Resource ORAS OU Viability Ranking Thread V4

Status
Not open for further replies.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
TheNegativeOne

It's down there (and should be down there) because it doesnt even hold any significant meta game relevancy along with the fact theres much better means to handle all of the stuff it supposably checks. Packing more resistances than Rotom-W is relevant to what resistances would actually be useful. The only way Rotom-H breaks down a Clefable is through its Snatch set and after that I'm pretty positive every other relevant fairy has the means to beat it, and if it's not Snatch Rotom-H then that's a CM Clefs win in the long run. M-Diancie destroys it, M-Gard isn't gonna exactly care, Azu can just pick it off with band Jet. Walling Char-Y doesnt seem like a good niche when it's gonna take a good amount from Focus Blast and Rocks every time it comes in along with the fact every average team has enough tools to pressure a Zard-Y, really isn't that difficult. Are we talking a bulky Rotom-H or a speedy one? because your list of what it checks, some of these are not as serious as you make it, contradicts each other as you can't be implying both at once. Rotom-H is weak to a lot of common stuff outside of just maybe the 3 or so you mentioned. I think you're also taking for granted the idea of what's in those same ranks when those are either garbage that they should drop in the future or don't have much meta relevancy either outside of niche uses where a huge argument wouldn't be necessary. I don't think Rotom-H should be in the same boat as the majority of C+ stuff.

Before the theorymonners of OU Forum flood just know this isn't a starting point for people to suggest dropping lower rank stuff there's already a ton of stuff that'll probably be changing and no need to go all crazy.

TheNegativeOne

It's down there (and should be down there) because it doesnt even hold any significant meta game relevancy along with the fact theres much better means to handle all of the stuff it supposably checks. Packing more resistances than Rotom-W is relevant to what resistances would actually be useful. The only way Rotom-H breaks down a Clefable is through its Snatch set and after that I'm pretty positive every other relevant fairy has the means to beat it, and if it's not Snatch Rotom-H then that's a CM Clefs win in the long run. M-Diancie destroys it, M-Gard isn't gonna exactly care, Azu can just pick it off with band Jet. Walling Char-Y doesnt seem like a good niche when it's gonna take a good amount from Focus Blast and Rocks every time it comes in along with the fact every average team has enough tools to pressure a Zard-Y, really isn't that difficult. Are we talking a bulky Rotom-H or a speedy one? because your list of what it checks, some of these are not as serious as you make it, contradicts each other as you can't be implying both at once. Rotom-H is weak to a lot of common stuff outside of just maybe the 3 or so you mentioned. I think you're also taking for granted the idea of what's in those same ranks when those are either garbage that they should drop in the future or don't have much meta relevancy either outside of niche uses where a huge argument wouldn't be necessary. I don't think Rotom-H should be in the same boat as the majority of C+ stuff.

Before the theorymonners of OU Forum flood just know this isn't a starting point for people to suggest dropping lower rank stuff there's already a ton of stuff that'll probably be changing and no need to go all crazy.
I meant in general it can cover said pokemon. Of course it can't cover all of those at the same time. I was referring to the pokemon that it can beat with all of it's viable sets. Rotom-W for example can't beat offensive Mega Scizor unless it itself is a speedy variant. And also, good point on Mega Diancie, I had forgotten about it. I've just been using it recently and it's been putting in work against some pretty solid teams. If needed, I can get some replays of it in the current meta.

p2

Banned deucer.
rotomh was good a couple months ago when scizor was really hyped + when electris were really annoying. still wasnt b- material though because it needs a hefty amount of support and it just flops against sand, rocks, grounds and waters in general.

its far from rising at this point but its cash as fuck. fast is also the only good rotomh set tho, ohkoing loomer is one of the main selling points.

f ipad

Yeah, in retrospect, you guys are probably right. I think I overhyped it a little bit, but I still think it's better than what the VR shows. Maybe later I'll bring this up again whence the meta shifts.

