Pokémon Pangoro

Status
Not open for further replies.
i wouldnt justify using Pangoro even for Partingshot...or rather just because Partingshot. I see it as an average pokemon at best but even then i wouldnt use PS on it
Parting Shot is an excellent move. It's basically a "Press Here for Instant Momentum" button. Pangoro's only niche is as a user of Parting Shot in order to gain set-up opportunities for teammates. Without it, Pangoro is just a plain bad Pokemon. It's either Parting Shot or not at all.

I wouldnt even called PS a niche move on Pangoro. Sure I would never think it would be an Upper tier pokemon (really we have Scrafty) but PS shouldve been spread to like Umbreon or something. I wouldnt call it a good scouting move cause he has poor speed unless you switch pangoro to (sponge?) a hit then use PS on the predicted switch. Plus if you try to use it as an escape plan when already facing a threat you are more likely to take a heavy hit or KO before you can use the move. If the move had priority sure that would change things but nope. Not from what ive seen.

I would say this thread needs to be moved away from the OU section. It really has no use in upper tiers and should stay low tiers where it can do something. If the only reason people think to use him is for Ps then Goro is already set down as a bad pokemon with one set

I wouldnt even called PS a niche move on Pangoro. Sure I would never think it would be an Upper tier pokemon (really we have Scrafty) but PS shouldve been spread to like Umbreon or something. I wouldnt call it a good scouting move cause he has poor speed unless you switch pangoro to (sponge?) a hit then use PS on the predicted switch. Plus if you try to use it as an escape plan when already facing a threat you are more likely to take a heavy hit or KO before you can use the move. If the move had priority sure that would change things but nope. Not from what ive seen.

I would say this thread needs to be moved away from the OU section. It really has no use in upper tiers and should stay low tiers where it can do something. If the only reason people think to use him is for Ps then Goro is already set down as a bad pokemon with one set
I argue that being a mon with a 4x Dark resist and access to the best switch-out move in the game gives him at least a niche in OU.

I argue that being a mon with a 4x Dark resist and access to the best switch-out move in the game gives him at least a niche in OU.
what kind of niche? it is almost if not totally helpless against fairy, weak to fighting and flying; a type which seems to be stronger this time around in ou.

One 4x resist against a type that's generally used for coverage more than STAB is not a useful niche. It also needed to be way tankier to use that switch-out move effectively.

what kind of niche? it is almost if not totally helpless against fairy, weak to fighting and flying; a type which seems to be stronger this time around in ou.
One 4x resist against a type that's generally used for coverage more than STAB is not a useful niche. It also needed to be way tankier to use that switch-out move effectively.
Thank you.

Like i said if you are only running Goro for PartingShot then you are clearly wasting the pokemon. I not saying not to use it, but dont call it a niche or let the move be the reason for your set. Its not a good move on Goro at all hence maybe a set with LowSweep or ever SD could do better. The Panda isnt an OU or even UU poke so lets think of sets where it can actually stuff in

Thank you.

Like i said if you are only running Goro for PartingShot then you are clearly wasting the pokemon. I not saying not to use it, but dont call it a niche or let the move be the reason for your set. Its not a good move on Goro at all hence maybe a set with LowSweep or ever SD could do better. The Panda isnt an OU or even UU poke so lets think of sets where it can actually stuff in

eh, I always slapped a Choice Scarf on it and used it for scouting a Revenge killing. works well enough

okay if it works thats cool. im saying Parting Shot is not the be all, end all move for Pangoro. and it doesnt allow for a niche in upper tiers
ok, maybe niche was the wrong word.

The correct phrasing is that Parting Shot is what separates Pangoro from every single other pokemon in the game.

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Thank you.

Unfortunatly, if its not using parting shot, then it would be outclassed by other fighting types since many of them are ether faster (hitmonlee), have better coverage moves (gallade), or both (Primape).

