[OU RMT] Calamity Trigger!

What did you think of the formatting in general?

• Nice, real easy on the eyes.

Votes: 112 72.7%
  • Terrible. Jesus Christ, why did you subject me to that mess?

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • Meh, not terrible, not the greatest either.

Votes: 31 20.1%

• Total voters

Information on BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger

BlazBlue is a traditional 2D fighter where two characters participate in a duel on a two dimensional plane. A round is called a "rebel" and one match can consist of one to five "rebels". To win a round, one player must either incapacitate the other by inflicting damage through various attacks to reduce health or by having more remaining health after the clock runs out if the rules of the match has one.

In a time now long past, mankind faced extinction at the hands of the "Black Beast", a creature that appeared out of the darkness. The Beast was possessed by an awesome power, and it appeared that the time of man would soon be at an end. It was then, in humanity's darkest hour, that six heroes of unknown origin came forward to defeat the Beast. They brought with them the ancient power of "magic", which they freely shared with mankind. Turning their ingenuity to the formation of new, more powerful weapons, humanity discovered a process by which they could infuse their own technology with the power of ancient magic. It was in this way that humanity created the "Armagus" and discovered a power far beyond what magic or technology alone could have given them.

With this new-found power, mankind once again confronted the Beast, with the six heroes fighting alongside them. After many long, blood-soaked battles, the Beast finally fell, ending what would come to be known as the "First War of Magic". The heroes who fought beside human warriors in the First War of Magic were immortalized for their deeds and, through generations, came to be known as the "Six Heroes".

An organization was formed during the First War to regulate the use of the "Grimoire Armagus", the Armagus training texts. This "Novus Orbis Librarium", and the power it wielded with the Grimoire Armagus, brought about great advances across the the spectrum of human technology. These gains threw mankind into a vast and all-encompassing reconstruction.

Decades have passed since the Librarium established itself as a dictatorship, and Armagus became the deciding factor in nearly all of humanity's affairs. This has led to a large socioeconomic gap between those who can wield the power of Armagus and those who cannot. Tensions began to flare, and before long a rebel organization calling itself the "Ikaruga Federation" appeared, defying the totalitarian authority of the Librarium. With the creation of the Federation, angry thoughts became open hostilities, and the "Second War of Magic" began. It was this conflict, which also came to be known as the "Ikaruga Civil War", that saw human using the power of Armagus against one another for the first time.

The Second War came to a close with the destruction of the Ikaruga Federation. Afraid of further conflict, the Librarium consummated its subjugation of the populace by issuing the following decree: "Whosoever chooses to defy the Novus Orbis Librarium shall be put to death, without exception."

Several years after the end of the Second War, a branch of the Libraruim, reputed to command a force as powerful as an entire nation's army, was suddenly and utterly destroyed. The few survivors spoke in hushed, shaken tones of a single man who had appeared out of nowhere, cutting down all in his path.

His name was "Ragna the Bloodedge"...

Introduction: Hi all! How's it going? Well, I hope. Well, this team was mostly created after reading the C&C section of Smogon. It was created with a special Pokemon in mind, Colbur Azelf Lead. I'd like to thank Cooltrainer and Seven Deadly Sins for this set. Cooltrainer was the original creator of it, while Seven Deadly Sins refined it and made if more usable in today's meta-game.

Well, there's not much really to say here. This team was practically built off of Colbur Azelf, though obviously, it wasn't focused completely around it. Let's just get to the RMT already, okay?

You've probably already noticed this, but I like to name teams after certain Game OSTs. This will be a reoccurring theme in all of my RMTs.

At A Glance

_|_
_|_
_|_
_|_
_|_
_|_
_|_

Type Chart

Impulse (Azelf) @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Levitate
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 8 HP | 140 Atk | 144 SpD | 216 Spe
IVs: 29 SpA

• Stealth Rock
  • Taunt
  • U-turn
  • Explosion
Why This Pokemon: Well, Azelf has always been one of my favorite Leads. It sets up very reliably, has the Speed to pull of a KO with one if its attacks, and it's just awesome in general. The meta-game has adapted to Azelf Leads though, which meant that Azelf needed to learn how to counter the Leads meant to stop it. Azelf brings needed momentum to this team, and can easily set up an opponents Lead to be taken out by Scizor or Starmie.

Why This Set: Machamp and Tyranitar. Both are, or rather, were dangerous threats to Azelf, Tyranitar especially. Against Tyranitar, the only thing you could do was lay down Stealth Rock, then die horribly to Payback and Sand Storm damage. With Machamp, you'll be hit by Payback, then Bullet Punch right after, meaning you still only managed to set up Stealth Rock, and now you're staring down a full HP Machamp. This set tells both Machamp and Tyranitar to STFU & GTFO, surviving their Payback attack, laying down Stealth Rock, and then having the option as to whether or not I want to use Explosion or U-turn.

Stealth Rock was needed on this team, as it is on every team. It's the best Utility move for a reason.

Taunt helps to shut down Leads that are still slower than Azelf, such as Swampert, Roserade, and Metagross, preventing them from laying down their Entry Hazards.

U-turn and Explosion work wonderfully together, giving me the option of switching to an appropriate counter (should Azelf be unable to deal with it properly), or going out in one last blaze of glory.

29 SpA IV is necessary to survive Roserade Leaf Storm 100% of the time, which is the strongest Special Attack I'll be facing as a Lead. If I don't drop my SpA IV down to 29, then the SpD IV drops down, and then I can be OHKO'd by Roserade, which is bad.

Statistics on the most common used Leads

- U-turn as it uses Taunt, then go to Scizor or Starmie for the OHKO. Not a difficult Lead to defeat.

