Pinsir

Pinsir
No 127
Bug

I wanted to do an anaylisis so here it is

Moves
Level Up
Lv1: Vicegrip, Lv1: Focus Energy, Lv4: Bind, Lv8: Seismic Toss, *Lv13: Harden, Lv18: Revenge, Lv21: Brick Break, Lv25: Vital Throw, Lv30: *X-Scissor, Lv35: Thrash, Lv38: Swords Dance, Lv42: Submission, Lv47: *Guillotine, Lv52: Superpower

Egg Moves
Fury Attack
Flail
Faint Attack
Quick Attack
Close Combat
Feint
Me First
Bug Bite
Superpower

Tm And Hm
Learnable TMs: , TM06 - Toxic, TM08 - Bulk Up, TM10 - Hidden Power, TM11 *- Sunny Day, TM15 - Hyper Beam, TM17 - Protect, TM18 - Rain Dance, TM21 *- Frustration, TM23 - Strike Down, TM26 - Earthquake, TM27 - Return, *TM28 - Dig, TM31 - Brick Break, TM32 - Double Team, TM39 - Rock Tomb, *TM42 - Facade, TM44 - Rest, TM45 - Attract, TM46 - Thief, TM48 - Troll, *TM52 - Focus Blast, TM54 - False Swipe, TM56 - Fling, TM68 - Giga *Impact, TM71 - Stone Edge, TM75 - Swords Dance, TM76 - Bug Resistance, *TM78 - Smooth Over, TM80 - Rock Slide, TM81 - X-Scissor, TM87 - Swagger, *TM90 - Substitute, TM94 - Rock Smash, HM01 - Cut, HM04 - Strength
Stats and Abilities
65 HP, 125 ATK, 100 DEF, 85 SPD, 55 SPATK, 70 SPDEF;
Hyper Cutter/Mold Breaker/Earthquake Spiral
Overview
So pinsir got a new ability this generation. This means pinsir can boost it attacks to huge levels. It is outclassed by Heracross but I think this will be the top of Nu.
Movesets
Pinsir (M) @ Choice Scarf Trait: Earthquake Spiral
*EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
*Adamant Nature (+Atk, -Def)
*- Earthquake
*- X-Scissor
*- Close Combat
*- Stone Edge
Pinsir with a choice scarf means it can abuse that huge attack stat while boosting its average speed. X scissor is its main stab with close combat helping beat steel types. he gets great coverage from quake edge.

Pinsir @ Leftovers
Overconfidence*
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- X-Scissor
- Stone Edge
- Substitute
This set means that it is harder to revenge kill pinsir. It also means Walls can't burn and parlyze him hindering his sweep.*

Pinsir (M) @ Choice Band Trait: Earthquake Spiral
*Jolly Nature (+Spd, -Def)
*- Earthquake
*- X-Scissor
*- Close Combat
*- Stone Edge
this set is the same as the above but instead focuses on raw power rather than speed.

Pinsir (M) @ Life Orb Trait: Earthquake Spiral
*Jolly Nature (+Spd, -HP)/Adamant Nature (+Atk, -Def)
*- Swords Dance
*- Earthquake
*- X scissor
*- Stone Edge
You bring it in on somethingthat cant touch it swords dance,kill it and then rape. After 1ko and a swords dance pinsir reaches a attack stat of 872. this is monstrous .

*if you weaken physical walls pinsir will sweep.

Disadvantages
Pinsir is slow and has bad defenses so can easily be revenged by priority. He also has a Stealth rock weakness.

i will update this *with more detail soon
please post and sorry about my crappy spelling
*btw all the random stars appear when I post and I can't get rid of them.

Has anything changed for Pinsir?

I'm tired of seeing analysis on pokemon who havn't changed.
If I wanted to see Pinsir I would of gone to Smogon's strategydex.

I stand corrected.

Pinsir @ Life Orb
Overconfidence
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- X-Scissor
- Close Combat / Stone Edge
- Substitute

BurningMan

fueled by beer
Has anything changed for Pinsir?

I'm tired of seeing analysis on pokemon who havn't changed.
If I wanted to see Pinsir I would of gone to Smogon's strategydex.
He got Overconfidence the same ability that Gyara,Mence and Heracross got wich could be very useful for him since Mold Breaker doesnt help him that much with only 4 levitators in NU(though solrock and Lunatone could be a Problem but i dont know how if they are used in NU).

Movepool wise nothing has changed for him wich is sad but he alread got everything he really needed (bar maybe U-Turn but i dont know if you would use that with a SR weakness and no way of reliable recovery).

His Stats are still ok and i am sure he would be UU if mono Bug wouldnt be such a terrible typing.

Edit: @ the guys above me: he mentioned that he just called it Earthquake spiral wich was a former transtlation of this ability

Solrock and Lunatone could be problems? What?

Pinsir doesn't changed much. If it uses Overconfidence it's still way overshadowed by Heracross (ha, it gets the same >_>)
He's alright on lower tiers though.

/Close Combat is its main stab
Close Combat isn't STAB, it being a fighting type move while Pinsir is Bug only!

