Project ORAS Rarely Used Teambuilding Competition [Week 3 Voting]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pearl

Romance は風のまま
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the 7th Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Champion
Spirit wins!

This week teambuilding will be centered around a single Pokemon, which will be:

Happy posting :] don't forget there's no need to hold back on your contributions

Nomination deadline: November 20th

Voting deadline: November 22nd

Last edited:

The Leprechaun

wear nike not fila
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

I've gone for a bulky offensive build based around using residual damage to make it easier for a drapion/ abomasnow sweep or a late game clean up with rotom.

Abomasnow is an obvious partner to Rotom as it sets up the hail to allow blizzard to become an extremely spammable move. SD Aboma is an especially good partner as rotom can pivot out of a lot of mons which end up as set-up fodder for snow man such as aromatisse, cresselia, registeel and a few others. Weezing's in the next slot as an A+ fighting check as well as toxic spikes user. Seeing as all the poison types in the tier are checked really well by one or another member of my team, toxic spikes are easy to keep up and essential for getting the damage off needed for a late game sweep. The reason i've chosen Weezing specifically here is because it is a great check to all the steel types, namely Doublade and Cobalion, which make Abomasnow and Rotoms life more difficult. Sandslash as a spinner also does well against the aforementioned steels as well as fitting both stealth rocker and spinner in one slot. Hazards are a big threat to my team so a spin is essential, with Sandslash being the only spinner who can consistently kill Doublade, he does this job excellently. Slowking is the obligatory Moltres check but also has great synergy with my other mons regardless of fire bird. Drapion is finally there as a late game sweeper, check to cm mons and generally a great mon to have if you are able to get consistent prior damage on an opposing team. With ground types and fairies checked really well, Drapion can find it easy to sweep.

Rotom-Frost @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Blizzard
- Trick
- Thunderbolt

Abomasnow @ Abomasite
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Seed Bomb
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Swords Dance

Weezing @ Black Sludge
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Sludge Bomb
- Fire Blast
- Pain Split

Sandslash @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin

Slowking @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Fire Blast
- Psychic
- Dragon Tail

Drapion @ Lum Berry
Ability: Battle Armor
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Aqua Tail
- Taunt

Last edited:

okay so I promised myself I would teambuild again for this project so here goes:

Rotom-F + Obamasnow is pretty much mandatory (BLIZZSPAM HUE) and I went with CS Trick Frosty to make up for its low speed + Mixed Attacker Aboma to hurt dedicated walls a bit more. I then added Dugtrio to kill steels that really annoyed my two ice types as well as providing synergy with Volt Switch Frosty, allowing me to easily trap things like Cobalion or Registeel. Sub is a strange option, but I think it was Pearl. that used it (not sure, but I saw it in one of the replays) and it actually allowed to screw with a lot of the opponents I met who thought they could just status me, as well as potentially giving Duggy a "second life" which could turn games around. I had noticed a glaring Fire weakness that needed to be patched up (moltres smh) and I needed a bit more firepower, so LO Clawitzer was added as the fourth member, and AV Druddigon added as the 5th member to act as a check to Moltres. At this point, I realized I was really Fighting weak + needed SR + hazard control, which was pretty sad since I was already 5/6 of the way through my team. Gligar was the only viable mon that (came to my head lol) could fit all three of those roles, so naturally it had to be added.

Anyways this isn't the best team I made (probably cause I think Frosty sucks) since it still has a glaring weakness to Fletchling and things like Reuniclus + Cress (the latter which I have to heavily depend on Clawitzer). but the process was fun and laddering was also pretty enjoyable blizzard is 10/10 move

Rotom-Frost @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Blizzard
- Trick

Gligar @ Eviolite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Defog
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Roost

Dugtrio @ Life Orb
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Sucker Punch

Abomasnow @ Abomasite
EVs: 8 HP / 160 Atk / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 84 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Ice Shard
- Giga Drain
- Blizzard
- Earthquake