Aerodactyl: Rock Slide (252 Atk) vs. Azelf (8 HP): 48.5% - 57.3%

- I use U-turn as it Taunts me, and go straight to Scizor for trapping it. They don't get up Stealth Rock, and Azelf is free to come back in later on, to lay down Stealth Rock (or to use Explosion).

Azelf: Fire Blast (252 SAtk) vs. Azelf (8 HP/144 SpD): 48.1% - 57%
Azelf: Psychic (252 SAtk) vs. Azelf (8 HP/144 SpD): 27.3% - 32.1%
Azelf: Explosion (4 Atk) vs. Azelf (8 HP): 199% - 234.1%

- Only Choice Specs Fire Blast is a OHKO, but how many Choice Spec Heatran have you seen as a Lead? I can Taunt it, then Stealth Rock, Stealth Rock, then U-turn, or Stealth Rock, then Explosion. I just play around with it.

Heatran: Fire Blast (252 SAtk) vs. Azelf (8 HP/144 SpD): 74.7% - 88.1%
Heatran: Explosion (252 SAtk) vs. Azelf (8 HP): 149.8% - 176.5%
Heatran: Hidden Power [Grass] (252 SAtk) vs. Azelf (8 HP/144 SpD): 29% - 34.5%

- Not only is Fake Out + Fire Blast not a OHKO, but I out-speed Infernape as well. I can easily lay down Stealth Rock, U-turn to break their Focus Sash, then OHKO with Starmie. Easily dealt with.

Infernape: Fake Out (64 Atk) vs. Azelf (8 HP): 14.7% - 17.4%
Infernape: Fire Blast (252 SAtk) vs. Azelf (8/144 SpD HP): 63.5% - 75.1%
Infernape: Close Combat (64 Atk) vs. Azelf (8 HP): 32.4% - 38.2%

- Jirachi always has a chance to defeat your Lead, unless you're running something with Inner Focus (Dragonite, Lucario, Gallade). Iron Head means I'm only attacking 40% of the time. Heatran could care less though, resisting Iron Head, gladly accepting a Choice Scarf (should it use Trick), and does massive damage with Fire Blast.

Jirachi: Iron Head (252 Atk) vs. Azelf (8 HP): 50.2% - 59.4%
Jirachi: U-turn (252 Atk) vs. Azelf (8 HP): 58% - 68.9%

- This thing here is no longer a real threat. Payback + Bullet Punch can't 2HKO Azelf anymore, regardless of the set Machamp chooses to run (Encore + Substitute, or the Attacking Lead). Meanwhile, I can set up Stealth Rock, then use Explosion for the OHKO.

Machamp: Payback (160 Atk) vs. Azelf (8 HP): 51.5% - 60.8%
Machamp: Stone Edge (160 Atk) vs. Azelf (8 HP): 51.5% - 60.8%
Machamp: DynamicPunch (160 Atk) vs. Azelf (8 HP): 38.6% - 45.4%

Machamp:
Payback (240 Atk) vs. Azelf (8 HP): 54.3% - 64.2%
Machamp: Bullet Punch (240 Atk) vs. Azelf (8 HP): 21.8% - 25.9%
Machamp: Stone Edge (240 Atk) vs. Azelf (8 HP): 54.3% - 64.2%
Machamp: Ice Punch (240 Atk) vs. Azelf (8 HP): 40.6% - 48.1%
Machamp: DynamicPunch (240 Atk) vs. Azelf (8 HP): 40.6% - 48.1%

- Stone Edge + Ice Shard is only a 2HKO if both attacks hit maximum damage output, which is kind of rare (laughably, with maximum damage output, it hits exactly 100%). A large part of the time, it isn't a 2HKO, which is great for Azelf. I can use Stealth Rock, U-turn out, then go to Scizor for the OHKO. Easy to defeat, but I gotta be kind of careful.

Mamoswine: Stone Edge (252 Atk) vs. Azelf (8 HP): 54.9% - 64.8%
Mamoswine: Ice Shard (252 Atk) vs. Azelf (8 HP): 33.1% - 39.2%

- Meteor Mash will never OHKO Azelf, allowing me to set up Stealth Rock. Bullet Punch after Meteor Mash will OHKO. If they haven't set up Stealth Rock, and used Bullet Punch, there's a good chance that they're using a Metagross that Lead that lacks Earthquake. To gauge this, I send out Heatran, then switch to Flygon. If they went with Earthquake, then I have to predict around it a little bit.

Metagross: Meteor Mash (236 Atk) vs. Azelf (8 HP): 84% - 98.6%
Metagross: Bullet Punch (236 Atk) vs. Azelf (8 HP): 33.8% - 39.9%
Metagross: Explosion (236 Atk) vs. Azelf (8 HP): 277.8% - 327%

- Stealth Rock as they use Protect, then Taunt them. U-turn out, then go to Scizor or Heatran. Easy win is easy. Oh, and just so you know my stance on this, LOL Ninjask with offensive moves!

Ninjask: X-Scissor (252 Atk) vs. Azelf (8 HP): 92.8% - 110.6%
Ninjask: Aerial Ace (252 Atk) vs. Azelf (8 HP): 34.8% - 41.3%

Ninjask: X-Scissor (8 Atk) vs. Azelf (8 HP): 80.5% - 94.9%

- Out-speed it, use Taunt to prevent Toxic Spikes (even though a large portion of my team doesn't particularly care about Toxic Spikes) and Sleep Powder, then Stealth Rock. Leaf Storm is never a OHKO. After setting up Stealth Rock, U-turn out to Heatran, to absorb -2 Leaf Storm, or get a Flash Fire boost from a Hidden Power [Fire].