I think A scarfed Pangoro set actually works well because even though he is slow, with max speed investment and a positive nature he actually barely outspeeds base 111s

Item: Choice Scarf
Nature: Jolly
Ability: Iron Fist
Evs: 252 attack
252 speed
4 defense

Crunch
Sky uppercut
Earthquake
Rock slide/ Stone edge

Dark/Fighting is just excellent STAB coverage because only a few pokes actually resist it and sky uppercut gets boosted by iron fist. What it does have over other fighting types is that it actually gets stab on both dark and fighting. And with max speed investment you can potentially catch some pokes cold. I don't think this poke is an OU pokemon, but it does get coverage moves such as shadow claw, X scissor and poison jab and with the coverage moves it gets it can actually hit a lot of things for super effective damage. You could also run parting shot if you want. Also this thing can check bisharp since it 4x resists sucker punch because a bisharp with a swords dance up even does massive damage to pokemon that 2x resist dark with sucker punch. And unlike Scrafty, pangoro does have the attack power to use a scarf set and it can catch pokes that reside at the base 110 speed tier offguard such as gengar, latios and espeon. I actually like this pokemon and it could do well as a revenge killer. I just wish that gamefreak gave him some priority like mach punch or sucker punch.

ok, maybe niche was the wrong word.

The correct phrasing is that Parting Shot is what separates Pangoro from every single other pokemon in the game.
Of course its the only poke to get it

Unfortunatly, if its not using parting shot, then it would be outclassed by other fighting types since many of them are ether faster (hitmonlee), have better coverage moves (gallade), or both (Primape).
its outclassed with Parting Shot. The difference its the only fighting type in lower tiers who has a move of that nature; even then its stats 95/78/71 (58 speed) dont allow it much bulk to use it better (other than the scarfset i guess)

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Of course its the only poke to get it

its outclassed with Parting Shot. The difference its the only fighting type in lower tiers who has a move of that nature; even then its stats 95/78/71 (58 speed) dont allow it much bulk to use it better (other than the scarfset i guess)
How could it be outclassed with parting shot if no other pokemon has it? It has enough bulk to use it. Just not effectively. But regardless, unless something else gets parting shot, it cant be outclassed in that regard.

edit: dont get me wrong. I really like this panda. Just that gf always make the coolest pokemons suck :/

Last edited:
this is all im reading in these posts. terrible argument for a terrible pokemon. again im not saying DO NOT use parting shot...but if you think this is his "niche" to glory well...
I haven't been saying that. The point I was trying to make was that Pangoro is a really bad Pokemon, but with Parting Shot at least you can pretend that you're using it for an actual reason and not because of the fact you thought a Panda with a cape was badass (which it totally is).

Also, fuck you Ramsay.

I haven't been saying that. The point I was trying to make was that Pangoro is a really bad Pokemon, but with Parting Shot at least you can pretend that you're using it for an actual reason and not because of the fact you thought a Panda with a cape was badass (which it totally is).

Also, fuck you Ramsay.
It's either Parting Shot or not at all.
this is quite literally ALL you said but in a longer sentence. I'm not disagreeing that Pangoro is a bad pokemon in the whole scheme of things...but you can still use it well enough in lower tiers and it is not necessary for a person to run Parting Shot to have a decent Pangoro set. I understand the move and its usage im not saying I dont....but again it is not the BE ALL, END ALL.

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
this is quite literally ALL you said but in a longer sentence. I'm not disagreeing that Pangoro is a bad pokemon in the whole scheme of things...but you can still use it well enough in lower tiers and it is not necessary for a person to run Parting Shot to have a decent Pangoro set. I understand the move and its usage im not saying I dont....but again it is not the BE ALL, END ALL.
This ties up with what I already said. Yeah you could use it without parting shot but then it would lose its one niche giving you little reason to use it over other fighting types like primape and sawk. Altho I guess stab crunch for hitting metang is still something.

Pangoro Pangoro Pangoro.....poor guy just SUCKS.
Gamefreak is being a jerk to this dude.
Scrappy.ON A DARK TYPE.
Honestly the only reason this guy might EVEN get out of NU imo is because of Parting Shot.
Though if one good pokemon such as Umbreon get's parting shot BYE-BYE Pangoro!

It's a pokemon I've been trying to use, but only makes success against crappy teams which are not my focus. If PS was priority, maybe we could make it happen.
Looks like gamefreak makes bear-mons to shine on TCG, beartic and ursaring went really well on past editions.

