Other OU Teambuilding

Status
Not open for further replies.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I know there's considerable debate about which is best for Greninja out of Hydro Pump, Surf, and Scald, so the other two are probably worth a mention at least.
They're worth a mention, maybe, but not a slash. Greninja is already too weak, hell, it can't even OHKO SpD Hippowdon with Life Orb Hydro Pump. Let alone Scald or Surf.

252 SpA Life Orb Greninja Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Hippowdon: 351-416 (83.5 - 99%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

If you're going to mention them, also mention how weak Greninja is and that it needs absolutely all the power it can get.

They're worth a mention, maybe, but not a slash. Greninja is already too weak, hell, it can't even OHKO SpD Hippowdon with Life Orb Hydro Pump. Let alone Scald or Surf.

252 SpA Life Orb Greninja Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Hippowdon: 351-416 (83.5 - 99%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

If you're going to mention them, also mention how weak Greninja is and that it needs absolutely all the power it can get.
How is that ''weak''? Hippowdon is just bulky as hell, even life orb keldeo cant guarantee the OHKO with hydro pump. Base 103 with stab on everything and excellent coverage is pretty dam strong in my book. Greninja's only real flaw is that awful bulk.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
How is that ''weak''? Hippowdon is just bulky as hell, even life orb keldeo cant guarantee the OHKO with hydro pump. Base 103 with stab on everything and excellent coverage is pretty dam strong in my book. Greninja's only real flaw is that awful bulk.
Honestly, I would at least expect a chance to OHKO from Pokemon with base 103 SpA, paired with STAB, super-effective, Life Orb-boosted base 110 power move on a Pokemon with 108/72 special bulk. STAB on everything is good, yes, but base 103 is still below-average. I can't deny the neat coverage though.

I'm not claiming Greninja is terrible, it's a pretty sweet late-game cleaner and sweeper, but base 103 SpA is still not that great. I am claiming that Hydro Pump is far too good to replace with Surf or Scald though, Greninja needs all the power it could get.

Robqq

You could slash Expert Belt, as Greninja should mostly be hitting stuff for super effective damage. This also makes it easier for him to use U-Turn without being worn down.

I know there's considerable debate about which is best for Greninja out of Hydro Pump, Surf, and Scald, so the other two are probably worth a mention at least.
Added surf behind hydro pump. Scald is not a good move for greninja because it won't survive a physical attack, even if the opponents pokemon is burned.

It just doesn't have the bulk to gamble on status.

No one has done the single best wall in the metagame yet? Well, I'll definitely try to do him justice.

Use:

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 HP / 68 Def / 188 SDef
Relaxed Nature
- Synthesis
- Giga Drain
- Earthquake / Sludge Bomb
- Sleep Powder/ Roar / Leech Seed

Role: Mixed wall

What it does: With five resistances and only two weaknesses, there simply is not much that can threaten mega venusaur. His bulk in this set is near perfect balance, but is just ever so slightly favoring defense, giving genesect a +1 SpA boost (allows for heatran to take it better and vastly reduces the power of the band set). Venusaur quite simply switches into near everything and walls until a true counter with a flying or psychic attack is dropped in. It is hard to be specific about his walling capabilities when Venusaur can come into a match and possibly wall off four of the opponent's pokemon. He doesn't just have the option to pick and wall one or two of them; sometimes Venusaur can simply take all of them with a bit of support. This is his true power, and the reason he is the single best wall in the game. Venusaur is known to have millions of set options, so I did include a few slashes. Depending on what you need to take care of decides what Mega venusaur runs, and not only does he have the substantial bulk to wall almost everything, his move pool is diverse enough to disable nearly everything in the OU tier through support moves or his fair attack move pool.

Good Teammates: Venusaur-mega appreciates hazard clearers like skarm and mandibuzz, who can take the flying and/or psychic weaknesses adequately. Often times, hazards provide the best way to wear down Venusaur-mega, so having these clearers is a fantastic way to keep Venusaur switching in and out of attacks. Due to his limited supply of Synthesis, a wish passer like Sylveon and Chansey really help, and both have weaknesses that allow Venusaur to come in a bit easier. Lastly, Heatran Venusaur-mega cores wall off nearly the entire meta (bar Charizard-megas and Pinsir-mega and a few others) by themselves. Heatran is almost the ultimate teammate for Venusaur mega. Besides that, Venusaur is a pokemon that almost every pokemon in the meta benefits from HAVING as a teammate, bar redundancy.

What counters it: Depending on the set, Venusaur will have many different counters. For this set in particular, grass types provide a very safe switch in, but can do nothing back (Bar trevenant's curse and Mega Abomasnow's blizzard). However, sludge bomb sets don't mind either of these. With no Earthquake, Heatran provides an excellent counter but must be careful around Venusaur. Kyurem-Black, if not hit by sleep powder coming in, can sub up and abuse Terravolt. Pinsir-mega can come in safely mostly and threaten venusaur out, as can talonflame. Lastly, Alakazam, Lati@s, and Reuniculus can all predict a neutral/resisted hit or recovery turn and threaten Venusaur-mega out easily.
Any Addition info: In terms of walling power, Mega venusaur is absolutely unrivaled in the non-ubers metagame. The only flaw he has is his weakness to the double bird HO teams and his lack of 'reliable' recovery, both in quantity and sandstorm recovery. It is not hard to cover these flaws and take advantage of Venusaur-mega.