Druddigon (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 248 HP / 240 Atk / 20 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Fire Punch
- Sucker Punch
- Gunk Shot

Clawitzer @ Life Orb
Ability: Mega Launcher
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Dark Pulse
- Aura Sphere
- Ice Beam

enjoy! :toast:

I decided not to build around Choice Scarf Rotom-F, instead I chose to use an Expert Belt so I am still able bluff Choice Scarf while also being able to OHKO standard Amoonguss with Blizzard. Expert Belt also grants the freedom to be able to switch moves and catch unsuspecting Escavaliers with Hidden Power Fire. Being able to switch moves also makes Will-O-Wisp a viable choice, it allows Rotom-F cripple the bulkier Steel-types which can take Hidden Power Fire. Pretty standard Mega Abomasnow, it is necessary to support Rotom-F and also happens to be one of the best wall breakers in the tier. Doublade works similarly to how Golurk did last generation, its typing allows it to take Rock-, Steel-, and Fighting-type moves which supports the Ice-types on the team. Toxic is used to cripple some of Doublades switch-ins which cause problems for the rest of the team, Moltres in particular. Swords Dance Doublade gives the team a clear win condition. Alomomola provides support both through its typing - being able to take Fire-type moves - and by Wish Passing which helps stop the team from being worn down too quickly. Gligar is required for Defog and it resists Fighting-type moves while not being weak to Rock-type moves, this helping with the overall team synergy. Acrobatics is used over Knock Off or U-turn in order to provide an additional check to Fighting-types, namely (physical) Virizion which would otherwise rinse through this team once Doublade has been KOed. Druddigon is used to set up Stealth Rocks and phase out Calm Mind sweepers, the physical Defense allows Druddigon to take a +2 Iron Head from Doublade after rocks. A +5 0 SpA Cresselia can not OHKO Druddigon with Moon Blast with this spread from full HP.

Rotom-Frost @ Expert Belt
Modest Nature
- Blizzard
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Will-O-Wisp

Abomasnow @ Abomasite
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 8 HP / 160 Atk / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 84 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Giga Drain
- Blizzard
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake

Doublade @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 192 HP / 252 Atk / 64 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Iron Head
- Toxic
- Swords Dance

Alomomola @ Leftovers
EVs: 104 HP / 248 Def / 156 SpD
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Toxic
- Protect
- Scald

Gligar @ Eviolite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Acrobatics
- Earthquake

Druddigon @ Leftovers
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 48 Def / 208 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Roar
- Sucker Punch
- Dragon Claw

Last edited:

Pearl

Romance は風のまま
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the 7th Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Champion
It's a shame that not many people are taking much interest in this week's competition, but I guess the servers being down doesn't really help the cause. This team here is my take at a (slightly different) Rotom-F team:

Rotom (Rotom-Frost) @ Life Orb
EVs: 48 HP / 252 SpA / 208 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Substitute
- Pain Split
- Thunderbolt
- Blizzard

Sandslash (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock

Qwilfish (F) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 136 Def / 124 Spe
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes
- Scald

Escavalier (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Megahorn
- Knock Off
- Pursuit

Audino (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell
- Knock Off

Whimsicott (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpD / 30 Spe
- Moonblast
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Rock]
- Taunt

The first consideration I'll make is that the team is slightly weak to Moltres, relying hazard control, Audino's abilities as a pivot, and Rotom's Flying-type resist in order to keep it in check. It is easier to handle once you land a Knock Off on it with Audino though.

The premise behind this team is "Rotom-F without Hail", which obviously makes it less reliable. However, I still wanted to see how it'd turn out, and I'm actually satisfied with the current result. It uses the hazard control core of Qwilfish + Sandslash in other to augment Rotom-F's potential (which is using a Substitute + Pain Split set) by giving it residual damage to work with (Toxic Spikes are particularly helpful), as well as set up opportunities, since Gligar, the main method of hazard removal in RU is totally defenseless vs Rotom-F. Rapid Spin and the ability to keep Doublade constantly pressured are also a boon.

