth Rock, but that is two Pokemon out of all the SR setters in the tier. Even if you disregard opportunity cost, it's not like Mega Sableye can't be backed by further anti-SR support if you really need it. Tentacruel synergizes extremely well with Mega Sableye and can spin away Stealth Rock, for instance. Starmie is an option for balanced teams and you can still use a Defogger for emergency situations if needed. The fact is that in addition to its other qualities, Mega Sableye beats the majority of SR setters in the OU tier without even having to waste a turn to get rid of the hazard, a feat that is unparalleled. It also stops balanced and bulky offensive teams from employing sets like Spikes Ferrothorn to wear down stall teams, as Mega Sableye stops that with ease. Because the setters that can beat Mega Sableye are mostly offensive, it is difficult for balanced to incorporate Pokemon that can set up the SR needed to pressure defensive teams.

Mega Sableye is also the catalyst for the massive surge in viability that stall has had in ORAS. It provides control over the hazard game, a threatening win condition, a utility check to many common Pokemon, Prankster Will-O-Wisp, and a spinblocker. It performs well against every single playstyle. Mega Sableye also has a somewhat centralizing effect on the OU tier. The answers to it as a CM sweeper and just breaking it are fairly limited, so specific answers/checks like Mega Altaria, CB Azumarill, CM Clefable, SubCM Keldeo, Mega Gardevoir, Mega Lopunny, SpD SD Talonflame, Mega Diancie, Mega Charizard X, Mega Charizard Y, Sub/Taunt Mega Gyarados, TG RD Manaphy, and Suicune become really important. Some of these Pokemon are just checks that can't really switch in; the list of viable switch-ins is even shorter than this. Another thing is people running sets just to beat Mega Sableye; things like Skill Swap Azelf, SD sash Terrakion, Skill Swap Mega Gallade, Substitute Tentacruel, Dazzling Gleam Mega Alakazam, and SD Gliscor (which is actually a very underrated set, but I'm including this here because it's not really used) are some examples of sets that are either unviable, inefficient, or unusable other than beating Mega Sableye. A few sets like Taunt Gliscor, stallbreaker Mew, Taunt + WoW Talonflame, and Taunt + Roost Mega Aerodactyl have all but disappeared from the metagame because they were meant to function well against defensive teams but are walled by Mega Sableye. Mega Sableye is also the single largest reason that Mega Gallade is rarely seen in the current metagame. It is easy to see that Mega Sableye has a centralizing and dominating effect on the current OU metagame that is still enormously effective despite the fact that people have adapted to it, as it is a limiting factor in teambuilding and in battles itself. It deserves S Rank.

As an aside, I'd like to highlight the effectiveness of hazard-centered Mega Sableye balanced builds. Mega Sableye prevents opposing teams from maintaining hazard pressure while spinblocking and providing a platform for hazard pressure, especially if well-supported to limit/eliminate Defoggers. Mega Sableye is mostly seen as a stall Pokemon, but it can be really effective on balance as well.

I'll probably explain some of these later, but for now here are some other things regarding the A+ through C+ rankings that I don't feel like explaining right now or that others have already explained effectively enough:

Mega Lopunny -> S
Hydreigon -> C+ (B- is too high imo and stop overhyping the Scarf set ffs, the LO set is good though)
Mega Ampharos -> C-
Mega Latias -> A-
Mega Heracross -> B+/B
Manaphy -> A
Terrakion -> B+
Mew -> B
Mega Beedrill -> B+
Mega Tyranitar -> C+
Mega Pidgeot -> B-
Togekiss -> C+ (this thing is garbage why are people hyping it I don't get it?)
Conkeldurr -> B

I'll make another post regarding the C through D Ranks because I have a lot to say about those.
I agree with both of these. All the pokemon you mentioned that set up on mega sableye have better things to be doing, since they have much more potential in other areas. Mega Sableye is very centralizing, and pulls it's wait against every play style. Answers to its calm mind set are limited, and some can even be considered gimmicky. Move to S. Also guys, ignore the mega Gyarados to S nomination, as WideTomato made me question own nomination. Lopunny should be moved to S Asap. Destroys offensive teams easily and can murder mega sableye with high jump kick.

vs

+1 252 Atk Mold Breaker Mega Gyarados Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 127-151 (38 - 45.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 Atk Skarmory Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Gyarados: 100-118 (30.2 - 35.6%) -- 32.5% chance to 3HKO
vs

252 Atk Mold Breaker Mega Gyarados Crunch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 140-168 (35.5 - 42.6%) -- 91.7% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

+1 252 Atk Mold Breaker Mega Gyarados Waterfall vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Garchomp: 234-276 (65.5 - 77.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 252 Atk Mold Breaker Mega Gyarados Waterfall vs. 72 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard X: 204-241 (64.7 - 76.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Here's a comparison to the other two ''dd sweepers''

