Phione (Update)

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Here's Phione, guys. Not too much, lol.

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/phione

Changes:
- Added Rain Supporter set
- Changed Hydrator set a bit (Should I keep this?? I mean, I think it sucks, but it's something Phione can do and nothing else can, and hopefully people give me some opinion on this)
- Removed Choice Specs set. Outclassed by pretty much every UU Water, lol.

[Overview]

<p>Phione is essentially a cheap rip-off of the mighty Manaphy. While it shares Manaphy's ability and typing, Phione's lack of key moves such as Tail Glow and Calm Mind makes it a lot less threatening, even in the UU tier. However, Phione's near-unique ability in Hydration and usable stats allow Phione to act as a solid Rain Dance supporter or attacker. Although Phione is not an overwhelming force in its own right, do not underestimate what it can do for its team.</p>

[SET]
name: Rain Dance Supporter
move 1: Rain Dance
move 2: Waterfall
move 3: U-turn
move 4: Rest
item: Damp Rock
nature: Jolly
evs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Phione's main niche in the UU metagame is to function as a bulky rain supporter. With its ability, Hydration, Phione is able to repeatedly switch in and set up Rain Dance while Resting off any damage taken. Hydration also allows Phione to act as an excellent status absorber for rain teams, preventing its fellow rain sweepers from being crippled. Waterfall is Phione's main STAB move and hits reasonably hard in the rain. U-turn is the icing on the cake, allowing Phione to scout the opponent's switch-in while enabling rain sweepers to come in unscathed.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EV spread maximizes Phione's bulk, while allowing it to Speed-tie with its fellow base 80s, most notably Venusaur. If you want to play Phione more aggressively, an EV spread of 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe can be used; however, Phione won't be able to set up Rain Dance nearly as many times as it can with the main spread if it chooses to utilize such an offensive EV spread. Damp Rock is the item of choice, allowing Phione to create an eight-turn Rain Dance. Heal Bell can be used in place of U-turn to cure status for your team, though U-turn is extremely useful for scouting purposes, one of the main reasons you should even consider using Phione on your team.</p>

<p>It should be noted that by using Phione, you are adding additional Electric- and Grass-type weaknesses for your Rain Dance team to struggle with. For this reason, Pokemon that resist these attacking types are essential teammates. Grass-, Dragon-, and Ground-types, such as Tangrowth, Altaria, and Rhyperior, can cover these weaknesses well, while forming decent defensive cores on a Rain team. Since Phione is dedicated to setting up rain for the rest of the its team, Pokemon that can abuse the rain are essential teammates. Kabutops, Ludicolo, Qwilfish, Omastar, and Gorebyss are all extremely deadly sweepers in the rain, making them excellent partners.</p>

<p>Toxicroak and Poliwrath are the biggest threats to Phione and its team. These Pokemon can switch into Phione as it uses Rain Dance, and set up Substitute, Nasty Plot, or Swords Dance as Phione switches out. Uxie and Weezing can wall Toxicroak and Poliwrath without much difficulty; additionally, both Pokemon are able to set up Rain Dance themselves, making them wonderful teammates. Venusaur is a very good teammate to Phione because of its ability to switch into Grass- and Electric-type attacks with ease. It can also absorb Toxic Spikes, which are quite troublesome for rain teams.</p>

[SET]
name: Rain Attacker
move 2: Surf
move 3: Grass Knot / Ice Beam / Toxic
item: Life Orb / Leftovers
nature: Timid
evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set is Phione's best attempt at being an offensive Pokemon. By using Rain Dance, Phione becomes immune to status and can use Rest to restore all of its HP in a single turn. In the rain, Surf becomes a powerful move that deals large amounts of damage to any Pokemon that does not resist it. Grass Knot helps Phione deal with the myriad of bulky Water-types in UU, while Ice Beam allows Phione to hit Venusaur and other Grass-types for super effective damage. Toxic can be used in the third slot, enabling Phione to stall and attack at the same time.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>If you're using Toxic in the third slot, it is generally a better idea to run a bulkier EV spread such as 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe. Such a spread allows Phione to both take hits and stall much more effectively. Leftovers is the item of choice due to the additional longevity it grants Phione; however, Damp Rock can be used if you want the rain to last longer.</p>