i think latios should rise to s rank. it's so good. see usage in spl: #1 in usage six times, or second/third in usage in any other weak, usually by landorus-t. it's powerful, has great synergy with like everything, provides the best defog in the game, and is incredibly easy to use. like seriously, there's never a time where you're like "hey, i don't think latios fits this team" unless you're running like... stall, i guess? i'm not sure, but i do know on the opposite hand you need to prepare for latios. heatran gets bodied by surf / earthquake, and its other checks/counters are getting hit by the now common tbolt (skarm). it should move up because it's really defining in the current metagame. dark-type spam is going down, latios can break through bulky ground-types, and latios doesn't even care about much else with mega altaria falling out of favor. all of this, and it's not a mega pokemon. yeah steel-types are annoying, but even hp fire isn't a bad choice (though that speed sucks). overall, latios is just so good and should be in the best ranking due to that.

m00ns disagrees though so i'm prolly wrong... but yeah! hoopa-u and lando-t should be s also but everyone else already covered that. :0

oh also pursuit is annoying so that's mayB something that could hold it back but i'd like to think latios is s ;o.

i disagree with weavile going to A, while keldeo and jirachi rising may affect weavile viability, there is a plenty of good changes for weavile: rising of grass types(amoongus and tangrowth) rising of Mega Latias, rising of Torn-t, also two noms for rising are being discussed: Lando-t and chansey, weavile is great against both, also weavile checks a lot of top threats in the meta like latios, garchomp, hippodown, serperior, bisharp and ttar(with low kick), thundurus and slowbro. since mega latias and amoongus/tangrowth are reciveing a lot of hype i think weavile should stay A+

I would like to preface this post saying that I do not actually agree with latios going to s-rank. I think it's psychic typing is too easily taken advantage of in this meta and the mon plays too predictably to be ranked that high. That single move slot for optional coverage only goes so far.

However, an argument for it rising would be how well it pairs with mons that do not appreciate tyranitar. Think hoopa-u, alakazam, or zard-x. Lati's draco along with hazards usually deals enough damage to tar where these mons can wreck havoc. Also weakening the sand setter is always nice.

I personally do not think this is enough for lati to rise to s though.

Uh, Keldeo is S and that thing is WAY more predictable than Latios. Torn-T also runs just about the exact same moves on every set. So, predictability doesn't matter as much as you make it out to be. Latios is most definitely a meta defining pokemon, with a monstrous special attack with powerful STABs, a pretty good typing in all honesty, an ability to stop pokemon like Keldeo, Mega Manectric, Mega Charizard Y, Rotom-W, Breloom, and Mega Venusaur, the ability to remove hazards, it has access to reliable recovery, and multiple viable sets, such as Life Orb, Scarf, Specs, and Calm Mind. It also has a very good movepool, with access to moves such as Ice Beam, Thunderbolt, Surf, Earthquake, Hidden Power Fire, and Shadow Ball. So, I think we should at least put Latios to S on the discussion slate. I think it certainly stands out among the many A+ mons.

Uh, Keldeo is S and that thing is WAY more predictable than Latios. Torn-T also runs just about the exact same moves on every set. So, predictability doesn't matter as much as you make it out to be. Latios is most definitely a meta defining pokemon, with a monstrous special attack with powerful STABs, a pretty good typing in all honesty, an ability to stop pokemon like Keldeo, Mega Manectric, Mega Charizard Y, Rotom-W, Breloom, and Mega Venusaur, the ability to remove hazards, it has access to reliable recovery, and multiple viable sets, such as Life Orb, Scarf, Specs, and Calm Mind. It also has a very good movepool, with access to moves such as Ice Beam, Thunderbolt, Surf, Earthquake, Hidden Power Fire, and Shadow Ball. So, I think we should at least put Latios to S on the discussion slate. I think it certainly stands out among the many A+ mons.
Latios to S was on the discussion slate a few weeks ago. Honestly, I don't really know what has actually changed for it to move up. Sand and therefore Pursuit Tyranitar is still very high in viability and usage. Aside from that, almost every competent team packs a Steel type to sponge a hit from Latios whether it's Klefki, Jirachi, Scizor, or Bisharp. In theory, it's massive movepool allows Latios to get around its checks, but often times you'll find yourself sacrificing a valuable move just to do so whether its Roost, Psyshock, or some other valuable coverage move.

