Project OU Teambuilding Competition V7 (Round 6: Building)

Status
Not open for further replies.

p2

Banned deucer.
Team 9

Doesn't seem to have any glaring weaknesses and Seismitoad is god on Sand teams

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Nuanda92 won this round with team 1. The runner-up was me, with team 8. Gratz to both! The winning team will be put in the HoF relatively soon.

New core:

+

Stuff that stops Zard X from sweeping is handles by Serperior quite well. Examples include slowbro, hippowdon, and quagsire. Similarly, Zard x doesn't care about the steel and fire types that bug Serperior.

Deadline for team submission will be Friday night. Please pm them to me and follow the format outlined in the OP. Thanks.

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
sorry for the delay. i was hoping and praying that ArchPhantom would make an entry last minute, but alas, it was not the case.

Explanation:

I started from Char-X + Serperior as intended, I decided to use a standard set on Charizard with Jolly nature to outspeed Jolly scarf Lando-T that could have been a problem for the core; I used the Coba Berry set on Serperior because I felt a bit worry for Talonflame that could easily stop CharX sweep after some recoils from Flare Blitz, while Serperior can easily bait it. Manaphy helps me a lot against Heatran, that really hurts the initial core, and complete the FWG core, I choose Manaphy instead of things like Starmie because I really like the enormous offensive pressure that it can bring, I preferred HP fire over Energy Ball because is really unexpected on this team, and Ferrothorn was a issue even with CharX. Bulky Chomp is the setter choice, this thing is really fat and helps me against a lot of things (firstly Lopunny/Metagross/Talonflame and Heatran), also with Toxic I can easily cripple bulkymons like Slowbro or Hippowdon facilitating the CharX sweep. Skarmory is my Hazard remover choice, it helps me against Latwins and is my only immunity to ground. I thought that I had some problems with Keldeo, also I think that TS support was pretty nice for my team, so I added Dragalge, the 40 evs in speed are necessary to outspeed all Hippowdons, while Focus Blast helps me to do several damage to mons that loves to switch into Dragalge, like Heatran or Ferrothorn.

Importable:

Charizard-Mega-X @ Charizardite X
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Flare Blitz
- Roost

Serperior @ Coba Berry
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power [Rock]
- Glare

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 248 HP / 164 Def / 76 SpD / 20 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic

Manaphy @ Wacan Berry
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 96 HP / 252 SpA / 160 Spe
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Scald
- Tail Glow

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 232 SpD / 24 Spe
Careful Nature
- Defog
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Whirlwind

Dragalge @ Draco Plate
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 216 HP / 252 SpA / 40 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Sludge Bomb
- Toxic Spikes
- Focus Blast

So of course I started with the core given deciding to make Zard X a DD roost set with enought evs to outspeed Scarf Lando-t after DD and ohko with Flare Blitz after a DD. The EVs also help take Rotom's hydro. On serperior i decided to run the standard LO set with HP ground for heatran in order to remove it to let Zard sweep. :] Glare is used bc being able to paralyze talonflame and tornadus is nice. But if you want to use taunt go ahead. Offensive Starmie was added to remove rocks and be able to switch into heatran. It also really helps crush frail offensive teams. At this point i was weak to birds and bisharp and lando-t could be annoying so i tried fatchomp. Clef was added as a switch into the ever present latios/weavile and also helps against kyurem which is disgusting. It also gives the team a nice win con that BS's its way through half the meta. The last slot was the hardest I needed something for fairies and bisharp still seemed annoying. I was inspired by a post to run lure rachi. Initially I had spdef skarm but i really like lure rachi. The evs allow it to outspeed jolly sharp and ohko it after rocks with drain punch. The EVs also 2hko defensive lando-t after rocks with icy wind. Rest of the EVs dumped into spdef to comfortably take hyper voice and focus blasts from gard. Shuca is to beat mega diancie and fatchomp and lando in general, and twave of course bc of para flinch. That's the team pretty, solid overall! Give it a shot! :]

EVs: 104 HP / 220 Atk / 184 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Roost
- Dragon Claw
- Flare Blitz

Serperior @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Glare

Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Analytic
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Psyshock
- Rapid Spin

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 164 Def / 76 SpD / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
- Fire Blast

Jirachi @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 168 Atk / 32 SpA / 200 SpD / 108 Spe
Careful Nature
IVs: 30 SpA / 30 SpD
- Thunder Wave
- Icy Wind
- Iron Head
- Drain Punch

