Pokémon Pangoro

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you guys think Parting Shot Pangoro would fit well on a VoltTurn team? Was thinking about pairing him up with Landorus-T and M-Manectric.

There's actually no reason to use Pangoro in OU. He's outclassed as a Fighting type by Conkeldurr, Scrafty, Keldeo and Terrakion. His one niche as a Fighting type is Parting Shot, but that is severely outclassed by Jumpluff, Uxie and Whimsicott with Memento. Jumpluff has 110 Spd and Infiltrator and can use Sleep Powder, Leech Seed, Reflect and U-Turn to scout and use Memento at the right time. Whimsicott is part Fairy and has Prankster on top of 116 Spd and has much of the same utility as Jumpluff. And Uxie just has great defenses, can dual screen and lay Stealth Rock and still has 95 Spd. Having to use choice scarf just to kill itself is pretty limiting for a team slot.

Parting Shot doesn't make the user kill itself, it makes them switch out. Saying that Memento outclasses Parting Shot is like saying that Explosion outclasses U-turn...

Pangoro really is awful though. If Forretress had its thread locked for being a shitty mon I don't know why this one is still open lol.

Rotosect

Banned deucer.
The whole thing would fall apart if there is a bisharp or defiant thundurus on the other team though. Both pokemon are fairly common.
Bisharp won't even think about switching on something that can pulverize it with fighting STAB and Defiant Thundurus-I isn't particularly common right now.
Pangoro will probably improve a lot in the next game with likely tutor moves such as Knock Off and Ice Punch. Right now Pangoro is rather mediocre but Parting Shot is still a great move and worth using in some teams.

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Bisharp won't even think about switching on something that can pulverize it with fighting STAB and Defiant Thundurus-I isn't particularly common right now.
Pangoro will probably improve a lot in the next game with likely tutor moves such as Knock Off and Ice Punch. Right now Pangoro is rather mediocre but Parting Shot is still a great move and worth using in some teams.
Same goes likewise. Pangoro wouldnt dare to use parting shot in fear of giving it a boost. It would be pressured to use its fighting moves instead as long as bisharp is there which would then make it dead weight on the team.

on scarf sets, I would actually argue against mold breaker, and here's why: parting shot doesn't lower speed. If you are locked into parting shot, your attack stat is totally irrelevant, and you get to phaze out espeon and PS the next pokemon for basically free. I still would never use this in OU due to Bisharp and thundy being things, but as for abilities go, either iron fist for boosted sky upper cuts or scrappy for some good ole storm throw spam. Scarf parting shot is prolly it's best niche, but I'm almost tempted to say scarfed smeargle does it better with scarfed spore, taunt, 22 * 1.5 speed, and PS.

Also, why did this get rezzed?

Sorry to potentially necro the thread, but is there anything to be said of Pangoro with the new moves the tutors gave him? Gunk Shot gives him a way to deter Fairy switch-ins, and Drain Punch plus the Elemental Punchs give him coverage options and STAB to abuse with Iron Fist.

Not expecting him to make high viability, but do the movepool improvements mean there's anything more to discuss?

Sorry to potentially necro the thread, but is there anything to be said of Pangoro with the new moves the tutors gave him? Gunk Shot gives him a way to deter Fairy switch-ins, and Drain Punch plus the Elemental Punchs give him coverage options and STAB to abuse with Iron Fist.

Not expecting him to make high viability, but do the movepool improvements mean there's anything more to discuss?
>Bringing up Pangoro's improvements in ORAS
>Not bringing up KNOCK OFF

Anyway, now it has some moves to back up it's power, it could pull off a decent scarf set, especially due to Parting Shot being a great niche. I'm not quite sure if it makes it OU viable; but I think it's definitely worth a second look for perhaps a D rank.

Anyway, now it has some moves to back up it's power, it could pull off a decent scarf set, especially due to Parting Shot being a great niche. I'm not quite sure if it makes it OU viable; but I think it's definitely worth a second look for perhaps a D rank.
I just kinda figured Knock Off went without saying, but yeah, it is criminal not to mention.

