Pokémon Pangoro

Status
Not open for further replies.
(Dunno if this has been posted yet), but when parting shot is bounced by magic bounce/coat it lowers user's stats, but makes opponent switch out, which could be used to phaze magic bouncers. I don't know if its liable or not, but it may work
All Magic Bounce are psychic so i think they would switch anyways and why would you want to lower your stats?

(Dunno if this has been posted yet), but when parting shot is bounced by magic bounce/coat it lowers user's stats, but makes opponent switch out, which could be used to phaze magic bouncers. I don't know if its liable or not, but it may work
Why bother when you can use Mold Breaker and use Parting Shot anyway on Magic Bounce users?

Also, with Mold Breaker, I'm seeing Pangoro as more of a defensive phazer or something. Maybe max HP and either Def or SpD, with Parting Shot and Circle Throw as essential moves, and maybe Taunt and Crunch/Earthquake as the other two. Sure, Scrappy can work too, but I like the idea of being able to hit Magic Bounce/Clear Body users with Taunt/Parting Shot as well as Levitators with Earthquake.

Perhaps not the best of ideas, but it may be useful somehow.

I've been running a great hyper of fence pangoro set in the form of
-Assault Vest/expert belt
-252 Hp,252 attack,4 def
-Iron Fist
--------------------------------------
-Hammer Arm
-Crunch
-X scissor
-Dragon Claw

This set does it's best to take advantage of it bulk and make the most of its move pool. Pangoro unfortunately doesn't really stand out above Conckledor. And doesn't work as a sweeper like scrafty. So you might be asking yourself why use pangoro over other better fighting types. Well What pangoro lacks in speed he makes up for in staying power. I've found that x scissor works great against mallamar,espeon, and alakazam while dragon claw works to do SE damage on most common dragon types. Crunch and hammer arm are his best stab and replacing the assault vest with expert belt makes him a threat. I sincerely hope this badass panda gets the use it deserves!
This set does not make the "best advantage of its movepool". Really the only thing Pangoro has over other Pokemon is Parting Shot, and Assault Vest prevents you from using Parting Shot, so I'm really not sure what you're trying to accomplish with this set lol. Also FYI, all of your moves are resisted by Fairies, and X-scissor and Dragon Claw are redundant coverage. You should use Poison Jab as one of the coverage moves, as that hits the Fairy-types that resist Fighting / Dark. Poison Jab also happens to get the Iron Fist boost.

I honestly think a set like TheEverGreenCharmeleon's is the best way to use Pangoro: purely as a Parting Shot pivot to set up other Pokemon, because Parting Shot is a fucking amazing move, and Pangoro happens to be the only Pokemon with it besides Smeargle. Slow Parting Shot is the best for this purpose as it allows whatever Pokemon you send in to set up to not have to take a hit as they come in. Choice Band could also be decent with Hammer Arm / Crunch / Parting Shot / Poison Jab, trading its supporting abilities for more offensive ability.

This set does not make the "best advantage of its movepool". Really the only thing Pangoro has over other Pokemon is Parting Shot, and Assault Vest prevents you from using Parting Shot, so I'm really not sure what you're trying to accomplish with this set lol. Also FYI, all of your moves are resisted by Fairies, and X-scissor and Dragon Claw are redundant coverage. You should use Poison Jab as one of the coverage moves, as that hits the Fairy-types that resist Fighting / Dark. Poison Jab also happens to get the Iron Fist boost.

I honestly think a set like TheEverGreenCharmeleon's is the best way to use Pangoro: purely as a Parting Shot pivot to set up other Pokemon, because Parting Shot is a fucking amazing move, and Pangoro happens to be the only Pokemon with it besides Smeargle. Slow Parting Shot is the best for this purpose as it allows whatever Pokemon you send in to set up to not have to take a hit as they come in. Choice Band could also be decent with Hammer Arm / Crunch / Parting Shot / Poison Jab, trading its supporting abilities for more offensive ability.
I'm not trying to take on any fairies since it's essentially suicide. Pangoro is one slow mother fucker so the way I use him is to be super bulky. Also in the context of my team I have a ferrothorn and crobat essentially negating any need for poison jab. If you want to see how I use pangoro check this out http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/oubeta-66418792