I guess the biggest argument for Latios to S is the immense support it provides with Defog, its valuable resistances to Electric and Water, its power and the type synergy. But it's kind of in a similar boat with Landorus-T. Splashable, versatile, and great support options, but there are too many things in the current meta that can screw it over (the most prominent and relevant one being Pursuit Trapping). It's no doubt meta-defining and a true powerhouse in OU, but S-rank is pushing it.

I want to make a nomination.
Thundurus A+ ---> A

This thing has been getting worse for a while now and most of the electric types have lost a ton of viability in this sand infested meta. Pretty sure most people agree that Mega Manectric A ---> A- and Raikou A- ----> B+ and logically, it makes sense for Thundurus to drop a bit. It suffers from longevity issues. It doesn't fare well against Excadrill under sand and the fact that Tyranitar are using Chople berry. Prankster Thunder Wave is nice, but it is counterbalanced by the meta being strongly against it and its electric type brethren.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Gonna make a nom. Its not gonna be too big because ipad+pretty simplistic reasoning, but I wanted to bring this up regardless.

Mega Absol --> Unranked

Quite honestly, Mega Absol is complete trash. Its mostly outclassed by Bisharp and Weavile as a Dark-type SD user (with the only thing it has going for it over them being Magic Bounce and I guess Baton Pass) and it is outclassed by Mega Diancie as a mixed attacker. Its reliance on Sucker Punch to actually MEvo versus anything utterly sucks, and it is nigh impossible to justify exactly why you'd ever use this thing over its competition on any serious team. Current metagame trends aren't kind to it at all, and overall it just doesn't seem worth using.

A+ ---> S

I think Hoopa-U's place in the viablity ranking should be S. There are few points i want to write down here.

The first one is the unpredictable movepool or set of Hoopa-U. How many sets does it have? Banded, Scarf, Specs and Life Orb are the most common sets but even Av is a way to go. The most reliable check to Hoopa-U is Scarftar but it gets smacked by banded/scarfed Drain-Punch or Focus Blast from the specs set. OK 50/50's are not a good argument for a S rank post but Hoopa-U pressures the opponent to risk a mon only to know then the set.

The second point of Hoppa-U is the movepool. Hyperspace Fury, Dark Pulse, Psyshock, Thunderbolt, Hp Ice, Gunk Shot, Drain Punch, Fire Punch, Focus Blast, Grass Knot, Trick and Zen-Headbutt, Hoopa-U's coverage hits literally everything importent in the metagame. Even stuff like Mandy isn't a clean check bc of +2 Focus Blast (Nasty Plot) or specs Thunderbolt. The only worse thing from Hoopa-U is that it can only have 4 moveslots.

Third point of Hoopa-U is that is can deal literally with every playstyle like the scarf set gives offense a hard time specs/band/life orb pressures balance and stall if the Hoopa-U played correctly.

A negative point of Hoopa-U is that it gets tossed by literally every priority so that it gets in a range where it cannot deal enough pressure on the opponent.

This is my first time make a post here hope i didnt do something wrong ;;

mael

not the same but equal
is a Community Contributorwon the 14th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Past SPL Champion
UUPL Champion
thundurus does manage to stand out in comparison to the other electrics, simply by being a lot more diverse and having a far better movepool. what i'm talking about is the fact that it gets both nasty plot and taunt. 2 moves which neither raikou nor manectric have access to. the consequence is that thundurus can play a valuable role in match ups against defensive teams, where the other 2 wouldn't quite perform. and that's just 2 of moves it has, which the others don't. it's wide movepool and the actually decent atk-stat allow it to basically pick its counters. focus blast, grass knot, superpower, knock off and quite some more help it set itself apart from the other electrics. if anything, the drop of raikou and mega-man actually helps thundurus, as they are some of the better answers to it. i wouldn't drop it, it's a good mon, and perfectly fine where it is at the moment.

