(OU) First RMT! Calm Before The Storm

Introduction

Hello smogoners' and welcome to my very first RMT! I'm extremely new to competitive battling, and this is a team I pieced together with the idea of a drizzle team, since they do seem to be prominent in the OU Metagame along with other weather-based teams. My aim was to construct an offensive rain team, which revolved around my main sweeper; Tornadus-T. I currently play and tweak my teams on Pokemon Online, so there may be some differences in tiers. Anyway, let's have a look at the team!

Team Building Process

I wanted to base a team around Tornadus' Therian form. Instantly I paired it with Politoed, as it can supply permanent rain for the whole duration of the match, with 100% accurate Hurricanes.

Next I needed a pokemon who could synergise well with Tornadus-T, and I stumbled upon Dugtrio. His immunities to Steel, Rock and Electric and the Arena Trap ablity make him the perfect partner.
Stealth Rocks were the ultimate undoing of my early team, and none of my Pokemon had the ability to counter entry hazards. I chose Tentacruel to join the team as he benefits from the rain, and has the all important Rapid Spin.

Tentacruel needed a partner in crime. Ferrothorn seemed like an ideal choice, as he has perfect synergy with Tentacruel, and can even set up entry hazards himself. His assistance was invaluable to the team.

Next I needed a revenge killer. Genesecet was chosen due to its flawless coverage and amazing speed when scarfed. It also checks Mamoswine and function well in the wet.

The defensive core of Tentacruel and ferrothorn wasn't really living up to its standard, and I was getting absolutely walled and frustrated with that pink monster Chansey. I needed a pokemon that would benefit from the rain, whilst simeltaneously acting as a 'makeshift' wallbreaker. Toxicroak was an obvious choice due to its typing and love for the rain.

However now I'd lost my spinner. The greatest asset to my team. Forretress with the same typing as Ferrothorn, also has a large defensive bulkiness to it. Forrestress replaced ferrothorn as my Special Wall.

Final team

In Depth

Politoed (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Drizzle
Nature: Bold (+Def, - Atk)
EVs: 226 HP | 252 Def | 32 Spd
Scald
Toxic
Protect
Perish Song

First we have the most important pokemon on the team, Politoed. He's the one who summons the rain and he helps quite a bit during my matches. The weather in play can easily decide the outcome of a match. Therefore the standard defensive Politoed has the most survivability, which allows it to supply rain the longest. Scald is a reliable STAB attack, especially in the rain. Scald also comes with a nice 30% burnhax chance which can help wither down walls and setup pokes. Toxic is mostly for predicted switches, which crippples the enemy's incoming counter. Then with the use of protect, it can often be stalled, and forcibly switched out. It also give Politoed a chance to recover some all important HP. Perish Song rounds off the set and can be used as a phazing move, or in conjunction with dugtio, as a "Perish-Trap" strategy. Perish Song is also useful to crush those pesky Baton Pass chains.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​

Tornadus-T (M) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Regenerator
Nature: Timid (+Spd, - Atk)
EVs: 248 SAtk | 8 Def | 252 Spd
Hurricane
Focus Blast
U-Turn
Sleep Talk

The king of the rain; Tornadus-T. This is the sole pokemon that the team was built around. The rest of my team aims to support it by weakening possible counters and providing a downpour of rain. Thanks to regen, it can take a hit or two when neccessary and switch out to regain some health. Choice Specs were chosen for the reliability of easy kills, with the bonus of a lot more longevity. Hurricane is the move you'll be spamming all game. U-Turn is to keep the team's momentum, and counters can be trapped with dugtrio. Focus blast is purely for greater coverage, and benefits from the increase in SAtk. And lastly, Sleep Talk is to leave Breloom and Smeargle users in dismay as Tornadus rips their team apart in his sleep.

Dugtrio (M) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Arena Trap
Nature: Naive (+Spd, - SDef)
EVs: 4 HP | 252 Atk| 252 Spd
Stealth Rock
Earthquake
Reversal
Stone Edge

Dugtrio's main purpose on the team is to trap opposing weather inducers and to check the team's large electrical weakness. Tyranitar and Ninetails are easily eliminated by Dugtrio, and he ensures that my rain stays is play. Dugtrio also has the vital role in clearing a clean sweep for either Toxicroak or Tornadus. Although there are not many opportunities, Focus Sash will guarentee Stealth Rock if i see fit. Earthquake OHKOs the common Heatran and Ninetails leads and usually 2HKOs Tyranitar and Jirarchi. With Focus Sash and boosted speed, Dugtrio is a serious Reversal abuser. Despite his low attack stats, Reversal can deal some serious damage. My team can esily be decimated by opposing setup sweepers so Memento is a must!