<p>Venusaur is a major threat to Phione, due to its ability to switch into any move apart from Ice Beam. Even though Phione Speed-ties with Venusaur, it won't always be able to come out on top against Venusaur. Specially Defensive Weezing is possibly the best switch-in to Venusaur, as it resists both of Venusaur's STABs and is unaffected by Sleep Powder thanks to Rest and Sleep Talk. Registeel can also switch into all special variants of Venusaur without much hassle. Apart from Venusaur, strong Electric-types such as Manectric, Rotom, and Lanturn can deal huge amounts of damage to Phione. Venusaur is, ironically, an excellent teammate for this reason, as it is able to absorb Thunderbolt and threaten such Pokemon with its powerful STAB moves. Manectric's Flamethrower will also be weakened by rain, making it a non-threat to Phione's Grass-type teammates.<p>

[Team Options]

<p>Since Phione is usually geared towards being a Rain Dance supporter, rain abusers are obviously key teammates. Swift Swim abusers such as Kabutops, Ludicolo, Gorebyss, Omastar, and Qwilfish can all sweep at a moment's notice when backed by Rain Dance support. Toxicroak is also extremely dangerous in the rain, as it is able to set up more efficiently due to the healing that rain grants it thanks to its ability, Dry Skin.</p>

<p>Pokemon that can switch in on Phione's weaknesses are highly appreciated. Specially Defensive Weezing, Altaria, and Registeel serve as good checks to Venusaur and other Grass-types, while Electric-types can be thoroughly checked by a Venusaur of your own. As a bonus, Venusaur's Fire weaknesses is reduced in the rain, making it have better chances of survival against Fire attacks from the likes of Arcanine. Since Toxicroak and Poliwrath are two of the biggest threats to Phione, Uxie and Weezing are both excellent teammates, as they are able to absorb almost any attack that the aforementioned Pokemon can fire off.</p>

[Optional Changes]

<p>Phione's movepool is not particularly large. Due to its great coverage and access to U-turn, a Choice Specs set is plausible. However, Phione's mediocre stats mean that most UU Water-types outclass it in this role. Charm and Acid Armor lower the foe's Attack and boost Phione's Defense, respectively, but since most of its counters attack on the special side, they aren't really useful for Phione. Hidden Power Psychic is possible on the Rain Dance supporter set to prevent Toxicroak and Poliwrath from freely setting up on Phione.</p>

[Counters]

<p>Water Absorbers such as Toxicroak and Poliwrath make Phione's job extremely difficult. Toxicroak can switch into anything that Phione throws at it, set up with Swords Dance or Nasty Plot, and proceed to sweep while being healed by the rain due to Dry Skin. Poliwrath can set up a Substitute in Phione's face and proceed to fire off powerful STAB Focus Punches. Lanturn takes little damage from Phione's attacks, as even Grass Knot only hits for a meager 40 base power. Electric-types such as Manectric and Rotom can outspeed and OHKO Phione with Thunderbolt if they switch in on anything apart from Surf or Waterfall. Venusaur is also a huge threat to Phione, capable of switching into any attack apart from Ice Beam, and threatening to OHKO with its powerful Grass-type STAB of choice. Taunt users can completely almost shut down the rain supporter set. Mismagius can use Taunt to stop Phione from setting up rain, then set up Nasty Plot or Calm Mind. Ambipom is also a great user of Taunt, and is capable of hitting Phione hard with its powerful Return.</p>

Hmm, I dont know that much about Phione aside from its 80 stats across the board and has hydration and not swift swim. That together with your two sets makes me think that a more suitable spread would be more focused on defense because Phione has neither the Ability nor the moveslots (due to needing room for Rest AND Rain Dance) to be an effective sweeper. You of course mentioned this in AC but I think it should be the primary option just to bulk it up a little so it can abuse decent bulk and Hydration rest.

The Hydration should be kept imo because Phione is the only one that can do it besides Dewgong (lol), and there are other "bad" sets that are included simply because they are available. (SD Vileplume comes to mind)

Bluewind

GIVE EO WARSTORY
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
I suppose you mean 252 SpAtk on the Hydrator set. Anyways, I really think you should go with a bulky spread if you're attempting to use Phione as a self-sustaining pokémon; mainly because it just doesn't have the bulk to abuse Rest with an offensive EV spread and is pretty much outclassed by Gorebyss and Omastar when it comes to sweeping. Also, mentioning something works better when passed some boosts is very vague, as any pokémon benefits from them, even more than Phione does, as it doesn't have a good staying power and needs Rain to be up. Something like Dewgong without the fail typing is what I have in mind.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeah, that was a mistake, it should be 252 SpA and I'll fix it. I will probably make Phione bulkier on the support set though.