Last edited:
Gonna make a nom. Its not gonna be too big because ipad+pretty simplistic reasoning, but I wanted to bring this up regardless.
Mega Absol --> Unranked
Quite honestly, Mega Absol is complete trash. Its mostly outclassed by Bisharp and Weavile as a Dark-type SD user (with the only thing it has going for it over them being Magic Bounce and I guess Baton Pass) and it is outclassed by Mega Diancie as a mixed attacker. Its reliance on Sucker Punch to actually MEvo versus anything utterly sucks, and it is nigh impossible to justify exactly why you'd ever use this thing over its competition on any serious team. Current metagame trends aren't kind to it at all, and overall it just doesn't seem worth using.
I think Mega Absol is fine rotting in the depths of the VR for a few reasons.

1. Magic Bounce- being able to stay in on Pokemon that would either force Bisharp or Weavile out in fear of Will-o-Wisp is a big reason why Mega Absol is ranked in the first place, ex. Rotom-W. Absol also has decent hazard control while being able to defeat a lot of the common Stealth Rockers such as Tyranitar, Garchomp, and Landorus-T.

2. Movepool- Absol has a extremely huge movepool with the offensive stats to back it up. Its coverage is simply amazing and can change a lot of games around on its own due to its unpredictability since there are so many viable moves it may be able to run.

3. Speed Tier- If I remember correctly, Absol reaches 115 base Speed which is pretty insane for a Pokemon already having the movepool it gets and the offensive stats. Outspeeding a lot of key meta threats like Keldeo, Thundurus, Starmie, the list goes on is pretty great for an offensive Pokemon.

Absol is fine where its at and deserves to rot in the lower depths of the Viability Rankings, but by all means it isnt that bad to be unranked. If this Pokemon would be unranked, just make half the Pokemon in D Rank gone and maybe some C- Pokemon as well.

A+ ---> S

I think Hoopa-U's place in the viablity ranking should be S. There are few points i want to write down here.

The first one is the unpredictable movepool or set of Hoopa-U. How many sets does it have? Banded, Scarf, Specs and Life Orb are the most common sets but even Av is a way to go. The most reliable check to Hoopa-U is Scarftar but it gets smacked by banded/scarfed Drain-Punch or Focus Blast from the specs set. OK 50/50's are not a good argument for a S rank post but Hoopa-U pressures the opponent to risk a mon only to know then the set.

The second point of Hoppa-U is the movepool. Hyperspace Fury, Dark Pulse, Psyshock, Thunderbolt, Hp Ice, Gunk Shot, Drain Punch, Fire Punch, Focus Blast, Grass Knot, Trick and Zen-Headbutt, Hoopa-U's coverage hits literally everything importent in the metagame. Even stuff like Mandy isn't a clean check bc of +2 Focus Blast (Nasty Plot) or specs Thunderbolt. The only worse thing from Hoopa-U is that it can only have 4 moveslots.

Third point of Hoopa-U is that is can deal literally with every playstyle like the scarf set gives offense a hard time specs/band/life orb pressures balance and stall if the Hoopa-U played correctly.

A negative point of Hoopa-U is that it gets tossed by literally every priority so that it gets in a range where it cannot deal enough pressure on the opponent.

This is my first time make a post here hope i didnt do something wrong ;;

If we're going by your logic then tonnes of other pokemon could counter every play style hoopa-u can't counter every play style in one set. Nasty plot huh? not that great on hoopa considering it will never get to set up and even if it does some mon like torn-t can come in u-turn and crush all of hoopas dreams. I think you missed probably hoopas biggest flaw. You can't get the damn thing in! its so slow and frail that pretty much anything will kill it and its one immuntiy is all it has to come in on no resistances at all. Hoopas honestly more on the level of wall breakers like zard y i dont see why people want this thing in s and its only better then zard y because its not a mega.