Genesect (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Download
Nature: Hasty (+Spd, - Def)
EVs: 8 Atk | 248 Atk| 252 Spd
U-Turn
Bug Buzz
Ice Beam
Thunder

My Scarfed Genesect is easily the fastest member of the team, and functions as my revenge killer. I run a Hasty nature over Mild to speed tie with opposing Scarfed Genesect is necessary. U-Turn again helps my team to keep momentum and a switch into Dugtrio is again a posibility if I wish to trap and counter the enemy. I run Bug Buzz over Flamethrower due to the presence of rain on the field. After a Download Boost, a STAB Bug Buzz can deal a lethal amount of damage in conjunction with Stealth Rocks and or Spikes and will often 2HKO a range of threats. The BoltBeam combo rounds off the set nicely. Genesect is given all important coverage for neutralising common threats such as Thundrus, Dragonite, Jellicent, Vaporeon and Landorus.

Toxicroak (M) @ Black Sludge
Trait: Dry Skin
Nature: Adamant (+Atk, - SAtk)
EVs: 244 HP | 252 Atk | 12 Spd
Substitute
Bulk Up
Drain Punch
Sucker Punch

Next we have Toxicroak, my answer to the pink blobs of fat Blissey and Chansey. Acting as the team's Physical Sweeper, Toxicroak checks these threats, which can easily wall my whole team with the correct support. Toxicroak also benefits from the rain, and with Black Sludge and the Dry Skin Ability; regains 18.75% of his max HP each turn. Substitute allows Toxicroak to come in on a weak foe, replenish lost HP, then begin to set up on incoming threats. Bulk Up works wonders on this set, not only maximizing his Attack stat, but also exponentially increasing his defence. Toxicroak essentially becomes both a physical sweeper and wall. Drain Punch is simply amazing. It adds to Toxicroak's ability to swiftly recover large amounts of HP, whilst simeltaneously dishing out dangerous blows. This makes taking out Toxicroak an even harder feat, and he is truely a force to be reckoned with. Finally Sucker Punch ensures priority, allowing him to finish off foes that would generally outspeed him.

Forretress (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
Nature: Sassy (+SDef, - Spd)
EVs: 252 HP | 252 SDef | 4 Def
Gyro Ball
Volt switch
Rapid Spin
Spikes

With such offensive momentum and constant switching, opposing entry hazards spell trouble for my team. A rapid spinner is a MUST. Forrestress is also invested is Special Defence, allowing him to sponge up strong Special Attacks from a range of threats. Forretress is also running a Sassy nature, which significantly boosts the strength of Gyro Ball. Volt Switch works to again keep momentum, and also to inflict serious damage to opposing bulky water-type pokemon that benefit from my rain. Rapid Spin is pretty straight forward, allows Forretress to remove those entry hazards that heavily cripple my pokemon; especially Stealth Rocks. Finally spikes finish the set, allowing for another means of residual damage, as switching will be common for both me and my opponent.

Last Look

Conclusion

I really appreciate those who have read through my senseless blabbering about the construction and operation of the team. Although I do hope you enjoyed it, I did try my hardest to make it interesting and visually appealing! Hopefully you enjoyed looking at the team, just as much as I did making it! I'm open to any changes that the community gives me, so feel free to kick me a pm or whatever with some constructive criticism. All Luvdiscs are welcome and appreciated! Cheers for the rates! Changes will be made in Bold.

Importable
Code:
[CENTER][SIZE=2][COLOR=black][COLOR=black]Politoed (F) @ Leftovers[/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE]
[COLOR=black]Trait: Drizzle[/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]Nature: Bold (+Def, - Atk)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef[/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]- Scald[/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]- Toxic[/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]- Protect[/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]- Perish Song[/COLOR][/CENTER]

[CENTER][COLOR=black]Tornadus-T (M) @ Choice Specs[/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]Trait: Regenerator[/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]Nature: Timid (+Spd, - Atk)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]EVs: 248 SAtk / 252 Spd / 8 Def[/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]- Hurricane[/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]- Focus Blast[/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]- U-Turn[/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]- Sleep Talk[/COLOR][/CENTER]