I would consider a Toxic Stall set, something like Rain Dance Rest Surf Toxic with some sort of Defensive Spread. I know Manaphy has a similar set.

I would consider a Toxic Stall set, something like Rain Dance Rest Surf Toxic with some sort of Defensive Spread. I know Manaphy has a similar set.

I am not so sure i agree with this. I am currently testing out a set like this, and so far it isn't doing anything but failing. Either i am doing something wrong, or the set is just bad. I am not finished testing this out tho.

I've seen both sets used effectively in the past. Also, even though Heal Bell is mentioned in the Rain Dance Support set's AC, I think it should get a major mention in OC. It's too useful to just have one mention in a set's AC. Also, Bounce might deserve a mention in OC as well, because many of the Pokemon that Phione lures in are Grass-types, which will be a little less reluctant to switch into once your opponent finds out about Bounce. The paralysis chance is also nice. Other than those comments, I don't see any problems. Good luck!

Bad Ass

Custom Title
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 2nd Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
lol has this really been sitting here for six months....

i'm stamping this

shrang are you still interested in doing this? j/w because after six months i have no idea f you even want this any more.

sorry for not getting to this

Bluewind

GIVE EO WARSTORY
Just remove the Modest slash on the Hydrator set, leaving it to AC (old base 80 thing), and consider this approved.

shrang

General Kenobi
Alright then, thanks Bluewind. I'll get this done when I'm finished with everything else.

Snorlaxe

2 kawaii 4 u
GP CHECK 1/2

blue is additions

red is removals

[Overview]
<p>Phione is in essence, essentially a cheap rip-off of the mighty Manaphy. Whileit has the same shares Manaphy's ability and typing, the Phione's lack of key moves such as Tail Glow and Calm Mind makes Phione it a lot less threatening, even in the UU tier. However, its near-unique ability in Hydration and usable stats can still be salvaged in the form of allow Phione to act as a solid Rain Dance supporter or attacker.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Phione's main niche in the UU metagame is a bulky Rain rain supporter. With its ability, Hydration, Phione is able to come in repeatedly switch in to set up Rain Dance, Resting off the any damage taken whenever its health gets too low. Hydration also allows Phione to be act as an excellent status absorber for Rain rain teams, allowing it to preventing its fellow Rain rain sweepers from being crippled. Waterfall is Phione's main STAB move, and hits reasonably hard in the rain. U-turn is the icing on the cake, allowing Phione to scout the opponent's switch-in and while giving allowing Rain rain sweepers a free switch to come in unscathed.</p>

[Additional Comments]
<p>The EV spread lets maximizes Phione's bulk, be as bulky as possible while speed-tieing allowing it to speed-tie with its fellow Base base 80s, most notably Venusaur. If you want to be more play Phione more aggressively, an EV spread of 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe spread can be used, but a bulky Phione allows for more Rain Dancing used; however, Phione won't be able to set up Rain Dance nearly as many times if it chooses to utilize such a spread. Damp Rock is used as the item of choice, to allow for maximum rain abuse allowing Phione to create an eight-turn Rain Dance. Heal Bell can be used in place of U-turn to cure status for the team, though U-turn is extremely useful for scouting purposes.</p>

<p>It should be noted that by using Phione to a on your Rain Dance team, team is you are adding an extra Pokemon that is weak to additional Electric- and Grass-type to an already Electric and Grass weak team weakness for your team to struggle with. For this reason, Pokemon that resist these weakness attacking types are good teammates. Grass-, Poison-, and Ground-types can cover these weaknesses well, while forming decent defensive cores on a Rain rain team. Since Phione is dedicated to setting up Rain rain for the rest of the its team, Pokemon who can abuse the rain are best essential teammates for Phione. Kabutops, Ludicolo, Qwilfish, Omastar, and Gorebyss are all extremely deadly sweepers in the rain, making them excellent partners.</p>

<p>Toxicroak and Poliwrath are the biggest threats to Phione and its team. They These Pokemon can both switch into Phione as it uses Rain Dance, and set up Substitute, Nasty Plot, or Swords Dance as Phione switches out. Uxie and Weezing can wall Toxicroak and Poliwrath without much difficulty; additionally, both Pokemon are while being able to set up Rain Dance by themselves, making them wonderful teammates. Venusaur is a very good teammate to Phione because of its ability to switch into Grass- and Electric-type attacks and threaten devastation. It can also absorb Toxic Spikes, which are usually quite troublesome for Rain rain teams.</p>