Added surf behind hydro pump. Scald is not a good move for greninja because it won't survive a physical attack, even if the opponents pokemon is burned.

It just doesn't have the bulk to gamble on status.
The idea of Scald on an offensive mon isn't specifically to burn something and survive a phyisical hit because of it. It's useful to randomly burn things on a switch, and the base power drop from Surf to Scald isn't exactly a deal-breaker in all cases. If you know your Greninja isn't gonna survive the turn you might as well fish for a burn, as well.

If the power drop isn't robbing you of OHKO's or important 2HKO's, Scald is superior over Surf. I don't know the calcs off of the top of my head though, so I can't say for sure.

Use : Bisharp

Bisharp @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Knock Off

Role : Wall Breaker. Also functions as a pseudo-Defog blocker.

What It Does: With the Knock Off buff in sixth gen, it is easily one of the best moves in the game,with Bisharp being one of the best abusers. Even if it won't kill, it will still dent nearly anything, as well crippling the target by removing its item. Using the sheer brunt force of Knock Off, Bisharp can easily destroy anything thats walling your main sweeper, or at the very least weakening it to the point where the sweeper is able to reliably take out its counter. Bisharp also has one of the most destructive Sucker Punches in the game, which is really good for taking out anything that out speeds you, and can be useful for setting up its own mini-sweep. Revenge killers, even fighting types that resist Sucker Punch, still get hurt very hard by a +2 Sucker Punch. Iron Head is great for destroying Fairies, as well as offering a nice second powerful STAB attack and a chance for flinching. It also functions as a defog Blocker, oftentimes your opponent is forced to make a crucial decision on whether to defog and potentially give you +2 if you switch in to Bisharp, or to just leave the hazards on the field.

Good Teammates: Deoxys-D or Deoxys-S are both wonderful teammates for Bisharp, as they provide the vital Deo-Sharp core that is widespread on many HO teams. Things that can handle Conkeldurr are very welcome, as Conkeldurr is perhaps one of the greatest banes to Bisharps existence, easily KO-ing with a Mach Punch, while taking minimal damage from a Sucker Punch. I personally use Mega-Pinsir, which can come in safely on anything not named Ice Punch or the rare occasional Poison Jab, and OHKO with Return.

What Counters It: Nothing really counters Bisharp, since everything fears losing an Item (besides Megas). However, even Megas don't want to take a STAB LO Knock Off from a Bisharp, which still packs a punch, boost or no boost. However, something that really does work well against this particular Bisharp set is Mega-Gyarados, without pre-MEvo Intimidate. Seeing as how Water-Dark resists Dark and Steel, Bisharp really can't do much to Gyarados, which can just KO with EQ. As mentioned before, Conkeldurr can easily beat Bisharp with Mach Punch.

If this anaylsis is not thorough enough, hopefully it is decent enough at least for someone else to pick up and finish.

Eh, I'll give it a shot

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off
- Whirlwind

Role: Physical Wall, Hazard Setter, Support (Phazing)

What it does: Although often forgotten due to his shabby looks, Hippowdon remains one of Overused's (And Underused for that matter) premier physical walls. The combination of reliable recovery in slack off and his superb base 108/118 defenses allow him to switch in on almost any unboosted neutral physical attack and go toe to toe with pretty much every physical attacker that he doesn't have a weakness to. Most physical attackers will struggle to deal more then half his health in an attack, which allows him to net health by using slack off. Hippowdon is also great at shutting down most common physical attackers that use stat boosts like Swords Dance thanks to whirlwind, which shuffles them back into their team. Thanks to how sturdy he is, he makes a great Stealth Rock setter, and his longevity thanks to slack off allows him to do it repeatedly even after they've been taken out by Defog or Rapid Spin. One glaring problem you might notice with this set is it's vulnerability to taunt and inability to hit flyers. Although flyers aren't usually too big a problem since many are physical and Hippowdon can just Whirlwind them out, taunt is definitely a threat to him. Lastly but certainly not least, Hippowdon's ability Sand Stream allows it to create sandstorms. Hippowdon's biggest advantage over Tyranitar in this role is his recovery move, which Tyranitar lacks, giving him the edge in being able to come in repeatedly and reset the storm.