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Thunder Wave

The past members were Skarmory and Heatran over Excadrill and Hippowdon, but i realized that this weather core could cover more threats. I created also a volturn core to keep momentum, with Torn-t and Rotom-w. Serperior's taunt prevents to be setup fodder for Ferrothorn and Chansey, especially ferrothorn which is now a wall for serperior as it uses Hidden Power Ground instead of Fire, and for general stallbreaking. Now they become setup fodders for Charizard thanks to this move. Standard Semi-Bulky Jolly DD Charizard-x, now with enough evs to outspeed Mega Alakazam and Mega Aerodactyl at +1, instead of the 184 used for Landorus-therian in his prime. Excadrill helps against the fairies, which terrorized the team at first, and can save the team from being swept by sweepers boosted in speed, instead of using Thunder wave rotom-w which covered less compared to this strategy. Tornadus-T, and especially Rotom-w helps me to maintain the momentum in my side. Last, Hippowdon is my main check to Bisharp, Mega Charizard X and Mega Lopunny, and gives more sand for Exca. In my personal opinion, Sand Rush Excadrill without a smooth rock user loses momentum faster, and it would be a waste of slot.

Notice also that 4 Speed evs in Hippo that i left for speed creep other Hippos as you never know, it can happen that you're in a situation where he is weakened.

Serperior @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Taunt
- Dragon Pulse

EVs: 136 HP / 248 Atk / 124 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Claw
- Roost

Excadrill @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide

Tornadus-Therian (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 104 HP / 152 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Heat Wave

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 212 Def / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Pain Split

Hippowdon @ Smooth Rock
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 136 Def / 116 SpD / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Slack Off

hola. fast explanation here i wanted to build around sdtw zard, went to set, they suggested HO build. azelf + bisharp went on pretty much automatically, bisharp also helps trap lati for zard. starmie spins, and has hp fire because i trap latis, and zard got para-ed once by a twave ferro zzz...though i suppose it is often best to just go to it anyway. thundurus provides twave and speed control. everything's fairly standard. still weak to noivern sorry no innovation but i dont think that innovation is the point of this competition anyway. possible changes include a bulkier spread on bisharp or sd over pursuit, and taunt/glare on serp, (thanks tnt) but when i was trying it out heatran was still a little problematic sometimes. i really really wanted to use glare but i couldn't justify it with better results.

EVs: 56 HP / 252 Atk / 200 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Claw
- Tailwind

Serperior @ Miracle Seed
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Giga Drain

Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Analytic
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Hydro Pump
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Rapid Spin

Bisharp @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Pursuit
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch

Azelf @ Focus Sash
EVs: 196 Atk / 60 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Blast
- Taunt
- Explosion

Thundurus (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Focus Blast

rip no sprites

Sauron (Charizard) @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
Shiny: Yes
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Claw
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake

Kaa (Serperior) @ Expert Belt
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Taunt

Super Sentai (Bisharp) @ Black Glasses
Ability: Defiant
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit

Best Friend (Latias) (F) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Healing Wish

Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Hidden Power [Electric]

Air Force 1 (Skarmory) @ Custap Berry
Ability: Sturdy
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Brave Bird

Ok so I wanted to go with an offensive team as zard X + serperior are incredible offensive monsters.
I chose custap berry skarm as a suicide lead, as it has access to rocks + spikes, which offensive teams do like. Taunt to prevent other rockers such as ferros, hippos and those slow bulky chomps everyone seem to have on their team.
Zard X does great with skarm lead against mega sableye. It absorbs taunt/wow and have a big damage on something on the switch (3 attacks dragon/fire/ground is perfect coverage). Jolly nature to outspeeds scarf landos which would want to prevent zard from sweeping late game.
Speaking of sweeping, I added a healing wish latias to give another life to zard X or serperior, which allows to play more recklessly to make holes in opponent's team, without having to switch your zard X in front of a klefki, fearing a twave.
Hidden power fire Serperior for coverage, we don't need HP ground that much as we have a zard and a keldeo. Taunt is to shut down stall teams once skarm is gone.
As we were weak to bisharp (who is not?) I added a keldeo for the beautiful water spam and be this lucky guy fishing for burns with scald on the switch. Choice scarf for speed control and to have a way to deal better with mega loppuny which otherwise is an incredible threat (its a pain for offensive teams). HP Elec for gyarados/mega gyara who can set up on bisharp or latias after a special attack drop.
Last but not least is this old good bisharp to trap those lati@s and psychic types which would be otherwise annoying, enabling keldeo to do some work. Bisharp is great because the combo of rocks + spikes mean the opponent has to defog (guess what? Bisharp likes it) if he does not want to be beaten by my set up monsters. It also adds priority for the team.

