Pokémon Black/White in-game discussion

I don't RNG for specific reasons
2. I can't find my SID because I don't have a shiny
Not really a problem, since SID isn't needed to RNG perfect mons at all.

To keep this post on topic, I just beaten Subway Boss on Super Singles Train. I used a cookie-cutter team of Rotom-W/TTar/Chomp and it worked (un)surprisingly well. I plan to win a least 100 battles to get a star on my trainer card.

What is in people's opinion the best starte in-game? I used Samurott in my White run, and it was a complete shit. Serperior in Black was a bit better, although the lack of decent coverage options other than Return and Dragon Tail hurt it somewhat. Still it was leagues ahead of Wotter IME.

Chandelure is useable in game :) I agree it is fun using a team of 5 or 6 pokemon to finish the game, but in reality it makes the game far easier and faster if you only use 2.
Just use starter + haxorus or starter + chandelure or something like that and its really easy.
Just buy a few full restores and you're on your way.
My first play through i leveled a balanced team of 6 pokemon and found the elite four quite difficult; on my second play through i just caught and raised a lonely haxorus as soon as i got surf and proceeded to plow everyone and plow the eite four with a level 70 haxorus with sword dance.
Lv 75 pokemon > 6 level 50 pokemon, enough said

^That's severely overleveled. I mean, exactly how long did it take you to get it to Level 75? I'm sure by that time most other people would have made it through the Elite 4 already despite the larger, weaker team.

Sandile is more better, because he's faster than Scraggy and has good stab and large movepool.
Scraggy doesn't learn Intimidate, he's slow, have to rely on HJK (bad move in non competitive environment)

lolwut
hi jump kick's base power is so beastly why would it be bad
i mean 130BP/90acc STAB off 90 Atk? yes pls

also scraggy arguably has better starting moves (it alrdy has stab faint attack and you can teach it rock smash, brick break comes a few levels later and then so does payback), benefits a lot more from eviolite, and rapes plasma every day.

on the other hand sandile's only real advantage is beating elesa (which blitzle does as well, comes earlier, etc) and his starting moves are shit

its kinda obvious who is better

Scraggy doesn't learn Intimidate, h
He does in Dream World, but that is irrelevant in game. What I meant was get Moxie over Shed Skin. Apologizes on my behalf.

on the other hand sandile's only real advantage is beating elesa (which blitzle does as well, comes earlier, etc) and his starting moves are shit
I'd also say Sandile does better against Skyla.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Moxie Krookodile walks all over most multi-Poké trainers in the game. KO something, then proceed to rip the rest of the team to shreds with increasingly stronger attacks. Slap an Expert Belt on him for extra fun.
Krookodile also has quite a nifty movepool, the star of which being STAB Earthquake. Things like Crunch, Brick Break and Stone Edge are also available, as is Outrage if you're willing to risk confusion.

Stoutland is an excellent pokemon for in-game. It is decently bulky, and it has a great ability in Intimidate. I destroyed the gyms with him.

I don't recommend Simisage however, by the last few gyms it becomes dead weight, Emboar sort of did too IMO with its crap movepool.

its true krookodile > scrafty, but scraggy > sandile, since the latter has bad moves and he doesn't have any existing STABs (outside of maybe dig, i think you get it in the same place?)

also blitzle does better against elesa because
1. occasionally AI fucks up and uses an electric attack on you giving you free spa/spe boost, while it never does that on sandile because its already immune
2. blitzle can paralyse emolga so even if it dies it makes beating them a lot easier

All monkeys are horrible. They learn Acrobatics (their only, or one of two decent attacks) at late lv 31 when everything in wild grass one/two shots them.
Sandile has Bite when you catch it, you get Dig and Rock Tomb at that time too. Sandile also learns Crunch just before evolving. Scraggy is slow and has to wait till 39 for evolution. I think Sandile is better in-game.
That's true, Blitzle is better vs Elesa (Sandile dies too fast to Flying attacks and Rock Tomb has shaky accuracy) but fails to be really useful after Skyla.

Agree with Stoutland being great, very solid mon. His Return is strong because you train him since lv 2-4.