Good Teammates: Anyone that appreciates a reliable hazard setter, phazer, and physical wall will enjoy Hippowdon on their team. As for pokemon that Hippo enjoys having on his team, most dragons, Grass types, and Water types make good partners since they're resistant to 2 of his 3 weaknesses. Kyurem-B gets an honorable mention by being neutral to Ice as well as resistant to his other 2 weaknesses. Most special walls that aren't weak to Ice, Grass, or Water generally also make good partners as Hippowdon isn't very tanky on the special side. Good special walls include Chansey, Blissey, Latias, and Sylveon. Additionally, Pokemon that can hit fliers are also useful, since Hippowdon can't hit them himself. Lastly, pokemon that interact well with sand, such as Excadrill, also will appreciate his ability to auto-create Sandstorms.

What Counters It: Taunters (Especially taunters that can fly or don't mind taking an earthquake) can stop most of Hippowdon's utility. A great example would be Thundurus, who is also immune to earthquake, although he needs a coverage move to actually hit Hippowdon in return. Flyers will be immune to any actual attack that Hippowdon can use, although they might find themselves vulnerable to stealth rock, which Hippowdon is likely going to be setting up. As is the case with most physical walls, Hippowdon is vulnerable to special attacks, especially ones that are super-effective against him. Especially good special attackers against him are Latios and Rotom-Wash, both of which take neutral damage from Stealth Rock and are immune to his only attacking move, earthquake. Lastly, although Hippowdon is great at wearing down physical attackers, he struggles to do enough damage to take out most walls with some form of recovery, even ones that are specially focused. Although he can whirlwind them away, their resilience to chip damage thanks to their recovery makes it near-impossible for him to kill them, and many walls carry toxic, a move that will eventually take out Hippowdon.

Feedback would be appreciated :)

Honestly, I would at least expect a chance to OHKO from Pokemon with base 103 SpA, paired with STAB, super-effective, Life Orb-boosted base 110 power move on a Pokemon with 108/72 special bulk. STAB on everything is good, yes, but base 103 is still below-average. I can't deny the neat coverage though.

I'm not claiming Greninja is terrible, it's a pretty sweet late-game cleaner and sweeper, but base 103 SpA is still not that great. I am claiming that Hydro Pump is far too good to replace with Surf or Scald though, Greninja needs all the power it could get.
Greninja can utilize power effectively, but ironically I run him with Expert Belt, Scald, Ice Beam, Dark Pulse and Hidden Power Steel.

Before you tell me I'm fucking crazy I would like to point out that this Greninja is great for catching fairies off guard, has more survival capability (Thanks to a "defensive mode" via Hidden Power) and Scald is great for applying burns which allow him to survive even easier.

It is all a matter of preference as to what you prefer your water attacks to do, all three are completely understandable for choosing, so long as it works well with your team synergy, in which case mine does.

Eh, I'll give it a shot

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off
- Whirlwind

Role: Physical Wall, Hazard Setter, Support (Phazing)

What it does: Although often forgotten due to his shabby looks, Hippowdon remains one of Overused's (And Underused for that matter) premier physical walls. The combination of reliable recovery in slack off and his superb base 108/118 defenses allow him to switch in on almost any unboosted neutral physical attack and go toe to toe with pretty much every physical attacker that he doesn't have a weakness to. Most physical attackers will struggle to deal more then half his health in an attack, which allows him to net health by using slack off. Hippowdon is also great at shutting down most common physical attackers that use stat boosts like Swords Dance thanks to whirlwind, which shuffles them back into their team. Thanks to how sturdy he is, he makes a great Stealth Rock setter, and his longevity thanks to slack off allows him to do it repeatedly even after they've been taken out by Defog or Rapid Spin. One glaring problem you might notice with this set is it's vulnerability to taunt and inability to hit flyers. Although flyers aren't usually too big a problem since many are physical and Hippowdon can just Whirlwind them out, taunt is definitely a threat to him. Lastly but certainly not least, Hippowdon's ability Sand Stream allows it to create sandstorms. Hippowdon's biggest advantage over Tyranitar in this role is his recovery move, which Tyranitar lacks, giving him the edge in being able to come in repeatedly and reset the storm.

Good Teammates: Anyone that appreciates a reliable hazard setter, phazer, and physical wall will enjoy Hippowdon on their team. As for pokemon that Hippo enjoys having on his team, most dragons, Grass types, and Water types make good partners since they're resistant to 2 of his 3 weaknesses. Kyurem-B gets an honorable mention by being neutral to Ice as well as resistant to his other 2 weaknesses. Most special walls that aren't weak to Ice, Grass, or Water generally also make good partners as Hippowdon isn't very tanky on the special side. Good special walls include Chansey, Blissey, Latias, and Sylveon. Additionally, Pokemon that can hit fliers are also useful, since Hippowdon can't hit them himself. Lastly, pokemon that interact well with sand, such as Excadrill, also will appreciate his ability to auto-create Sandstorms.

