Pokémon XY General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
So if Pokemon Bank (& Transporter) can be downloaded only after December 27th, we kinda have two "problems" for two months.

1) We have two months without our previous gens mons.
2) All 700+ mons won't probably be available in X & Y, especially not all the legenaries. I also wanted to say the starters, but then again, we do get Gen 1 starters.

I can live with this though for two months, as I will be casually be playing these games for a while I guess, but it's going to be interesting how all the new movesets will be discovered. We might get new info two months after the release lol. Perhaps we even have something like Hoenn 200 for two months.

At what point of the game will Sycamore give out the Kanto starter? I saw some posts mentioning using Blastoise during playthrough.

MegaCharizard certainly has benefits and drawbacks, but it depends on how badly you want to treat Drought like your ace-in-the-hole. I'll bet that once a Pokémon is MEvo'd, it stays in its Mega state even after being switched out, so you don't have to continually MEvo the thing with each switch-in if it was moved back to your party after it's first use. If this is true, you can start with MegaCharizard on your first turn to set up Drought and then call him back out any time the weather gets changed with no major hassle.

yo if we have to pay for it why do we need to wait two months to use it? two months is a long time to go without your competitive mons from prev gens; i want to hop on x/y gbu asap and try out the new meta without having to breed shit endlessly because i know for a fact they're not going to fix ivs until x/y2

e: this is especially important for people going to vgcs where we're practicing under official time constraints, as well as the rest of you guys since sims probably wont support x/y for a few weeks
Prolly the reason they aren't releasing it right with the new games is because there's no way of restricting access to the software in-game and they want to replicate limiting players to new Pokémon before getting to the Poke-transfer machine.

Plus, most casuals take at least a month to finish the main story, so almost everyone playing will have completed the main game by about the time PokeTransport releases, effectively re-creating being limited from your old Pokémon during the main storyline.

Yeah, the new Pokemon could be an Absol preevo..... Or it could just be an unrelated Pokemon with absolutely no connection to Absol at all. I mean, Game Freak was criticized around D/P era for taking designs too far.

Prolly the reason they aren't releasing it right with the new games is because there's no way of restricting access to the software in-game and they want to replicate limiting players to new Pokémon before getting to the Poke-transfer machine.

Plus, most casuals take at least a month to finish the main story, so almost everyone playing will have completed the main game by about the time PokeTransport releases, effectively re-creating being limited from your old Pokémon during the main storyline.
if i have to pay for it why shouldn't i be able to swamp the game with my prev gen mons if i wanted to? i'm paying for it after all. note how it's not bundled in the game to begin with like any other game. not only does this mean they're adding it as an afterthought (which is rather insulting imo), it's blatant money grubbing, as well as the fact that years from now the 'cloud' service probably won't exist for people like me who will probably keep transferring long after this gen is over with, if only because i still breed in emerald.

e: as well as kiddos years from now that will feel nostalgia for gen 5, isn't that a scary thought for you?

e2: if it isn't obvious i'm legitimately mad about how they're handling poketransfer

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Or the application is still in development and won't be finalized for release until December 27th. They've also said that they plan to keep this service running for use in future games.

Calm down guys, seriously. You're acting like this is some personal vendetta Game Freak has against you.

Have anyone noticed this? Female Magnezone.
To give a serious response to this, every Pokemon has a PID, a long string of numbers that determines aspects of a Pokemon like its ability, shininess, and gender. The games use the last two hexcidecimals of a PID to determine gender as descrived here, unless the Pokemon is always a certain gender / genderless, in which case that check is ignored. My guess is this program had Magnezone's gender logged as the typical 50/50 M/F split instead of ignoring it and displayed Magnezone as female.

i'm mainly pissed about how i have to pay for something that has been free in 2 previous versions, so a free application is by no means out of the question. they actively thought 'hmm, we could probably make MORE money off of pokemon! all we have to do is specifically target people who have played our games before and voila, easy cash!' nevermind about how cheap it is, why should i even have to pay for this in the first place?