[SET]
name: Hydrator Rain Attacker

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>This set is Phione's best attempt as at being an offensive Pokemon. By using Rain Dance, Phione becomes immune to status and has its primary STAB boosted, allowing it to use Rest to heal restore all of its HP in a single turn. In the rain, Surf does a lot of damage to anything becomes a powerful move that deals large amounts of damage to any Pokemon that does not resist it. Grass Knot helps Phione deal with the myriad of bulky Water-types in UU, while Ice Beam allows Phione to hit Venusaur for super effective damage. Toxic can be used in place of Grass Knot and or Ice Beam, so enabling Phione can to stall and attack at the same time.</p>

[Additional Comments]
<p>If you're using Toxic in the third slot, it is generally a better idea to run an EV bulkier spread such as 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe. Such a spread allows Phione to both take hits and stall much so Phione can stall more effectively. Leftovers would obviously be is the item of choice. choice due to the additional longevity it grants Phione; however, Damp Rock can be used as the item if you want the rain to last longer.</p>

<p>Venusaur is a major threat to Phione, capable of switching into anything apart from Ice Beam. Even then, it speed-ties with Phione, so Ice Beam is not a guaranteed 2HKO Phione won't always be able to come out on top against Venusaur. Specially Defensive Weezing is possibly the best switch into switch-in to Venusaur, resisting as it resists both of its Venusaur's STABs while absorbing and is unaffected by Sleep Powder with thanks to Rest and Sleep Talk. Registeel can also switch into all special variants of Venusaur without much hassle. Apart from Venusaur, strong Electric-types such as Manectric, Rotom, and Lanturn can do deal huge amounts of damage to Phione. Venusaur is an excellent teammate for this reason, being able to absorb Thunderbolt and threatening threaten such Pokemon with its powerful STABs STAB moves.</p>

[Team Options]
<p>Since Phione is usually geared up to be towards being a Rain Dance supporter, rain abusers are obviously key teammates. Swift Swim abusers such as Kabutops, Ludicolo, Gorebyss, Omastar, and Qwilfish can all sweep at a moment's notice in the rain when backed by Rain Dance support. Toxicroak is also extremely dangerous in the rain, being able to set up more efficiently while being healed by the rain due to the healing that rain grants it.</p>

<p>Pokemon that can switch into Phione's weaknesses are highly appreciated. Specially Defensive Weezing, Altaria, and Registeel serve as good checks to Venusaur and other Grass-types, while Electric-types are can be thoroughly checked thoroughly by a Venusaur of your own. Since Toxicroak and Poliwrath are two of the biggest threats to Phione, Uxie and Weezing are both excellent teammates to absorb attacks from the pair teammates, as they are able to absorb almost any attack that the aforementioned Pokemon can fire off.</p>

[Optional Changes]
<p>Choice Specs can be used on Phione with its Due to Phione's great coverage and access to U-turn, a Choice Specs set is plausible. but its However, Phione's mediocre stats mean that most of Water-types of UU tier UU Water-types outclass it in this role. Charm and Acid Armor can be used to boost Phione's physical defense, but since most its counters hit on the special side, they aren't very useful moves terribly useful for Phione. Surf and Hidden Power Psychic are possible on the rain supporter set to stop prevent Toxicroak setting up on Phione.</p>

[Counters]
<p>Water Absorbers such as Toxicroak and Poliwrath makes make Phione's job extremely difficult. Toxicroak can switch into anything Phione throws at it, set up with Swords Dance or Nasty Plot, and proceed to sweep while being healed by the rain due to Dry Skin. Poliwrath can set up a Substitute in Phione's face and proceed to fire off powerful STAB Focus Punches. Venusaur is also a huge threat to Phione, capable of switching into everything any attack apart from Ice Beam, and threatening to OHKO with its powerful Grass-type STAB. Taunt users can completely shut down easily messes with the Rain rain supporter set. Mismagius can use Taunt to stop Phione from setting up rain, then set up Nasty Plot. Ambipom is also a great user of Taunt, and is capable of hitting Phione hard with its powerful Return. in the UU tier.</p>

poor phione...all it wants to do is evolve into a beautiful manaphy. but will gamefreak let that happen? NO

Flora

Yep, that tasted purple!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
GP Check: 2/2
additions/changes in blue
removals in red
comments in navy