What Counters It: Taunters (Especially taunters that can fly or don't mind taking an earthquake) can stop most of Hippowdon's utility. A great example would be Thundurus, who is also immune to earthquake, although he needs a coverage move to actually hit Hippowdon in return. Flyers will be immune to any actual attack that Hippowdon can use, although they might find themselves vulnerable to stealth rock, which Hippowdon is likely going to be setting up. As is the case with most physical walls, Hippowdon is vulnerable to special attacks, especially ones that are super-effective against him. Especially good special attackers against him are Latios and Rotom-Wash, both of which take neutral damage from Stealth Rock and are immune to his only attacking move, earthquake. Lastly, although Hippowdon is great at wearing down physical attackers, he struggles to do enough damage to take out most walls with some form of recovery, even ones that are specially focused. Although he can whirlwind them away, their resilience to chip damage thanks to their recovery makes it near-impossible for him to kill them, and many walls carry toxic, a move that will eventually take out Hippowdon.

Feedback would be appreciated :)
Just a suggestion: Hippowdon in this meta has the defenses to shoulder taking a hit hit from mega pinsir and, with a decent moveset, can counter talonflame (through either toxic stall or rock slide). I suggest slashing one in whirlwind's spot. Whirlwind doesn't quite have the same importance that it had back in BW2 due to the lack of full hazard support and TF can still roost off the damage quite easily.

In this generation, it is occasionally better to consider Sand Force as the ability as well, when pairing up with Chansey/Venusaur (who instantly becomes a much better partner) and weather-dependent recovery pokemon (moonlight Unaware clefable, if you really wanted). Other than that, under counters you could have Latios/Hydregion w/LO Draco Meteor/surf which does about 70%. Levitating special attackers as a general rule of thumb will beat Hippowdon (making Jellicent/Sylveon a good teammate to absorb the special side).

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Do Not Use:

Florges (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flower Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Wish
- Protect
- Aromatherapy
- Moonblast

Role: Special Wall / Support

What it does: Florges is supposed to serve a specially defensive Pokemon/Pivot that sponges up pretty much any special hit and provides Wish/Aromatherapy support to itself and its teammates. Taking a look at Florges's stats and movepool, it doesn't seem like it'd be too bad at this job, but theres one thing holding Florges back from ever being a good option in OU: the existence of Sylveon. It might seem like Sylveon has lower stats all around, but taking a closer look you'll realize that Sylveon is pretty much the better option. Sylveon might have a slightly lower Special Attack stat than Florges, but because of Sylveon's hidden ability Pixilate, Sylveon's actually the one that does more damage, with Pixilate Hyper Voice doing a significant amount more than Florges's Moonblast while also completely ignoring substitutes from the likes of Kyurem-B, giving it a more significant offensive presence. Also, Florges's raw defensive stats might be higher than Sylveon's, but Sylveon's higher base HP stat pretty much balances this out, actually leaving Sylveon MORE physically bulky than Florges and only slightly less specially bulky. On top of this, Sylveon's higher base HP means that its wishes are a bit larger than wishes from Florges, making her the better cleric all around and leaving Florges in the dust, with pretty much no niche over the eevee evolution.

What Counters It: Strong Steel-types such as Genesect, Aegislash, Bisharp, Mega Mawile, Excadrill and Scizor are the most common checks to Florges. All of the above mentioned bar Bisharp take a pittance from any of Florges's attacks, and can prey on its weaker physical bulk in return with Iron Heads, Bullet Punches, and Play Roughs, easily either forcing out or KOing the wallflower before it can cause any trouble. Heatran takes literally absolutely nothing from Florges thanks to its 4x resistance to Fairy-type moves, but struggles to do much in return, although it can use Roar to shuffle around Florges's teammates a little bit and possibly mess up her Wish. Mega Venusaurr is a great way to stop Florges in her tracks too, once again taking pretty much nothing from a Moonblast and posing a threat with Sludge Bomb, recovering off all the damage Florges could possibly do with Synthesis. Outside of specialized checks, pretty much any physical attacker that's bulky enough to take a Moonblast or two while not having to rely on moves she resists can easily threaten Florges and force her out of the battlefield.

Any Additional Info: seriously why use this over sylveon

Last edited:
Do Not Use:

Florges (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flower Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Wish
- Protect
- Aromatherapy
- Moonblast

Role: Special Wall / Support

What it does: Florges is supposed to serve a specially defensive Pokemon/Pivot that sponges up pretty much any special hit and provides Wish/Aromatherapy support to itself and its teammates. Taking a look at Florges's stats and movepool, it doesn't seem like it'd be too bad at this job, but theres one thing holding Florges back from ever being a good option in OU: the existence of Sylveon. It might seem like Sylveon has lower stats all around, but taking a closer look you'll realize that Sylveon is pretty much the better option. Sylveon might have a slightly lower Special Attack stat than Florges, but because of Sylveon's hidden ability Pixilate, Sylveon's actually the one that does more damage, with Pixilate Hyper Voice doing a significant amount more than Florges's Moonblast while also completely ignoring substitutes from the likes of Kyurem-B, giving it a more significant offensive presence. Also, Florges's raw defensive stats might be higher than Sylveon's, but Sylveon's higher base HP stat pretty much balances this out, actually leaving Sylveon MORE physically bulky than Florges and only slightly less specially bulky. On top of this, Sylveon's higher base HP means that its wishes are a bit larger than wishes from Florges, making her the better cleric all around and leaving Florges in the dust, with pretty much no niche over the eevee evolution.