Escavalier is the team's Psychic- and Grass-type counter (it checks Abomasnow and Exploud too, which is quite huge), fitting the team really well due to its unique set of traits, including its nice firepower, Pursuit, and bulk. Due to the team's lack of solid recovery moves all around, a Wish passer was a pretty obvious option at this point. Between the ones available, I have decided to go for Audino, due to its well distributed bulk, access to Heal Bell (which allows me to play more recklessly), and Regenerator. It also forms a nice defensive core with Qwilfish, while also offering me a third Knock Off user, which is never too much.

The last member of the team took me a while to decide. At that point I could go for a Ghost-type, since Fighting-types could give me some trouble. That would also give me a Rapid Spin blocker, which always comes in handy in such a hazard-based team. However, I felt that a Grass-type would benefit me way more than that, especially because letting Rotom-F tank too many Scalds and being my main switch in against the likes of Seismitoad and Clawitzer would be a huge mistake. Gourgeist seemed really good on paper (both Small and XL), but the lack of solid Dark-type resists could eventually hurt the team's synergy, which left me locked with two options: Virizion and Whimsicott. Both give this slow team some Speed to fall back on if things to wrong and the former serves as a solid win condition as well. However, in the end, I decided to settle with Whimsicott, due to its helpful Fighting-type resist, access to Taunt (which makes the match up against stall easier) and deceivingly high powered moves. Infiltrator is mostly because I don't really feel Prankster is required with the chosen moves.

Other Options:

I'm not going to go too in-depth with those, just some food for thought which you can analyse and suggest if you find them better (a.k.a. futile attempt at promoting discussion). Here they are:

A different Qwilfish set
Doublade > Escavalier
Alomomola / Aromatisse > Audino
A different glue > Whimsicott (some options include, but aren't limited to Abomasnow, Gourgeist and Virizion)
A different Whimsicott set

Pay attention that is team wasn't tested intensively, so any of those options could end up being better during actual battling.

Changes log:

Hidden Power Rock > Hidden Power Fire on Whimsicott
Changed Sandslash's EV spread

Last edited:

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
It's a shame that not many people are taking much interest in this week's competition, but I guess the servers being down doesn't really help the cause. This team here is my take at a (slightly different) Rotom-F team:
Yeah I think a lot of people actually like to test the team a bit before posting to iron out any kinks so not being able to have a server to test it on sucks. That being said the frost server is up atm so you can get a battle on their with a friend to play test it, http://frost.psim.us/

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Pearl. I'd recommend using something else over HP Fire on Whimsicott. Aside from Moltres, your team is incredibly weak to Delphox. Not only do both of these Pokemon destroy you after Audino goes down, but sub roost Moltres doesn't even care about Audino that much (and muh +1 Psyshock for Delphox). One fix would be using Hidden Power Rock over HP Fire, but stun spore also helps to alleviate your weakness to these mons. I'd almost run dual STAB / HP Rock / Stun Spore if I were you. HP Fire also just seems unnecessary because you have Qwilfish and Sandslash for Steel-types and Rotom-F and Escavalier for Grass-types.

Oh, and you don't need taunt cause Qwilfish is taunting hazard leads anyways and most set up sweepers win/lose against whimsi with or without taunt.

/my 2cents

Last edited:

MrAldo

Hey
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Yeah, the server being down hasnt made organizing my ideas any easier. Shame, I had a draft that I was refining, and ofc the testing. I guess it will be for the next time :/ sorry

gorex

penguin council
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
LCPL Champion
Not being able to test this team is pretty irritating, but I guess I am just gonna post it anyways.

