Pokémon Red, Blue and Yellow to be re-released for the 3DS Virtual Console

There WERE ways that people made to "update" Pokemon and "transfer" then from Gen II to Gen III, but it's effectively remaking the Pokemon from scratch while doubling the IVs while giving the Gen III Pokemon the moves of the Gen II Pokemon. It was never officially supported and I doubt it will be supported now.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Here's a small list of problems with transferring a Pokemon from Gen I to Gen VI:

1. It'll need to get a gender.
2. Need to get an Ability.
3. Need to get a Nature.
4. Figure out how it'll Special stat will split. (since in Gen I the Special Attack and Special Defense stat both came off one stat called "Special". Now in Gen II they did it by basing both SpA and SpD off the Special IVs and that Pokemon's BST. Though IVs have changed since then as I'll explain below so doing that ain't possible)
5. IVs would just to a nightmare to figure out how'll those translate. (In Gen I & II the IVs were 4 bytes long for each of the five stats ranging each stat's value from 0 to 15. Gen III completely redid the system which is used now, each of the six stats are five bytes long now giving a value range of 0 to 31).
6. EVs have a similar problem (basically in Gen I & II there was really no "limit" to how high EVs can go, the game stopping at 65355 for each of the five stats. Gen III made the change of 510 EVs total and an individual stat's max of 255 (252 in Gen VI but that's more for efficiency sake as nothing changes). I suppose they could reset it back to 0 though).

And I'm sure there's other stuff I'm missing. Simply put, the data structure of what made a Pokemon has radically changed too much. If they want to "transfer" a Pokemon from the Gen I to Gen VI the easiest way would be to do a Pokemon Dream World thing, "upload" the information of the Gen I Pokemon to the Pokemon Bank and then have the bank recreate a Pokemon from scratch just using the nickname and Moves of the Gen I Pokemon. Whether it'll be any good or not who knows (or if they may want to do something special with it like giving it its Hidden Ability), but if you just want it for memory sake that's an option.

Here's a small list of problems with transferring a Pokemon from Gen I to Gen VI:

1. It'll need to get a gender.
2. Need to get an Ability.
3. Need to get a Nature.
4. Figure out how it'll Special stat will split. (since in Gen I the Special Attack and Special Defense stat both came off one stat called "Special". Now in Gen II they did it by basing both SpA and SpD off the Special IVs and that Pokemon's BST. Though IVs have changed since then as I'll explain below so doing that ain't possible)
5. IVs would just to a nightmare to figure out how'll those translate. (In Gen I & II the IVs were 4 bytes long for each of the five stats ranging each stat's value from 0 to 15. Gen III completely redid the system which is used now, each of the six stats are five bytes long now giving a value range of 0 to 31).
6. EVs have a similar problem (basically in Gen I & II there was really no "limit" to how high EVs can go, the game stopping at 65355 for each of the five stats. Gen III made the change of 510 EVs total and an individual stat's max of 255 (252 in Gen VI but that's more for efficiency sake as nothing changes). I suppose they could reset it back to 0 though).

And I'm sure there's other stuff I'm missing. Simply put, the data structure of what made a Pokemon has radically changed too much. If they want to "transfer" a Pokemon from the Gen I to Gen VI the easiest way would be to do a Pokemon Dream World thing, "upload" the information of the Gen I Pokemon to the Pokemon Bank and then have the bank recreate a Pokemon from scratch just using the nickname and Moves of the Gen I Pokemon. Whether it'll be any good or not who knows (or if they may want to do something special with it like giving it its Hidden Ability), but if you just want it for memory sake that's an option.
Totally forgot about the EVs :/ That's gonna be the main problem. The Special to Special Attack and Defense shouldn't be that bad since it was already done from RBY to GSC

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Sorry, didn't see it. I guess you could use the Special IV for both Special stats?
Even if you took the Special Stat, split it into two and doubled its value you come across another problem: it'll never be perfect. Gen I & II IVs range to 0 to 15, Gen III and up goes from 0 to 31. At best, doing what I suggested of doubling the IV value, would have the Pokemon at a near-but-not-perfect IV of 30. Sure it's still good, but that'll also mean a Pokemon raised from Gen III and on to have perfect stats would always be better than it. And that's if it's lucky to have a 15 in a stat, there's no Breeding in Gen I so what Pokemon you got is it.