Roserade: Leaf Storm (252 SAtk) vs. Azelf (8 HP/144 SpD): 84.3% - 99.7%
Roserade: Hidden Power [Fire] (252 SAtk) vs. Azelf (8 HP/144 SpD): 28.3% - 33.4%
Roserade: Grass Knot (252 SAtk) vs. Azelf (8 HP/144 SpD): 12.3% - 14.7%

- Taunt it first, then set up Stealth Rock. From there, I'll usually use Explosion to completely cripple Swampert (or even OHKO it), or I'll use U-turn to scout for Protect or a Ghost-type switch-in.

Swampert: Ice Beam (0 SAtk) vs. Azelf (8 HP/144 SpD): 22.9% - 27%
Swampert: Surf (0 SAtk) vs. Azelf (8 HP/144 SpD): 34.1% - 40.3%

- Well, it really depends on how I want to play it. I can go for a U-turn right off the bat, hitting for a maximum of 37.1, and go to Scizor for the chance to OHKO with another U-turn (or I can go for Superpower right of the bat). Or, I can use Stealth Rock, and then use U-turn, which leaves me with an Azelf that I can use as Explosion fodder later on.

Tyranitar: Payback (32 Atk) vs. Azelf (8 HP): 71.7% - 84.3%
Tyranitar: Stone Edge (32 Atk) vs. Azelf (8 HP): 71.7% - 84.3%

- Outside of the odd U-turn or Stone Edge, it can't damage me in the slightest. Taunt it, set up Stealth Rock, move on. If they're carrying U-turn though, they can easily set Azelf up to be screwed, switching to Scizor. If I used Stealth Rock on their U-turn, then Azelf has served its purpose, and on its KO, I can send out Heatran to force it out.

Gliscor: U-turn (0 Atk) vs. Azelf (8 HP): 44.4% - 52.6%
Gliscor: Stone Edge (0 Atk) vs. Azelf (8 HP): 31.4% - 37.2%

As you can see, Colbur Azelf can topple the most commonly used Leads, with surprisingly little effort. The only Lead that it can't easily deal with are Metagross (who retains his 2HKO), and Jirachi (who is a prick to all Leads). I'm expecting that, after the set gets put on site, it'll become the new standard of Azelf leads, other than maybe Choice Scarf Trick Azelf.

Weaknesses:

Resistances:

Thin RED Line (Heatran) @ Life Orb
Ability: Flash Fire
Nature: Naive
EVs: 4 Atk | 252 SpA | 252 Spe

• Fire Blast
  • Earth Power
  • Hidden Power [Grass] / [Electric]
  • Explosion

Why This Pokemon: Heatran brings a needed resistance to Bug, Ghost, and Fire-type attacks. During the creation of this team, I noticed a major weakness to Ghost and Bug-type attacks, two types that were rather common (Rotom-A/Gengar and Scizor are the first three Pokemon I think of when I hear Bug and Ghost-type). After a bit of revamping, I finally fell upon Heatran as resistance to both of those types, and it takes Fire-type attacks, which is perfect.

Why This Set: Well, at first, I was rather shaky on this set. I didn't want to give it Choice Scarf or Choice Specs though, since three Choice Pokemon is a big no-no. So, Life Orb it is. I'm still considering changing this to a Substitute set, but keeping Life Orb, as it has pulled my ass out of the fire quite a few times (no pun intended).

Fire Blast and Earth Power are two of Heatran's most used attacks, found on nearly every single set that it has. Hidden Power [Grass] is to take out pesky Swampert that would cause problems for Salamence later on, and for other bulky Water-type switch-ins. Explosion is my last-ditch attack, and my final solution against Blissey. The pink ball of fat can't afford to take an Explosion followed by Scizor U-turn, so it'll be dead easily (which gives Starmie a slightly easier time).

As I stated above, Substitute is being considered, probably over Hidden Power [Grass]. I've had plenty of times that I could have used Substitute, but couldn't since I didn't have the move on the set. I would still win the match, but I'd have a slightly harder time.

6/14/10 Edit: I've changed Life Orb to Shuca Berry, to fake a Choice Scarf. It works wonderfully with Choice Scarf Scizor, with Scizor U-turn out (usually as they switch), and then I send out Heatran. Usually, in paranoia, they'll switch out again, only to be nailed by Fire Blast. From there, depending on what they switched in, I'm left with two courses of action: switching out (and playing the role of a 'Choice Scarf' Heatran by attacking once and switching), or staying in and hitting my opponent with something they weren't expecting. Hidden Power [Electric] is something I'm currently testing, since Gyarados enjoy switching into Heatran, only to receive OHKO in retaliation. Hidden Power [Grass] is my one of my best ways of handling Swampert though, so that leaves me in a bit of a predicament. However, without rolling maximum damage, and Stealth Rock being on the field, I can't even OHKO MixPert, maxing out at 98%, while Surf and Earthquake can bring Heatran down to less than 50% HP.

6/15/10 Edit: Shuca Heatran can't even live through Salamence Earthquake, which is the whole freaking point of using Shuca Heatran as bait. Changed back to Life Orb Heatran, due to complete suckage on ShucaTran.

Weaknesses:

Resistances:

Bullet Dance (Scizor) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Technician
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 12 HP | 252 Atk | 244 Spe

• Superpower
  • U-turn
  • Pursuit
  • Iron Head
Why This Pokemon: C'mon now; Scizor doesn't need any explanation as to why he's on a team. He's practically standard in and of himself. It's rare to see a team that doesn't use Scizor, Choice Band or otherwise.