Also, with Mold Breaker, I'm seeing Pangoro as more of a defensive phazer or something. Maybe max HP and either Def or SpD, with Parting Shot and Circle Throw as essential moves, and maybe Taunt and Crunch/Earthquake as the other two. Sure, Scrappy can work too, but I like the idea of being able to hit Magic Bounce/Clear Body users with Taunt/Parting Shot as well as Levitators with Earthquake.
This is exactly how I used Pangoro in early XY and it worked decently when the meta was less focused and not as frantically destructive. Still usable I think (could be a good SD Talonflame partner) but it'd hard justifying a slot for him. There are so many new threats now and it's hard enough tackling them all without having lug around dead weight like Pangoro just for the use of one fabulous move.

A bit off topic but why am I still getting likes for that one post?
Anyway, seems like the big ole panda's gaining some momentum - that list of things it can outspeed a few posts back is really impressive all things considered. Maybe not the top of the OU meta but it could have a solid niche within the UU meta as a Choice Scarfing scout. I'll have to test that out.

Can't believe I didn't find a Swords Dancing set:

Pangoro @ Life Orb
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Sky Uppercut
- Crunch
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance

Sky Uppercut so it's Speed isn't lowered from Hammer Arm (it still gets a boost from Iron Fist), and it doesn't need Scrappy either because of STABed Crunch. I see this Pokemon being in NU along with Ursaring and Beartic. Now that would be an epic fight to watch: A triple battle with a grizzly bear, a polar bear, and a panda.

Btw love ur pic there KnivesInAToaster. Best use of a Pokemon I've ever seen!

Oddly enough, Pangoro learns Infestation. This combined with it's godlike move: Parting Shot, makes Pangoro an excellent Offensive Set-Up Support Tank Pivot... Pfff, that's mouthful.

Pangoro @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 HP / ~Your choice of a mix of Att and Def/SpD
Adamant
- Hammer Arm
- Infestation
- Parting Shot
- Payback

Pangoro @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 HP / ~Your choice of a mix of Att and Def/SpD
Adamant
- Hammer Arm
- Infestation
- Parting Shot
- Rest

There is still much to choose from. Iron Fist to hit harder with Hammer Arm and let Payback be the STAB answer to ghost pokémon or in the case of Chesto, let scrappy make you hit all pokémon with Hammer Arm and forgo Payback for Rest. I'm still not settled on the EV-spread, I like being able to pack a punch. Switch in to something which can resist the hits of your enemy who also has lowered offensive abilities and set-up/substitute.

Seems pretty awesome to me :)

Parting Shot, switch into a Shadow Tag/Arena Trap user and you could score some nifty KOs. Scarfed Base 58 Speed will outspeed unboosted threats, and it is just about Bulky enough to survive the hit of an unboosted hit from a sweeper. Ubers especially where the entire tier is pretty slow, and with Sticky Web support if you're feeling very reliant on a Mega Gengar sweep can be dangerous.

Weirdly enough it's outclassed by Smeargle somewhat in this respect, who can beat almost every unboosted attacker with its good enough Base 70 speed. Against stuff like Groudon, which is slow but powerful, Parting Shot it, switch to regular Gengar, Mega evolve, absorb the Fire Punch then either set up a sub if you're feeling risky or just remove it and then get your Kyogre to do whatever.

That being said, if its only going to lower stats once or twice, why not use a faster Memento user like +1 Memento off a Whimsicott? Does its Base 124 Attack come into play here? I feel some testing is needed

Parting Shot, switch into a Shadow Tag/Arena Trap user and you could score some nifty KOs. Scarfed Base 58 Speed will outspeed unboosted threats, and it is just about Bulky enough to survive the hit of an unboosted hit from a sweeper. Ubers especially where the entire tier is pretty slow, and with Sticky Web support if you're feeling very reliant on a Mega Gengar sweep can be dangerous.

Weirdly enough it's outclassed by Smeargle somewhat in this respect, who can beat almost every unboosted attacker with its good enough Base 70 speed. Against stuff like Groudon, which is slow but powerful, Parting Shot it, switch to regular Gengar, Mega evolve, absorb the Fire Punch then either set up a sub if you're feeling risky or just remove it and then get your Kyogre to do whatever.