[Overview]
<p>Phione is in essentially a cheap rip-off of the mighty Manaphy. While it shares Manaphy's ability and typing, Phione's lack of key moves such as Tail Glow and Calm Mind makes it a lot less threatening, even in the UU tier. However, its Phione's near-unique ability in Hydration and usable stats allow Phione it to act as a solid Rain Dance supporter or attacker. (Can you make a wrap-up sentence here? Something like "Although Phione won't be game-changing anytime soon... yadda yadda potential" I'll let you write it; just giving an idea.)</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Phione's main niche in the UU metagame is to function as a bulky rain supporter. With its ability, Hydration, Phione is able to repeatedly switch in to and set up Rain Dance, (remove comma) while Resting off any damage taken whenever its health gets too low (Actually, I would still use Rest if Phione was around 50-60%, or even more just to be safe in the future. Not like this Phione is dealing much damage. If you disagree, feel free to keep the part.). Hydration also allows Phione to act as an excellent status absorber for rain teams, preventing its fellow rain sweepers from being crippled. Waterfall is Phione's main STAB move and hits reasonably hard in the rain. U-turn is the icing on the cake, allowing Phione to scout the opponent's switch-in while allowing enabling rain sweepers to come in unscathed.</p>

[Additional Comments]
<p>The EV spread lets maximizes Phione's bulk, (remove comma) while allowing it to Speed-tie with its fellow Base base 80s, most notably Venusaur. If you want to play Phione more aggressively, an EV spread of 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe can be used; however, Phione won't be able to set up Rain Dance nearly as many times as the main spread if it chooses to utilize such a spread. Damp Rock is the item of choice, allowing Phione to create an eight-turn Rain Dance. Heal Bell can be used in place of U-turn to cure status for the your team, though U-turn is extremely useful for scouting purposes.</p>

<p>It should be noted that by using Phione on your Rain Dance team, you are adding additional Electric- and Grass-type weaknesses for your Rain Dance team to struggle with. For this reason, Pokemon that resist these weakness attacking types are good teammates. Grass-, Poison-, and Ground-types can cover these weaknesses well, while forming decent defensive cores on a Rain rain team. Since Phione is dedicated to setting up rain for the rest of the its team, Pokemon who that can abuse the rain are essential teammates. Kabutops, Ludicolo, Qwilfish, Omastar, and Gorebyss are all extremely deadly sweepers in the rain, making them excellent partners.</p>

<p>Toxicroak and Poliwrath are the biggest threats to Phione and its team. These Pokemon can switch into Phione as it uses Rain Dance, and set up Substitute, Nasty Plot, or Swords Dance as Phione switches out. Uxie and Weezing can wall Toxicroak and Poliwrath without much difficulty; additionally, both Pokemon are able to set up Rain Dance themselves, making them wonderful teammates. Venusaur is a very good teammate to Phione because of its ability to switch into Grass- and Electric-type attacks with ease. It can also absorb Toxic Spikes, which are quite troublesome for rain teams.</p>

[SET]
name: Rain Attacker

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>This set is Phione's best attempt at being an offensive Pokemon. By using Rain Dance, Phione becomes immune to status, allowing it to and can use Rest to restore all of its HP in a single turn. In the rain, Surf becomes a powerful move that deals large amounts of damage to any Pokemon that does not resist it. Grass Knot helps Phione deal with the myriad of bulky Water-types in UU, while Ice Beam allows Phione to hit Grass-types such as Venusaur for super effective damage. Toxic can be used in place of Grass Knot or Ice Beam the third slot, enabling Phione to stall and attack at the same time.</p>

[Additional Comments]
<p>If you're using Toxic in the third slot, it is generally a better idea to run an a bulkier EV spread such as of 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe. Such a spread allows Phione to both take hits and stall much more effectively. Leftovers is the item of choice due to the additional longevity it grants Phione; however, Damp Rock can be used if you want the rain to last longer.</p>

<p>Venusaur is a major threat to Phione, due to its ability to switch of switching into anything move apart from Ice Beam. Even then, though it Phione Speed-ties with Phione Venusaur, Phione it won't always be able to come out on top against Venusaur. Specially Defensive Weezing is possibly the best switch-in to Venusaur, as it resists both of its Venusaur's STABs and is unaffected by Sleep Powder thanks to Rest and Sleep Talk. Registeel can also switch into all special variants of Venusaur without much hassle. Apart from Venusaur, strong Electric-types such as Manectric, Rotom, and Lanturn can deal huge amounts of damage to Phione. Venusaur is an excellent teammate for this reason, as it is able to absorb Thunderbolt and threatening threaten such Pokemon with its powerful STAB moves.</p>