Scraggy has better STABs (Faint Attack then gets Brick Break/Payback shortly) while making better use of Eviolite. Stoutland is great but imo he does have issues midgame where he kind of gets stale (idk, but it happens for me) and ends up getting ditched for Deerling or some other scrub.

As for the monkeys, imo Panpour is somewhat salvageable because of Scald, but it requires you to use a shit starter (Snivy).

As for the monkeys, imo Panpour is somewhat salvageable because of Scald, but it requires you to use a shit starter (Snivy).
No, panpour is not, because simipour looks like a gay fish monkey.

I've noticed that although it evolves very late, bisharp is incredible in-game. Excellent typing and atk.

Is Emboar or samurott better? I can't decide, but Im leaning towards Emboar.

Yeah, I'd like to know which starter people prefer too. I used Oshawott and found it pretty useful, it has a good movepool (especially considering how poor Snivy and Tepig's pools of useful moves are) and Razor Shell is really fun when you get it. He keeps his use later in the game too, since Samurott gets some insanely strong moves such as Megahorn and Revenge. Emboar, on the other hand, learns 1 Fighting attack levelling up (arm thrust lololol) and doesn't have access to another until the Brick Break TM in Icirrus IIRC. His Fire STABs are really weird too; Flame Charge is useful but very weak, Heat Crash is unreliable and Flamethrower comes really late and also uses Emboar's lower offensive stat. Flare Blitz at 62 is way too late for the main story and it has recoil anyway, which is a bit undesirable (though not crippling in-game due to item spam). The thing is though, Fighting STAB absolutely destroys Unova due to the multitude of Darks and Normals used not only by Plasma Grunts but also normal trainers. This alone makes Tepig usable in my book (since a 3-hit Arm Thrust is usually enough to OHKO) and the added usefulness in Pinwheel, around Icirrus and against Lenora is just a bonus. So yeah, which do you guys prefer, Oshawott or Tepig?

Oshawott > Tepig, but Tepig's advantages also cannot be overlooked: Flame Charge is great and helps his speed issues (heat crash sux btw). For what it's worth, Emboar can also use Scald.

My in game teams are as follows:
Darmanitan / Lilligant / Samurott / Excadrill

I tend to teach at least 1 HM move to each Pokemon, but I'm still trying to figure out a good Flying type. What do you think is the better flier in game?
Archeops / Golurk / Unfezant / Braviary / Mandibuzz / Swanna?
I'm leaning towards Braviary.

My in game teams are as follows:
Darmanitan / Lilligant / Samurott / Excadrill

I tend to teach at least 1 HM move to each Pokemon, but I'm still trying to figure out a good Flying type. What do you think is the better flier in game?
Archeops / Golurk / Unfezant / Braviary / Mandibuzz / Swanna?
I'm leaning towards Braviary.
Of the ones listed, I'd go with Archeops. It comes pretty early and can probably hit hard if it's not in Defeatist range. Golurk and Swanna, I think, can be good, too, but Unfezant's stats aren't matched well with the moves it learns and Braviary/Mandibuzz come much too late ingame (right before the Elite Four) to be of much use.

Golurk's pretty cool. It can take some pretty strong hits (I recall using it to take a hit and still have the chance to attack attack a certain endgame fossil...) and it's pretty beefy as well.

It got some good use on some of the elite 4 as well (More than I should have, maybe)

I don't know how it compares, really, but just throwing in my two cents. No idea how good Golurk is but I wouldn't call it bad.

There is the problem of not having Golett until after seven gyms, though. And then longer to evolve it.

The problem I've had with Tepig and Snivy is that they're severely outclassed by just about every pre-E4 fire and grass type (except for Monkeys, Heatmor, Maractus, and arguably Foongus). Liligant and Darmanitan are two of the best Pokemon in-game, Leavanny has a better offenses and a nice Bug STAB for the E4, Whimsicott is just fun, Sawsbuck has a better movepool, Ferrothorn hits hard and has a great defensive typing, and Chandelure has nice immunities and hits absurdly hard.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)