Good Teammates: Although there's pretty much no reason to use Florges over Sylveon at the moment, both of them find themselves most at home in teams such as Bulky Offense/Balance/Stall Their nifty fairy typing and absurd Special bulk is excellent for these kinds of teams and both Sylveon and Florges can play a part in keeping the team alive by providing Wish support to Pokemon that lack recovery, such as Heatran and Landorus-T, and by using Heal Bell/Aromatherapy to cure their teammates of pesky status problems such as Toxic, Burn, and Sleep. Bulky attackers such as Mega Mawile also appreciate Florges/Sylveon's wish support, using it to stay alive and deal even more damage later on in the match. As for Pokemon that can support Florges and Sylveon, any Pokemon that can take strong physical hits, especially from Pokemon such as Aegislash, Genesect, and Scizor that often use Steel-type moves pairs well with either Pokemon, and often appreciate the Wish support provided by the fairies quite a bit in return.

What Counters It: Strong Steel-types such as Genesect, Aegislash, Bisharp, Mega Mawile, Excadrill and Scizor are the most common checks to Florges. All of the above mentioned bar Bisharp take a pittance from any of Florges's attacks, and can prey on its weaker special bulk in return with Iron Heads, Bullet Punches, and Play Roughs, easily either forcing out or KOing the wallflower before it can cause any trouble. Heatran takes literally absolutely nothing from Florges thanks to its 4x resistance to Fairy-type moves, but struggles to do much in return, although it can use Roar to shuffle around Florges's teammates a little bit and possibly mess up her Wish. Mega Venusaurr is a great way to stop Florges in her tracks too, once again taking pretty much nothing from a Moonblast and posing a threat with Sludge Bomb, recovering off all the damage Florges could possibly do with Synthesis. Outside of specialized checks, pretty much any physical attacker that's bulky enough to take a Moonblast or two while not having to rely on moves she resists can easily threaten Florges and force her out of the battlefield.

Any Additional Info: I don't understand why we need to write about good teammates for Pokemon you shouldn't be using....

Just a minor nitpick : You stated that they prey on her weaker special bulk, when it should have been physical.

Alright everyone, please don't include teammates in the "What not to use" write-ups for obvious reasons. Sorry if this wasn't apparent before.

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide

Role: Revenge Killer

What It Does: Terrakion is, simply put, the best revenge killer in the tier after Deoxys-S and the best Choice Scarf user. Massive base 129 attack and powerful stabs in Close Combat and Stone Edge who provide nearly unresisted coverage and solid base 108 speed boosted by a Choice Scarf allows Terrakion to easily revenge kill several boosted and unboosted threats in the metagame. Charizard (both formes), Dragon Dance Gyarados (both formes), Dragon Dance Dragonite (once Multiscale has been broken), Dragon Dance Mega Tyranitar, Volcarona, Choice Scarf Excadrill, Choice Scarf Heatran, Greninja, Gengar, Extreme Speed Lucario among many others are all easily dealt with by Terrakion's powerful attacks. Because of this it can easily fit on any offensive team that has troubles with speedy threats. Due to a resistance to Stealth Rock, Terrakion requires no defog support from its teammates meaning it can easily come in, revenge kill what it needs to, and switch out with little problems. Close Combat and Stone Edge are the main moves of the set, easily KOing most offensive threats in the tier, Earthquake hits Aegislash hard while Rock Slide is useful when you need to use your rock stab but the opponent is already weakened enough to kill without having to rely on Stone Edge's shaky accuracy.

Good Teammates: Terrakion doesn't really require much support as it is the one supporting the team by revenge killing most offensive pokemon that could otherwise threaten its teammates. However there are two common offensive pokemon that Terrakion has a hard time against and these are Aegislash and Landorus-T since they can easily switch in Terrakion's stab moves and force it out. Bisharp is a good partner as it can take advantage of Landorus-T's Intimidate to boost its own attack and KO it after some prior damage and it can also completely destroy Aegislash. Terrakion also has problems with sturdy physical walls like Skarmory, Hippowdon and Slowbro so strong special attackers like Keldeo, Latios and Charizard are good options to destroy them. They also benefit from Terrakion's mighty physical power to destroy common special walls and ability to revenge kill many speedy threats, opening the way for a sweep.

What Counters It: As stated above, most physical walls give Terrakion trouble as they can sponge its attacks easily and recover off the damage while being able to hit it hard. Hippowdon, Slowbro, Skarmory and Tangrowth are notable examples of this. Landorus-T can neuter Terrakion's attack with Intimidate and KO it with Earthquake. Aegislash can take anything except an Earthquake and hit back hard with Iron Head or Sacred Sword. Terrakion's awful defensive typing also makes it weak to several priority users such as Scizor, Azumarill and Conkeldurr. While rare, Choice Scarf Latios can outspeed and KO Terrakion with Psyshock. Finally, while Terrakion is certainly a powerhouse, it inst capable of OHKOing quite everything and due to how many weakness it has, nearly anything that manages to survive a hit from it will often be able to KO it back.