Scizor works well with Heatran and Azelf, drawing Fire-type attacks for Heatran, and taking Bug and Dark-type attacks for Azelf. It also works well with Salamence, taking Ice-type attacks for the dominant Dragon, while Salamence can take Fire-type attacks, should Heatran be done for.

Why This Set:
First thing's first, I'd like to direct you to this page Read it before criticizing Choice Scarf Scizor

Second, don't bother suggesting Choice Band, because I'm not going to listen to it. Choice Band Scizor does not work on this team at all! I love the speed I get from Choice Scarf, and I have no intention on changing that. Choice Band is as slow as shit, and easily gets killed by things like Starmie and Heatran.

Superpower takes care of opposing Steel-type Pokemon, as well as Pokemon like Tyranitar. Choice Scarf Tyranitar is always surprised to see a Scizor out-speed it without using Bullet Punch.

U-turn is one of the main reasons to use Choice Scarf Scizor. Who doesn't like a speedy U-turn? With Choice Scarf and U-turn, I can scout for a dangerous Fire-type attack, U-turn out to Heatran, and gain a Flash Fire boost, which I then use for tremendous damage.

I exchanged Bullet Punch for Iron Head. In my opinion, Bullet Punch wasn't really doing much. Yeah, it was hitting first, but it wasn't doing nearly as much as Choice Band Bullet Punch with Technician.

Resistances:

Weaknesses:

Marionette Purple (Starmie) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Natural Cure
Nature: Modest
EVs: 4 HP | 252 SpA | 252 Spe

• Surf
  • Ice Beam
  • Thunderbolt
  • Trick
Why This Pokemon: Starmie is just awesome. It's got great stats, access to some high-powered attacks, and can function as a Status Absorber thanks to its ability, Natural Cure. Here, it functions as a Revenge Killer, my insurance policy against Dragon Dance Gyarados and Salamence, both of which are OHKO'd by Ice Beam and Thunderbolt. Starmie can also cripple walls, and take down Pokemon that are hit for neutral damage by Hydro Pump.

Why This Set: Well, every team should have some kind of check to Dragon Dance Salamence and Gyarados, be it Rotom-A, Suicune, or something else entirely. In this case, my check is Starmie.

Starmie works wonderfully well with Salamence, taking Ice-type attacks like a pro, and hitting back with one of its wonderful coverage attacks. Ice Beam and Thunderbolt give me BoltBeam coverage, hitting everything but Shedinja for neutral damage. Hydro Pump is just a great STAB attack to abuse on neutral targets. Trick is useful for crippling walls of any kind, but I'm thinking of replacing it with Grass Knot. The ability to not have to predict whether or not they're going to switch in Tyranitar or Gyarados (both are hit rather hard regardless) is tempting.

I'm also currently testing a Modest nature over Timid. Choice Scarf Starmie still out-speeds +1 Salamence and Gyarados, as well as Choice Scarf Flygon, just barely in Choice Scarf +Spe nature Flygon and +1 Salamence (493 is Starmie's Speed with Choice Scarf, while Flygon and Salamence clock out at 492).

Modest would also give me a chance to 2HKO Choice Scarf Tyranitar with Surf, something that just loves to come in on Starmie and ruin the parade. I'll be testing Modest on Starmie, seeing as, with Choice Scarf, Starmie is still fulfilling its role as the +1 Salamence/Gyarados/Flygon counter.

06/14/10 Edit: I changed Starmie's nature to Modest, and changed Hydro Pump to Surf. The extra power was just too much to pass up, especially considering that I'm still out-speeding threats that need to be out-sped, so I see no reason in not giving Starmie some more power.

Resistances:

Weaknesses:

Weak Executioner (Jirachi) @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 HP | 220 Def | 36 Spe

• Wish
  • Calm Mind / Charge Beam
  • Thunderbolt / Flash Cannon
  • Psychic
Why This Pokemon: Oh Jirachi, is there anything you can't do? You can run a Choice Scarf, you can play Support, Life Orb, Calm Mind, even Rain Dance. You scoff at other Leads, and you destroy teams with your 60% Flinch rate. You're not only a wish maker, you're a miracle worker.

Jirachi and Salamence have great strength together, resisting the other's weakness perfectly. Jirachi needed to be a bit bulky on this team, so he's playing the role of Support Pokemon here.

Why This Set:
I finally changed this set to a Calm Mind + Wish set. Support Jirachi was simply slowing down the team as a whole. With this set, not only can I keep the momentum going, but I also have a back-up sweeper, for those 'just in case' situations. Psychic was chosen because, regardless of +1 or +2, Choice Scarf Tyranitar doesn't give a damn about Flash Cannon.

I'm actually testing out Charge Beam over Calm Mind, for the coverage that it provides along with Psychic and Flash Cannon. The fact that it provides a boost 100% of the time (90%, if you factor in Accuracy) is extremely nice. The only time it's ever let me down is against Offensive Suicune, which can out-speed and hit hard with Surf.

Possible Changes: An all-physical, Wish passing set with U-turn. I mean, with four Pokemon using U-turn, I'm going to constantly be forcing switches. Besides, with Jirachi, I lure in Choice Scarf Tyranitar, hit it with U-turn, frighten it off with Scizor, then U-turn again on their switch.