I think two important niches to note if we discuss a potential D-Rank is the fact that compared to the Intimidate Volt-Switchers (Lando-T and Mega Mane)
- Parting Shot is the only one of the 3 that can weaken special attackers, which would open a significantly greater number of switch chances for specially frail partners
- Parting Shot drops from the move, meaning unlike the other two, Pangoro is always bringing the partner into a dropped opponent, whereas the others use the chance more to force opponents out themselves and then grab momentum.

Essentially, Pangoro has an easier time (theoretically) of opening set-up chances for a bulky sweeper. Parting shot's drops increases the number of things they can check, or survive against to set up

I've been using Pangoro quite a lot, and honestly feel it has a place in OU. It has a difficult time switching in, but with its improved movepool and coverage, forces enough switches that pivoting out with Parting Shot is generally safe and easy, giving setup sweepers a lot more opportunities to set up. PS -> Mega Altaria is curently responsible for almost a quarter of my wins on the ladder, and has been surprisingly easy to set up and pull off.

I've been using Pangoro quite a lot, and honestly feel it has a place in OU. It has a difficult time switching in, but with its improved movepool and coverage, forces enough switches that pivoting out with Parting Shot is generally safe and easy, giving setup sweepers a lot more opportunities to set up. PS -> Mega Altaria is curently responsible for almost a quarter of my wins on the ladder, and has been surprisingly easy to set up and pull off.
The problem I see with pangoro is that it barely outspeeds base 100's with a scarf, and we're in a meta where the new base 100 is base 120 speed lol. most things are incredibly fast in this tier and have some way to ohko or do major damage to pangoro. If you're slow in this tier, there's not much luck for you offensively if you don't have an ability/typing to support you, which pangoro doesn't. Conkeldurr for example, is really slow, but has the bulk to support him as well as guts which means he doesn't have to care about will-o-wisp. As a wallbreaker, i can potentially see pangoro getting somewhere, but right now while all these fast, hard hitting threats are in OU he's lacking quite a bit.

Last edited:
the new base 100 is base 120 speed lol.
What
The only non-megas that occupy that are Greninja and 'Zam, the former of which is being considered for a suspect and the latter of which is... lol.
You can make a case for 110 being the new base 100 but even then that's very debatable.

Regardless, I do see your overall point, especially with a lot of scarfers and d-dancers running around.

Scarf Pangoro isn't the set it should be using in OU at least. I used a bulky set for a while that actually worked very well as a slow pivot with recovery from Drain Punch and Leftovers and more utility in Knock Off and Toxic/Gunk Shot. I've deleted my teams since, but I think the set was something like this:
Pangoro @ Leftovers
Ability: Mold Breaker/Iron Fist
EVs: 212 HP / 40 Atk / 232 Def / 24 Spe
Impish Nature
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Parting Shot
- Toxic
24 Spe outspeeds Tyranitar without Speed EVs and uninvested base 60s, 212 HP allows for maximum Leftovers recovery, 232 Def EVs reach the jump from 273 Def to 275 and the rest is put into Attack. Calculator's down unfortunately, so I can't do much more than this.

Toxic is used an alternative to Parting Shot that is made for punishing more bulky switch-ins that are either hard to wear down with STABs or just don't mind Parting Shot all that much. The set works well with a Healing Wish, Wish, and/or Heal Bell/Aromatherapy user.

Another set that is probably viable and more offensive is the Choice Band/Life Orb set. I haven't used this one, but it hits switch-ins hard and can gain momentum with Parting Shot if you're not in a position to predict wisely. I've seen alexwolf post about this set before. It might also work well with Trick Room.
Pangoro @ Choice Band/Life Orb
Ability: Iron Fist/Scrappy
EVs: 232 HP / 252 Atk / 24 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Parting Shot
- Ice Punch/Gunk Shot