What about spin blockers? My favorite would be

Use:

Rotom @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Volt Switch
- Pain Split
- Shadow Ball

Role: Spin Blocker

What It does: Rotom really does what most Ghost Types do, Spin Block. That is, Blocking Rapid Spin with its Ghost Typing. This is the main reason why you would ever want to run Rotom in this form rather than its beter typed brothers. Its Electric typing allows it to Damage Flying Types who want to defog, while being able to Burn most Rapid Spinners who are mostly Physical. It also serves purpose outside of Spin Blocking, as it Walls most Choice Band Scizor outside a crazy prediction, as well as various fighting types, and many common threats in the current metagame. It also gets great momentum with Volt Switch to escape Dark types that want to trap it.

Weaknesses: Obviously Dark Types counter it best. But thanks to its 91 Speed, most common Dark types wont Outspeed without being scarfed, so essentialy you get to burn most of Rotom's threats to survive with Pain Split of just switching. Sadly thats not to be said about Ghosts, and pokemon with Earthquake with Mold Breaker. Thankfully Rotom can live one single Shadow Ball from Gengar before being forced to retreat with Volt Switch. Also, many pokemon such as Band Victini, Specs Latios, and Belly Drum Azumarill, with massive Attack/Special Attack stats can easily KO Rotom. Be Carefull with Rotom, but constantly Switch to take advantage off its many assets as a pokemon. Also, Toxic can stop Rotom cold.

Teammates To Consider:
Offensive threats such as Scizor, Mienshao, and Genesect can provide U-Turn Momentum for Rotom to get in to the battle easier. Mandibuzz provides near perfect defensive coverage, but watch for Ice type moves. With this defensive core, Rotom gets a little more out of the core than Mandibuzz since Mandibuzz can come in on Rotom's Weaknesses but Rotom can't after a while. Blissey is another option, if you want Rotom to work a bit harder since neither can take physical Dark Moves. With the latter, Blissey gets Stealth Rock which Rotom can Spin Block for. I prefer Heatran since it not only can take Toxic and Dark moves, but Rotom can take fighting and Ground moves while absorbing Water moves with its fantastic special bulk. Heatran also gets Stealth Rock, Lava Plume for burning, and Toxic.

Last edited:
Here's something that will raise eyebrows, but believe it or not, I've been using it to surprising success in competent battles with other opponents. And before you dismiss it, keep in mind that there is nothing that outclasses its niche in OU, and therefore has a definite place in the metagame that cannot be disregarded. Also note that I'm not the greatest team builder, so the teammates section and specific pokemon that Raichu can hit aren't exactly my forte. Anyway:

Raichu @ Life Orb / Choice Band
Ability: Static / Lightningrod
EVs: 4 SpA / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Hasty / Lonely Nature
- Volt Tackle
- Brick Break
- Knock Off
- ExtremeSpeed / Grass Knot

Role: Physical Attacker, Late-Game Cleaner, Revenge Killer

What It Does: Despite being in an era where bulky attackers reign supreme, Raichu's blistering base 110 speed, mixed base 90 offenses, access to a powerful STAB in Volt Tackle, and passable coverage for both of his offensive stats, Raichu has a very defined niche as one of a handful of viable physical attackers with powerful Electric STAB. Its high speed lets it outrun a large variety of threats, and STAB Volt Tackle packs a huge punch, allowing it to check the rampant Flying-types through out the tier. Access to priority helps out greatly as well, especially since it's one of the fastest priority users. Combined with its coverage, Raichu can breeze through weakened teams with ease. Overall, an underrated Pokemon that certainly has its merits.

Good Teammates: If Raichu doesn't carry Grass Knot, anything that can break through bulky ground types, such as Mamoswine and Mega Charizard Y, are great offensive partners. Defensively, Mandibuzz and Skarmory can take pretty much any priority thrown at Raichu and help wear down other bulkier Pokemon that Raichu cannot otherwise OHKO

What Counters It: Talonflame, Scizor, or pretty much any priority user can wipe the floor with Raichu before it can even move. Additionally, physically defensive Ground-types wall this set hard if he isn't carrying Grass Knot.

Any Additional Info: While he doesn't look like an attractive choice at first glance, Raichu is a perfectly viable choice if your team needs powerful physical Electric STAB, an efficient late-game cleaner, or a prime-cut revenge killer. Used wisely, Raichu can be incredibly fun to use against confused opponents.