Is it doable, yes. But you'd essentially be recreating the Pokemon for scratch and in that case you might as well just randomly generate a Pokemon of the same species which would be a lot easier (and more than a 50% chance of it coming out better).

So, it was just revealed there would be no save states in this game and when trading or battling you cannot access the home menu. It also turns out that after you select cable club, you're brought to a 3DS menu on the touch screen that allows you to search or find trade/battle partners like you'd find in the modern games.

And there's our current new information to report.

So, it was just revealed there would be no save states in this game and when trading or battling you cannot access the home menu. It also turns out that after you select cable club, you're brought to a 3DS menu on the touch screen that allows you to search or find trade/battle partners like you'd find in the modern games.

And there's our current new information to report.
>No save states
>Tauros and Chansey are still the worst ever
:((((((((

In all seriousness in a game focused around multiplayer it does make sense and I'm not entirely sure why I didn't forsee it earlier. Then again they could have just made it so immediately after you trade or battle it overwrites the save state...

>No save states
>Tauros and Chansey are still the worst ever
:((((((((

In all seriousness in a game focused around multiplayer it does make sense and I'm not entirely sure why I didn't forsee it earlier. Then again they could have just made it so immediately after you trade or battle it overwrites the save state...
Well, if they don't remove the glitches we still have the Safari Zone glitch allowing us to find Pokemon on the coast of Cinnabar

Also, there is no save data backup, but that's again something that's not surprising since otherwise you can easily clone.

Last edited:

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
At least we know for sure that battling is a thing. Here's hoping they fix the desync glitch.

Karxrida

DHR-107 it would basically have gone like this.

1.) Make a save state
2.) Trade Pokemon to another game.
3.) Load the save state.

Boom. Super easy cloning.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
We also have details on how the wireless features specifically work. When you go to the Cable Club, a new menu will appear on the touch screen. The first option is to Connect to a Partner, which sends the signal out while the second option is to Search for a Partner, where it will look for connections being requested.
I have a feeling you could have combined that into one option.

Well they've release footage of Pokemon Yellow on the 3ds. Video for anyone interested here:
I hope those sounds spikes are just due to faulty recording.

Don't worry, it's just from bad recording/video playback. Gamexplain has videos themselves and there's no sound spikes of the sort in them.

Karxrida

Weird that they turned off attack animations, but I guess they wanted to maximize the use of their time.

freezai

Live for the Applause
is a Tiering Contributor
I never played Gen 1 or Gen 2 but I loved every bit of Gen 3. Leaf Green and Emerald in particular were my favorites. That being said, should I pick up pokemon Blue or Red? There will defintely not be a nostalgia factor me and if my bae Leafgreen is overall better than gen 1, is it even worth buying?

I never played Gen 1 or Gen 2 but I loved every bit of Gen 3. Leaf Green and Emerald in particular were my favorites. That being said, should I pick up pokemon Blue or Red? There will defintely not be a nostalgia factor me and if my bae Leafgreen is overall better than gen 1, is it even worth buying?
Considering how cheap it is it might be nice to see how it all started; but yeah essentially FRLG are just better versions of RB. If you're looking for a different experience all these could offer you would be the infamous glitches and possibly Yellow's differences with RB.

As much as I would love one of those special 2DS, I prefer my Year of Luigi silver XL 3DS.

But if we get a Pokemon themed NX, I'll buy one of those.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
The prices of each game have been revealed for Europe.
£8.99/9.99 Euros

... ouch. I wasn't expecting it to cost that much...
Is this for the bundle or each individual game? If its each that's extortionate :(

Individual game. I remember seeing an Amazon listing in America for $9.99 for each game. Considering they normally charge between $3 and $5 for these games, it's pretty outrageous. Probably they justify adding the new trading element or something to charge more...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)