Weaknesses:

Resistances:

Condemnation Wings (Flygon) @ Expert Belt
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP | 252 Atk | 252 Spe

• U-turn
  • Dragon Claw
  • Earthquake
  • Fire Blast
Why This Pokemon: Flygon patches up my Tyranitar and Jolteon weakness rather well. It can come in on Jolteon's Thunderbolt, and Tyranitar's Stone Edge, something Salamence couldn't do. It lacks a Stealth Rock weakness, unlike Salamence, meaning that now my entire team either resists, or is neutral towards Stealth Rock. Flygon avoids Spikes, both Toxic and otherwise. Toxic Spikes isn't even a large problem with this team, seeing as only one Pokemon can even be hit by it, and Starmie has Natural Cure regardless. No, the much bigger threat is Spikes, which does damage to everything on my team, bar Azelf and Flygon. Luckily, at most, my opponent only usually manages one-to-two layers before having their Spiker KOed.

Flygon just as well as Salamence did with Jirachi, and even better with Azelf and Scizor. As for why, I'll explain that in the set comments.

Why This Set:
Surprisingly, Bluffgon is something most people never expect. Basically, the idea behind it is to use U-turn in the beginning, to reinforce the idea that Flygon is holding a Choice Scarf. After scouting out their counters to Flygon, I weaken them using Choice Scarf Scizor and Starmie. Flygon's most common counters would be Flying-types or Pokemon with Levitate: anything that can resist Earthquake and U-turn (Flygon's most used moves early game). Once Flygon's 'counter' has been weakened, Flygon can really start having some fun. For example, any Salamence that has switched into Stealth Rock twice, even under Intimidate, is KOed by Dragon Claw from Flygon.

Without ThunderPunch, Gyarados, both Bulky and Offensive, is a problem for Bluffgon. After Intimidate, Dragon Claw is only doing a maximum of 31.7%, not even a 2HKO with Stealth Rock factored in. Regardless, Life Orb Offensive Gyarados is doing a max of 85.4 with Waterfall, at +0, so it would just be smarter to U-turn to Starmie at that point.

However, should I drop Fire Blast for ThunderPunch, this entire set is walled horribly by Skarmory, which isn't a huge problem considering a large portion of my team either sets up on or chases Skarmory off, but it's still something to be wary of.

Now, allow me to ask you: have you ever faced a team where half of the members just keep using U-turn? From my own personal experience, I can say that it's much more fun being on the other side of those U-turns. Half of my team can use U-turn, countering my opponent's counter, force a switch, and rack up even more Stealth Rock damage. U-turn also allows Flygon to successfully bluff a Choice Scarf, something Bluffgon is built to do. Not only that, but Flygon and Scizor resist eachother's weaknesses perfectly, even dodging the commonly used neutral Earthquake. They can simply U-turn back and forth between one another, scout for counters, eliminate said counters with help from their teammates, and go for a sweep.

Resistances:

Weaknesses:

End Notes: Nothing really to put here, other than the fact that this entire RMT took from 12:00 AM until 3:16 AM, for a grand total of three hours and sixteen minutes, a new record for me. It mostly took that long cause I kept getting distracted on the Shoddy Smogon server, arguing about which set was better, Parafusion Lanturn or Substitute + Charge Beam OU Lanturn.

Rate it, review it, steal it (please don't steal it -_-), or whatever. And with that, I'm going to pass out now.

Condemnation Wings (Salamence) @ Life Orb
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk | 4 SpA | 252 Spe

• Dragon Dance
  • Outrage
  • Fire Blast
  • Earthquake
Why This Pokemon: Okay, I know I had to explain Scizor, but you've just gotta be screwing with me at this point. Salamence is the KING of OU! Everyone knows about Salamence, to the point where it's damn near required for your team to carry a Salamence check/counter. Hell, Salamence is so good that they're debating on whether or not to ban it to the Ubers tier, just like Garchomp and Latias.

Salamence brings another useful resistance to Ground-type attacks, and is my main clean-up Sweeper.

Why This Set: I feel that this set is one of the more dangerous Salamence sets available. You start off with Dragon Dance, and your opponent thinks 'Okay, it's just Dragon Dance, I can handle this!', and then BOOM, a freaking Draco Meteor drops from the heavens, crushing freaking everything, leaving your opponent in shock and awe, and slight horror, as they now realize that Salamence is going to rip their team a new asshole now.

Outrage + Draco Meteor is a dangerous combination, hitting from the Special and Physical spectrum, decimating both sides. Fire Blast is for those annoying Steel-types that just love switching into Salamence.

Fire Blast was changed to Earthquake, seeing as this way, I have a much easier time dealing with opposing Heatran (who resisted all of my attacks when I ran Fire Blast), and allows me to KO Jirachi, while dealing decent damage to things like Forretress. I'm not too worried about the loss of Fire Blast now, seeing as I have Heatran to deal with things like Skarmory and Scizor.

I moved the 80 Atk EVs into Speed, after getting quite a few responses telling me to do so, to at least Speed Tie with Choice Scarf Jirachi and other +Spe nature Salamence. Winning 50% of the time is obviously better than winning 0% of the time, and at least I can boost my Attack stat with Dragon Dance. 252 SpA Draco Meteor is still hurting a lot of things, and 4 Atk Outrage is still painful, so it looks like everything's good here.

06/14/10 Edit: Still trying out Dragon Dance Salamence. Bulky Salamence will be the next one I test out, but I hope that it's good.

Plus

中国风暴 trademark
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Okay got your vm and I have time now so I'll rate.

This is actually a really solid team, there isn't too much to say here. You will probably want to watch out for faster threats such as Jolteon, Specs Jolteon can rip holes in this team with Thunderbolt as there isn't anything that resists it, so you can't get Starmie in there safely. If Starmie loses its Scarf then you have Jirachi to Body Slam and Heatran to last one and Earth Power, but apart from that you'll be losing one pokemon if your opponent attempts to revenge kill with Jolteon.

