Pokémon Movepool Oddities & Explanations

In the Pokémon universe (or at least PMD) time is controlled by time gears.
Gears= Metal
I don't get why it's weird that Dialga is part steel type. It's just a part of its design. Time isn't associated with dragons either. Dialga is just a metal dragon that happens to be able to control time.
Palkia's type is pretty unfounded to be fair.

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
I was thinking the reasons are that its easy to manipulate Space, (Like Water) but hard to change Time. (Go punch a Steel sheet and tell me if that or time feels harder to change. :P)

Fighting types replies that Steel sheets are easy to bend...
I disagree. My headcannon is that Fighting-types are generally pokemon whose bodies have reach their physical peak and plenitude, hence why Fighting-types generally have high physical attributes which is, usually, directly reflected in their high Attack stat. I'd agree with you if Normal-type moves were also super effective against Steel, but alas they're not for obvious reasons.

What I'm trying to say is: whilst a black-belt would be able to break a brick bare-handed, if I tried it I'd break my hand instead. Pokemon takes that to the next level with Fighting and Steel.

Last edited:
I disagree. My headcannon is that Fighting-types are generally pokemon whose bodies have reach their physical peak and plenitude, hence why Fighting-types generally have high physical attributes which is, usually, directly reflected in their high Attack stat. I'd agree with you if Normal-type moves were also super effective against Steel, but alas they're not for obvious reasons.

What I'm trying to say is: whilst a black-belt would be able to break a brick bare-handed, if I tried it I'd break my hand instead. Pokemon takes that to the next level with Fighting and Steel.
*headcanon

I'm pretty sure Steel is something you can't break through with your bare fists no matter how strong you are. Even something like a really horny adult male chimpanzee on our planet couldn't break through there. Pokemon would have to be as absurdly strong as the Pokedex implies (and the Pokedex is notorious for overexaggerating its own information) to be able to punch through there.

Fighting types can't break through Steel beams.

I honestly just accept it for what it is to the point that it just somehow makes sense to me.

And forgive me for not wanting to go back to all of those posts, but what on earth is up with Poison's weaknesses? I suppose Psychic types represent the minds behind those who can come up with an antivenom or something. But can't Psychic types represent intelligence as a whole and therefore be able to overcome any obstacle with the brains to do it? And I can't even figure out Ground.

It's not actually breaking steel, but bending it. I was just trying to illustrate my point. And say what you want, but you cannot disprove the pokedex no matter how nonsensical it is. "No way Slugma's ( or is it Magcargo's? I forget ) body is hot as the surface of the sun" -- it controls its body temperature; boom, explained. So yeah, unless directly stated otherwise, some fighting-type pokemon are that strong. But that's neither nor there.

Now about the poison-type weaknesses, I have a few guesses:

Ground - Poison-types are heavily associated with garbage, noxious and radioactive material, all of which are usually dumped in sanitary landfills. That means they're buried, compacted, and covered with land. So the ground type weakness makes enough sense to me.

Psychic - Now this one is tricky. Maybe it's about the whole thing regarding mind over body? Basically, the placebo effect: if you think you're getting better then you truly believe you are being treated to feel better. Psychic types could simply have enough brainpower to overcome such physical ailments, like Poison, or even break them down entirely.

Last edited:
I am puzzled about a certain Pokemon line that can learn Hydro Pump.

There are only a few Pokemon that can learn the move and are not Water-type, but they have some kind of connection to water:
- Lugia is implied to have been living underwater for a very long time
- Castform can turn into a Water-type
- Masquerain evolves from a Water-type Pokemon
- Rotom-Wash (Gen IV only) is possessing an appliance that uses water, and it eventually became a Water-type.
- Dragalge evolves from a Water-type Pokemon

... and then there's the Bagon line. It has absolutely no connection whatsoever with water. Well, other than part of its name being taken from "salamander"...

Then why do they get Hydro Pump as an Egg Move?

There are only a few Pokemon that can learn the move and are not Water-type, but they have some kind of connection to water:
- Rotom-Wash (Gen IV only) is possessing an appliance that uses water, and it eventually became a Water-type.

... and then there's the Bagon line. It has absolutely no connection whatsoever with water. Well, other than part of its name being taken from "salamander"...

I always choked it up to the whole "Dragons are mysterious and can do what they wish" thing. At the same time, Bagon was originally found in a part of a cave with a nice pool of water in the middle so maybe it was always adapted to spewing water.

I recently found out that Sneasel can learn Surf.

That's so weird.
It proved surprisingly useful to me in a Platinum run. I needed a surfer and I didn't always have Vaporeon on the team (HM slave and other reasons), and the thing about Weavile is that it really only needs Ice Punch, Night Slash and that's it - it essentially has a free slot. So I slapped Surf on it.
And then it turned out it could OHKO Bertha's Golem and Rhyperior

It proved surprisingly useful to me in a Platinum run. I needed a surfer and I didn't always have Vaporeon on the team (HM slave and other reasons), and the thing about Weavile is that it really only needs Ice Punch, Night Slash and that's it - it essentially has a free slot. So I slapped Surf on it.
And then it turned out it could OHKO Bertha's Golem and Rhyperior
while I knew it learned surf, I had no clue it would be able to bring down Rypherior AND Golem. I always thought its sp. atk was waaay too bad for that.

Dratini got Hydro Pump as an Event move in Gen II, though it makes sense it a way seeing as Dratini and Dragonair are aquatic and already learn a lot of water moves.

while I knew it learned surf, I had no clue it would be able to bring down Rypherior AND Golem. I always thought its sp. atk was waaay too bad for that.
Yup, surprised me too. I guess it's just because Golem and Rhyperior's Special Defence are just as atrocious as Weavile's Special Attack; so it evens out and leaves the double weakness to a 95 bp attack to do the rest.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Get this, Rotom Heat can't learn Flamethrower yet Watchog CAN
None of the Rotom forms can learn other moves of their type aside the ones they learn when changing to that form. I get why, though I kind of wish they gave you a choice of a few moves of that type for Rotom to learn (at least two options that's between reliable but decent damage (Flamethrower, Ice Beam, Energy Ball, Surf, & Air Slash) and strong but risky (Overheat, Blizzard, Leaf Storm, Hydro Pump, & Hurricane)). Also when turning it back to normal Rotom shouldn't it learn a Ghost-type attack? Like either Shadow Ball or Night Shade would probably work.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Got a few more oddities:

Sonic Boom: Pidgeot (can fly at mach 2), Whismur family (they're gimmick is making loud noise), Latios & Latias (they're based on jet planes).
Tri Attack: Exeggcute family, Weezing, Metang & Metagross, Probopass, Vanilluxe, Klink family, Binacle family
Acupressure: Beedrill, Cacnea family, Ferrothorn, Chespin family
Heal Bell: Bronzong, Chingling (through level-up, it can get it via Tutor but why should it need to when its a bell)
Mind Reader: Oddly not a lot of Psychic-types learn it, infact more Fighting-types do. Don't say they shouldn't get it, but considering what it is then shouldn't Psychic-types with telepathic or clairvoyant abilities also get it? Here's my list: Abra family, Mewtwo, Espeon, Uxie, Gothita family, Elgyem family, Natu family, Ralts family, Delphox, Inkay family, and Latias.
Reflect Type: Bronzor (its a mirror)
Mirror Coat: Latias (its down is mirror-like)

Also Yungoos should totally be getting Trump Card. :P

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)