Pokémon XY General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not familiar. Which games would need RNG . . . and which games would their be such a dedicated fanbase for RNG (Pokemon is the only game I know of with such a fanbase and last I checked X&Y are not out yet)?
Golden Sun: Lost Age, Dragon Quest IX and as already mentioned, the Fire Emblem games are the first ones that come to mind.

Etrian Odyssey III also had a RNG exploit... but only for like one boss.

"Yay, now we can stop dragons more easily! Yay!"
What we forgot: Flygon will probably go RU, Druddigon falls to NU, and Altaria squeezes out of existence.

Poor Flygon. ):
Don't be so sure yet, we don't know what ew kinds of toys they'll get in X and Y, and I have a feeling most fairy types will be locked away in the upper tiers

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
Something with an effeminate (read:pussy) name leanings like 'fairy' being supereffective against DRAGONS doesn't sit well with my ears and common sense.
Couldn't they have gone with a snazzier name like 'Lunar' or 'Mystic'?

Or do they want to expand pokemon's fan base to 7 yo doll girls.

Something with an effeminate (read:pussy) name leanings like 'fairy' being supereffective against DRAGONS doesn't sit well with my ears and common sense.

I'm fine with Fairy... all things considered, Fairies have been viewed as many different things in mythology. Some interpretations directly associate them as demons.

Now a demon, could easily fell a dragon. Think about it.

Yeah! Because! Women? PFfft Dragons!

Feminine qualities shouldn't tamper your expectations of ability.

Manaphy

Throughout heaven and earth, I alone am family guy
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Those don't sound better, just a lot edgier and they make less sense.

Anyway, since we know for a fact that Fairy is good against Dragons hopefully the metagame will be more balanced in regards to types (as in, demoting Dragon and improving types like Poison and Psychic).

Soul Fly

is a Contributor Alumnus
I'm fine with Fairy... all things considered, Fairies have been viewed as many different things in mythology. Some interpretations directly associate them as demons.

Now a demon, could easily fell a dragon. Think about it.
I'd hate to break the bubble but only a very minuscule minority of the people in the world posses that view.

Here's what 99.9% of the world imagines when I use the word fairy

Right, I completely see it slaying a garchomp and a haxorus/hydreigon duo in my mind right now.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
ALL HAIL GARDEVOIR! ALL HAIL GARDEVOIR! ALL HAIL GARDEVOIR!!

Sorry... I will shut up momentarily.

So... Fairy type is real. And it's called Fairy.

I might have lost a bet or two. Anybody know any good recipes for hat stew?

At least, the Sound type rumour is debunked... for this generation. If Noivern isn't Sound type (confirmed by the official site to be Flying/Dragon in that order(!)), then nothing is.

EDIT 2: The official site states Gardevoir, Marill and Jigglypuff all retain their typing, with Fairy being their secondary typing.
I was thinking that they would translate it into something else in order to avoid all those comments about "gay" =.=

But in the end, they didn't change it, and there's a huge uproar from people whose knowledge towards fairies were limited to popular media.

I'd hate to break the bubble but only a very minuscule minority of the people in the world posses that view.

Right, I completely see it slaying a garchomp and a haxorus/hydreigon duo in my mind right now.
Clearly the world needs to watch Pan's Labyrinth, then.

just like you completely see an azumarill slaying a garchomp and a haxorus/hydreigon duo in your mind right now? yet it does. cb huge power ice punch up the ass. gg dragons.

get your 'ewww girly' or 'ewww cute' misconceptions out of your head because those have been there since the dawn of pokemon.

What's with the hate you conservatives?
I love it Fairy because it sounds magical and DRAGON FALLS TO MAGIC.
Lunar? They don't come from the moon.
Mystic? See: Ghost.

Cresselia~~

just like you completely see an azumarill slaying a garchomp and a haxorus/hydreigon duo in your mind right now? yet it does. cb huge power ice punch up the ass. gg dragons.

get your 'ewww girly' or 'ewww cute' misconceptions out of your head because those have been there since the dawn of pokemon.
But sadly, I would say that the majority of the people in this world, are rather shallow.

I don't know about kids these days, but I doubt they read any traditional mythological stories. They'd probably generalize the fairies as feminine stupid Disney stuff.

I don't mind the fairy type. As for it being super effective vs dragons, fairys and dragons are both imaginary creatures. I suspect Dragon might also be super effective against fairy types as well.

I'm also glad some of the old pokemon are getting some upgrades. I wonder how Gardevoir will be affected by it's new type?