252 Atk Mold Breaker Mega Gyarados Waterfall vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Manectric: 178-211 (63.3 - 75%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Dragon Claw vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Manectric: 208-246 (74 - 87.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
or
252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Flare Blitz vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Manectric: 313-369 (111.3 - 131.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
or
252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Fire Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Manectric: 196-232 (69.7 - 82.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Pixilate Altaria Return vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Manectric: 255-300 (90.7 - 106.7%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
or
252 Atk Altaria Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Manectric: 234-276 (83.2 - 98.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
hey, correct me if im wrong but dont most megyaras run adamant? and why are some of your calcs at +1 and some arent? why are they all facing different opponents?
realistically it should look something like this
+1 252+ Atk Mold Breaker Mega Gyarados Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 139-165 (41.6 - 49.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252+ Atk Mold Breaker Mega Gyarados Crunch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Slowbro: 230-272 (58.3 - 69%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (like no one uses max/max slowbro but whatever)
+1 252+ Atk Mold Breaker Mega Gyarados Waterfall vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Garchomp: 256-303 (71.7 - 84.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (why did you pick chomp... that just seems like such a random choice.)
+1 252+ Atk Mold Breaker Mega Gyarados Crunch vs. 72 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard X: 223-264 (70.7 - 83.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

but uh whatever. gyara loses to certain stuff. so do zard and altaria? gyara has an easier time with stall, and isnt deadweight against any playstyle. it has a hella good ability pre-post mega, and an important thing that sets it apart from a lot of megas; you can still viably use its base form. you can put off mega evolving to suit your needs. keldeo still healthy? keep in base form so it cant really touch you. excadrill gonna crush ur team unless it gets to -1? got that intimidate. unlike things like zard, lopunny or altaria, it has a hella viable base form so you dont have to immediately mega evo. gyarados is a really unprepared for threat in this meta that demolishes stall, and is generally an amazing offensive threat. supporting gyara to s

other things i support!
pidg to b-
base-meta to unranked
hydreigon to c (i havent really used it, but LO set is a pain to face)
gourgeist-xl should stay unranked (gourg-small coutclasses it tbh
toge to c+
manaphy to a
sable to s
kinda on the fence about lop tho

also, why is meloetta ranked... like what does it have to bring to the table?

hey, correct me if im wrong but dont most megyaras run adamant? and why are some of your calcs at +1 and some arent? why are they all facing different opponents?
realistically it should look something like this
+1 252+ Atk Mold Breaker Mega Gyarados Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 139-165 (41.6 - 49.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252+ Atk Mold Breaker Mega Gyarados Crunch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Slowbro: 230-272 (58.3 - 69%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (like no one uses max/max slowbro but whatever)
+1 252+ Atk Mold Breaker Mega Gyarados Waterfall vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Garchomp: 256-303 (71.7 - 84.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (why did you pick chomp... that just seems like such a random choice.)
+1 252+ Atk Mold Breaker Mega Gyarados Crunch vs. 72 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard X: 223-264 (70.7 - 83.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

but uh whatever. gyara loses to certain stuff. so do zard and altaria? gyara has an easier time with stall, and isnt deadweight against any playstyle. it has a hella good ability pre-post mega, and an important thing that sets it apart from a lot of megas; you can still viably use its base form. you can put off mega evolving to suit your needs. keldeo still healthy? keep in base form so it cant really touch you. excadrill gonna crush ur team unless it gets to -1? got that intimidate. unlike things like zard, lopunny or altaria, it has a hella viable base form so you dont have to immediately mega evo. gyarados is a really unprepared for threat in this meta that demolishes stall, and is generally an amazing offensive threat.

other things i support!
pidg to b-
base-meta to unranked
hydreigon to c (i havent really used it, but LO set is a pain to face)
gourgeist-xl should stay unranked (gourg-small coutclasses it tbh
toge to c+
manaphy to a

also, why is meloetta ranked... like what does it have to bring to the table?
Gyarados needs to run Jolly to outspeed Mega Beedrill and Mega Lopunny at +1. (I swear there was another thing you had to outrun, but it's slipped my mind at the moment.)
EDIT: It's Mega Sceptile.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Gyarados needs to run Jolly to outspeed Mega Beedrill and Mega Lopunny at +1. (I swear there was another thing you had to outrun, but it's slipped my mind at the moment.)
M-Sceptile <- Ninja'd while typing this.