I know I'll be getting a lot of flak for this, but I've been using a similar set for some time and this thing has won games for me in clutch situations. Run some calcs and try for yourself first before you dismiss this. Thanks for your time.

aVocado

@ Everstone

Rotom @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Volt Switch
- Pain Split
- Shadow Ball

What It does: Rotom really does what most Ghost Types do, Spin Block. That is, Blocking Rapid Spin with its Ghost Typing. This is the main reason why you would ever want to run Rotom in this form rather than its beter typed brothers. Its Electric typing allows it to Damage Flying Types who want to defog, while being able to Burn most Rapid Spinners who are mostly Physical. It also serves purpose outside of Spin Blocking, as it Walls most Choice Band Scizor outside a crazy prediction, as well as various fighting types, and many common threats in the current metagame. It also gets great momentum with Volt Switch to escape Dark types that want to trap it.

Weaknesses: Obviously Dark Types counter it best. But thanks to its 91 Speed, most common Dark types wont Outspeed without being scarfed, so essentialy you get to burn most of Rotom's threats to survive with Pain Split of just switching. Sadly thats not to be said about Ghosts, and pokemon with Earthquake with Mold Breaker. Thankfully Rotom can live one single Shadow Ball from Gengar before being forced to retreat with Volt Switch. Also, many pokemon such as Band Victini, Specs Latios, and Belly Drum Azumarill, with massive Attack/Special Attack stats can easily KO Rotom. Be Carefull with Rotom, but constantly Switch to take advantage off its many assets as a pokemon. Also, Toxic can stop Rotom cold.

Teammates To Consider:
Offensive threats such as Scizor, Mienshao, and Genesect can provide U-Turn Momentum for Rotom to get in to the battle easier. Mandibuzz provides near perfect defensive coverage, but watch for Ice type moves. With this defensive core, Rotom gets a little more out of the core than Mandibuzz since Mandibuzz can come in on Rotom's Weaknesses but Rotom can't after a while. Blissey is another option, if you want Rotom to work a bit harder since neither can take physical Dark Moves. With the latter, Blissey gets Stealth Rock which Rotom can Spin Block for. I prefere Heatran since it not only can take, Toxic and Dark moves, but Rotom can take fighting and Ground moves while absorbing Water moves with its fantastic special bulk. Heatran also gets Stealth Rock, Lava Plume for burning, and Toxic.
This isn't DPPt UU ._.

There are much better spinblockers out there, including Aegislash and Jellicent.

Aegislash cant Will O' Wisp, and has no form of recovery outside the terrible rest. Jellicent will be grounded so it will take maximum damage from Hazards, rather than Rotom who only takes Stealth Rock. Neither of them can Volt Switch away from Pursuit users, though Jellicent can take one if nessicary.

Idyll

xD
is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
RBTT Champion
Use ^_^

Volcarona @ Lum Berry
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fiery Dance
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Rock] / Bug Buzz

Role: Special Sweeper

What It Does: With access to Quiver Dance, undeniably one of the best boosting moves in the game, Volcarona is truly a threatening opponent to face. Boasting 135 Special Attack paired with 100 Speed, Volcarona can just attack from the get-go and expect a boost if it used Fiery Dance, another reason to use Volcarona. Quiver Dance is the main move, as without it, he can't outspeed mons it can usually kill such as Greninja, M-Charizard, M-Lucario (can take priority bar ESpeed), and others. The most spammable move on the set is Fiery Dance, a mandatory STAB with a 50% of boosting Spa by +1. The second move, Giga Drain, provides ways to answer Water-Types such as Rotom-W, Keldeo, Greninja, and friends while also providing valuable recovery. The last slot however is a bit unclear: if you want a sweep unhindered by Charizard, Dragonite, and others while luring in Talonflame, HP-Rock is the way to go. On the other hand, Bug Buzz provides a stronger STAB that can pass through Substitutes; the last slot is merely coverage versus reliability. Overall, Volcarona is an asset to any team that can abuse it to it's fullest, and a threat to any team without Heatran.
Teammates: A good Hazards Remover mon is a must for any team using Volcarona, as it is hampered by Stealth Rock greatly, losing 49-50% percent of its health per switch-in. Solid answers to Heatran, Tyrannitar, Pinsir, and to a lesser extent Garchomp are preferred; Landorus-T can easily keep all of them at bay and also provides SR for easier kills, while Conkeldurr handles the former two comfortably. If lacking HP-Rock, answers to Flying-Types that resist Fiery Dance are also preferred to open up a Volcarona sweep.

What Counters It: Heatran is the best Volcarona counter to ever exist, with an immunity to Fire and 4x resistances to Grass and Bug. Meanwhile, Tyrannitar gets massive Special bulk in the sand and can easily Stone Edge Volcarona into oblivion and Talonflame that safely switch in can easily kill with priority Brave Bird. Scarfed Pokemon with a strong, preferably Super-Effective physical move can easily handle Volcarona if they outspeed; otherwise, any mon that can live Volc and hit back Physically just checks.
Any Additional Info: Fire Blast can go over Fiery Dance for more instant power; however, the boost chance will be missed. Lum Berry is the preferred item to protect from stray status, but any item such as Life Orb can be used as well.

