Pokémon XY General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
anyone thought of the possibility to have an mixed type gym this time?

edit: not mixed like as any pokemon can go....but as a theme without an especific type...like flowers pokemons(mostly grass types but could be a fairy too)...ou turtle trainer(blastoise, torkoal, carracosta, shuckle =p)...i think a themed gym would be cool

That trailer seems to have shed some light on other details, too. Though expected, it all but confirms Vivillion as Viola's ace pokemon.

Looking at Clemont's gym and the fact that he owns a Bunnelby also makes me think either Normal or Ground for his type. Interesting.

EDIT: Actually, I retract that about Clemont. His gym in-game (which is what matters) seems far more electric to me than normal. Also, his badge is a prism. Light = Electricity.
For the sake of argument, we have precedent for gyms in his style not being Electric or Steel: HG/SS Viridian Gym, which is a multi-type gym. Dark, lots of techy lighting. Akane's name means "bright" in Japanese, and she was Normal, which reminds me of light shining through a prism. There's also been no unifying visual theme for normal gyms:

- Whitney (Akane) had a Clefairy-themed gym.
- Norman had a puzzle/quiz theme.
- Lenora was a stately museum.
- Cheren stole Roxanne's school theme.

Archaeology has mostly been associated with Rock, Quizzes were previously with Fire. Normal's kind of wild-card-y.

Last edited:
Excited for the anime for once.. And I don't even watch it normally.. D:

I do agree with your theory though, the amount of evidence for your argument, it's hard not to. Why would an electric gym leader use bunnlebe??

Viola looks sassy, another thing I seem to have in common with her, haha.

I really don't like speculating about Pokemon and their use competitively when they haven't been released yet since we tend to look at new Pokemon in a vacuum of our current rule sets. That said, the more I look at Doublade, the more I get excited for it. We already know of three very powerful attacks Doublade is getting in the form of Shadow Sneak, Swords Dance, and Sacred Sword. Despite the new Dark and Ghost weaknesses introduced, Ghost / Steel is still amazing defensive typing with a mere four weaknesses and a boatload of resistances including a resistance to popular coverage combos like Fighting + Ice and Fighting + Rock.

It is, sadly, lacking a few resistances that were important this gen. Water sticks out the most. Key weaknesses to Fire Blast and Earthquake are also pretty big. Still, it all seems like elements that can be worked around. For example, Hydreigon has amazing defensive synergy with Doublade. They not only resist all of the attacks the other is weak to, between the two of them, there's a resistance for every attack type.

I'm really hopeful for Doublade and I can't wait to take it out for a spin!

Last edited:
To be fair, Kingler is not a Hermit crab, so while he does indeed have a shell it most likely grows as a part of him(like real crabs), kind of like our bones. So smashing it would likely kill him.
This is true of most of the things that get Shell Smash to begin with. It's a very powerful move, that's why it's not handed out just willy-nilly.

Sheath is still a protecting casing for a blade.

Also why the hell doesn't Kingler but gorebyss's punk ass does!?
Because SS Kingler would go straight to Ubers :P

You know what would be really cool? If all Kalos starters got a boosting move to make them better. With the way Braixen is going, I can see it using Quiver Dance (I WOULD BE IN LOVE). I could see Quillidan with either Shell Smash or maybe Swords Dance to fit the knightly theme. Frogadier should get either Swords Dance, Hone Claws, or maybe (hopefully) a similar move to Dragon Dance....but Agility would be the one that fits it most.

Because SS Kingler would go straight to Ubers :p

You know what would be really cool? If all Kalos starters got a boosting move to make them better. With the way Braixen is going, I can see it using Quiver Dance (I WOULD BE IN LOVE). I could see Quillidan with either Shell Smash or maybe Swords Dance to fit the knightly theme. Frogadier should get either Swords Dance, Hone Claws, or maybe (hopefully) a similar move to Dragon Dance....but Agility would be the one that fits it most.
I could get behind a strong water type physical attacker.

Quiver Dance is called Butterfly Dance in Japanese, so I doubt we'll see the move on Braixen. Although it would be sweet to have a good boosting move for it!
I know that its Butterfly Dance in Japanese, but that doesn't really explain how Lilligant gets it. If we're going off of how elegant Lilligant is, I bet Braixen would fit as well. Lets also not forget that more moth-based Pokemon get 'Butterfly Dance' than actual butterfly-based Pokemon XD

I know that its Butterfly Dance in Japanese, but that doesn't really explain how Lilligant gets it. If we're going off of how elegant Lilligant is, I bet Braixen would fit as well. Lets also not forget that more moth-based Pokemon get 'Butterfly Dance' than actual butterfly-based Pokemon XD
Lilligant only gets Quiver Dance because it is (at least partly) based off of a dancer, which is why its level up movepool consists of only a few basic Grass-type moves and three "dance" moves.

Sacred Sword and Shadow Sneak together on Honedge/Doublade means unresisted coverage. Well done Game Freak!

I wonder if they'll get Meteor Mash as a steel STAB. That would kinda make sense with its lower accuracy working with No Guard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 20)