If we're going by your logic then tonnes of other pokemon could counter every play style hoopa-u can't counter every play style in one set. Nasty plot huh? not that great on hoopa considering it will never get to set up and even if it does some mon like torn-t can come in u-turn and crush all of hoopas dreams. I think you missed probably hoopas biggest flaw. You can't get the damn thing in! its so slow and frail that pretty much anything will kill it and its one immuntiy is all it has to come in on no resistances at all. Hoopas honestly more on the level of wall breakers like zard y i dont see why people want this thing in s and its only better then zard y because its not a mega.
Well ok Nasty Hoopa-U isnt a thing sry for that but Hoopa-U's speedtier for a wallbreaker is quite good because it outspeeds everything it need to break balance. It also has enough speed with scarf to pressure everything in offense quite well. Zard-y has the huge rock weakness which Hoopa-U doesnt have and Hoopa-U has also the decent spD bulk to check stuff like Kyurem-B, Thundy or Zam without scarf in offense. I dont want to say that Hoopa-U can counter every playstyle I want to say that it can pressure every playstyle. sry 4 bad english ;;

Last edited:
Well ok Nasty Hoopa-U isnt a thing sry for that but Hoopa-U's speedtier for a wallbreaker is quite good because it outspeeds everything it need to break balance. It also has enough speed with scarf to pressure everything in offense quite well. Zard-y has the huge rock weakness which Hoopa-U doesnt have and Hoopa-U has also the decent spD bulk to check stuff like Kyurem-B, Thundy or Zam without scarf in offense. I dont want to say that Hoopa-U can counter every playstyle I want to say that it can pressure every playstyle. sry 4 bad english ;;

Ok no... hoopa cant stay in on kyurem-b no matter what. The wallbreaker set everyone loves to praise can't stay in on kyurem-b nor can it one shot it and kyurem actually has a chance to one shot hoopa with its mixed sets moves like fusion bolt. calcs if you dont belive me

56 Atk Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-B Fusion Bolt vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Hoopa Unbound: 260-307 (86.3 - 101.9%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO

yes it may not one shot hoopa-u but hoopa cannot one shot kyurem-b back so yeah...

Zard has a rocks weakness... wow never saw that one at least he has drought which can give him easy switch ins which hoopa will NEVER have s is a stretch a far one keep this thing A+ or move it down to A again please.

....what? It doesn't have to. The point is that Hoopa-U is CAPABLE of viably running any of the sets that it's known for, so for you to find out what set it's running is exactly how Sombolo phrased it; you have to risk a mon or two to find out the set. Tell me another mon in OU besides Kyube that can run a Life Orb, Banded or Scarfed set PLUS Specs (its premier set rn) and Nasty Plot (its arguably weakest set but still something that could work against Stall, I guess). Hoopa-U isn't even Stealth Rock weak unlike Zardy and Kyube so while it still can't switch in to much, at least it isn't losing 25% of its health upon switchin.

MegaStarUniverse

Banned deucer.
Hoopa-U to S rank - This pokemon is scary O_O it hits so hard hitting and i always see everyone at least getting one kill with it every battle including me which is insane and shows how good of a pokemon this is. Once it gets a free switch in which is not hard to do when support with rotom-w and torn-t and other pivots is there, this pokemon becomes the scariest pokemon in this meta. You either sack something or try to predict what its going for and risk losing a pokemon. I seen so many sets with it and they are all somewhat good which just tells you how unpredictable this thing is. Band, Specs, Scarf, Life Orb, AV, Trick Room , and the list goes on. Its coverage is incredible which allows it to get so many kills along with its insane power. its not dead weight vs Offense since it can take special hits from pokemon like , Latios, Starmie,thundurus, Manectric, Alakazam, etc and KO them back. Balance can lose easily vs this pokemon even if they have a scarf tyranitar since Hoopa-U does not die from switching out on a pursuit and can live another day to knock out a pokemon.