To add on to what everyone else is saying I don't agree with the idea of M-Gyarados being at S. I don't see it on the level of M-Sableye, M-Lopunny, M-Gross as far as what I feel are the hardest things to realistically take into account for. M-Gyarados is a threat, there's no arguing this but the notion that it just floors teams and is somehow at the level of an S rank threat is an exaggeration. You can't just plop M-Gyarados on a team and know right off the bat that it will always pull its weight when a majority of the time it needs enough help to bypass its general checks and counters such as Chesnaught who pretty much hard walls it or Keldeo in the sense it beats you if not running Earthquake. M-Gyarados unlike the first 3 mentioned is extremely linear and much more easier to take into account when team-building as well as in battle and unlike something such as M-Gross for one example, is not at the level of self sufficiency where I would consider this remotely top tier. It's fine in A+ for the time being.

I need to here some reasonings for M-Pidgeot in B- cause quite frankly I don't see the allure of it at all as far as occupying the B rank category regardless of its sub-rank. So if anyone can elaborate on that besides telling me the obvious "It hits Hurricane 100% time" that would be nice. I guess the best way to explain would be to explain to me why would I use this over Torn-T.

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Some changes I want to see:

Raikou B+ -> A- / A: Can someone please tell me why Raikou isnt in the A ranks? Because Ive been using him a lot lately, and hes good. Like really good. Like, his traits are pretty fucking amazing. He has a great Speed tier, decent special attack stat, and enough coverage to get the job done. Additionally, he has three viable sets: Sub CM, AV, and Specs. Ill talk about AV since its the one I absolutely adore and am basing this nomination on. AV allows Rakoi to check a bunch of top tier threats including, but not limited to: Thundurus, Gengar, Latios, Latias, Keldeo, Starmie, Talonflame, Mega Scizor, Rotom-W, and Slowbro. Every mon I listed falls to Raikou, with the exception of Mega Scizor if it is running Superpower on the Bulky SD set. Thats a lot of mons, and unlike Mega Mane, Raikou has no opportunity cost, while also avoiding giving Bisharp a free attack boost. Additionally, Raikou provides momentum with Volt Switch, which allows it to fit very well on many Bulky Offense and Hyper Offense teams, as well as some balance. Overall Raikou has every quality that it needs to be placed in the A ranks and it should be ranked accordingly.

Talonflame A+ -> A: I realize that this nom is going to be controversial, but I honestly feel that Smogon Birds reign of terror is over. Dont get me wrong, Talon is still a really good mon, but I honestly dont feel very threatened by it as much as I used to. The prevalence of mons such as Rotom-W, Raikou, Landorus-T, Garchomp, Tyranitar, Sand Rush Excadrill, Heatran, and Mega Diancie make Brave Bird spam a liability, and a 4x weakness to Stealth Rock limits its switch in opportunities against a well played offensive team that has at least one of these mons (aka all of them). Additionally, a base 81 attack stat is honestly nothing special, as any coverge move Talon tries to run ends up being piss weak and outclassed by its STABs. The Jolly SD set is its best set IMO, but even then it fails to put in work against more than one or two mons, as Talonflames poor bulk and mediocre typing leave it pressured to Roost to keep healthy throughout the match. I realize Talonflame has a plethora of sets like Bulk Up, Wisp, Band, Lure, etc, but I really feel that the Meta has adapted to its presence that Talonflame is no longer the top tier threat it once was. Dont get me wrong, Talonflame is still good, but I honestly dont see it on par with better mons that reside in A+ such as Mega Lopunny, Gengar, Landorus, Keldeo, or Heatran.

Mega Manectric A -> A-/B+: Another somewhat controversial nom, but I can honestly sum it up in two words: Opportunity Cost. Yeah, I realize its usually a bad argument that gets disregarded almso immediately, but its true. There are so many Megas to choose from that Manectric is rarely the first one that comes to mind. I get that its good against offense and generates momemtum, but guess what? Mega Lopunny exists and its stronger, has a better typing (resists SR), has better coverage, and puts in work against stall, which is something that completely shuts Mega Mane down. Additionally, theres this Pokemon that exists called Raikou, and it does everything Mega Mane does without the opportunity cost. Yeah its a tad bit worse as it loses to Ferro and Excadrill, but it allows you to run another Mega that can handle those, such as hey, Lopunny. Another thing that I feel is definitely worth mentioning is the fact that Mega Mane gives Bisharp a free attack boost. This may not seem that notable but the amount of Bisharp-weak teams that exist is too damn high and giving one of the most threatening mons in the game a free attack boost and kill (+1 252+ Atk Bisharp Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Manectric: 250-295 (88.9 - 104.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock) is not a good thing and that on top of its opportunity cost makes Mega Mane a sub optimal pick for offensive teams imo, and it warrants a drop to A- or even B+ where Raikou currently resides.

Conkeldurr B- -> B: I already posted on this already so Ill just quote it:

Clone said:
I want to post on something since I'm back from vacation so I'll make a nomination of Conkeldurr for B.