Those attack EVs on Salamence aren't as important as speed tieing with all base 100s. I don't believe those EVs do anything significant rather than pack more of a punch, even if it scored a noteworthy OHKO on a pokemon, I don't think it's as important as playing a 50/50 against something like a Scarf Jirachi that could potentially stand in your way, and you'd be bringing in mence late game anyways where most things should be weakened at the very least.

I would probably advise keeping the HP Grass on Heatran, reason being that Swampert is a little troublesome for this team, it comes in on a multitude of pokemon such as Jirachi, Tbolt / Ice Beam on Starmie, Pursuit / Bullet Punch for Scizor. Though you can't always switch Heatran in on Swampert, at the very least you want to have a free shot kill with a little surprise punch to it. Furthermore, Cursepert would be very annoying to this team if you didn't have HP Grass, as you can't always depend on Starmie to have a Trick ready, and it can soak up Draco Meteors and Outrages on Mence once it gets a curse up. Getting a Curse up isn't too hard with your team, you have the pokemon and moves I stated above which will be set up bait for Swampert.

Nothing too major, perhaps you could consider running Classic Mixmence or DDMence over the current Mence you have now, I'm aware it "rips teams a new asshole", but there are still problems that come with Mence. The stealth rock weakness is pretty annoying, and the fact that you're walled by Heatran is also kinda disappointing. Apart from Azelf who is going to go bye-bye early game, Mence is your only Ground immune, while everything else is either neutral or SE to earth power. I understand that you like the sheer power, though I'm just not sure if it's going to last long enough or sustain a good sweep without Earthquake or Roost. So, perhaps you could test both mixmence with roost and ddmence with EQ over Draco Meteor, while putting all your satk evs into attack instead. With that done, you can probably try out Dragon Claw over Outrage as well, seeing as you have enough attack to invest in a weaker move like that.

Good luck with the team.

Awesome team here man, the only thing that I see that could be troublesome is a DDtar with fire punch since it can KO more than half your team if it manages to set-up and the chances of that happening is a longshot. The only worthwhile considerations I could see is running the Bulk DD-mence, as Plus have suggested so that you could set-up on stupid checks like scizor.

Great team really, I wont be expecting any modifactions soon cause theyre not needed=D

This team is rock solid, using common pokemon with uncommon sets can be very successful.

Out of your team, I would keep trick on Starmie. Yea, it KOs swampert, but you already have HP grass, and you need trick more than you need another grass move. (just in case you explode when blissey protects, ect) When I used scarfmie, I found that it was the perfect revenge killer in that it gets surprise KOs on gyara, salamence, flygon, gengar, ect, just don't switch into EQ. Anyways, the point is that you can run modest. This still allows you to outspeed +1 salamence, flygon, and +2 metagross and empoleon, but allows is important for 2HKOing scizor and ttar on the switch. With surf. When I lost starmie to pursuit, I was helpless against these threats. With this, you can reliably 2HKO them both on the switch without breaking a sweat. Scarftar won't see it coming. Hyropump only works 64% of the time.

As far as Salamence goes, the mixed dancer works wonders. I actually think it works better, much better, that the new mixmence. However, I would, without a doubt, run max speed and keep outrage, and use earthquake. Most mixmence run max speed, and at least tying with them is vital. Also, fire blast isn't actually hitting much, run EQ to hit CM jirachi and heatran. Hitting a suicune on the switch with DM and using dragon claw won't always work, so use outrage. Remember, they switched in their counter, so outraging is usually fine.

The last thing is jirachi. I think you should make it a tad more offensive (the bold wish set) simply because azelf is dying quickly, salamence is dying quickly, and heatran is dying quickly. You can still pass wish, but you can also attack more efficiently and possibly sweep.

BTW-I use specstran lead. It can KO most of the common leads, but don't worry about.

I think that replacing psychic with taunt will do azelf better. You could always bluff taunts and with psychic, you have an easier time dealing with lead machamp (who is alot more common now) without having to explode. Just a thought.

In my RMT, I'm using the same Azelf set :P

http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72930

Anyways, I'd go with the Standar LO Starmie who just decimates stall. Rotom can't switch into it because it gets 2hkod by Hydro Pump, so spinning is easy as hell.
Go with a set of

Starmie@Life Orb
Timid
Hydro Pump
Thunderbolt
Recover / Ice Beam
Rapid Spin / Ice Beam

In my RMT, I'm using the same Azelf set :P

http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72930

Anyways, I'd go with the Standar LO Starmie who just decimates stall. Rotom can't switch into it because it gets 2hkod by Hydro Pump, so spinning is easy as hell.
Go with a set of

Starmie@Life Orb
Timid
Hydro Pump
Thunderbolt
Recover / Ice Beam
Rapid Spin / Ice Beam
I was tempted to run Life Orb Starmie, but the problem that I have with it is, if I do run Life Orb, I lose my check to quite a few things. Without Choice Scarf, I can't check +1 Salamence or Gyarados reliably, both of which can tear through me entire team with enough effort.

But dont let Mence set up. It cant set up on anything, bar scizor but just play cautiously with it.
But...if it can set up on anything, then I can't really play it cautiously. If it can set up on anything, then it will be getting at least one Dragon Dance up, which means I'll be needing Starmie to take it down.

Hey, I got your VM, but this team is actually fantastic, the presentation and overall style reminds me of Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. This team is too good for me to give any good advice for, and the synergy is such that I couldn't replace a single member. I guess get rid of Naive on mence for jolly since you don't have fire blast now.