That being said, if its only going to lower stats once or twice, why not use a faster Memento user like +1 Memento off a Whimsicott? Does its Base 124 Attack come into play here? I feel some testing is needed
it is a good deal harder to kill in OU because there are no groudons.

scarf smeargle can outspeed stuff but pangoro is actually pretty tanky and has some nice rock/dark/ghost resists that let him overcome shitty speed and take a couple of hits

also scarf parting shot smeargle has no offensive presence outside of final gambit, and pangoro's decently powerful STABs let him smack players expecting a parting shot

Possibly, Pangoro has still somewhat of a use because of it being a Dark-type pivot. In a metagame where Ghosts are rampant, and only Dark types resist them, it may be useful.

I just wish it had more resistances than just Dark, Ghost, and Rock though. And that 4x Fairy weakness isn't helping much.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I really don't see why people think this guy is underwhealming. That monsterous attack stat and access to a slow U-Turn variant mean that its main niche in upper tiers is the same reason that Forretress likes Volt Switch: it is a great scouter. However, unlike most Forretress sets, this guy has a decent offensive presence as well. Overall, I like using the choice band set, except - due to the relative lack of fairy-type pokémon in the meta - it doesn't need the poison jab coverage to work, which is why I run the following set:

Set:
Po (Pangoro) @ Choice Band
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Parting Shot
- Crunch
- Hammer Arm
- Earthquake

Set Comments:
Parting shot will be the main move it will be using for the slow scouting switch. Crunch is the main STAB move it will use, hitting the common Aegislash and Gengar really hard, as well as being more spammable due to the steel defensive nerf. Hammer Arm has near perfect neutral coverage with Crunch, only resisted by fairy types, as well as making it usable in trick room. Earthquake is in the last slot to hit Rotom hard thanks to Mold Breaker, as well as providing perfect neutral coverage on everything but the uncommon Togekiss.

Additional Comments:
The EVs let Pangoro take hits fairly well, while sort of negating its crippling weaknesses. Adamant is prefered to maximize Pangoro's power without lowering it's overall bulk. If you don't like the speed drop of Hammer Arm you can run Sky Uppercut, but take note that you will then be forced to run Iron Fist over the more useful Mold Breaker, forcing you to run Poison Jab over Earthquake, and missing the vital super-effective coverage on the ever-so-common Rotom.

Hey guys. Long time lurker, first time poster. I wanted to get your opinions on my two WIP Pangoro builds. I can't decide which is better.

Iron Fist Pangoro
Adamant
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Attack, 4 Def/SpDef
Item: Choice Band/Life Orb or Expert Belt/Muscle Band (If another teammate has CB or LO).
Power Up Punch/Sky Uppercut/Hammer Arm
Crunch
Poison Jab
Parting Shot

Iron Fist + Stab + Boosting Item are decent multipliers for Power Up Punch. Sky Uppercut or Hammer Arm are the preferred attacks if you want close to Close Combat damage. Iron Fist + Poison Jab is great when predicting fairy switch ins.

Mold Breaker Pangoro
Adamant
Item: Choice Band/Life Orb or Expert Belt/Muscle Band (If another teammate has CB or LO).
Storm Throw
Crunch
Earthquake
Parting Shot

Storm Throw will always crit, boosting its damage from 60 to 90 + STAB and ignore defensive boosts. Mold Breaking Earthquakes deal with levitating and sturdy pokemon. Great against Magnezone.

They are extremely similar to the builds listed on the thread, but I would like to know which is overall more useful.

Hey guys. Long time lurker, first time poster. I wanted to get your opinions on my two WIP Pangoro builds. I can't decide which is better.

Iron Fist Pangoro
Adamant
Power Up Punch/Sky Uppercut/Hammer Arm
Crunch
Poison Jab
Parting Shot

Iron Fist + Stab + Boosting Item are decent multipliers for Power Up Punch. Sky Uppercut or Hammer Arm are the preferred attacks if you want close to Close Combat damage. Iron Fist + Poison Jab is great when predicting fairy switch ins.

