OU Bird of Prey

I spend a considerable amount of time thinking of new ways to use Pokemon as leads to simply combat the common leads that run rampant throughout the tier. My first thought is generally that it needs to be something with a somewhat descent speed to combat the likes of Azelf and Aerodactyl, but also have a considerable attack stat to at least lay some hit-and-run damage from U-Turn. After much deliberation and searching all throughout the Pokedex I found it, a somewhat humble Pokemon stuck in BL, Staraptor. The deeper I looked into It's movepool, though shallow, It's actually somewhat specialized and almost seems like a perfect Anti-Lead for the current metagame.

Staraptor @ Focus Sash
Ability: Intimidate
Nature: Lonely
4 HP/ 252 Atk/ 252 Spe
-U-Turn
-Endeavor
-Quick Attack
-Protect

Since so many leads are either faster than me or use priority, such as Bullet Punch, I thought I'd cut them down to size with a very simple strategy...
Endeavor/Quick Attack
The Lonely nature is to get the most out of Staraptor's Endeavor and if nothing else it will render their Focus Sash useless in return, though I may switch Quick Attack for Pursuit, but since I haven't had a chance to playtest this set yet we'll see. Protect is basically thrown in as a filler and helps feel-out the opponents moveset. Azelf can be OHKO'd by U-Turn or 2HKO'd by a Quick Attack, U-Turn combo, considering most Azelf will be carrying Focus Sash, making TrickZelf's so rare that there really need be no worry.

Swampert @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
Nature: Relaxed
252 HP/ 4 Atk/ 252 Def
-Stealth Rock
-Earthquake
-Ice Beam
-Protect

This Swampert is very standard, but it does what It's supposed to, and It does it well. Basically used to set up Stealth Rocks and scout out some of the opponent's movesets with protect. Pretty self-explanatory.

Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
Nature: Adamant
248 HP/ 252 Atk/ 8 Spe
-U-Turn
-Bullet Punch
-Superpower
-Pursuit

With Swampert's disposition to grass Scizor is the perfect switch in, hitting OU's most common grass type Celebi with U-Turn or Pursuit. But It doesn't only function as a switch in for Swampert, It's my resident sweeper, there's a reason that Scizor is the OU of OU.

Heatran @ Expert Belt
Ability: Flash Fire
Nature: Naive
4 Atk/ 252 SpA/ 252 Spe
-Fire Blast
-Earth Power
-Hidden Power (Electric)
-Explosion

Heatran and Scizor go together like peanut butter and jelly, Heatran absorbs fire damage aimed at Scizor and generally gets to revenge kill it. It's set up to potentially bluff a Choice Scarf so that I can pull some surprise OHKO's, on the opponent's Poke's. It also rounds off the coverage.

Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
Nature: Bold
252 HP/ 220 Def/ 36 Spe
-Thunder Wave
-Grass Knot
-Recover
-Hidden Power (Ice)

Celebi helps slow down the opponent with Thunder Wave to allow Heatran to take down Pokemon that would normally outspeed it. It also helps out when dealing with Gyarados and opposing Swampert.

Blissey @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
Nature: Calm
24 HP/ 252 Def/ 232 SpD
-Wish
-Protect
-Seismic Toss
-Toxic

Standard Blissey, I generally have one on my team they seem to do what they are designed for and that is wall so, I dunno. I don't really care if someone else figures something else better to use than I'll probably switch it. But for now Blissey is here to stay.

Ok first off I absolutely love the fact that you are using Staraptor, one of my favorite flying types! But I think even though you have a combo for it I can't help but wonder if it shouldn't be given close combat for those pesky scizors or even Brave bird for STAB

Ok first off I absolutely love the fact that you are using Staraptor, one of my favorite flying types! But I think even though you have a combo for it I can't help but wonder if it shouldn't be given close combat for those pesky scizors or even Brave bird for STAB
I've thought about that, but I felt like that for a lead that Protect may have been the better option just to scout out some of the opponent's move's. I may switch it if I find that to be more effective during play testing.

That's an anti-lead if ever i've seen one, it shows you don't gave an S### if they get stealth rock up and that you're more concerned about stopping potential lead sweepers from k-o'ing half your team. I reccomend replacing protect with a STAB Flying move to deal with the recent spike in Machamp leads, however if they don't botther you just go with what you've got champ.

While the Expert Belt on Heatran can potentially get some unexpected KOs yes, not running scarf on it makes this team extremely vulnerable to Swords Dance Lucario sweeps. It can come in on Celebi (providing it avoids T-Wave), Blissey and Scizor locked into Pursuit, use SD and beat your team 6-0. Putting a Scarf on Heatran would allow you to revenge kill at the very least. Alternatively, you could try replacing Swampert with this Gliscor:

Gliscor @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Veil
Nature: Impish (+Def, -SpA)
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Def / 216 Spe
- Earthquake
- Roost
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge

By running this set, you still get a reliable check to Tyranitar (with the exception of the fairly rare Ice Beam set, which Scizor can revenge in a pinch), yet also get a decent counter to Lucario, and a generally bulky SR laying tank. Trying testing this and see what you think.

Aside from that, the team seems quite solid to me at the moment.
Good luck!

How is that an anti-lead, sorry but there is not much logic to it. If Metagross, Swampert, Azelf, Aerodactyl and other SR leads can get SR up with no problems, their job is pretty much done, and your 'anti lead' has failed.