[Team Options]
<p>Since Phione is usually geared towards being a Rain Dance supporter, rain abusers are obviously key teammates. Swift Swim abusers such as Kabutops, Ludicolo, Gorebyss, Omastar,and Qwilfish can all sweep at a moment's notice when backed by Rain Dance support. Toxicroak is also extremely dangerous in the rain, as it is able to set up more efficiently due to the healing that rain grants it.</p>

<p>Pokemon that can switch into on Phione's weaknesses are highly appreciated. Specially Defensive Weezing, Altaria, and Registeel serve as good checks to Venusaur and other Grass-types, while Electric-types can be thoroughly checked thoroughly by a Venusaur of your own. As a bonus, Venusaur's Fire weaknesses is reduced in the rain, making it have better chances of survival against Fire attacks from the likes of Manectric and even Arcanine. (Feel free to change that sentence to your likings; I thought it would be interesting to put in.) Since Toxicroak and Poliwrath are two of the biggest threats to Phione, Uxie and Weezing are both excellent teammates, as they are able to absorb almost any attack that the aforementioned Pokemon can fire off.</p>

[Optional Changes]
<p>(Can you make a sentence here stating how shallow Phione's movepool is? Well, if it's actually not that shallow in your opinion, then yeah, mention that.) Due to Phione's great coverage and access to U-turn, a Choice Specs set is plausible. However, Phione's mediocre stats mean that most UU Water-types outclass it in this role. Charm and Acid Armor can be used to lower the foe's Attack and boost Phione's physical Defense, respectively, but since most of its counters hit attack on the special side, they aren't terribly really useful for Phione. Surf and Hidden Power Psychic are is possible on the Rain Dance Supporter set to prevent Toxicroak from freely setting up on Phione. (Eat something before writing; Surf to stop Toxicroak sure was wack. ;D)</p>

[Counters]
<p>Water Absorbers such as Toxicroak and Poliwrath make Phione's job extremely difficult. Toxicroak can switch into anything that Phione throws at it, set up with Swords Dance or Nasty Plot, and proceed to sweep while being healed by the rain due to Dry Skin. Poliwrath can set up a Substitute in Phione's face and proceed to fire off powerful STAB Focus Punches. Venusaur is also a huge threat to Phione, capable of switching into any attack apart from Ice Beam, and threatening to OHKO with its powerful Grass-type STAB. Taunt users can almost (Because it can always Waterfall or U-turn out.) completely shut down the Rain Dance Supporter set. Mismagius can use Taunt to stop Phione from setting up rain, and then set up Nasty Plot. Ambipom is also a great user of Taunt, and that is capable of hitting Phione hard with its powerful Return.</p>

(Lanturn? Takes 40 BP from Grass Knot IIRC. Also Manectric and Rotom switching in on a Rain Dance, which actually prevents the rain sweepers from switching in on the first place, thus wasting Rain Dance turns. Manectric is fine to mention imo if you mentioned the NU Poliwrath.)

There were some errors that came from Snorlaxe's check. You forgot the "in" in the Overview, there's "Base base", and more. So watch out in the future! Don't just use the AA button (don't know what it's called, the one at the farthest top-left) immediately; crop off the red manually then go ahead and highlight-click if you feel you have no problems with the blue.

Anyway, I wasn't really that nitpicky here (or probably won't be in the future unless the analysis needs it). It's mostly minor content issues imo. Looks okay afterward.

wish we could fit an iphone joke somewhere...

shrang

General Kenobi
Thanks Flora, this is pretty much done. I've added a line or two in due to Flora's suggestions, so would whoever upload this please do a last minute check please.

Several things -

1. Doesn't Phione have Grass Knot to hit Poliwrath with? I haven't done the calcs, but even with 80 SpA it should deal 25% to Poliwrath (it's super-effective). EDIT: Oh, Poliwrath hard-counters the first set. I think regardless a mention about how Poliwrath doesn't counter the second set would be good.

2. You mention that Phione's movepool is particularly large in the optional changes section, but also mention that it's missing Tail Glow and Calm Mind in the overview. This feels rather contradictory. I think adding a few more words such as "Although missing Tail Glow and Calm Mind, Phione's movepool is particularly large ..." is a good thing.

3. Finally you mention that Venusaur makes a good partner to Phione because it can switch into Manectric. Manectric learns Flamethrower / Overheat however ... perhaps you could also add that "... and rain covers Venusaur's Fire weakness" somewhere.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Wooo, we're finally on a roll!

I figured you addressed Banedon's comments, so this is checked and Uploaded.

Great Job everybody.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)