Osama Bin Laden Killed

Status
Not open for further replies.
So since when does Pakistan cooperate with america and allow them to do airstrikes 'deep within the pakistan border'. Did I miss something there? I thought Pakistan HATED America and what with harboring a known high level fugitive and his friends for a long time, I'd say that is confirmed.

I've been informed bros in lots of places in america are singing 'we are the champions' and chanting america. What the fuck...I wonder how many of these people know that you can't actually win a war on a concept and that Obama is one of many in an organization? This is such a fantastic example of propaganda working, it's sickening to me.

It just makes me so sad that so many people are stupid enough to freak out over this, a comparatively minor thing in the grand scheme of counterterrorism. I find it invasive that my sunday programming has been interrupted 3 times, even if it was saving me from subjection to the cleaveland show.

Funny shit: Fox 12's caption during Obama's address was

USAMA BIN LADEN DEAD
I saw that too. I bet they were more worried about accidentally typing Obama than spelling Osama's name right.

I've been informed bros in lots of places in america are singing 'we are the champions' and chanting america. What the fuck...I wonder how many of these people know that you can't actually win a war on a concept and that Obama is one of many in an organization? This is such a fantastic example of propaganda working, it's sickening to me.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!

I swear, these mistakes are the greatest part of this thread.

So since when does Pakistan cooperate with america and allow them to do airstrikes 'deep within the pakistan border'. Did I miss something there? I thought Pakistan HATED America and what with harboring a known high level fugitive and his friends for a long time, I'd say that is confirmed.
The Pakistani Military has been trying to get the Taliban/Al Qaeda out of the north of the country for a very long time, they may not like America but they're not big fans of Bin Laden and his ilk either.

it's even funnier that I commented on making that mistake lol.

Thanks for that update, Trax.

Is it just me or does it seem kind of silly that Obama was talking about how much all americans know about the sacrifice in a war, when the largest generational subset of the population has lost so few that they can all be brought up by name on the news report after major offensives? I also found it a bit fucked up that a constitution that has it written "seperation of religion and state" said so affirmatively from the executive power that they are "one nation under god" after acknowledging that people have diverse religions in the country?

I was also unaware that Osama was a mass murderer of muslims. I thought he targetted non muslims. Can someone give more info on that reference?

I was also unaware that Osama was a mass murderer of muslims. I thought he targetted non muslims. Can someone give more info on that reference?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_war_in_Afghanistan_(1996-2001)#Taliban_massacres

The Taliban military was in part made up for Al Qaeda troops and the two groups were fairly closely linked, there are other instances of Al Qaeda killing other Muslim groups too - especially in northern Pakistan.

Completely agree with you on the one nation under god thing, that part of the pledge of allegiance was only added during the 50s as an anti "communist" thing anyway.

Jeez, you're way more up and up than I am. I'm oblivious to specifics in some politics, it's good you're here to help me get caught up!

Jeez, you're way more up and up than I am. I'm oblivious to specifics in some politics, it's good you're here to help me get caught up!

I suspect it's largely due to the limited supply of good information in America, most Americans don't even know that the entire cause of Muslim terrorism is rooted in the 50s and 60s when the US Government backed a military coup (and dictatorship) to remove a democratically elected leader in Iran because they were going to nationalize the Oil industry.

I suspect it's largely due to the limited supply of good information in America, most Americans don't even know that the entire cause of Muslim terrorism is rooted in the 50s and 60s when the US Government backed a military coup (and dictatorship) to remove a democratically elected leader in Iran because they were going to nationalize the Oil industry.
The Iranian Coup is hardly the "entire cause" of terrorism based in the Middle East. It was one of the earlier events of terrorism, but it was just that--an event. Middle Eastern terrorism has deeper ideological origins than a single coup.

I am canadian. I thought the Taliban was boosted hugely in the 80's when America gave them guns to fight invading soviets?

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
When you fly a plane into a building or bomb a subway, it's hard to discriminate between religions. The coalition forces were able to take out a symbol. Nothing more, nothing less. People have a cause for celebration. Symbols are powerful stuff. You can be a dick about it or you can let them be.

The Iranian Coup is hardly the "entire cause" of terrorism based in the Middle East. It was one of the earlier events of terrorism, but it was just that--an event. Middle Eastern terrorism has deeper ideological origins than a single coup.

It really doesn't, the first terrorist incident between the Middle East and the US/Britain (unless you're going to go back to the early 1800s and ignoring a 150 year gap) was the Iranian Embassy hostage situation and subsequent revolution. If we'd just damn well kept our noses out of the Middle East we'd never have had these problems.

I am canadian. I thought the Taliban was boosted hugely in the 80's when America gave them guns to fight invading soviets?
Semi-correct, the Mujahideen (basically, tribal warlords) did most of the grunt work in that war and received most of the weapons - a lot of that trickled into Taliban hands though.

When you fly a plane into a building or bomb a subway, it's hard to discriminate between religions. The coalition forces were able to take out a symbol. Nothing more, nothing less. People have a cause for celebration. Symbols are powerful stuff. You can be a dick about it or you can let them be.
True that, man.
People definitely have something to cheer about.

Sure there will be some bigotry, but hey, that's what humans do.

This whole thing however makes me wonder how they manage to keep this under wraps and secret, cause we ALL know how good we are keeping them =/

That is impossible in a globalized world.
I tend to agree, but backing military dictatorships just because they give us some shiny black shit doesn't really lend to having a good rapport with the population.

Chill Murray

get well soon jacoby..
There are a whole host of reasons as to why the Muslim world doesn't like the US. The earliest incident I can think of is the incident in the Barbary Wars where a contingent of mercenaries led by US Marines marched from Alexandria, Egypt to Tripoli in order to depose the ruler and put in a deposed leader in his stead. However, the United States government then made a treaty with the ruling leader, and the coup was never staged.

To be realistic this is not going to change anything, but the catharsis is still nice.

Chill Murray

get well soon jacoby..
It really doesn't, the first terrorist incident between the Middle East and the US/Britain (unless you're going to go back to the early 1800s and ignoring a 150 year gap) was the Iranian Embassy hostage situation and subsequent revolution. If we'd just damn well kept our noses out of the Middle East we'd never have had these problems.
I don't know enough history to speak for the period between 1805 and 1910, but twice promising Palestine to two different groups (and then sticking behind the vastly unpopular group starting in 1945) probably was a big deal as well.

There are a whole host of reasons as to why the Muslim world doesn't like the US. The earliest incident I can think of is the incident in the Barbary Wars where a contingent of mercenaries led by US Marines marched from Alexandria, Egypt to Tripoli in order to depose the ruler and put in a deposed leader in his stead. However, the United States government then made a treaty with the ruling leader, and the coup was never staged.

To be realistic this is not going to change anything, but the catharsis is still nice.
As long as humans walk this earth, there will always be conflict. But you lot know that already, did you.

Honestly, from the knowledge that I have gained from the last 10 years, I can't help but feel that I hate this world more and more. Explain that.

The second Barbary war was over in 1815 and then there was nothing going on involving the US in that part of the world for over 100 years. It's silly to pretend this is some epic ongoing conflict that has been going on longer than any person alive today has been living when in reality it's about 60 years old.

We had near zero conflict between about 1815 and 1950 (WW1 aside - but that was with Turkey who remains a firm ally of the west since then), sticking our nose where it didn't belong is what caused this mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)