[CENTER][COLOR=black]Dugtrio (M) @ Focus Sash[/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]Trait: Arena Trap[/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]Nature: Naive (+Spd, - SDef)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd[/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]- Stealth Rock[/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]- Earthquake[/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]- Reversal[/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]- Memento[/COLOR][/CENTER]

[CENTER][COLOR=black]Genesect (M) @ Choice Scarf[/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]Trait: Download[/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]Nature: Hasty (+Spd, - Def)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]EVs: 8 Atk / 248 Atk / 252 Spd[/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]- U-Turn[/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]- Bug Buzz[/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]- Ice Beam[/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]- Thunder[/COLOR][/CENTER]

[CENTER][COLOR=black]Toxicroak (M) @ Black Sludge[/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]Trait: Dry Skin[/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]Nature: Adamant (+Atk, - SAtk)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]EVs: 244 HP / 252 Atk / 12 Def[/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]- Substitute[/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]- Bulk Up[/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]- Drain Punch[/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]- Sucker Punch[/COLOR][/CENTER]

[CENTER][COLOR=black]Forretress (F) @ Leftovers[/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]Trait: Sturdy[/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]Nature: Sassy (+SDef, - Spd)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Def[/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]- Gyro Ball[/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]- Volt switch[/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]- Rapid Spin[/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]- Spikes[/COLOR][/CENTER]
Updates

A Threat List is currently in progress.​

@Redless - Cheers man, really means alot! I'll take on board the advice and test out that Jellicent set.

Threat List is also currently in progress...

Hello, I got your request.

At first, on Toxicroak I would put those 12 Def EVs on Speed to outspeed 0 Speed Rotom-W which is really common in the current metagame. This EV spread would help you to place a Substitute (or just attack before it, of course) before Rotom-W Will-O-Wisps you. You will lose only 3 points in Def, they aren't so important, I guess.
Then, your team has some problem with Jellicent because only Tornadus-T can beat it, to solve this problem, I'd use 32 EVs on Speed on Politoed, they allow to Toxic it before it Taunts you. Finally, Genesect are now banned from OU tier, so I suggest you to replace it with Choice Scarf Jirachi. It has a similiar typing, it has U-Turn to continue the famous Volturn with Tornadus-T and it has a great coverage that allows to revenge kill many threats as the dragon types, for example. That's all, hope I helped, good luck. Here's Jirachi's set:

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- U-turn
- Iron Head
- Ice Punch
- Zen Headbutt

I don't know how many people have missed this, but as stated in the opening paragraph, this team is used on the main PO server, where Genesect is allowed. There have been three deleted posts about it already; the next one to point out that Gene is uber and therefore must be replaced gets their post deleted + an infraction.

ganj4lF

Nobody is safe from the power of science!
is a Team Rater Alumnus
Hi. Solid team you have, pretty standard Genesect Rain offense. I agree with Alexander about Toxicroak's EVs and Politoed's ones, since a little investment in speed can mitigate two problems your team otherwise has. The only other thing I'm not really a fan of is Memento on Dugtrio; while I can see why you're using it, you don't have any set-up sweeper to take advantage of it, thus its utility is slightly diminished. Since you already carry a Rapind Spinner, it's never a bad idea to try to preserve Dugtrio for later use, since most of the times it'll come in via VoltTurn chains, and thus will end up unscatched and with the Sash still intact. I'd like to suggest testing Stone Edge or Sucker Punch instead of it: Stone Edge hits Volcarona hard, which is quite useful since Volcarona outspeeds everything at +1, and if they're using a Rain set, it can be quite a problem (and also hits Rotom-H, that is now non-existant on PS!, but I guess it's still less uncommon in a Genesect infested meta); Sucker Punch helps against things like Lati@s or Jellicent that could otherwise easily hit you without fear of retaliation (they'll switch out anyway so Memento is not that great against them).

Other than that, solid team! Good luck.

Asek

Banned deucer.
Hi

Cool team. First off, I don't know much about PO usage statistic so if I'm wrong on whats used a lot ignore some of my advice. Anyways from my experience hydreigon and haxorus recieve low usage in a genesect meta, so running near full speed for them isn't very nessecary. I would switch to an EV spread of 92Atk/ 252SpA/ 164Spe. This allows you to outspeed all the stuff thats relevant and you need to revenge, while giving U-turn a bit of a kick to it, helping it put bigger dents into the threats you need to be hurting.