Last edited:
Sca rf Pangoro isn't the set it should be using in OU at least. I used a bulky set for a while that actually worked very well as a slow pivot with recovery from Drain Punch and Leftovers and more utility in Knock Off and Toxic/Gunk Shot. I've deleted my teams since, but I think the set was something like this:
Pangoro @ Leftovers
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 212 HP / 40 Atk / 232 Def / 24 Spe
Impish Nature
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Parting Shot
- Toxic
24 Spe outspeeds Tyranitar without Speed EVs and univested base 60s, 212 HP allows for maximum Leftovers recovery, 232 Def EVs reach the jump from 273 Def to 275 and the rest is put into Attack. Calculator's down unfortunately, so I can't do much more than this.
Is there any reason to run Mold Breaker? Unless you're afraid of some random Sticky Hold / Clear Body Pokemon I can't think of any situation where Mold Breaker would actually help Pangoro. Iron Fist at least gives Drain Punch 90 base power.

Either way, that set looks like fun. Pangoro has way more bulk than people seem to expect.

Is there any reason to run Mold Breaker? Unless you're afraid of some random Sticky Hold / Clear Body Pokemon I can't think of any situation where Mold Breaker would actually help Pangoro. Iron Fist at least gives Drain Punch 90 base power.
Magic Bouncers, primarily.

Either way, that set looks like fun. Pangoro has way more bulk than people seem to expect.
Yes, Magic Bouncers as Kurona mentioned. Mega Sableye and Diancie in particular. I guess the other uses are really situational though, as the only relevant things are like Solid Rock/Filter Pokemon, Clear Body Pokemon and Multiscale Dragonite. I guess Iron Fist is probably just as viable and more consistent.

I was also surprised by Pangoro's bulk a bit the first time I used it. Actually very handy.

Magic Bouncers, primarily.
Between Knock Off and Drain Punch you dick over all Magic Bouncers... except Mega Sableye lol. I suppose it could be worth it just to smash M Sableye in the face with poison. 20% stronger STAB or melting through one of the most dangerous Megas? I guess both are viable.

You can also pass them all by by running Mold Breaker instead of Iron Fist. While this has the downside of forcing you to drop Drain Punch / Hammer Arm or any elemental punches, goro can swap Drain Punch / Hammer Arm for Superpower instead if you're running a banded set, and the elemental punches aren't a giant loss because between Knock Off, Superpower and Gunk Shot goro is only missing out on Toxicroak. Out of all the gen 6 pokes I think that goro got the biggest shot in the arm from Gen 6 tutors.

Pangoro will improve drastically now ORAS is released, it will be able to run a bulky set with drain punch, knock off, poison jab and bulk up/parting shot and it can abuse the elemental punches better than Conk due to iron fist. It still won't be breaking the OU cutoff but will be viable and maybe get UU.

Same goes likewise. Pangoro wouldnt dare to use parting shot in fear of giving it a boost. It would be pressured to use its fighting moves instead as long as bisharp is there which would then make it dead weight on the team.
That is a 50/50 that greatly works in favor of Pangoro.

Either Bisharp gets a +1 Attack Boost and gives you a free switch to something that will probably force it out anyway... or it dies.

That is a 50/50 that greatly works in favor of Pangoro.

Either Bisharp gets a +1 Attack Boost and gives you a free switch to something that will probably force it out anyway... or it dies.
No, Bisharp gets +3.
-1 attack, Defiant hits, +1
-1 special attack, Defiant hits, +3.

I hope you have a Quagsire.

No, Bisharp gets +3.
-1 attack, Defiant hits, +1
-1 special attack, Defiant hits, +3.

I hope you have a Quagsire.
...does it really work like that? i don't have Experience using Bisharp soooo

I would have thought it triggers after the SPA drop.

Defiant gives +2 Atk *per* stat drop.
Parting shot causes 2 stat drops so Defiant gives Bisharp +4 Atk.
However one of the drops affected Atk so the net is +3.

It would be a bit of a cat-and-mouse game because Bisharp could easily walk into a STAB and possibly Iron Fisted Fighting Atk.
But if it manages to connect with a Parting Shot that would be pretty scary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)