If Pangoro is the only Poke that is going to get PS, then hell, I hope it ends up in NU. In terms of the previous meta, it ties with +1 max speed Zweilous. I mean, a slow pivot not named Scizor isn't much god damn use anywhere else.

Well this thread quickly went down fast and turned into the Bash Pangoro thread. I actually like the scarf set since max speed outspeeds base 111s and it gets Iron fist as an ability so hopefully when move tutors come around it gets the elemental punches. Also having stab on dark and fighting is something that this pokemon can abuse since it is almost unresisted. This pokemon may end up being NU, but with access to Dark and Fighting STAB and EdgeQuake I actually think this pokemon may actually do very well in that tier, being able to deal super effective damage to a lot of pokes because of its coverage moves and being able to beat down psychic types in the tier such as musharna. I can definitely see this poke breaking down walls in the tier. And a scarf set with parting shot could actually work well at lowering the opponents boosts or crippling an opponents offensive power. I don't think this thing is going to end up as useless as a lot of people on this thread have said. Its easy to look at the negatives it has, But looking at the positives of what this poke can actually do, I like this pokemon.

I'd say run mold breaker on the scarf set because then you can use parting shot on mons who would otherwise benefit from it, mainly bisharp. I mean he has no place switching into a hammer arm BUT its usually pretty easy to work out when pangoro is going to use parting shot, its just difficult to stop otherwise.
Anyway yea.. Ive been enjoying the scarf set as a lead, especially when paired with the two intimidate users on my team with substitute. I can put someone down to -2 before they even attack, enough to always put up a sub and perhaps start focus punching or boosting.

I'd say run mold breaker on the scarf set because then you can use parting shot on mons who would otherwise benefit from it, mainly bisharp. I mean he has no place switching into a hammer arm BUT its usually pretty easy to work out when pangoro is going to use parting shot, its just difficult to stop otherwise.
Anyway yea.. Ive been enjoying the scarf set as a lead, especially when paired with the two intimidate users on my team with substitute. I can put someone down to -2 before they even attack, enough to always put up a sub and perhaps start focus punching or boosting.
True, but Pangoro isn't going to be able to use Parting Shot every time, nor should it. It'll need to do some solid damage more often than circumvent a stat-related ability with Parting Shot, so Iron Fist is gonna benefit the set when things get sticky. In all honesty, his frail defenses and weaknesses to Fighting, Flying, and party-crashing 4x to Fairy, he isn't going to take a lot of hits. And, if anyone thinks it's a balanced comparison to compare Scizor's 4x to Fire to Pangoro's 4x to Fairy, it's clearly not the same. 4x weaknesses are okay when you're paired with steel and resist 8 other things. Pangoro's typing is terrible this gen, even without the fairy weakness. If Pangoro takes a 2x SE hit from any STAB common in the meta, I doubt it'll survive farther than THKO at best. That sucks, badly.

True, but Pangoro isn't going to be able to use Parting Shot every time, nor should it. It'll need to do some solid damage more often than circumvent a stat-related ability with Parting Shot, so Iron Fist is gonna benefit the set when things get sticky. In all honesty, his frail defenses and weaknesses to Fighting, Flying, and party-crashing 4x to Fairy, he isn't going to take a lot of hits. And, if anyone thinks it's a balanced comparison to compare Scizor's 4x to Fire to Pangoro's 4x to Fairy, it's clearly not the same. 4x weaknesses are okay when you're paired with steel and resist 8 other things. Pangoro's typing is terrible this gen, even without the fairy weakness. If Pangoro takes a 2x SE hit from any STAB common in the meta, I doubt it'll survive farther than THKO at best. That sucks, badly.
Why would anyone let Pangoro take a hit outside of a dark type move which it 4x resists or weak priority moves? This thing was never meant to take hits. Thats the point of a scarf set.

Why would anyone let Pangoro take a hit outside of a dark type move which it 4x resists or weak priority moves? This thing was never meant to take hits. Thats the point of a scarf set.
The idea that you're going to completely prevent Pangoro from taking anything but Dark hits is absurd. You'll have to be a perfect predicter and you'll have almost no opportunities to switch it in, plus you'll somehow have to remove all forms of priority.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)