Other OU Teambuilding Competition V5 (Round 7: Voting)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Puralux is the winner with team 4. congratz! team will be archived soonish

next round we're gonna go with something many old gen players will probably recognize

+

Celebi + Heatran

classic celetran core that is pretty legit in the meta right now. have fun with the sets, as there are no restrictions. be creative, and have fun.

since this new longer building period seemed to work, the deadline is friday.

ALSO, PLEASE TITLE YOUR PMS "TEAMBUILDING COMPETITION ROUND [#]" It makes it a lot easier to find the teams and lessens the chance that Ill miss it by accident. good luck!

Last edited:

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Lost power. The power company said that they're working on it, but most likely won't get it back up for another 8 hours or so because some dude who doesn't know how to drive hit a transformer. As such, the round will be delayed until I get access to a computer. Sorry bout this :s

Clone

Free Gliscor

Explanation:
I wanted to stay away from the conventional Celebi sets, so I decided to use physical Celebi and build a hyper offense team since it has a decent physical movepool and basically is a bulkier Bisharp with 25 less attack. Focus Sash Heatran is this team's dedicated lead, setting rocks and scaring away most pokemon who want to lay rocks of their own or clear my rocks. Sharpedo is this team's Mega and can apply a lot of pressure with Speed Boost. It also can switch in after a fire or ice type knocks out Celebi and get a free speed boost. Thunderous gives this team some special presence and a fast volt-switcher. Scizor gives this team much needed, reliable priority and a slow U- turner. Lastly, Staraptor knocks out destroys walls that want to set up on this team. (mainly Mega-Sableye: 252+ Atk Reckless Staraptor Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Sableye: 151-178 (49.6 - 58.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock; Lum Berry keeps Staraptor from getting burned)

Importable:
Rootz (Celebi) @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Seed Bomb
- Zen Headbutt

Hot Potato (Heatran) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Lava Plume
- Flash Cannon

Purple SWAG (Sharpedo) @ Sharpedonite
Ability: Speed Boost
Shiny: Yes
Adamant Nature
- Protect
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Ice Fang

Face da THUNDER (Thundurus-Therian) (M) @ Expert Belt
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Scizzors (Scizor) @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite
- U-turn

Starz (Staraptor) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Reckless
Adamant Nature
- Agility
- Close Combat
- Brave Bird
- Double-Edge

Celebi @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 72 Def / 164 SpD / 20 Spe
Calm Nature
- Recover
- Earth Power
- Giga Drain
- Thunder Wave

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 12 SpD / 244 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Lava Plume
- Taunt
- Toxic

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 200 SpD / 64 Spe
Careful Nature
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Earthquake
- Knock Off

Altaria @ Altarianite
EVs: 248 HP / 4 Atk / 104 Def / 152 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Roost
- Hyper Voice
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge
- Ice Beam

Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA
- Scald
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Hidden Power [Electric]

The Celebi + Heatran core fits perfectly the mold of the kind of teams I like to run, and that are very popular and effective both on the ladder and in high-level tournament play at the moment. However, because of the popularity of these bulky balanced teams with FWG cores, there has been an increase in pokemon to counteract this. Gengar, Charizard-Y, Thundurus and Diancie have seen a spike in usage recently. This team tries to deal with most of these hard hitters while keeping speed and a decent matchup against stall. Celebi has thunder wave to slow down metagross and cripple common switchins. Furthermore it can dent them on the switchin with earth power, easing matchups against balance because opposing heatran's sr setting abilities are limited. Its EV spread allows it to beat diancie and take on the lati@s twins easier. Heatran's set is standard. Max hp allows it to eat up dragon moves, to set up stealth rock reliably and to have some staying power against talonflame or even bulky waters to wear them down ; 244 speed outspeeds jolly 3 attacks mega scizor, a huge threat to many balance teams. Taunt toxic are the moves of choice to annoy fat pokemon like chansey but it also beats recover lati@s 100% of the time, barring maybe calm mind variants. Lava plume for tyranitar switchins and because it's a reliable stab which cripples switchins. Stealth Rock is the best move in the game, dealing up (and not limited) to 200% damage to the opposing team during a game.
This team ended up using the core of Altaria and Gliscor because it is awesome at checking dangerous threats. Gliscor beats non HP Ice Gengar and Landorus-I, offers another Mega-Diancie check, and sets up on a huge number stall pokemon, making it a very threatening pokemon to slow-paced teams, which struggle to overcome it's amazing passive recovery and status immunity. Altaria, with the Given spread, can switch in on Lopunny, M-Gallade and Charizard-y once it has mega evolved. The 3 attacks roost set is used to pressure Ferrotran balance builds in particular, and also because heal bell + Gliscor is not a thing, and I don't have enough hazards on the team to make good use of a phazing move. It provides a keldeo check that can't be trapped, which is also pretty invaluable in the meta right now.
The last two pokemon might not be the most fitting ones; however, the mindset I had when adding them was the following. Scarfed Tyranitar provides a pursuit trapper for Keldeo, deters Charizard-y from going for anything else than Focus Blast. It is a very good Talonflame check (taunt will-o or sd acrobatics variants put in a ton of work against this team otherwise). It is a decent revenge killer which provides weather control as well. Keldeo is scarfed too to alleviate the Mega-Lopunny (and fast megas in general) issue.