Mold Breaker Pangoro
Adamant
Storm Throw
Crunch
Earthquake
Parting Shot

Storm Throw will always crit, boosting its damage from 60 to 90 + STAB and ignore defensive boosts. Mold Breaking Earthquakes deal with levitating and sturdy pokemon. Great against Magnezone.

They are extremely similar to the builds listed on the thread, but I would like to know which is overall more useful.
Neither set is "better" than the other on paper. They can be better in filling a role for your team. If power is what you need more than go with the iron fist set and hammer arm. If rotoms, bronzong, and sturdy users thwart your team than use mold breaker. Choice band is probably the better item for both because it ramps up the power needed for KOs. Life orb isn't great because Pangoro is one of those things with just enough bulk to take a hit and then the recoil would kill him.
Some random mon calcs about CB usage.

252+ Atk Choice Band Iron Fist Pangoro Hammer Arm vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Chesnaught: 195-231 (51.3 - 60.7%) -- 92.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Life Orb Iron Fist Pangoro Hammer Arm vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Chesnaught: 169-200 (44.4 - 52.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Choice Band Iron Fist Pangoro Hammer Arm vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Conkeldurr: 325-384 (78.5 - 92.7%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO after 2 layers of Spikes
252+ Atk Life Orb Iron Fist Pangoro Hammer Arm vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Conkeldurr: 282-333 (68.1 - 80.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after 2 layers of Spikes

After further thought, I'd say that iron fist is a better set. Mold breaker EQing is better left to Haxorus who is faster that the rotoms and has higher natural attack

Last edited:
Neither set is "better" than the other on paper. They can be better in filling a role for your team. If power is what you need more than go with the iron fist set and hammer arm. If rotoms, bronzong, and sturdy users thwart your team than use mold breaker. Choice band is probably the better item for both because it ramps up the power needed for KOs. Life orb isn't great because Pangoro is one of those things with just enough bulk to take a hit and then the recoil would kill him.
Some random mon calcs about CB usage.

252+ Atk Choice Band Iron Fist Pangoro Hammer Arm vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Chesnaught: 195-231 (51.3 - 60.7%) -- 92.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Life Orb Iron Fist Pangoro Hammer Arm vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Chesnaught: 169-200 (44.4 - 52.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Choice Band Iron Fist Pangoro Hammer Arm vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Conkeldurr: 325-384 (78.5 - 92.7%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO after 2 layers of Spikes
252+ Atk Life Orb Iron Fist Pangoro Hammer Arm vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Conkeldurr: 282-333 (68.1 - 80.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after 2 layers of Spikes

After further thought, I'd say that iron fist is a better set. Mold breaker EQing is better left to Haxorus who is faster that the rotoms and has higher natural attack
Thanks for the analysis. I think I'll make both builds since I have two perfect Panchams. One with Iron Fist and the other with Mold Breaker.

I am hopeful that Pangoro is not the beginning and end of Parting Shot, because that move is easily one of the best introduced in 6th gen. I hope something with Scarf-viable speed and typing and movepool is able to get it via breeding... which is less skeptical now that the new "signature moves" are proven to not necessarily be limited to their original user, with Freeze-Dry being passable in breeding. I'd settle for any dark type with nice speed, but one pokemon that would be amazing with Parting Shot and just feels right to have it, would be Weavile. Fast enough unboosted that a much more deadly banded set can be run instead, great offensive typing, priority with Ice Shard, Pursuit trapping, and synergizes with Volt-Turn cores beautifully... this move can put a new shine on Volt-Turn, switching into an offensive pokemon would be much safer. Weavile's frail defenses and defensive typing, weakness to rocks means that this isn't too good, but damn would it be nice.

I actually like a scarfed set with Scrappy; Parting Shot works well with scarf, outspeeding even timid gengar (although falling short of the 115 base speed tier) and the buffed Storm Throw gives you a very nice incredibly spammable move alongside scrappy. In fact, when using scrappy, Pangoro can get perfect neutral coverage with just normal + fighting, allowing it to run Storm Throw/Parting Shot/Return/Crunch for a decent scarf build. By taking away prediction, Scrappy helps you stay in control and prevent your opponent from running you through pointless mind games.