Staraptor is in BL for a reason, and there is only ONE way to use him that would make him even worthy of a placement in an OU team. That is by using his powerful moves, that is Return, Brave Bird and Close Combat, and possibly U-Turn. However due to his typing, he is not an efficient scout nor choice item wearer, as Stealth Rock will completely ruin him. Basically you could use him as a CB or CS revenge killer, but make sure you have a FAST taunt lead...

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
@Rofellos
He is using an Endever staraptor, obviously you are anaware of the set since the goal is to get to 1 HP and then endever to get your opponients lead down to 1 HP and then you KO with quick attack. using Brave Bird wrecks the entire stratigy as the reciol or Brave Bird destroys the sash or can suicide Staraptor making it pointless.

I just don't get what you are trying to do with Staraptor. Smergle does this better as it can spore after taking a hit, then use Endever etc etc. Staraptor is prob best as a CB'er or a LO'ed attacker. Jirachi can utalise Wish and can act as a sweeper with Wish,CM,Thunderbolt, Psychic/Flash Cannon. It functions much better than Blissey and does not slow your teams momentium like Blissey can.

Change lead to swampert as with staraptor most leads wont even attack you at first, they'll go for the set-up. If you want to use that bird of prey so much change his set to scarf to revenge kill.

Hi.

Looking at this team, it is possible to patch up weaknesses to SD Lucario. Lucario can switch-into Scizor locked onto Pursuit and set-up a Swords Dance. After that, it will sweep with no retaliation as it outspeeds all the team and effectively OHKOes every single one of them with the appropriate move. Crunch OHKOes Celebi and Extreme Speed takes care of Staraptor while Close Combat disposes of Heatran, Blissey, Scizor and Blissey.
Without resorting to more complicated changes, the easiest fix to remedy this weakness would be using a Choice Scarf on Heatran as Heatran can effectively revenge kill Lucario after a SD as it outspeeds, resists Extreme Speed and OHKOes with Fire Blast. This change is rather necessary as the team previously lacked a revenge killer and a Lucario check which is important to have in the current metagame. Also, with Celebi handling bulky water types and Gyarados, HP Electric's use is limited; Dragon Pulse would be more useful as it hits Dragon types such as Salamence and Kingdra for SE damage and has decent coverage alongside Fire Blast.

Infernape is definitely a threat to your team as it out-speeds every member of your team and disposes of each and every one of them. Fire Blast murders Celebi, Scizor and Staraptor, Grass Knot hits Swampert for x4 SE damage and Close Combat OHKOes Blissey and Heatran.
Also, this team will have a hard time getting past a well structured Stall team since every Pokemon of yours is walled by a certain member of your standard Stall team. A specially defensive Skarmory and and Blisssey (aka Skarm-Bliss) walls your team alone and with entry hazards set-up, you will be obliged to switch and residual damage will gradually wear the team down.
In order to solve your Infernape and Stall problems, I would reccomend replacing Blissey with a Choice Specs Latias. Blissey didn't really fit the team as it's true home is on a Stall team. Latias is similar to Blissey in terms of checking as it sports very high Special Defence but still retaliates. Latias is a solid answer to Infernape only fearing U-Turn and helps with your problems with Stall thanks to it's instant hard hitting capabilities and it's ability to cripple with Trick. With Specs, Latias hits extremely hard and tears wholes into the opponents team. Here's the set:

Latias @ Choice Specs | Levitate
Timid | 4 HP / 252 SpAtk / 252 Spe
Draco Meteor | Thunderbolt | Surf | Trick

However, with Specs on Latias, the only downside of this change is that your team will have too many choice users; that's why I would suggest using a Swords Dance Scizor instead of CB which also alleviate your stall weakness. Go for Bullet Punch, Swords Dance, Superpower and Roost or Bug Bite @ Life Orb / Leftovers.

If you're going to use a Staraptor lead, you might as well read this post (http://www.smogon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2642287&postcount=887) for inspiration. Good Luck with the team.

Lead Staraptor can work, but it doesn't work the way you're using it. (Also, people suggesting Choice Scarf/Choice Band are wrong.) The "correct" Staraptor anti-lead is Adamant running a Life Orb with 252 Atk/252 Spe and Brave Bird/Return/Close Combat/Quick Attack.

Against Azelf, Return followed by Quick Attack is a guaranteed 2HKO. (Return brings it down to the Sash.)

Against Aerodactyl, Close Combat followed by Quick Attack is a guaranteed 2HKO.

Against Swampert, Brave Bird x2 is a guaranteed 2HKO while Ice Beam will never OHKO (78.5% max).

Staraptor loses to Metagross.

Against Jirachi, Close Combat will 2HKO most of the time, and Intimidate neuters its offensive ability, making it easy to switch something else in to set up (in particular, Lucario or Dragonite with Inner Focus, although be careful of Ice Punch).

Against Infernape, Brave Bird followed by Quick Attack is a guaranteed 2HKO. (BB brings it down to the Sash.)

Against Machamp, Brave Bird is an OHKO.

Ninjask, lol. Taken care of by Quick Attack.

Roserade is OHKOd by Brave Bird, although if it runs a Sash it will put you to sleep once it's at 1 HP.

Against Tyranitar, Close Combat is an OHKO.

Against Gliscor, Return is a 2HKO on all lead variations, while BB has an even chance to 2HKO the rare 252 HP/252 Def version. Also, Intimidate neuters all Gliscor running Sand Veil, which is most of them.

Against Heatran, Close Combat is an OHKO.

Etc., etc., etc.

If you want to use a Staraptor anti-lead, use LO Staraptor.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)