Massive threats to this team include Mega-Metagross, whichb I really hope gets banned, Gardevoir-M (Twave Sdef Celebi and ScarfTar pursuiting it are decent options to deal with it), and most importantly ice attackers with ground coverage, these being Mamoswine and Kyurem-B : while Ttar soft checks the latter which can also get pressured by stealth rock, a well played LO mamoswine can absolutely crush this build. Tornadus-T appears to be threatenint too when looking at the team, actually.

Celetran: the tried-and-true defensive core we all know and love. I built and tested many teams with the core but none of them quite clicked for me. So the teams were scrapped and I started anew. I knew for certain that I wanted to use Landorus because it is really hot atm, being able to stallbreak, wallbreak, and sweep, so this monster had a guaranteed spot on the team next to CeleTran. What makes Landorus hot besides it 1-2HKOing most things in the tier is Rock Polish. RP turns Lando into an amazing win con/sweeper that is really hard to stop once checks have been weakened, and this is the set I chose to run. This week's core is great with Lando for their ability to take on the Latis and priority users such as Scizor and Azumarill while synergizing nicely with the genie. This is how I started off the team.

Going from there, I figured Toxic Spikes would be really great with Landorus due to its wearing down of checks + other bulkier 'mons. For that, Tentacruel found its way on the team. Tenta gives the team a solid switch in to Gengar and Zard Y as well as hazard removal and toxic spikes support. Next up, I needed Stealth Rock and I didn't want to put it on CeleTran so the hunt for a good rocker began. Fast-forward past the hunt; Hippowdon did so much in one slot on top of setting rocks, which got it a spot on the team. Finally, my team at this point lacked a Mega and though Megas aren't necessary, I prefer having one on deck. I opted for Mega Lopunny because it gives the team much needed speed as well as a great answer to offensive teams. Before concluding, I will briefly go over the sets.

Celebi is SDef to shut down Keldeo and to take on the Latis as well as check M-Diancie. It carries Healing Wish to revive either a near-dead Lopunny or Landorus, letting them punch holes in the opposing team. For Heatran, I went for a Magma Storm-Taunt set to get rid of fairies and Chansey, which annoy Lopunny and Landorus, respectively. Tran also disrupts Stall cores for the team. Tentacruel runs Toxic in addition to Toxic Spikes to catch airborn 'mons like the Latis and Zapdos. Went for Fake Out + Power-up-Punch on MLop due to it being quite potent vs more offensive builds while working extremely well with the Toxic Spikes. That is the team in a nutshell.

Landorus (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Modest Nature
- Rock Polish
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Slack Off

Lopunny @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Power-Up Punch
- Return
- High Jump Kick

Heatran @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Taunt
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Toxic

Tentacruel @ Leftovers
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 252 HP / 120 Def / 136 SpD
Calm Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Toxic
- Rapid Spin
- Scald

Celebi @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 148 SpD / 108 Spe
Calm Nature
- Baton Pass
- Giga Drain
- Healing Wish
- Recover

This Celebi Semistall/Balanced uses all type of hazards to make pressure to the opponent with forceswitching and then using Landorus-T and Mega Lopunny to sweep. This Celebi is a non-baton pass version since Landorus-T and Mega Lopunny doesn't need to sweep the opponent with boosts, because there are the hazards who can help them; It's also made suitably to force the opponent to Switch, making him more vulnerable with hazards. It uses Earth Power to lure Heatran and Bisharp, that can switch into Celebi, and Leech seed to force switching. This Heatran is a fast setter that uses taunt to gain more stallbreaking power, and outspeeds some threats, like jolly bisharp, and has evs specially made for him; Without this evs Bisharp would probably smash this team. Skarmory is the Spikes setter who has 29 ivs in speed to make him less quick than -2 speed Mega Metagross (after 2 hammer arms) for roosting one time plus, and then having more chance to setup. It uses whirlwind to stop mons that can boost or to make the opponent switch. Tentacruel is the spinner, since defog would be pretty useless in this team, and is the toxic spikes setter which makes further pressure to the opponent. Acid spray helps to force switching Clefable, Slowbro, Celebi, Manaphy (Without Psychic) and maybe other pokemons, who otherwise would win with the boosts or PPstall Tentacruel. Landorus-T helps vs Volturns that would destroy this team without it, and with Mega Lopunny is used to revenge kill, or to sweep with hazards's help.

