Pokémon Black/White in-game discussion

breh

強いだね
Any suggestions on HM slaves I can get in Black? Cheers
You don't really need HM slaves. All hms are optional except cut one time in earlygame (teach it to your monkey).

If you want to get the optional goodies, go with patrat/watchog and that'll be good enough.

Okay, but are they really optional? Like I don't think Cut is useful outside of the first stages of the game. So which are required, for how long, and what are the "optional" advantages to each HM?

Okay, but are they really optional? Like I don't think Cut is useful outside of the first stages of the game. So which are required, for how long, and what are the "optional" advantages to each HM?
Cut is only used ONCE for the story. Other then that, the story itself doesnt require you to use any HM's.
That said, it is handy to have something with Strength around to create shortcuts left and right, have something with Fly for obvious reasons and a Surfer. None are required, but Surf can take you to nice goodies, just like Strength can (for example Rock Slide needs you to have Surf and Strength).

Who's a good late game status inducer that I can easily catch? I'm starting figure out that once you start getting to the big boys, simply taking them down to 1 HP isn't going to work. However, I don't want to go back and catch a whatever and train it up. Is there anything late game that already has Twave or Sleep Powder or whatever?

Cut is the only REQUIRED once. You wont need anymore until post game. Theres like 3 Strength boulders in total in the main dungeons and they just opened paths that allowed you to backtrack through the dungeons/caves, no more Rock Smash, Surf just lets you skip a bit of walking in caves (but its a great move so u'll prolly have it) and Cut was used ONCE in the Dreamyard. After that I didn't see ONE Cut bush. Theres no need for HMs.

Theres only 4 or 5 HMs until post game and they arent even used at all really. Don't bother with a slave after the Dreamyard HM tutorial. Just keep a flyer in your PC when you have to travel. You'll barely use it anyways though.

Don't "need" an HM Slave in this game. You can just grab HM carriers when you want to do the side-quests. Strength and Surf will help speed things up a little bit in certain areas but not so much that you HAVE to have them. I keep Surf on my Cubchoo, Waterfall on my Samurott and Fly on my Golurk... but none of it is necessary at all.

Hot Tip though: Catch an Axew and take it with you. Dragon Dance / False Swipe is a perfect combo for catching anything you want in the game.

EDIT: Whoops... started that post a long time ago and then got distracted with Victory Road. Sorry I answered something everyone else already had. My bad!

And when Fraxure gets to learn Swords Dance, replace Dragon Dance.

You could say that my Samurott is my HM slave, considering it knows Cut, Surf, Waterfall, and will know Dive once I get it since my Haxorus is much better at False Swipe. However, Cut has been good, and Waterfall is better than Razor Shell.

Thingy the Sigilyph is my flier, and is not very powerful, but it still can get me out of a pinch. It also knows Flash. Because it's not too strong, I will bring Thor the Thundurus (with Damp Rock, Rain Dance, Thunder, Focus Blast, and Crunch) to the League instead.

Digna (that's an actual name, I only named her that because she's a girl) the Excadrill has Strength, and Strength actually can come in handy. It also has Dig, which came in handy a lot until it learned Earthquake, but it is still a bit useful.

When is this, exactly?
I know after you get your 8th badge it can occur on the Route where there are those wooden planks you walk across. You'll know somethings up because there will be a storm, and if you don't want to release it, you can just leave (fly away/ walk back). Once you go passed the first house you'll get drawn into a text sequence, and once you leave Thundurus/ Tornados will be released (or it could be when you enter the house, I'm not entirely sure).

What are everyone's thoughts on the game's difficulty? I for one find it disappointingly easy. Perhaps it's because I'm just so used to the structure of Pokemon games, but I'm literally blazing (pun intended) through it with the use of Tepig and it's evolutions.