(Basically a switched out Pursuit) 252 Atk Tyranitar Crunch vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Hoopa Unbound: 226-267 (75 - 88.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after sandstorm damage

252 Atk Tyranitar Crunch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Hoopa Unbound: 204-240 (67.7 - 79.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after sandstorm damage

Plus Scarf Tyranitar might not want to come in so carelessly because of drain punch and focus blast which can give Hoopa-U a free kill if not played right.

And Stall pretty much gets blown back by either a Band or Specs set. Everytime in team preview most people say to themselves " How am i going to play around this hoopa-U" its defining the meta like Keldeo , Clefable , and Torn-T do. Bring it to S

Last edited:

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Update time

Hoopa U A+ -> S
Rotom-Wash A -> A+
Mega Altaria A -> A-
Mega Latias A- -> A
Gyarados A- -> B+
Terrakion B+ -> A-
Amoonguss B+ -> A-
Togekiss B+ -> B
Chansey B -> B+
Mega Houndoom C+ -> C
Bronzong C+ -> C
Mega Absol C -> C-
Krookodile C -> D
Venusaur C -> D
Gourgeist C -> D
Roserade C- -> D
Shuckle to C -> D
Mega Camerupt C- -> Unranked
Haxorus D -> Unranked

Most of the higher rank stuff has been discussed and the others are part of the ongoing lower rank cleanup.

Regarding a discussion slate, we're gonna leave the floor open for nominations. This isn't due to laziness, but something that we're gonna try out. If needed, discussion points will be added in the future

edit: zz you didnt see me mess up the copy paste
araEdit: well...

Why is haxorus unranked? It doesn't take extra damage from stealth rocks. It has mold breaker for Rotom-W and Clefable. Pure dragon typing allows it to check BD Azumarill. Idk some clarification would be nice.

Why is haxorus unranked? It doesn't take extra damage from stealth rocks. It has mold breaker for Rotom-W and Clefable. Pure dragon typing allows it to check BD Azumarill. Idk some clarification would be nice.
What?

Honestly though I don't see why you want to use Haxorus when you can use Kyurem-B and Mega Gyarados for the ability and Zard X and Dragonite as dragon sweepers. Haxorus is slow with no priority and no secondary typing to carve a more unique niche.

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
ethanlol I'll permit it this time because you have a legitimate question but do not post one liners in this thread. Just add some more content next time. Also for reference my computer screen is big so yes your post fits on one line lol, just more content for posts is what we ask for

Haxorus is unranked because it's basically outclassed in all roles. I mean we all know its DD set stinks because it can't take hits to save its life so you're better off with basically any other DDer. So the niche is the whole SD + Mold Breaker but this isn't terribly applicable most of the time. Against full stall its either gonna be walled by Skarmory or Clefable, since SD + Taunt + DClaw/Outrage only leaves room for EQ or Superpower, not both. Granted I guess you can Taunt Skarm but you're still not winning that battle. And if you forgo Taunt then what's the point of even using Haxorus? Against offense and balance you're just way better off with other breakers

Basically there are a TON of crazy good wallbreakers out there and there's basically no reason to use Haxorus over any of them

I think Hoopa-U should remain A+. True that it's incredibly strong and pressures a lot of bulky and stall teams, but it's also pressured a lot as well, not wanting to switch into many things. Even with bulky and stall teams you risk being statused. And not to mention it's extremely weak to priority users such as t-flame, scizor, mega lop and mega cham and offense in general because even if it switches into a special move, it will still take a good chunk of damage. Also the defense drop on hyperspace fury(which the sets that have these are the best ones imo) makes it weaker to be pursuit trapped. I feel like this is a hit or miss pokemon. It's either going to do destroy teams or do nothing or next to nothing.

Also I think Keldeo should drop out of S into A+ or A. I never understood why this is in S rank. Yeah spamming specs scald is pretty nice, but that's all its got going for it. It's not that versatile and there are plenty of checks in the game to deal with it such as AV torn, latios, starmie, and celebi.

Also just noticed made this post while it was updated.