Celebi @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 160 SpD / 16 Spe
Calm Nature
- Earth Power
- Leech Seed
- Giga Drain
- Recover

Heatran @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 60 Def / 200 Spe
Timid Nature
- Lava Plume
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Earth Power

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
IVs: 29 Spe
- Brave Bird
- Whirlwind
- Spikes
- Roost

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 252 HP / 88 SpD / 168 Spe
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Acid Spray
- Toxic Spikes

Lopunny @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
Happiness: 0
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Frustration
- Ice Punch
- Fake Out

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Superpower

Heatran (M) @ Air Balloon
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Taunt

Celebi @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 84 Def / 64 SpA / 108 Spe
Bold Nature
- Substitute
- Giga Drain
- Recover
- Baton Pass

Hawlucha (F) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 44 HP / 248 Atk / 216 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- High Jump Kick
- Acrobatics

Gardevoir (M) @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 24 Def / 232 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Will-O-Wisp

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 24 Def / 232 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 212 Def / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Pain Split
- Will-O-Wisp

Celetran is an interesting core with really good defensive synergy, although I would like to also explore their offensive and supporting potential. I wanted to try Magma Storm+Taunt Heatran because the ladder is infested with stall especially on the higher ladder, hence Heatran could serve as an effective stallbreaker. Furthermore, Magma Storm does enough damage to prevent MSableye from coming in to bounce SR, and this gives me a lot of breathing space when dealing with stall as I can usually have SR up on my opponent's side, yet Taunt prevents stall from setting up their own. Trapping and killing Chansey is also a huge boon for my team, as it prevents Chansey from taking advantage of Celebi and recovering back its health or passing the team wishes. I chose Hawlucha as the next member as Celebi loves having a pokemon that can take advantage of Bisharp and Tyranitar, and behind the protection of sub, Hawlucha transforms into an enormous threat against offense. Next, I realised I can't rely on Hawlucha to serve as the team's revenge-killer, so I chose Scarf Landorus-T. Can't go wrong slapping a Rotom-W on the team as well to form the infamous LandTom-W core n_N; Finally, with I realised that with three pokemon with pivot moves, I could use a very strong nuke to take full advantage of free switch-ins. I chose MGardevoir as my nuke and it also gives me an extra insurance vs stall. Double Wisp from MGardevoir and Rotom-W+Taunt from Heatran which matches up amazingly vs stall's common Heal Bell users make stall an almost auto-win match-up should I play my cards right.

replays: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/oususpecttest-210038530

When I looked at the core of this week it reminded me of an old team that abused nasty pass Celebi, so I decided to make one too. Defensive Celebi is very good because it eats up hits and defeats regular Mega–Lopunny. Fast trapper heatran is there for things like Chansey and mew. Also Protect and will-o-wisp are to scout Scarf Landorus-T and burn the swichts. Keldeo is an excellent partner for the core, since he defeats scizor and Bisharp for celebi and scares ground types for Heatran; besides, no one wants to face a +2 Keldeo (Unless your name is Slowking or Jellicent). The next one was Mega-Manectric because I had nothing to beat bird spam and also because is very strong at +2 too. The Lati -twins were a problem for Keldeo and Manectric,so i decided to add Tyranitar to the team to pursuit trap them. +236 attack always kills bulky defog latias on switch and max HP ensures to live scarf Landorus-t earthquake and kill him with Ice Beam, also he gave me a second bird check and stealth rock support. Finally I needed defog support for Mega–Manectric and a switch-in for Mega-Metagross and Mega-Gallade which Mandibuzz provides me. Besides, I´ve always wanted to use her.