This game is fairly easy, although I'm taking my time running around catching stuff in-between gym leaders. Got all 3 monkeys just now, actually. All of they gym leaders have been fairly easy as well; I really haven't run into any walls yet. (I have 7 badges, BTW)

What are everyone's thoughts on the game's difficulty? I for one find it disappointingly easy. Perhaps it's because I'm just so used to the structure of Pokemon games, but I'm literally blazing (pun intended) through it with the use of Tepig and it's evolutions.
They're encouraging you to use a team of 6 rather than 1. Just raising 1 to insane levels will obviously make the game easier but yes the game isn't too difficult after the first couple of gyms.

After the e4 the level spike makes things difficult again for awhile but there's no need to grind as beating pokes 10+ levels higher is perfectly possible.

Overall, no more easy or difficult than any other Pokemon game to be honest.

When can you access the Earthquake Tm from the Relic castle?
As soon as you beat the main story. Go back down to the bottom where Alder and Ghetsis were talking, then go right up the sand hill, and there'll be a door. Then there's a maze of rooms which contains Volcarona, one of the Seven Sages, and the stairs back up to the room with Earthquake.

I found it relatively easy, but the last two battles were pretty hard, and Shauntal gave me a bit of trouble. I had no problems at all with the Gym Leaders, though. It's a bit depressing.

Lol! Go near the E4 and then on to white forest/black city and tell me if that's hard or not...

Main game is a breeze; beat it underlevelled with NFEs without even breaking into my revives.

Post game is stupidly hard cause you need every available HM to explore which meant not only training a new team, but training them to higher levels than my original team. (Although I'm not really complaining, it's fun taking down Cynthia's level 75 Milotic with my level 43 Samurott B].)

This game is fairly easy, although I'm taking my time running around catching stuff in-between gym leaders. Got all 3 monkeys just now, actually. All of they gym leaders have been fairly easy as well; I really haven't run into any walls yet. (I have 7 badges, BTW)
Its not EASY per say. Its as easy as you make it, depending on what Pokemon you caught, how much you trained em, what moves they know and all that Jazz.

Cut is only used ONCE for the story. Other then that, the story itself doesnt require you to use any HM's.
That said, it is handy to have something with Strength around to create shortcuts left and right, have something with Fly for obvious reasons and a Surfer. None are required, but Surf can take you to nice goodies, just like Strength can (for example Rock Slide needs you to have Surf and Strength).
That's awesome to hear.
HMs have always been my least favorite part of Pokemon; having to waste 5-8 slots (depending on the game) out of my total 24 move slots on my team was always dumb. I never liked carrying around an HM slave either, so I'd spread the HMs around my team and apart from Surf/Waterfall, they were mostly just a waste of a move slot (Fly could be moderately useful in battle sometimes).
I'm still most likely gonna grab a Flier cause Fly's really convenient to have, though I wish they'd extend Fly to some other Pokemon (I wanted to use my Yanmega and Scyther in previous games, but for some reason, a giant dragonfly/praying mantis can't carry me, though a Pidgey that's 1/5 my size can >.>).

Just beat the flying gym. Not really worried about my levels.

Wotter(Samurott)Lv. 41
Aqua Jet
Surf
Razor Shell
Slash

Elvis(Simisear): Lv. 40
Acrobatics
Fire Blast
Bite
Flame Burst

Zeebz(Zebstrika) Lv.41
Stomp
Discharge
Thunder Wave
Spark

Scrafty Lv.39
Brick Breack
Hi Jump Kick
Headbutt
Crunch

Mandark(Elgyem) Lv.39
Psychic
Headbutt
Hidden Power Poison
Psych Up

I'll probably catch something else, but Im not sure yet.

Currently battling in the battle subway, any good teams that you guys think I should use to get this done faster? It's annoying having to get so much BP for all the items I need.

Archaeos@Flying Jewel + Acrobat did me very well when I played the Japanese game. Catch the lvl 70 Volcarona in N's Castle place and teach it Fire Blast.. and then your starter if it wasn't Tepig! Should be enough to get you BP for Power Items fairly quickly.

Sigilyph is fantastic, but you said you don't want anything that makes the game easy mode... (in that case, I'd dump Darmanitan!)

Mienfoo would be an improvement.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)