Also if we ever get an OP update, surf and grass knot aren't exactly "notable moves" now that we've determined this guy has 69 base special attack and not 80.

By no means is scarfed Pangoro not viable, but it's really reliant on the scarf to use Parting Shot effectively, IMO. I dunno, I just think that if GF put Pangoro in the same breeding groups as the likes of Weavile, along with Krookodile, giving the Scarf Moxie set even more utility as a pivot, and freakin' Zoroark, opening doors to all kinds of mind games, then why bother making Mamoswine get Freeze-Dry as an egg move. Might as well throw the dedicated Volt-Turning teams a new toy to play with that doesn't require running a relatively slow scarf user.

Ill admit i find Pangoro slightly underwhelming because his movepool isnt huge and it seems to be a GenVI gag to give good abilities to pokemon but not really in synch with movepool or stab moves (ToughClaws / Strong Jaw). I would question why someone like Pangoro didnt get something like Technician but GF why are we doing your job?

With that being said i figure this set could work and if someone else posted this sorry i didnt read through each pages.

MoldBreaker/Scrappy w/Leftovers
Adamant 252hp 252att 4spd
-LowSweep
-StormThrow
-Crunch
-Earthquake

In terms of the ability you have to ask yourself if you want to slow down and crit Ghost-types or you want Pangoro to be the handler of levitaters/sturdy pokes. As Goro is slow LowSweep offers a STAB hit that can possibly help deal with faster foes. StormThrow, with its nice boost in base, provides for 100% crits with a base 90 hit (when stab added). Neglecting defense boost it is your hardest hitting move and hurts coming off of Goros atk stat. Crunch is standard to deal with any Ghost and Psychic types though it'll arguably be used less (more neutral hit) unless wanting those SE hits. The last move, EQ ever so standard, is mainly why you'd carry MoldBreaker and is your neutral hit against Fighting and Fairy types.

If you are running this set Status fodder or a MagicBouncer is key to keep Goro out of trouble. Talonflame, Azumarril, and Gardevior (naturally) are Goro's major threats 1v1. While he may not entirely care for StealthRocks, StickyWeb could be a decent help and could allow you to go right away for a StormThrow over LowSweep

Ill admit i find Pangoro slightly underwhelming because his movepool isnt huge and it seems to be a GenVI gag to give good abilities to pokemon but not really in synch with movepool or stab moves (ToughClaws / Strong Jaw). I would question why someone like Pangoro didnt get something like Technician but GF why are we doing your job?

With that being said i figure this set could work and if someone else posted this sorry i didnt read through each pages.

MoldBreaker/Scrappy w/Leftovers
Adamant 252hp 252att 4spd
-LowSweep
-StormThrow
-Crunch
-Earthquake

In terms of the ability you have to ask yourself if you want to slow down and crit Ghost-types or you want Pangoro to be the handler of levitaters/sturdy pokes. As Goro is slow LowSweep offers a STAB hit that can possibly help deal with faster foes. StormThrow, with its nice boost in base, provides for 100% crits with a base 90 hit (when stab added). Neglecting defense boost it is your hardest hitting move and hurts coming off of Goros atk stat. Crunch is standard to deal with any Ghost and Psychic types though it'll arguably be used less (more neutral hit) unless wanting those SE hits. The last move, EQ ever so standard, is mainly why you'd carry MoldBreaker and is your neutral hit against Fighting and Fairy types.

If you are running this set Status fodder or a MagicBouncer is key to keep Goro out of trouble. Talonflame, Azumarril, and Gardevior (naturally) are Goro's major threats 1v1. While he may not entirely care for StealthRocks, StickyWeb could be a decent help and could allow you to go right away for a StormThrow over LowSweep
Eh, if you're not running Parting Shot on Pangoro, then you may as well use anything else. Also, even with 252 HP EVs, Pangoro is not bulky enough to justify Leftovers on him.

Eh, if you're not running Parting Shot on Pangoro, then you may as well use anything else. Also, even with 252 HP EVs, Pangoro is not bulky enough to justify Leftovers on him.
i wouldnt justify using Pangoro even for Partingshot...or rather just because Partingshot. I see it as an average pokemon at best but even then i wouldnt use PS on it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)