OU Trap and Sweep Team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please rate my team and let me know what i can do to improve upon it. Any opinions are accepted :).

Aerodactyl @ Focus Sash
Ability: Pressure
EVs:(252 Speed)(252 Atk)(4 HP)
Nature: Jolly
- taunt
- stealth rock
- stone edge
- earthquake

Ok so this guy has pretty much nothing to do with the rest of the team. However when I play against baton pass teams they are easy to spot from the lead. I figure this lead is not only useful with taunt and stealth rock but may throw opponents off my trail and allow some boosts and passes without my chain being broken. The set is obvious but only because it works...

Unbreon @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs:(252 HP)(162 Speed)(94 Sp Def)
Nature: Careful
- taunt
- mean look
- baton pass
- wish/moonlight

This is the bread and butter of the team. I'm hoping I can trap a wall of some sort with mean look and can then proceed to taunt and pass the benfits on to the next part of the chain. I can also trap certain pokemon that the team can resist and set up on. I havent really thought through the resistances or weaknesses of the team so it could certainly become a problem. Also, if an opponent taunts me first, umbreon becomes absolutley useless. Im hoping this can still be avoided because my opponent will not have seen any reason to assume a baton passing team.

Ninjask @ Leftovers
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs:(252 Speed)(252 HP)(4 Atk)
Nature: Jolly
- substitute
- swords dance
- baton pass
- x-scissor

Now that I have a trapped and hopefully useless opponent I can now boost as much as possible will Ninjask. Swords dance as well as speed boost should be able to get a boost or two before having to pass again. X-scissor is just a filler which could be changed to anything else really.

Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs:(252 HP)(252 Speed)(4 Def)
Nature: Timid/Jolly
- recover
- swords dance
- sustitute
- baton pass

The last part of the chain. Celebi will abuse 100+ substitutes and continue swords dancing until attack is maximized. Recover will also buy time to continue setting up. If all goes well my team should be cmpletely boosted to max attack and speed or close to it.

Gyaraods @ Life Orb
Ability: Intimidate
EVs:(252 Atk)(252 Speed)(4 HP)
Nature: Adamant
- dragon dance
- waterfall
- earthquake
- stone edge

This is my main sweeper. If the plan does not go as well as it should, gyarados and give himself some boosts to continue sweeping by himself. However if he does catch the boosts, I dont see anything stopping him except maybe a zapdos that stone edge missed.

Hercross @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs:(252 Atk)(252 Speed)(4 HP)
Nature: Adamant
- megahorn
- earthquake
- close combat
- facade

This is option number two for sweeping. Unlike gyarados he cannot give him self attack or speed boosts so i use him soley as a baton pass reciever. With a couple of stat increases nothing should stop him, especially with the ability guts paired with the flame orb to gretly increase attack. This also gives facade a base of 140 which can be very powerful. I did not choose to put stone edge into this set because that would create two attacks with poor accuracy and could leave room to be stopped in its tracks, especially with flame orb eating away at HP along the way.

Alright, this team is pretty cool (props to you for using heracross)

The main problem I see is lack of offense. you only have two actual fighters, and ninjask who dies to priority. You might want to consider another option over either aerodactyl and move ninjask to lead for more passing options. Good receivers are marowak, breloom, tyranitar, ect.

Do to sandstorm, priority, ect, ninjask is very unreliable, so make him a lead.

Also, make your receivers more durable, as once they die you essential have to start all over again.

Baton pass scizor is another option, to add offense and still pass.

Taunt and roar are your main enemies here. Making gyrados bulky and adding taunt would help solve this problem while making him more durable.

hope this helped.

I'm not too experienced, but I'd like to quote something that may help you a lot.
This is by Rhys29 from Serebii forums.
Umbreon@Leftovers
Bold, Synchronize
212 Hp, 216 Def, 32 Sp.D, 52 Spe
- Mean Look
- Baton Pass
- Yawn
- Tickle

Yes. Say Taunt weak if you want, I don't care. This set is God in my eyes so far. Umbreon seems to be a one hit wonder with most since Scizor, the number one OU threat can easily take it out. Not this set my friends. Here's a list of things it will not be OHKO'd by:
-LO Scizor's Superpower, X-Scizzor, U-Turn
-Band Scizor's Superpower, X-Scizzor, U-Turn
-Heracross' Megahorn, Close Combat, Brick Break
-Machamp's Dynamic Punch
-LO Jolly Lucario's Close Combat
-Choice Specs Timid Lucario's Aura Sphere
-Choice Specs Timid Gengar's Focus Blast
-LO Adamant Salamence's Outrage
-Choice Band Adamant Salamence's Outrage
-Choice Specs Modest Salamence's Draco Meteor
So he's gonna be tough to OHKO needless to say. Now the main point is to make him intensely difficult to OHKO because his job is to give the opponent one turn, that's it. I can switch him in on a wall that can't do shiz to him and then set up.