Clearly the world needs to watch Pan's Labyrinth, then.
I guess if you consider Fauns as fairies. It IS an amazing movie though, everyone should watch it.

Soul Fly said:

I think a better way to put it would be, the first thing that comes to everyone's mind.

Those kinds of fairies can, believe or not, possess some potent power as well though. They're able to weave spells that confuse or befuddle. Also some fairies, like Slyphs, harness the raw power of the elements.

Also like, nearly every RPG has those kinds of fairies as enemies and they're always a pain to fight.

Actually the moon plays a big part in most these mons but whatever. Yo fairies, we Dragons hear ya, we survived ice attacks being whored all over OU, we can cover our asses and utrn you into dust.

Good luck.

Dark Fallen Angel

FIDDLESTICKS IS ALSO GOOD ON MID!

Strangely, Celebi is cute and girly, but no one cares about that when they are going to use him to wall Keldeo and Sheer Force Landorus.

I do not care if fairies are "effeminate" or anyone of these, I only care about if they are good, preferably competitively but also in-game. The hate messages that I read (especially on facebook) about "how can a little fairy beat a big dragon" are making me getting tired.

of course, and i do find that really sad - but at the same time, something cute or feminine kicking major arse has always been present in pokemon games - jynx? lapras? espeon? in the show, pikachu especially. something being cute or feminine has never equalled weak in pokemon.

I guess if you consider Fauns as fairies. It IS an amazing movie though, everyone should watch it.
No, actually. I consider fairies fairies.

There are so many interpretations of fairies that it's impossible to struggle with the type's name based on preconceived notions. I don't understand that bit at all. They don't exist, so why does it matter if the name is stretched to encompass many different symbols or creatures?

Soul Fly

is a Contributor Alumnus

I don't have problem with the mons but with the names.

Even a vannilish can kill a garchomp, I'm not talking about that. We have seen a lot of that.
But a typing has to fundamentally make sense. Like some folklore or the food chain or nature balance cycles. Fairy is like... completely random and yeah you already said it Girly as fuck. Shove the arguments aside, popular conceptions always stand out in these scenarios.

Nothing I can't live with but sounds annoying.

Enough of that.
-----------------------------

And people stop talking about a Dragon Nerf. As long as Fairy doesn't RESIST dragon then the way we use dragons is fundamentally unchanged. We are just getting 5 new pokemon that can kill it with a 2x effective STAB. same stuff we've been doing since ages by targeting 4x weaknesses or the weakness of its secondary typing.

The next best dragon nerf we can get is Fairy resisting Fighting/Fire. That will make it harder for Dragons to get Perfect coverage. And Fairy resisting Fighting sounds legit.

Cresselia~~

of course, and i do find that really sad - but at the same time, something cute or feminine kicking major arse has always been present in pokemon games - jynx? lapras? espeon? in the show, pikachu especially. something being cute or feminine has never equalled weak in pokemon.
Wow, never perceived Lapras as feminine. xD
Espeon thing is true.
Gen one speaking, Jynx was epic.
Clefable was quite nice in Gen 4, or was it Gen 3...
Eviolite Misdreavus can take people ages to take down.

Especially with the presence of variable moves, ghost moves and psychic powers, I don't perceive feminine as weak in Pokemon at all, only that there weren't many to choose from.

I really think that Pokemon staffs sort of want to balance out the gamer's genders a bit. They tried it during Diamond Pearl, but I guess their designs messed it up. They thought that those were pretty, but girls didn't.

Moreover, the overuse of dragons do have to be sorted.
Back then in Gen 1 when Psychic were too strong, they introduced dark and steel in Gen 2 to neutralize it.
So I find it perfectly acceptable, and even crucial.
However, I personally find the Japanese word, Yosei is more towards Pixie, despite it has been translated into fairy for many many years in other media.
I would say if they changed it to Mystic/ Pixie/ Magic/ Lunar, it could be better. (And settle the people who think it's "gay")

I would moan though, about how Ice is getting one more weakness-- just what? why does it have to be ice?
Why do they have to be so unfair to ice? Or is it because Ice is SE against a lot of stuff?

No, actually. I consider fairies fairies.

There are so many interpretations of fairies that it's impossible to struggle with the type's name based on preconceived notions. I don't understand that bit at all. They don't exist, so why does it matter if the name is stretched to encompass many different symbols or creatures?
Ah, right forgot about that... its been a long time since I last watched it.

But yeah, that was the point I was trying to make. Fairies don't really have a true definition. Fairy as a type, was likely chosen to represent mythical creatures... that aren't dragons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 11)