Hey, I got your VM, but this team is actually fantastic, the presentation and overall style reminds me of Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. This team is too good for me to give any good advice for, and the synergy is such that I couldn't replace a single member. I guess get rid of Naive on mence for jolly since you don't have fire blast now.
Well, I do have Draco Meteor still, and running Jolly would put a slight dent in its power. I'm thinking of dropping Draco Meteor all together and going for either Dragon Dance Salamence, or one of the two MixMences.

Well, I do have Draco Meteor still, and running Jolly would put a slight dent in its power. I'm thinking of dropping Draco Meteor all together and going for either Dragon Dance Salamence, or one of the two MixMences.
Oh I'm sorry, I was thinking for some reason that Fire Blast had been your only special move. Yeah, keep Naive.

Hey Pidgey, this is a really great team. I don't have any advice at all for it since I'm much less experienced than you are. I'm just posting regarding your poll and such. I voted on the first option that it's great and easy on the eyes; however, the one thing that really isn't easy on the eyes, in my own opinion, is the type chart that you have. I've viewed this RMT on two computers of different resolutions, but it's blurry on both. Good luck on your team, Pidgey.

- Meteor Mash will never OHKO Azelf, allowing me to set up Stealth Rock. Bullet Punch after Meteor Mash will OHKO.
um...wrong. Azelf can be OHKO'd by CB Metagross, Agiligross, and Mixed Attacker Metagross, even though they aren't commonly used as leads.

Otherwise, this looks like a pretty solid team.

um...wrong. Azelf can be OHKO'd by CB Metagross, Agiligross, and Mixed Attacker Metagross, even though they aren't commonly used as leads.

Otherwise, this looks like a pretty solid team.
I'm talking commonly used Leads. What are the statistics of any of those Metagross in the Lead position?

Psychic is a bad idea against Machamp. He'll take a chunk of damage and you'll get taken out. Explosion is a superior choice against Machamp, or switching out. Only something like choice specs psychic would be worthwhile against Machamp.

You could give leftovers/substitute a try on Heatran, over HP grass. It's very effective although life orb Heatran can be really good too if you have the defensive capabilities for it.

Cool team. Scarf Starmie + Wish Jirachi > Scarf Jirachi + Rapid Spinner Starmie.

Scarf on Scizor makes sense for this team considering Lucario and the such. Very nice against DD Tyranitar.

I'm not positive but it seems like a stall team might be tough to handle. Heatran and Starmie could prove useful, but it looks like it would be up to Salamence to make a sweep.

I didn't like the EVs on Salamence at first but I suppose they make sense. Draco meteor is a huge gain for a less obnoxiously powerful outrage. It also gives you a more expendable dragon attack and that could mess opponent's up who were planning on baiting an outrage.

Timid on Starmie is intelligent, helping against Kingdra (by tricking him). Your team seems rain dance weak though. Other than Starmie and Jirachi it's a fairly straight forward sweep, and your team doesn't do anything to really make the life of a rain dance team painful.

Cool team though.

are those low accuracy moves really worth it? IE: Hydro Pump/Fire Blast
Well, this goes back to the age-old predicament of Power vs. Accuracy. It's kind of like using Focus Blast on...well, just about anything. It's like 'Yeah, if this hits, it's a OHKO!', until you realize it has a 30% chance of missing. Then it really makes you think 'If I miss, am I screwed?'. Personally, I prefer Power vs. Accuracy. I rarely lose due to missing attacks. It's mostly predictions that didn't pan out correctly.

Psychic is a bad idea against Machamp. He'll take a chunk of damage and you'll get taken out. Explosion is a superior choice against Machamp, or switching out. Only something like choice specs psychic would be worthwhile against Machamp.
Exactly right. That's why the old Azelf Leads never had a chance in hell to defeat Anti-Lead Machamp. Well, that, and the fact that they were practically tailored to kill off Azelf.

You could give leftovers/substitute a try on Heatran, over HP grass. It's very effective although life orb Heatran can be really good too if you have the defensive capabilities for it.
I'm actually currently testing Substitute over Explosion. It's working somewhat well, with Fire Blast shaving off a bit over 30% of Blissey's health with Life Orb. I've been thinking about swapping Life Orb out for Leftovers, but keeping Hidden Power [Grass] to deal with Water-types. Just another thing to test out.

Cool team. Scarf Starmie + Wish Jirachi > Scarf Jirachi + Rapid Spinner Starmie.

Scarf on Scizor makes sense for this team considering Lucario and the such. Very nice against DD Tyranitar.
Yeah, Lucario can be a really massive prick to this team. With Crunch, Ice Punch, and Close Combat, he's taking out a decent amount of my team. Of course, he can't run Crunch and Ice Punch, unless he's sacrificing Swords Dance or ExtremeSpeed, so that gives me a bit of leeway there. Dragon Dance Tyranitar is always checked by Choice Scarf Scizor, which is always a nice surprise for my opponent. They expect a Bullet Punch (which will be weakened by their Babiri Berry), then get OHKO'd by Superpower, after being out-sped. It's also a valuable weapon against Celebi using Leaf Storm.

I'm not positive but it seems like a stall team might be tough to handle. Heatran and Starmie could prove useful, but it looks like it would be up to Salamence to make a sweep.
Yeah, Stall can be somewhat difficult. I can break down some walls with Salamence, and cripple one with Starmie, but that's about the limit of that. However, with Heatran (behind a Substitute), and with Blissey gone (or crippled from Starmie's Trick), can do some decent damage to Stall with Life Orb boosted STAB Fire Blast. After that, it's just a matter of prediction.