Conk has only gotten better with the transition to ORAS. Fairy types took a hit with the introduction of Mega Metagross, while other hard stops like Talonflame and Mega Pinsir have fallen in usage. On top of this, Conk has all the right tools to make a nice home on balance and bulky offense teams as a stop to Greninja, which is arguably the best Pokémon in the metagame right now. This last part is important because Greninja matches up really well against many balance / bulky offense builds, which applies massive pressure on the non Greninja player. However, when Conk is on a balanced team, a lot of pressure is relieved, as Conk fears nothing from the standard Gunk Shot / Low Kick / Ice Beam / Dark Pulse set. Extrasensory is a problem, but that move only works on lure sets so I'll ignore it for now.

Aside from handling Greninja quite well, conk fares relatively decently against many offense and balance builds, as he beats mons like Bisharp, Tyranitar, Rotom-W, Heatran, Ferrothorn, and Thundurus, to name a few. All of these are from the S and A ranks, which just goes to show how good conk actually is. His bulk is nothing short of stellar, as very few things can actually OHKO him, and of those that can, they are all STAB SE Physical attacks from mons that have defined checks and counters such as Clefable for Latios, or Rotom-W for Azumarill. On top of this, access to priority Mach Punch is extremely clutch in many situations and should never be overlooked, especially if Guts, one of the best abilities for a mon like conk, has been activated.

Now, I realize that conk suffers from a few flaws, such as a relatively weak STAB in Drain a punch and terrible speed tier, but neither of those things should stop him from moving up a rank. His low speed does force him to take hits before he can attack, yes, but Drain Punch is conks main STAB move and it provides him with semi-reliable recovery. On top of this, access to moves such as Knock Off, Poison Jab, and the elemental Punches can help conk cover his weaknesses to certain checks. For example, with a little bit of speed investment, Conk can beat Azumarill 1v1 if running Poison Jab. This also applies to x mon when running x move in x situation.

Conk has definitely fallen from Grace since the early days of XY, but that hasn't stopped the clown-nosed fighting type from holding onto his spot in OU as the best bulky fighting type in the game. The niche he holds in the current meta is more than enough to warrant a raise to B and I support it wholeheartedly. B rank fits him perfectly as it's for mons that have definable niches but don't fit on every team, and that description fits Conkeldurr to a T.

Conkeldurr for B
Now, for cleaning up of the lower ranks:

Ditto: C -> D / Unranked: Can someone please name 3 good reasons to run this? Its only semi-viable set is a Choice Scarf set, which is easily taken advantage of by any competent player. Its honestly such a sub optimal choice on a team that if you have to use it for whatever reason, chances are your team sucks and you should start from scratch. Ive never considered this for a serious team (keyword: serious), and that goes to say something seeing as Ive used shit like Cofagrigus, Dragalge, Pangoro, Thundy-T, and Volcarona. Either move this to D since it has an extremely small niche, or unrank it altogether.

Froslass: C -> D / Unranked: Azelf, Garchomp, Lando-I, Terrakion, Mamoswine, Shuckle, Lando-T, and even Skarmory (yeah Skarmory, Weak Armor + SR + Spikes is legit) outclass it as a Suicide Lead, which honeslty gives it no niche in OU. Yeah Destiny Bond + Spinblocking your own hazards is nice and all, but Froslass has next to no offensive presence and is easily taken advantage of by any cometent player. The addition of Mega Metagross, Mega Lopunny, Mega Sableye, and a rise in usage of Mega Scizor does this thing no favors and honestly renders it obsolete. Unrank it please.

Tornadus: C- -> Unranked: Torn-T exists, and as long as that thing remains in OU, theres literally no reason to run its incarnate forme. Its frail as fuck, and loses to a plethora of mons residing in the S - C ranks its not even funny. Oh, and Mega Pidgeot is faster, has better bulk, has a higher SAtk stat, and doesnt miss with Hurricane. Unrank please.

Noivern C- -> Unranked: Latios, Latias, and Hydreigon exist, and that alone is a reason to unrank this thing. Its niche of being a fast non scarf Dragon back in the day is no longer relevant, and to top it all off its piss weak. Its Focus Blast cant even OHKO 0/0 Excadrill ffs. Theres really no reason to run it in OU and it should me moved off the list.

Venomoth: D -> Unranked: Last time I saw this I was on the lower ladder in the 1100s and the dude I was facing was terrible. Unless your name is ben gay, there is absolutely no reason to use this piece of crap on a serious team, and it being ranked just clutters the rankings up. Use Smeargle if you want to Quiver Pass.

Other stuff I agree with:

Mega Lopunny to A
Mega Sableye to A
Mega Gallade to A
Tentacruel to B
Klefki to B+ / A-
Hydreigon to C+
Manaphy to A
Mega Beedrill to B+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)