I think Hoopa-U should remain A+. True that it's incredibly strong and pressures a lot of bulky and stall teams, but it's also pressured a lot as well, not wanting to switch into many things. Even with bulky and stall teams you risk being statused. And not to mention it's extremely weak to priority users such as t-flame, scizor, mega lop and mega cham and offense in general because even if it switches into a special move, it will still take a good chunk of damage. Also the defense drop on hyperspace fury(which the sets that have these are the best ones imo) makes it weaker to be pursuit trapped. I feel like this is a hit or miss pokemon. It's either going to do destroy teams or do nothing or next to nothing.

Also I think Keldeo should drop out of S into A+ or A. I never understood why this is in S rank. Yeah spamming specs scald is pretty nice, but that's all its got going for it. It's not that versatile and there are plenty of checks in the game to deal with it such as AV torn, latios, starmie, and celebi.

Also just noticed made this post while it was updated.
I really can't say anything about Hoopa-U that hasn't been said in the last 20 posts about it being one of the best mons in the metagame right now. Specs has a grand total of zero switchins and isn't nearly as much of a deadweight against faster teams as many people describe, since it can go 1 for 1 against a verity of special attackers such as Alakazam and Latios. Also, your mention that "sets that have HSF are the best" is completely false, as specs is widely considered its best set right now. Just take a look at posts by almost any other member, they state it better than I do.

Keldeo is deserving of its S rank spot due to the fact that all of its "switchins" (Slowbro, Mvenu) Are really annoyed by burns. For instance, after being burned by scald, Slowbro struggles to switch into hydro pump. Celebi is the only one really immune to this due to natural cure, but it gets torn apart by a potential HP bug. However, the biggest reason that I think Keldeo is ranked that high is due to stupidly good defensive potential for a mon that is so excellent offensively. It actually finds switchin opportunities against many dark types such as Weavile, Bisharp, and Tyranitar as well as a plethora of more passive mons like MSable and Heatean and Scizor, the latter of which isn't even too passive. This forces the opponent to make plays instead of just relying on soft checking Keldeo, or they're most likely gonna lose a mon. Keldeo also packs nice versatility between Scarf, Specs, and Sub CM, although most of the time specs is the best. Overall, it's rather easy for Keld to whittle its own checks with scald burns, and the high amount of mons it can switch into while still having outstanding offensive presence makes it easily one of the best mons in OU.

HailFall

my cancer is sun and my leo is moon

Mega Banette --> D or unranked
Mega banette is not a great mon for several reasons.
  • Anyone who is familiar with Mega Banette at all will play carefully around it to avoid losing a mon to its main niche, Prankster Destiny Bond.
  • It has no Prankster on the turn it megas, making it extremely difficult to mega safely due to its ass bulk and speed.
  • Its base 165 attack is nice on paper but its poor speed tier makes it overly reliant on Shadow Sneak which has poor power.
  • Its strongest move (Gunk Shot) isn't even stab just because of how pitiful the power of Shadow Claw is.
  • Mega Banette has a huge case of 4mss. It normally runs Destiny Bond | Gunk Shot | Shadow Sneak/Sucker Punch | Filler, but it has so many options for filler (Will-O-Wisp, Thunder Wave, Taunt, Disable, Knock Off, Toxic) and it really wishes it could run them all.
  • It has no notable boosting moves or strong attacks
  • In a trick room setting, Mega Banette still faces harsh competition from Mega Heracross and Mega Camerupt who both hit significantly harder, and also have much more spammable and powerful stab than it does.
  • When you consider the other, better mons in C rank like Dugtrio and Magneton, its hard to say Mega Banette truly belongs there.
  • Keldeo and Torn-T, some of the most common mons in the meta right now, give it huge issues.
  • Specs Hoopa-U, which is also very common right now, literally destroys it because Will-O-Wisp doesn't cripple special attackers.
  • There isn't a lot of reason to use it over Klefki besides offensive presence, and Prankster Will-O-Wisp can be provided by pre/non mega Sableye.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)