Now, I personally find Bulk Up Toxicroak very under whelming in the current metagame. It has very few places to set up and it is still easily revenged by many common pokemon even it finds its oppurtinity to sun, theirans and many other common pokemon revenge it. Not to mention it is easily Phazed out by hippowdon or skarmory, or straight up killed by gliscor. I would instead change your toxicroak set to the standard Swords Dance set. This set has a far better chance of sweeping, posing an immediate risk with quicker set up and the abilty to beat more threats in this metagame. It can also have a shot at sweeping out of rain which Bulk Up Croak will struggle to do. SD croak can muscle past Gliscor and dent hippodon and skarmory, making winning the weather war a bit easier. It overall is a far better sweeper than the Bulk Up set atm, so I would definitly switch the 2 sets. Swords Dance croak is still plenty durable, in rain LO is negated and drain punch will be healing a lot of your health back on scizor and other mons trying to revenge you.

As a final note I would drop U-Turn on tornadus. I run the same set and I find myself very rarely wanting U-Turn, I always wanted only 2 attacks so I could always do tonnes of damage to breloom barring misses and to a lesser extent amoonguss. If you find U-Turn particularly useful then you can keep it but I've always found Hurricane + Focus Blast more than adequate.

GL with the team
Toxicroak @ Life Orb
Nature: Adamant (+Atk -SpA)
Trait: Dry Skin
EV's: 252Atk/ 4SpD/ 252Spe
Swords Dance/ Drain Punch/ Ice Punch/ Sucker Punch

Ok, So it has been a while for me but I really like this team. So I would listen to the other rates you have gotten so far with the EV's and sucker punch on dugtrio. Now wioth what I would change is on genesect I would change him to a rock polish set of

Genesect @ Life orb

24HP/ 252SATK/ 4SDef/ 228 Spd
Modest Nature
-Rock POlish
-Giga Drain
-Ice Beam
-Flame Thrower/ Thunder

This will help with jelisent and I undersdtand that you loose u-turn on him but you already have the core with you other pokemon. The only other thing I would change is your set on toxicroak

I would change the item to LIfe orb because you still gain back health or you could keep black sludge your choice but the change the rest to

4Hp/ 252Atk/ 252Spd
-Swords Dance
-Sucker Punch
-Ice Punch
-Cross Chop/ Drain Punch

This set will help keep him in against jelicent gliscor and among other threats. With life orb it gives him alot more power plus with a swords dance when you bring him in to force a switch. The ev's can be changed to your liking those are just generic Ill help you out with better ev'sa when I remember what they were.

Well I hoped that helped

Uh the other thing is to run jolly on toxicroak to outrun jolly mamoswine and adamant lucario. With life orb you wont be missing out to much on not running adamant.

@A l e x a n d e r - Thank you for the EV advice, Politoed and Toxicroak seem to be functioning well with their speed investments, and are now outspeeding some common threats to my team, such as toxic stalling Jellicent

@ganj4lF - The EVs are working well thank you :) and i've been testing out Sucker Punch and Stone Edge on Dugtrio, and so far Stone Edge has proved more useful. Volcarona absolutely tears my team apart, so switching to Dugtrio, trapping it, then countering it seems to work exceptionally well! And I'm glad you liked the team!

@Asek and duke3528 - That's an interesting set the SD Toxicroak! I'll definitely test it out and see if it fits in nicely with my offensive play style. Thank you both very much for the suggestions!

@duke3528 - I though about using RP Genesect as it can also act as the teams main sweeper, however the choice scarf allows me to scout or revenge kill mons wih no hassle. I can also outspeed and check a threat with his diverse move set!

And Merry Christmas to everyone!

Ok,

If you give stealth rock to forretress you can get rid of dugtrio. I know that does not sound to good right now but here is what I purpose. Put a pokemon that abuses rain over dugtrio like gastrodon that is specially defensive with scald/ recover/ ice beam, toxic/ and lastly earth quake. gastrodon can take on volcarona and not worry about being fragile and should last alot longer than dugtrio and should help with the same threats. Now for politoed I would recomend

Politoed @ Splash Plate
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 248 SAtk / 8 Spd
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump -
- Ice Beam -
- Perish Song -
- Hidden Power [Grass]/ Toxic

Since you are going for a more offinsive team I think he would help out. He has decent natural bulk while this set still allows him to hit like a truck. I think adding these two things would help benefit yuor team. And with RP genesect I would still test him out because that way you are not locked into one move and he is very deadly. Good luck on your team

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)