Rotom-Frost @ Expert Belt
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Blizzard
- Thunderbolt
- Will-O-Wisp

Abomasnow @ Abomasite
EVs: 168 HP / 252 SpA / 88 Spe
Mild Nature
- Blizzard
- Giga Drain
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake

Rhyperior @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 232 SpD / 24 Spe
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast
- Roar

Meloetta @ Choice Specs
Ability: Serene Grace
Hasty Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psychic
- U-turn
- Shadow Ball

Slowking @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Fire Blast
- Psyshock
- Dragon Tail

Cobalion @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Iron Head

Drapion @ Lum Berry
Ability: Sniper
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Aqua Tail
- Knock Off
- Poison Jab

The team started with Rotom-F, obviously because it was the mon that we are supposed to build around this round, but I chose to roll with an Expert Belt variant instead of a Choice Scarf variant, basically to act as more of a lure, like cheeky Gligars that try to switch in on my Volt Switch, I can just bop them with a Blizzard, and Will-O-Wisp to cripple walls and physical attackers that might want to switch-in, thinking that it can get free set-up

The next mon I went with is Mega Abomasnow. Basically, it allows Rotom-F to spam Blizzard, and for more Blizzard Spam :). But seriously, it was a toss-up between the physical variant and this variant, and I ended up using this variant, but it was formerly the physical variant. It can help break down physical walls along with Rotom-F for my physical sweepers in this team, that will be covered later in this post, to deal big damage to the opposing team

I looked at the team so far, and I immediately thought, Fire Spam just wrecks both of them, and with one of the main Fire-types being Moltres, I decided to run Specially Defensive Rhyperior to cover the Choice Scarf variant, not so much of the Life Orb variant, although the spread I run can take a Life Orb HP Grass from Moltres from full health. I run enough speed to outspeed standard Doublade to hit it with Earthquake and deal substantial damage to it.

I wanted a switch-in of sorts to Exploud that could at the same time hit hard on the special side. I went with Choice Specs Meloetta since Rotom-F can cripple Spiritomb, one of the best switch-ins to Meloetta, with Will-O-Wisp, and Mega Abomasnow can also hit Spiritomb hard with Blizzard, essentially weakening Spiritomb to deter it from switching in to Meloetta. There used to be a Cresselia in this slot, but I decided I wanted something that could hit hard from the get-go, so I went with Meloetta in this slot instead

Dark types could take on my team pretty well and deal substantial damage to it, mainly against Meloetta, so I decided to have something that could switch-in on Dark types and set up on it and basically act as a win condition. Cobalion was looking like the best option, since it could deal with all the Dark types in RU pretty well, beating Skuntanks that don't carry Fire Blast, and setting up on the defensive Drapion pretty well, and it could well sweep late-game.

Slowking was looking like a huge problem to my team so far, since it could take on 3/5 of my mons, being Rhyperior, Meloetta and Cobalion, with ease, and Rotom-F and Mega Abomasnow pretty much needed prior damage to kill Slowking, so I decided to have another set-up sweeper that could pretty much deal with Slowking and set up all over it, so I went with SD Lum Berry Drapion, which can also help my team absorb Toxic Spikes. I went with Aqua Tail>Earthquake because Aqua Tail hits Rhyperior and Gligar harder, and Earthquake only hits Cobalion harder, but since my team could handle Cobalion pretty well, I went with Aqua Tail, to pretty much complement Cobalion, since the combination of Knock Off+Aqua Tail can finish off Gligar, something that Cobalion really appreciates, while the Earthquake variant of Drapion could pretty much be taken on by Gligar, and Aqua Tail has the ability to OHKO Rhyperior at +2, which Cobalion also appreciates since Rhyperior can take at least one hit from +2 Cobalion from full and heavily dent it with Earthquake.

Once again, I didn't get the chance to test this team since Showdown is down, so there might be certain mons that can cause issues to my team that I am not aware of, feel free to let me know if you can think of any that hasn't been mentioned

EDIT: Removed the part about subbing on wow, mistake on my part, thank you aoemica for pointing that out

EDIT: Changing Meloetta up for the standard AV Slowking since it helps me take on LO Moltres and Delphox better, it can take on Cobalion if needed too, bye meloetta

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)