Last edited:

aVocado

@ Everstone
Aegislash cant Will O' Wisp, and has no form of recovery outside the terrible rest. Jellicent will be grounded so it will take maximum damage from Hazards, rather than Rotom who only takes Stealth Rock. Neither of them can Volt Switch away from Pursuit users, though Jellicent can take one if nessicary.
Pursuit still traps Volt Switch (assuming it has the same mechanics as U-turn). Aegislash is in general much more useful than Rotom-W, even if it lacks WoW. And Jellicent has reliable recovery, more utility in Scald, WoW and Shadow Ball.

Add landorus-i to the use "wallbreaker" and "late-game sweeper" section.Set:

Landorus (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Earth Power
- Focus Blast
- Sludge Wave
- Psychic
This bastard hits so hard with the sheer force/LO combo,with earth power reaching a staggering 231 BP after all the boosts.

Here's something that will raise eyebrows, but believe it or not, I've been using it to surprising success in competent battles with other opponents. And before you dismiss it, keep in mind that there is nothing that outclasses its niche in OU, and therefore has a definite place in the metagame that cannot be disregarded. Also note that I'm not the greatest team builder, so the teammates section and specific pokemon that Raichu can hit aren't exactly my forte. Anyway:

Raichu @ Life Orb / Choice Band
Ability: Static / Lightningrod
EVs: 4 SpA / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Hasty / Lonely Nature
- Volt Tackle
- Brick Break
- Knock Off
- ExtremeSpeed / Grass Knot

Role: Physical Attacker, Late-Game Cleaner, Revenge Killer

What It Does: Despite being in an era where bulky attackers reign supreme, Raichu's blistering base 110 speed, mixed base 90 offenses, access to a powerful STAB in Volt Tackle, and passable coverage for both of his offensive stats, Raichu has a very defined niche as one of a handful of viable physical attackers with powerful Electric STAB. Its high speed lets it outrun a large variety of threats, and STAB Volt Tackle packs a huge punch, allowing it to check the rampant Flying-types through out the tier. Access to priority helps out greatly as well, especially since it's one of the fastest priority users. Combined with its coverage, Raichu can breeze through weakened teams with ease. Overall, an underrated Pokemon that certainly has its merits.

Good Teammates: If Raichu doesn't carry Grass Knot, anything that can break through bulky ground types, such as Mamoswine and Mega Charizard Y, are great offensive partners. Defensively, Mandibuzz and Skarmory can take pretty much any priority thrown at Raichu and help wear down other bulkier Pokemon that Raichu cannot otherwise OHKO

What Counters It: Talonflame, Scizor, or pretty much any priority user can wipe the floor with Raichu before it can even move. Additionally, physically defensive Ground-types wall this set hard if he isn't carrying Grass Knot.

Any Additional Info: While he doesn't look like an attractive choice at first glance, Raichu is a perfectly viable choice if your team needs powerful physical Electric STAB, an efficient late-game cleaner, or a prime-cut revenge killer. Used wisely, Raichu can be incredibly fun to use against confused opponents.

I know I'll be getting a lot of flak for this, but I've been using a similar set for some time and this thing has won games for me in clutch situations. Run some calcs and try for yourself first before you dismiss this. Thanks for your time.
The OP did say early in the thread to start with common OU pokes.

Besides that, just because nothing technically "outclasses" riachu doesn't make it good. The same goes for mons such as ditto and malamar, which are both generally mediocre pokemon in their own right. Riachu is much to weak both defensively and offensively to do any damage in OU, especially with a solid electric typing and lackluster move pool. Extreme Speed, knock off, and brick break all hit for a pittance against pretty much everything in OU. This means that pretty much any mon that can wall volt-tackle can wall riachu as a whole. Just stick with the much better selection of specially orientated electric mons in OU (rotom-w, thundurus)

Use:

Rotom @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Volt Switch
- Pain Split
- Shadow Ball

Teammates To Consider:
Offensive threats such as Scizor, Mienshao, and Genesect can provide U-Turn Momentum for Rotom to get in to the battle easier. Mandibuzz provides near perfect defensive coverage, but watch for Ice type moves. With this defensive core, Rotom gets a little more out of the core than Mandibuzz since Mandibuzz can come in on Rotom's Weaknesses but Rotom can't after a while. Blissey is another option, if you want Rotom to work a bit harder since neither can take physical Dark Moves. With the latter, Blissey gets Stealth Rock which Rotom can Spin Block for. I prefer Heatran since it not only can take Toxic and Dark moves, but Rotom can take fighting and Ground moves while absorbing Water moves with its fantastic special bulk. Heatran also gets Stealth Rock, Lava Plume for burning, and Toxic.
Rotom is defeated by Excadrill the most common spinner. Besides that, dedicating a slot to a sub-par pokemon that has no other use besides spinblocking, while defog is running rampant, is a really bad idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)