Pokémon XY General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're getting down to the wire now. I'm glad this thread is rumour free, as it's the last place to discuss Pokemon XY that doesn't involve a dozen posts about whatever fake screenshot, and whether this is real or that is fake, etc. I'll have to retreat to my bunker soon though, as not even this thread will be safe for long.

Will there be a new thread opened on release day to discuss our in-game plays and all that is discovered? I assume so.

I was kinda scared that they were serious in that Direct video for a second.....

Just to clarify, Beheeyem is based on extraterrestrial beings--there is a difference.

There are some of you that are a bit confused as to why Bigfoot is classified as a fairy and what the actual definition of a fairy is. When people think of fairies, they think of small and cute sprites with wings. People will think of Tinker Bell, Navi, and the like. However, these cute creatures are actually, by definition and lore, pixies. Pixies and fairies are similar, but have different origins are are not the same species; kinda like the difference between trolls and goblins.

Fairies, on the other hand, are beings capable of supernatural or metaphysical powers via magic that are said to form many legends and myths we know today. Fairies are of this world--which is what sets them apart from extraterrestrial beings--but not always of this dimension, plane, or time. Fairies are capable of spreading joy, causing mischief, or completely destroying nations depending on the type and morale of the fairy. Many fairies are incapable of flight or do not have wings. Despite many stereotypes, many fairies do not look humanoid at all (Slenderman and Big Foot).

Lets look at the reason Big Foot and Slenderman are classified as fairies. Big Foot is a creature that lives in dense forests from urban legend that none of proven to exist. There have been claims that people have seen them, but there isn't any evidence to back this. In many folktales (depending on the culture), Big Foot is able to preform metaphysical feats such as jump higher than most animals would be able to. These abilities while sounding simple match up to many of the abilities the lesser known fairy abilities (Oberon's slaves and servants come to mind).

Slenderman, on the other hand, is a maleficent being that does resemble a humanoid figure at times. It uses supernatural powers to change its form, steal children, aggressively stalk victims, and even mutilate bodies. Would you like to know who else is able to do the exact same thing? Oberon himself! Oberon is the KING of fairies and is said to be very maleficent in his own right. He has had mortal men rape his own wife just so he could steal his wife's slaves.
Big Foot is just some ape thing that 50 year old neckbeards futilely hunt in the woods. It's not that complicated. I thought the whole shtick with things like Big Foot, Chupacabra, etc., was that people viewed them as "cryptids" which are explained by attempting to keep them rooted in reality as much as possible, aka there is a definite distinction made between fantastical creatures like fairies. I would never think of Big Foot as a fairy simply because its believers put it on the same level as things like okapis. It's not meant to be a metaphysical being. Natural vs Supernatural, yadda yadda.

I'll give you Slenderman, though.

I'm choosing fennekin! Doesn't matter the type...if it's fire/psychic, fire/fairy or pure fire...I think it has more "class" than the others and i like it.....

I've gone with the Fire starter on my first playthrough for the last 3 generations (though I boxed Tepig, I just wanted the free Pansage). It's time for something new: Team Froakie or Team Chespin! Is no one else spur of the moment?!

It's going to be so insane to see the starters' final evolutions, not knowing them yet. It could be really cool or a big letdown, haha. "Wait ... Chespinata evolved into THIS?!" followed by "AWESOME!" or "Seriously?!".

Going off subject.

For those who have not gotten the 3DS before the announcement of X&Y, which console did you go for?
The 2DS, 3DS XL, or special edition.

Just curious...

Spoilers meaning information that is not released in an official capacity. The definition of spoiler I was using is clear from the first line of the post you quoted. It is assumed on a Pokémon forum such as this one that people will keep up with the basics of reveals such as the few Pokémon revealed prior to release, mega evolutions, etc. It is not assumed that they want to spoil major plot details, every single Pokémon, etc. It is not that hard to wait for a spoilers thread to be started once we get reliable leaks.
I absolutely understand what you're saying. I was only saying that some users may not be clear on what was up for discussion. Cheers dude.

I'm on #TeamFroakie, rounding out my own FWG core with Torchic and Bulbasaur. Blaziken's one of my favorite fully-evolved starters, and I foresee Venusaur's Poison typing being super useful in dealing with the Fairy-types Blaziken (and Froakie's final evo, should it receive the Fighting type) will have trouble with. The other three slots on my team will likely rotate about as I discover new Pokémon, but Tyrunt/Tyrantrum has a good chance of becoming a permanent 4th member because--

I'm going with Fennekin & Squirtle, not sure on a grass type yet. I'd rather save my Torchic for competitive wifi battles when it's time & EV train it. As for the 3ds, I'll be using my Fire Emblem Awakening 3ds to play Y.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I apologize for the other moderator's moving this thread to trou.

THIS THREAD IS ONLY FOR DISCUSSING INFORMATION OFFICIALLY RELEASED BY NINTENDO/GAME FREAK. THIS THREAD WILL BE CLOSED UPON OFFICIAL RELEASE OF THE GAMES AND NEW, SPECIFIC THREADS WILL BE STARTED.

Awesome; this means that we won't have to deal with rumors from Pokebeach, etc.

Also, just to clarify, I assume this means that speculation isn't allowed?

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
You can wander a bit from concrete information as long as everything you discuss is related to something that has been officially revealed.

You will be harshly infracted if you knowingly post information that contains spoilers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 7)