When building around Charizard X and Serperior, I wanted a Water-type of sorts that's a good answer to a lot of top threats, such as Weavile, Bisharp, and most notably Heatran, which can give the core some trouble, so Keldeo was a good fit. I went with Choice Specs mostly for the wall breaking power, so Charizard and Serperior can easily clean late-game. Next I wanted a Pokemon that could be an answer to both Lati@s and Tornadus-T so I went with Weavile, because it covers many threats to offensive teams as well. Pursuit was chosen to ensure I take down problematic Pokemon, such as Starmie and Lati@s. Next I noticed that my team had a serious weakness to Mega Altaria, so I chose Jirachi because it fares well against most variants and is my team's Stealth Rock user. Healing Wish is also another helpful asset to the team, should any of my Pokemon get weakened. Lastly, this team had a huge weakness to Swords Dance Talonflame and still needed hazard control so Zapdos was the perfect fit. The 36 Special Attack EVs are to ensure that Zapdos OHKOs Talonflame from full with Thunderbolt. Even if it isn't a likely scenario, the investment is generally worth it.

Charizard (M) @ Charizardite X
EVs: 104 HP / 220 Atk / 184 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Flare Blitz
- Roost

Serperior (F) @ Miracle Seed
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Substitute

Keldeo (Keldeo-Resolute) @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Icy Wind

Weavile (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Pickpocket
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard

Jirachi @ Leftovers
EVs: 216 HP / 96 Atk / 196 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Body Slam
- Stealth Rock
- Healing Wish

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 208 Def / 36 SpA / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Heat Wave
- Defog
- Roost

This team is a potent, volatile offensive team that is focused on removing checks to the original core of Zard X+Serperior while keeping the opposing team at bay before setting up and running through the opposing team. First off in the interests of freeing up moveslots on Zard and Serp I added the lordiest Jirachi set of all time that was lovingly crafted by none other than ShootingStarmie: Natural Gift+Apicot Berry Jirachi. For those who don't know, Apicot Berry makes Natural Gift a 100 BP Ground move, allowing Jirachi to effortlessly remove Heatran and usefully hurt/kill Bisharp, Magnezone and other steels Jirachi previously couldn't touch. What this does is it allows Zard to run roost for longevity and Serperior to run HP Fire to become more self-sufficient. I also love my opponent's reaction when their Heatran gets bopped. Next I had to fullfill 'using Charizard 101': Always, always, ALWAYS have a hazard remover. I tested a number of hazard removers in this slot but in the end it became a toss up between Roost Latias, HW Latias or Memento Latios. In the end I went with Memento Latios because of its ability to create easy set-up opportunities which I valued slightly over the longevity of Roost or the second chance of Healing Wish though if you are going to use this team you can change to either depending on your personal preference. After adding Latios I was starting to stack a Dark weakness and therefore a Bisharp and Weavile weakness. To help alleviate this I went with Specs Keldeo who is extremely valuable for the pressure he puts on the opposing team. It is also helpful as a poke that can both switch in and deal with Heatran. Finally, I needed rocks, I needed a blanket check to a vast array of threats to my team so who else is joining the team but Hippowdon? He provides me with a back-up Bisharp check, a much needed Talonflame check (hence max defence), a useful Excadrill check and a whole lot more. People are raving about this guy's defensive ability for a reason. Anyway, overall this team if quite efficient at acheiving its purpose but sometimes relies too much on Zard and Serp to get it over the line. Solid squad though.

Charizard (M) @ Charizardite X
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Flare Blitz
- Roost

Serperior (M) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Giga Drain
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Jirachi @ Apicot Berry
EVs: 128 HP / 208 Atk / 172 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Natural Gift
- Iron Head
- Thunder Wave
- U-turn

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Memento
- Defog

Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Hydro Pump
- Icy Wind

Hippowdon (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Force
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Slack Off
- Stealth Rock

voting ends in a week. good luck to all!

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Team 3 is really the only team I can pick for the fact it doesn't autolose to Zard-X 3 attacks set. Too lazy to really jump into specific rates right now but that's an enormous problem with all of these teams and some of the counter measures for certain things, such as Coba Berry Serperior on team 1, are cute until you realize it's a lot based on theorymon and luck for such a specific threat that doesn't exactly stop the team from succeeding as much as the builder is trying to state. I still think Air Balloon Exca should be considered for that team 3 considering it would improve your matchup against hazard teams tremendously thus maintaining rocks off the field for a longer period of time to succeed in both a Serp and or Char-X sweep.

MikeDawg

Banned deucer.
team 3

worth noting that it is one of the only ones that doesn't get massacred by late-game earthquake spam

Also, s/o to clone for being full badged and still doing things like this. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)