Timid on Starmie is intelligent, helping against Kingdra (by tricking him). Your team seems rain dance weak though. Other than Starmie and Jirachi it's a fairly straight forward sweep, and your team doesn't do anything to really make the life of a rain dance team painful.

Cool team though.

Modest is working somewhat well so far though, and I'm really appreciating that extra boost in power. Rain Dance completely wrecks havoc, as you said, but I think that Rain Dance teams are starting to become scarce. With all the Choice Scarf Tyranitar abound OU, Rain Dance teams are becoming a bit more difficult to set up. With just a single switch-in, the entire set up is ruined. From there, things like Kabutops (who's only a real threat in rain), is easily killed by STAB Earthquake, and I doubt Aqua Jet will be doing too much in return.

Thank you, both of you, for your rates.

Yeah, Lucario can be a really massive prick to this team. With Crunch, Ice Punch, and Close Combat, he's taking out a decent amount of my team. Of course, he can't run Crunch and Ice Punch, unless he's sacrificing Swords Dance or ExtremeSpeed, so that gives me a bit of leeway there. Dragon Dance Tyranitar is always checked by Choice Scarf Scizor, which is always a nice surprise for my opponent. They expect a Bullet Punch (which will be weakened by their Babiri Berry), then get OHKO'd by Superpower, after being out-sped. It's also a valuable weapon against Celebi using Leaf Storm.
To you, I say Agility Lucario.

Also, a suggestion on Jirachi: Protect/U-turn. Protect can waste Rain Dance turns (lol, U-turns) and scouts, just in a different way. Besides, there's the tried and true "flinching the Magnezone to death" strategy, eh?

To you, I say Agility Lucario.

Also, a suggestion on Jirachi: Protect/U-turn. Protect can waste Rain Dance turns (lol, U-turns) and scouts, just in a different way. Besides, there's the tried and true "flinching the Magnezone to death" strategy, eh?

Flinching Magnezone to death...don't knock it till you've tried it
(and had it succeed). Protect can waste Rain Dance turns, and give me the turn for Wish, so I'll try it out.

Also, sadly Agility Lucario is still being seen as a gimmick by too many people. I don't see it as a
major threat, but that's because it really lacks the sheer power and dominance that Swords Dance Lucario brought to the table of OU battling years ago.

Super Mario Bro

All we ever look for
I have a really hard time discovering why you are using that Salamence set. A +1 Outrage with max Atk EVs hits every Pokemon in the game harder than a Max SpA Draco Meteor, except Hippowdon and a couple of other Dedicated Physical Walls. Draco Meteor has the benefit of not locking yourself into Outrage, but at the cost of what? You are still not able to OHKO most Swampert and Hippowdon with Draco Meteor. Your Outrage isn't nearly as strong either.

All in all, it is much better to just use the standard DD set, but if you want to be creative, how about a Lum Berry Dragon Dance set?:

Salamence @ Lum Berry
Jolly Nature
EVs: 80 HP/176 Atk/252 Spe
-Dragon Dance
-Outrage
-Earthquake
-Flamethrower

This Salamence set has really grown on me because you can set up on a Jirachi/Celebi trying to Thunder Wave you, a Vaporeon trying to Toxic you, etc. You don't really need a Naive Nature, as Flamethrower can OHKO Scizor after Stealth Rock. You can add SpA EVs if you want to guarantee the 2HKO on Skarmory, but your team already handles him very well.

I am mainly suggesting this set because I hate Life Orb. Wish alleviates Life Orb somewhat, but the extra power is not worth it when Pokemon can constantly switch around to drain out your life.

I have a really hard time discovering why you are using that Salamence set. A +1 Outrage with max Atk EVs hits every Pokemon in the game harder than a Max SpA Draco Meteor, except Hippowdon and a couple of other Dedicated Physical Walls. Draco Meteor has the benefit of not locking yourself into Outrage, but at the cost of what? You are still not able to OHKO most Swampert and Hippowdon with Draco Meteor. Your Outrage isn't nearly as strong either.

All in all, it is much better to just use the standard DD set, but if you want to be creative, how about a Lum Berry Dragon Dance set?:

Salamence @ Lum Berry
Jolly Nature
EVs: 80 HP/176 Atk/252 Spe
-Dragon Dance
-Outrage
-Earthquake
-Flamethrower

This Salamence set has really grown on me because you can set up on a Jirachi/Celebi trying to Thunder Wave you, a Vaporeon trying to Toxic you, etc. You don't really need a Naive Nature, as Flamethrower can OHKO Scizor after Stealth Rock. You can add SpA EVs if you want to guarantee the 2HKO on Skarmory, but your team already handles him very well.

I am mainly suggesting this set because I hate Life Orb. Wish alleviates Life Orb somewhat, but the extra power is not worth it when Pokemon can constantly switch around to drain out your life.
That's actually a pretty interesting Salamence set. I'll have to try it out, after I'm done testing out both MixMence sets.

Though, most of the time, if Jirachi is directly switching into Salamence, it's because it has a Choice Scarf, and is going to Ice Punch you to hell.

Thanks for the advice.

how do you make such good teams?

I go through what everyone else goes through when they make a team. I find a Pokemon, or two, or even three, and I start building around that. I look for resistances and weaknesses, useful abilities, and I'm constantly looking at statistics on Stark Mountain. I'm also always reading the sets on Corrections & Contributions, looking for something new and unexpected.

If you're talking about my RMTs, that just comes naturally. I use LonelyNess' format, but I added a few of my own little parts, such as the typing bars. The themes that I use for my RMTs, that comes after building my team. It's mostly based on a video game, or music.

I hope that was helpful.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)