I love the guy, don't get me wrong - but that isn't accurate I'm afraid :(

BurningMan

fueled by beer
Solrock and Lunatone could be problems? What?
well they dont get hit se with eq anymore and everything else hits only for neutral damage but as i said i dont know if they are used in NU(well i doubt that, but i just wanted to metion how his old ability helped/not helped him).

Adamant and Jolly lower SpAtk, not Def.

I think the best ways to abuse Overconfidence are with Substitute and Choice Scarf sets, since they help Pinsir overcome its average Speed. However, I think you should run Leftovers over Life Orb on that Substitute set. SR, Substitute, and LO will wear down Pinsir very quickly.

Overall, Pinsir is still completely outclassed by Heracross when not using Mold Breaker but it could be useful in the lower tiers.

Heracross gets the same attack, same speed, has megahorn over x-scissor and a STAB close combat. Now they have the same ability too. They aren't called trollfreak for no reason. Pinsir is pretty much only better at physical defense, but heracross has better spD anyways >_> I wish pinsir had gotten a better ability, or at least one that made him stand out.

Mold Breaker is still better than Overconfidence. He already has Swords Dance.
The only purpose of mold breaker (as far as i can see) is to use earthquake on levitators...not really all that useful imo.

EDIT: I didnt realize the only Ghost/dark move he gets is Faint attack...Yet heracross gets both night slash and shadow claw...JOIN ANTI-TROLLFREAK EVERYONE! :D

EDIT 2: Forgot about study...I fail -__-

65/100/70 aren't bad defenses considering his tier level. He could probably take a priority hit if he hasn't used Close Combat yet.

Hyper Cutter/Mold Breaker > Overconfidence. Just because it's new doesn't mean you need to throw it on every set. Honestly, he hasn't changed. Overconfidence is better on Heracross, his old abilities made him slightly different from Heracross.

I stand corrected.

Pinsir @ Life Orb
Overconfidence
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- X-Scissor
- Close Combat / Stone Edge
- Substitute
This with Salac Berry and Overconfidence could be good. Two or three OC boosts, if you can get them, are plenty to compensate for the loss of Life orb boost, IMO.

The OC is super messy and hard to read, needs some sizing and spacing fixes. :\

Bologo

Have fun with birds and bees.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Meh, at least Pinsir has a niche as a lead where he can set up Stealth Rock without getting fucked by Espeon due to Mold Breaker.

Meh, at least Pinsir has a niche as a lead where he can set up Stealth Rock without getting fucked by Espeon due to Mold Breaker.
Use Rampados, who can set SR up al well as phazing even things like Cradily out with Whirlwind and nice recovery with Pain Split and high HP!

In all seriousness, Mold Breaker is really the way to go with Pinsir. Overconfidence is better on Heracross (though Guts is much better).

And i also think that's the only niche on Pinsir. Unfortunately.

He got Overconfidence the same ability that Gyara,Mence and Heracross got wich could be very useful for him since Mold Breaker doesnt help him that much with only 4 levitators in NU(though solrock and Lunatone could be a Problem but i dont know how if they are used in NU).

Movepool wise nothing has changed for him wich is sad but he alread got everything he really needed (bar maybe U-Turn but i dont know if you would use that with a SR weakness and no way of reliable recovery).

His Stats are still ok and i am sure he would be UU if mono Bug wouldnt be such a terrible typing.

Edit: @ the guys above me: he mentioned that he just called it Earthquake spiral wich was a former transtlation of this ability
when you use Scarf, you are inevitably going to be walled by something, and overconfidence can only do so much

Lets not forget that Mold Breaker does more than just allows a pokemon to land an attack that an ability would otherwise prevent from doing damage:

(COPY AND PASTE FROM SMOGON)

Abilities nullified are:

Battle Armor
Clear Body
Damp
Dry Skin (including the added damage from Fire moves)
Filter
Flash Fire
Flower Gift
Heatproof
Hyper Cutter
Immunity
Inner Focus
Insomnia
Keen Eye
Leaf Guard
Levitate
Lightningrod
Limber
Magma Armor
Marvel Scale
Motor Drive
Oblivious
Own Tempo
Sand Veil
Shell Armor
Shield Dust
Simple
Snow Cloak
Solid Rock
Soundproof
Sticky Hold
Storm Drain
Sturdy
Suction Cups
Tangled Feet
Thick Fat
Unaware
Vital Spirit
Volt Absorb
Water Absorb
Water Veil
White Smoke
Wonder Guard

Yes half of these advantages are completely useless for Pinsir (for example, Dry Skin is useless cuz he doesn't learn any good water moves) but there are some semi-useful things on there. (Like solid rock.) I'd imagine he'd be an okay pokemon to use against sandstorm teams as Mold Breaker negates Sand Veil.

Also this is the D/P list. The black and white changes and additions arent listed.

Mold Breaker is a fantastic ability, and since you won't be sweeping with something as slow as Pinsir, or a Pinsir locked into one move, Mold Breaker is more useful in most cases.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)