if i have to pay for it why shouldn't i be able to swamp the game with my prev gen mons if i wanted to? i'm paying for it after all. note how it's not bundled in the game to begin with like any other game. not only does this mean they're adding it as an afterthought, it's blatant money grubbing, as well as the fact that years from now the 'cloud' service probably won't exist for people like me who will probably keep transferring long after this gen is over with, if only because i still breed in emerald.

e: as well as kiddos years from now that will feel nostalgia for gen 5, isn't that a scary thought for you?
At least it's not like that skylanders shit. They make ya buy the game, then the characters so you can play exclusive levels and shit. Additional content is fine, but shoving it in front of kids faces like lollies near Target's entrance, practically forcing parents to buy the shit is over the top. You should just be glad it's only one aspect of the game and the price seems decent enough. Worrying about what it might be like in X amount of years (no pun intended) isn't gonna change anything.

Anyway I can see a lot of potential in this. Think what's worse, having to pay $10 or whatever once a year to use poke bank or having to fork out $200-250 for a second handheld so you can transfer your own stuff. And then to do the same thing when the next console arrives.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
You are getting both applications for the same price. For a measly $5, you will have access to 3,000 Pokémon worth of storage, the ability to sort Pokémon, the ability to trade Pokémon between games without needing to purchase another 3DS for $120-200, the ability to migrate/download whole boxes of Pokémon, etc. You aren't just getting the ability to transfer Pokémon. People paid for and enjoyed Pokémon Box Ruby and Sapphire, this isn't any different.

At least it's not like that skylanders shit. They make ya buy the game, then the characters so you can play exclusive levels and shit. Additional content is fine, but shoving it in front of kids faces like lollies near Target's entrance, practically forcing parents to buy the shit is over the top. You should just be glad it's only one aspect of the game and the price seems decent enough. Worrying about what it might be like in X amount of years (no pun intended) isn't gonna change anything.

Anyway I can see a lot of potential in this. Think what's worse, having to pay $10 or whatever once a year to use poke bank or having to fork out $200-250 for a second handheld so you can transfer your own stuff. And then to do the same thing when the next console arrives.
Agreed, replays will be more rewarding as you will always have your previous guys backed up.

i'm mainly pissed about how i have to pay for something that has been free in 2 previous versions, so a free application is by no means out of the question. they actively thought 'hmm, we could probably make MORE money off of pokemon! all we have to do is specifically target people who have played our games before and voila, easy cash!'
Or they thought "Here's something cool we can do and it also solves the problem of transferring Pokemon."

"Offering that service for free wouldn't be cost effective, though. There's development and upkeep to think about. Plus it would need to be adapted for future generations."

"You're right. Let's charge a low fee to make sustaining it viable."

It's a company that wants to make a profit. That doesn't mean they're actively trying to screw their fans over, though. The fee is extremely small and it's completely justified. If you don't like it, feel free to transfer during the trial period and never touch it again.

Meanwhile, I'll be enjoying the fact I don't have to buy a second console just to trade between two versions I own and can easily back everything up if I decide to reset. Not to mention 3000 extra slots is great.

if i have to pay for it why shouldn't i be able to swamp the game with my prev gen mons if i wanted to? i'm paying for it after all. note how it's not bundled in the game to begin with like any other game. not only does this mean they're adding it as an afterthought (which is rather insulting imo), it's blatant money grubbing, as well as the fact that years from now the 'cloud' service probably won't exist for people like me who will probably keep transferring long after this gen is over with, if only because i still breed in emerald.