The strategy is to swap in on a foe who will obviously have to switch or I know they have a counter to him. I Yawn turn one, which is to put the foe in a hard spot as they switch in. They either have to switch to prevent the Yawn from working or they can attempt a OHKO and switch out. As I have stated earlier, this set is made to be tough to OHKO. My next move is dependant on what they sent out.

If my opponent has sent out what I wanted them to send out, a sweeper, then the Yawn will make them attack or switch and either is fine for me. I will simply use Mean Look to trap whoever is there. If they switch to another sweeper, I will Yawn if I know it can't 2HKO me, I can Tickle away tons of attack if it is a physical sweeper thus crippling their usage, or I can Baton Pass if I am in danger of getting 2HKO'd. If they send out a wall, I can Yawn to sleep them and then proceed to Tickle their defenses to nothingness and switch in a sweeper to set up on them or just pass right away if I know they have nothing to hit one of my sweepers (such as Cresselia usually has no way to stop Scizor).

I got this idea from a history lesson Kingdrom gave me of Wobbuffet. Someone (can't remember who) had made a Wobbuffet that just trapped walls and then proceeded to Tickle away their defenses before sending out a massive physical sweeper to either set up or go to town. This set works in a similar way, however I put the foe to sleep (hopefully) and then get my sweeper out to set himself up to take out whole teams.

The EV's are quite simple; Hp is set to the highest mln, Def hits the highest jump point, Spe is set to outrun Choice Band Machamp so I can Tickle his power away before he can hit me with Dynamic Punch as he falls asleep, and the rest goes into Sp.D (or I can reassign it to Def if I find I need more of it).

The team is a neat idea and you know it works, that's why Wobbuffet is a uber. But I can see a few that I'd like to point out.

If your trap fails, you don't really have a fall back. Infernape out speeds everyone but Aero (who probably won't be around to check him) and Ninjask (who can't check Infernape.) Gyarados is the only thing that can stand a chance to stop him, and even still Ape might be carrying stone edge, thunderpunch, or HP electric. I'd slap a scarf on Heracross so you can out speed and KO any unscarfed Apes.

Since your so dependent that your trap works, you might want to invest in setting up screens, or at least reflect. As most ppl who see a Umbreon switch to a fighting or bug type to take him out as you pass. The reflect will insure that you make the pass successfully. I can see this set for Cresselia work nicely for your team.

Cresselia - Light Clay
Levitate
Bold 252hp/148def/40spD/68spe
-Reflect
-Lunar Dance
-Light Screen/ Twave/ Ice Beam/ Psychic
-Light Screen/ Twave/ Ice Beam/ Psychic

This set provides your Umbreon with great protection against Scizor and other powerful bug and fighting types from ending your trapping days. And if you find yourself needing to trap again you can set up and Lunar Dance to Umbreaon healing it fully and removing its status condition if you picked on up. It's speed EVs puts it ahead of banded Tyranitars and SD Scizors so you can get reflect up before they hit. I'd remove Ninjask for this set since he doesn't provide that much support and will most likely end up losing half his health due to stealth rocks and can easily get KOed by a priority move. This removes your ability to pass speed boosts tho but if you scarf Hera and you can just D dance Gyarados you should be fine.

Speaking of Gyarados all I suggest is that you replace EQ for taunt. Waterfall and Stone edge hit all pokemon in OU except for Empoleon, which can't do much of anything to Gyara.

Hope that helps (if you still have this team XD)​

august

you’re a voice that never sings
is a Community Leaderis a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis the 8th Smogon Classic Winnerwon the 5th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Five-Time Past WCoP Champion
OGC Leader
Hi.

Your descriptions are a bit lacking. i suggest lengthening them and PMing them to me, and this thread will be locked until then. Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)