Some last words: Maybe this is not the best team of this week, but I encourage you to try it. It's really fun to play with:]

Celebi @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 168 Def / 76 SpD / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Nasty Plot
- Baton Pass
- Recover

Heatran @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 4 Def / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Taunt
- Protect
- Will-O-Wisp

Keldeo-Resolute @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Icy Wind

Manectric @ Manectite
Ability: Lightning Rod
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 236 Atk / 24 SpA
Brave Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge
- Ice Beam

Mandibuzz (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 136 Def / 108 SpD / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Foul Play
- Roost
- Defog
- Toxic

Importable:
Heatran @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 20 SpD / 236 Spe
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Protect
- Magma Storm
- Toxic

Celebi @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 86 Def / 172 Spe
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Calm Mind
- Baton Pass
- Recover

Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Hidden Power [Electric]

Landorus @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Timid Nature
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Rock Polish

Metagross-Mega @ Metagrossite
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Grass Knot
- Pursuit

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off

Explination:
I didn't want to build a (semi)stall team with the CeleTran core since ORAS is filled with stale ass fat teams as it is. So I decided to take a more unconventional route and went with CM BP Celebi and trapping Heatran. They still form a very good core together with Heatran trapping fat mons like Chansey and Cress, as well supporting Celebi setting up by outspeeding even max speed M-Scizor and Jolly Bisharp, and taking them out so Celebi's recipient doesn't have to deal with said fatness or get their item Knocked Off. I decided to go with Calm Mind Celebi over Nasty Plot since I figured you could just keep getting more and more boosts safely against Special attackers, plus CM Celebi beats SubCM Keldeo, CroBro, and Crocune pretty handily, while outspeeding Clefable and M-Sableye (no Snarl plz) so you can pass to Lando-I and Keldeo to beat them respectively. It also can fare well against TG Manaphy if they don't run Ice Beam (which none of them do). Celebi has enough speed to outspeed max speed Heatran and BP out before it can Taunt. The rest is then dumped into HP and physical Defense to check Azu and have great mixed bulk once you start to Calm Mind up.

Since I already spoke on the recipients a little, I'll fully state why I chose them specifically. Scarf Keldeo came to mind since it outspeeds every Scarfer in the tier barring the Latis (which rarely run Scarfs anymore since the M-Mence ban), has great dual STAB for cleaning up late game with at least neutral coverage, it can hit on both sides to beat AV users, and the only priority it's weak to is Talonflame's Brave Bird and M-Pinsir's Quick Attack. Next it went with Landorus-I since it already is amazing at cleaning up late game with Rock Polish as it is, so passing CMs to it is just a one-two punch. It can't be T-Waved, sits in a fairly good speed tier, is powerful as fuck as it is, has decent bulk, and is only weak to Aqua Jet and Ice Shard priority (the latter being very rare in the current metagame) and it has a wide variety of coverage moves on it that can cater to the rest of the team nicely. They both fare well against virtually every playstyle and can beat each others checks/counters very reliably.

I chose HP Electric so Keldeo can hit Slowbro and Tentacruel for good damage. I considered other coverage options like HP Bug, Ghost, or Flying, but Landorus beats a majority of the mons hit by those coverage moves as it is, but can't switch into Tentacruel and Slowbro, so it seemed the most beneficial. I opted to go with Timid Lando-I over Modest since i wanted to be able to outspeed Zard Y, which is pretty annoying for the team to deal with otherwise. HP Ice is for SpDef Gliscor and opposing Landorus forms, Sludge Wave is for decent neutral coverage and for hitting Unaware Clef, and Earth Power is just mandatory STAB.

My two CM recipients were both weak to the Latis, so I opted to use my mega slot for arguably the most well-rounded Mega in OU right now: Mega Metagross. It Pursuit traps Latis and opposing Celebi, beats practically every Fairy in the tier, and lures it fat Waters like Slowbro and Seismitoad, and removes them for Keldeo to be able to spam Scald late game freely (it's pretty funny when you Grass Knot a Slowbro on the switch-in when it's low, and then Pursuit trap it as it tries to switch). It also beats the only two viable Unaware users in the tier in Clefable and Quagsire, that way any CM boosts won't be in vain. I decided not to go for Hammer Arm since Heatran counters Ferrothorn and Skarm already, plus i have Keldeo and Hippowdon for Bisharp. Hippowdon was added as a Bisharp check so Keldeo doesn't lose its Scarf to a Knock Off, it also checks Talon, fast electrics like Megaman, Scarf Magnezone, Thund, and Raikou, checks Megagross that don't have Grass Knot, and M-Lopunny, Mega Beedrill, Sand Rush Exca, and it gets up rocks. Sand Stream > Sand Force is to help break potential Sashes even if Rocks don't go up, and to stop Rain and end Zard Y's Sun. Plus any chip damage is good when you're trying to sweep in one go, and can move damage rolls in your favor.

---

Voting will end on Tuesday. Good luck to everyone who submitted a team! if yours isnt here, its because you didnt follow the rules when submitting it.

Timid is a good option as you can outspeed pokemon like Jolly Excadrill and Kyurem-B and speed-tie with Zard-Y. In the analysis Timid it a slashed option with Modest so it is perfectly viable
Yeah I guess it's okay, but everyone on his team bar Lando-T and hawlucha is walled by chansey pretty much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)