e2: if it isn't obvious i'm legitimately mad about how they're handling poketransfer
Could you BE any more critical? Pokémon Bank isn't the same as the traditional Poke Transfer, because it's an expanded PC box that allows for moving Pokémon around on one device through a cloud. This actually saves you the effort of investing in a second DS or finding a friend to do transfers with. Subscriptions in a cloud are just how everyone handles downloadable software nowadays, and a lot of people like the small installments instead of shelling out the entire cost of the software. And why would you call it an "afterthought" if it's common knowledge that 3DS games can't interact with DS games, and they had no way of getting a transfer service to work in-game? I don't understand why you seem to think that you'll just be wasting money on it when they move to the next generation and possibly abandon this service (they'll probably update it to work with future games instead, it's easy to see this being around for a while), because it is an important part of the transfer process. If both transferring and your Pokémon from the Hoenn region are that important, I don't get why you aren't at least content that they tried to make it possible to keep moving them up.
So really, of course they're going to charge for it. It's just good business. Would anyone in their right mind be a webmaster for this service as charity work?

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
By the way... is it confirmed that downloading Pokémon Bank will cost money? Because the official site says "Poké Transporter", apparently a more direct Gen.-V-to-Gen-VI transfer application, is said to be free, but "linked" to Pokémon Bank. The way I see it, you will only be charged for long-term storage of Pokémon, rather than the use of the apps themselves.

By the way... is it confirmed that downloading Pokémon Bank will cost money? Because the official site says "Poké Transporter", apparently a more direct Gen.-V-to-Gen-VI transfer application, is said to be free, but "linked" to Pokémon Bank. The way I see it, you will only be charged for long-term storage of Pokémon, rather than the use of the apps themselves.
Poke Transfer is free, Poke Bank costs a yearly fee of 500 yen (5$). You need Poke Bank to use Poke Transfer.

Edit: To be more clear, they are both free apps but one you have to pay to use yearly.

Can we talk about defensive Mega Venusaur?

He can come in on almost all fighting type pokemon and just set up with whatever boosting move he wants.

Sorry, but when has this been confirmed?

No, Chlorophyll would still have been the better ability. No Leftovers means you are a shit wall, at the very least you need fast recovery to make up for it.

Duuuuuude I totally forgot that event. Finally Weather Ball Bulbasaur will have a use!

Besides...

We vagina now.
Magnezone is female now????

Can we talk about defensive Mega Venusaur?

He can come in on almost all fighting type pokemon and just set up with whatever boosting move he wants.
not only that but with thick fat he can now take neutral hits from ice and fire. only problem is he can not switch in as mega he has to do that later...

not only that but with thick fat he can now take neutral hits from ice and fire. only problem is he can not switch in as mega he has to do that later...
He can just switch into a Fighting type attack like Mach Punch or Drain Punch, then he can Mega evolve. I have a feeling he is going to be better defensively than Ferrothorn.

It would be the server that does the checking. I'm also fairly sure that their hack checks will check legality only and not legitimacy as a "perfect hack" is hard to tell apart from a really lucky catch/breed.
Huh...I was thinking about that in my above post. We won't know what these "checks" are until the game comes out, so there is no sense worrying about it. They could change a simple thing on the whim. But yeah, I'd be okay with checking for legality rather than legitimacy (probably would need to stop finding my Pokemon in unnatural places, then), and it would be good to (if legal hacks ARE approved) implement another barrier so to speak to prevent them from overrunning WiFi Competitions (a possible reason why the Test Competition is being done). Those are my two cents on some possibilities.

Again, there is so much we do not know about these concepts other than:

A) Will require an annual fee (to manage the system, security, and such).
B) Some sort of hack check will be implemented (to what extent, to what credentials, we do not know).
C) Over 3,000 Pokemon can be stored using this.

So for those who are panicking because of this...calm down. This is only the tip of the iceberg in terms of overall content from this.

My main worry is (do not hate on me I know we do not know much about this) will charizard be banned in ou? I mean look at his stats already and the boosting his special attack along with drought would outclass ninetales wouldn't it? although he would still take 1/2 from stealth rocks if he was used as a lead he would get the sun up guaranteed unless the opponent has a drizzle/sand stream/snow warning on there team he could potentially be broken.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)